Forums » Pantheon Classes

Is the Dire Lord a Tank or Necro?

• 1618 posts
    December 12, 2016 6:07 PM PST

Is the Dire Lord a tank or is it Pantheon's necromancers? The class-specific forum goes both ways.

• 595 posts
    December 12, 2016 8:40 PM PST

Tank.

• 1778 posts
    December 12, 2016 8:43 PM PST

I would say Tank with a necro influence. In the same way you might consider Crusader a tank with a cleric influence.

• 40 posts
    December 13, 2016 2:23 AM PST

Tank.  Think EQ's SK I guess.

• 2886 posts
    December 13, 2016 3:12 AM PST

I initially thought it was more of a necro but then I found the original Kickstarter campaign announcement that clearly said DLs are tanks. Plus, in the last stream they said that Necros will be coming to the game after launch. So that means DLs are like SKs.

• 1778 posts
    December 13, 2016 6:50 AM PST

Bazgrim, the only thing about that is after the kickstarter they kind of went back to the drawing board. Thats not to say to completely disregard that info, but in a lot of cases its no longer accurate. For instance there were races and classes and features I believe that are no longer part of the plan. 

And just in case what I said earlier was confusing. I dont mean that DLs are Necros. If it sounded that way I didnt mean it that way. They will have a full on Necro and Bard out eventually. What I am saying is more like Tanks that were very similar to SKs with a bit of a necro theme. But I dont really have any further info beyond that. Hopefully we can get info on that soonish.

• 180 posts
    December 14, 2016 3:35 PM PST

I wonder what it is about necros that will require extra time to develop?  I can understand bards being difficult to balance.  

• 1618 posts
    December 14, 2016 3:42 PM PST

They need a reason for you to purchase the first expansion.

• 187 posts
    December 14, 2016 10:28 PM PST

Tank. I have a feeling that the Dire Lord will be heavily influenced by Vanguard's Dread Knight for a couple of reasons. 
    1) Obvious name similarity.
    2) I gathered that the dread knight brought in a pretty unique tanking experience from the videos and write ups I watched/read. I suspect they want to make the hybrid classes more unique rather than using the standard EQ hybrid formula, e.g. warrior + necro = shadow knight
    3) Fills the 3/3/3/3 class division which seems to be established, e.g. 3 casters (enchanter, wizard, summoner), 3 melee dpsers (rogue, ranger, monk), 3 healers/support (shaman, cleric, druid) and 3 tanks (warrior, crusader, and Dire Lord)
    4) The atmosphere mechanism would seem to fit nicely with the fear/dread auras which are emitted by Dread Knight
    5) They already have plans for a Necro.

Vanguard never experienced the glory it deserved due to the known issues. I expect the resurgence of the Dread Knight won't be the only vanguard feature we see.

This post was edited by Syntro at December 14, 2016 10:31 PM PST
    • 80 posts
    December 29, 2016 8:16 AM PST

More then likly end up being the Shadowknight from EQ and have the same kind of abilities. If you watched the streams it is all heavy heavy EQ based stuff.

• 22 posts
    December 31, 2016 11:29 AM PST

Zikkar said:

More then likly end up being the Shadowknight from EQ and have the same kind of abilities. If you watched the streams it is all heavy heavy EQ based stuff.

Most likely has become confirmed. Check out this compilation thread I wrote going over quotes, sources, and other validations. :)

http://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/4880/dire-lord-lineage-expectations-and-speculation

• 154 posts
    March 30, 2017 12:20 AM PDT
    Half warrior half necromancer tank class
    • 40 posts
    August 1, 2017 3:01 PM PDT

Zikkar said:

Honestly, I think this is a very good thing. EQ to date is the most fun, balanced MMO I have ever played. The classes were amazing, we found really odd combo's that wouldn't work in other games and we played on. Hours of grouping and very very hard CR's made being social and helping each other something people just did. Made lots of friends too!

I hope this game is what EQ2 should have been.

Little off topic... im sorry