Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Idea: Allow Facial Capture for Characters

• 74 posts
    December 14, 2016 9:30 PM PST

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if the Pantheon team has entertained the idea of allowing facial scans/pictures to be uploaded for use on character models? I think I remember Quake World allowing something like that many years ago. Even with thousands of players it doesn't seem like a small picture for bringing our own likeness into the game would be too resource heavy.

I think it would be pretty sweet to see this feature implemented. I understand you may need to get some photo release and some people probably like the idea of escaping the restrictions of the way they look in a fantasy game, but options can be a great thing.

Thanks,

-Prindan

• 2886 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:44 AM PST

If you mean having my face literally appear on the head of my character, then no. I think that would look ridiculous tbh. Oh god I can only imagine the nightmare.

EQN was toying around with some technology where your webcam would just capture your facial expression and then your character's face would mimic that facial expression (eyes, mouth, etc.) in real time. But you could still only see the character's face. This is a pretty cool feature, especially for roleplayers. But personally, I still hope they are focusing on other more important things.

• 1434 posts
    December 15, 2016 3:58 AM PST

I could make a sick female bearded dwarf.

• 9115 posts
    December 15, 2016 4:11 AM PST

Yeah, I can safely say that isn't something we are considering, I don't think it would suit our game and the resources needed to achieve this would just not be worth it for us.

• 2130 posts
    • 74 posts
    December 15, 2016 7:04 AM PST

Kilsin said:

Yeah, I can safely say that isn't something we are considering, I don't think it would suit our game and the resources needed to achieve this would just not be worth it for us.

I appreciate the quick response! I was just trying to think outside the bun :D.

Something to help differentiate Pantheon even further from current MMOs, but I understand it not being worth your time in the grand scheme of things.

• 844 posts
    December 15, 2016 7:16 AM PST

With a tiny development team it would be expected that only core "must have" features will be built. Simply creating enough content will be challenging enough.

And when any kind of player access occurs some of that team may get involved with running down hacks, cheats, bugs, etc.

This post was edited by zewtastic at December 15, 2016 7:18 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    December 15, 2016 7:24 AM PST

Liav said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nba-2k15s-face-scans-resulting-in-terrifyingly-hil/1100-6422799/

lol! Thank you for this. This "feature" would single-handedly ruin the whole game.

• 188 posts
    December 15, 2016 7:25 AM PST

Completely indpendent of the idea being implemented in Pantheon, the forum topic immediately gave me terrible flashbacks to Dave Georgeson and SOEmote technology.  

As for facial capture, I think the technology has improved in a lot of ways -- but I'm guessing in this type of game it would only be about 45 seconds until you saw a player running through a newbie zone with private parts where the face should be.  

• 2886 posts
    December 15, 2016 7:29 AM PST

Hannar said:

Completely indpendent of the idea being implemented in Pantheon, the forum topic immediately gave me terrible flashbacks to Dave Georgeson and SOEmote technology.  

Same. Although I wouldn't say "terrible" flashbacks. I thought the technology was pretty cool, even though I doubt I would have ever used it. But any time I'm reminded of how much of a colossal failure EQN was, it's kinda painful lol

Hannar said:

As for facial capture, I think the technology has improved in a lot of ways -- but I'm guessing in this type of game it would only be about 45 seconds until you saw a player running through a newbie zone with private parts where the face should be.  

This. Exactly.

• 1434 posts
    December 15, 2016 8:35 AM PST

Calling someone a butthead could take on a whole new meaning.

• 690 posts
    December 15, 2016 11:18 AM PST

Dullahan said:

Calling someone a butthead could take on a whole new meaning.

I guess I'm the only one who immediately considered scanning Hello Kitty...

• 74 posts
    December 15, 2016 11:28 AM PST

Well at least this was a funny discussion ;p

• 28 posts
    December 15, 2016 11:41 AM PST

30 seconds in and the first ban would happen for some joker putting pr0n as his picture.

Nothing good could come of this.

--Gray

• 114 posts
    December 16, 2016 7:49 AM PST

I, for one, would hate to be responsible for the thousands of monitors broken due to my face showing up on their screens. It's not right, and I won't do that to people!

• 763 posts
    December 16, 2016 9:55 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

I guess I'm the only one who immediately considered scanning Hello Kitty...

When I saw your name and compared to the earlier worries, I must admit to getting an awkward mental image of players running round in a type of icky reworking a-la 'Beav** and Butthead'

'No', 'hell no' and 'please god no!'

PS: This creates the same problem as allowing players to upload a 'coat of arms' to be put on shields or cloaks! Get ready to scrub your minds with copious quantities of 'bleach of unseeing'.

This post was edited by Evoras at December 16, 2016 9:56 AM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 17, 2016 11:31 AM PST

EQ2 had its SOEmote, or whatever Daybreak changed the name to. It allowed a camera to translate your expressions to your character. If you smiled, so did your toon. If you stuck your tongue out, so did your toon. It did not put your face on the character, just activated facial expressions that your toon could do.