Forums » The Rogue

Stances

• 66 posts
    December 14, 2016 4:19 AM PST

On the last stream. were the rogue stances explained what they were? i know they're subject to change and were inactive. but i'm assuming it would be offensive, stealth, and defensive? i see plenty of daggers on one so i assume that's the offensive stance. the boot i'm assuming is the stealth stance(maybe gets stronger the more successful you are with stealth attacks kind of like in VG?), and defensive(survivalist?) stance? this is all speculation on my part and if i'm wrong, please lets me know lol.  personally i would love another stealth level up mechanic like in Vanguard. what's everyones opinion on the rogue having different stances?

• 1917 posts
    December 14, 2016 5:39 AM PST

No he didn't elaborate on it at all - I think he called them "modes" and just that they do "different things." I wish he had explained more; although they're probably going to change significantly anyway. It's anyone's guess at this point. So why not, here's mine... the three archetypes (for lack of a better word) of Rogues I can think of are:

-Assassin: poison, increased backstab dmg

-Evade: increased movement speed, AC/dodge

-Ninja: increased climb, damage with throwing daggers/shurikens/short bows.

These are of course very rough examples. Not sure how easy it should be to switch between these "modes." This would make a Rogue pretty versatile.

• 37 posts
    December 14, 2016 7:17 AM PST

Edit: Removed. I posted in the wrong category.

This post was edited by Dunkmeister at December 14, 2016 7:19 AM PST
    • 9 posts
    December 27, 2016 5:34 PM PST

When I heard the mention of stances I actually got a little concerned that some gimmick would be applied to the rog that would detracted from its core role. And then they did not elaborate at all!

I really hope the stances do not somehow try to "hybrid" a rog with some sort of a defensive quasi off tank stance or something of that nature. Really a rog needs to be squishy, stealthy and have high dsp. Anything more than that would likely be an excuse to detract from one of those core tenants.

This post was edited by Delvesh at December 27, 2016 5:45 PM PST
    • 649 posts
    March 13, 2017 9:47 PM PDT

Delvesh said:

When I heard the mention of stances I actually got a little concerned that some gimmick would be applied to the rog that would detracted from its core role. And then they did not elaborate at all!

I really hope the stances do not somehow try to "hybrid" a rog with some sort of a defensive quasi off tank stance or something of that nature. Really a rog needs to be squishy, stealthy and have high dsp. Anything more than that would likely be an excuse to detract from one of those core tenants.

In VG I'm pretty sure every class had 3 stances and if PRF does them anything like VG I don't think you have anything to worry about. My bard had 3 stances where 2 were different ways of doing more dps, one was a flat out boost to damage where the other was an increase to crit, while the 3rd was a defensive boost such as a boost to dodge or something.

So most classes stances were just giving you different ways to play your class's role and not giving you a way to perform too many roles. Even the pally that had a tank stance, a healing stance, and a dps stance wasn't really breaking class/role interdependancy. The pally could switch to a healing stance where IF the pally obtained a set of healing gear they could actually do a decent amount of heals but they could never heal a full group doing hard content.

• 1917 posts
    March 14, 2017 6:54 AM PDT

Delvesh said:

They didn't elaborate because it was so early in the process of balancing combat. It was not at all finalized so they didn't want to give details that would end up being removed or changed later. For all we know, they may take the stances out completely. Although what's more likely is they are just different ways of performing the same role. It's a little too early to be worried.

• 447 posts
    April 5, 2017 5:17 AM PDT

Bazgrim said:

No he didn't elaborate on it at all - I think he called them "modes" and just that they do "different things." I wish he had explained more; although they're probably going to change significantly anyway. It's anyone's guess at this point. So why not, here's mine... the three archetypes (for lack of a better word) of Rogues I can think of are:

-Assassin: poison, increased backstab dmg

-Evade: increased movement speed, AC/dodge

-Ninja: increased climb, damage with throwing daggers/shurikens/short bows.

These are of course very rough examples. Not sure how easy it should be to switch between these "modes." This would make a Rogue pretty versatile.

This would be intersting and i could see something like this, but i think he didn't get into it for the fact they weren't finished with the idea and didn't want to half *** explain something that simply wasn't finished and so when it is completed he can give a much more detailed idea of what each one of these stances, "modes" actually do and make it much more intriguing when he finally does.

• 29 posts
    May 5, 2017 2:28 PM PDT

Delvesh said:

I don't think you need to worry about this too much. The devs are constantly reassuring us that every class will have it's role and they keep stressing class interdependence, so I doubt they'll try to push rogues towards being tanky at all.