Forums » Crafting and Gathering

One Tradeskill Per Player?

• 160 posts
    January 15, 2017 9:02 PM PST

Beefcake said:

corpserunner said:

I just don't understand the desire by some to limit others' crafting abilities.  There seems to be a common thread with not liking freedom amongst the playerbase.  If someone can make alts that provide a "grandmaster" in every skill all on the same account, then why bother to limit it at all?

I think it comes down to the game tenant: A requirement that classes have identities. No single player should be able to do everything on their own.

Its basically the same argument in the adventuring class forum. Most people don't want multi-classing, because a player should not be able to switch roles between healing and tanking on the same character. If you want to heal, create a healer. If you want to tank, create a tank. Alts are a key to the game.

So, I think crafting is viewed the same way. One class per character, while you can have as many alt crafters as you want.

However, I cannot buy into any limit stopping me from creating as many crafting alts as I want, other than general character slots. If they allow 5 characters per account, I should be able to create 5 toons that are both tradeskill and adventurers. If they allow 10, the same applies. But, I can buy into one tradeskill class per character, just like the existing one adventurer class per character rule.

In the long term, I want to enjoy as many aspects of the game as I can. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to have a full stable of alts...always have, always will.  So it's not going to hamper me in any way.  I just /boggle sometimes by the over-complicating of things.

• 780 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:14 AM PST

corpserunner said:

I just don't understand the desire by some to limit others' crafting abilities.  There seems to be a common thread with not liking freedom amongst the playerbase.  If someone can make alts that provide a "grandmaster" in every skill all on the same account, then why bother to limit it at all?

I agree with Beefcake that it's similar to the multi-class/multi-spec thing.  For me, I also want crafting to be more than just something everyone does automatically because their characters have the option.  I want it to be more meaningful...but if we're going to have a complex system similar or better than what Vanguard had, I don't think it will be an issue.

• 7 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:51 AM PST

I am hoping for a similar system to Starwars Galaxies for crafting, sans the factories and mechanics.

My ideal crafting dream:

Sokol is running around a hillside; takes out his trsty pickaxe and whacks a few times chipping away a sample. He looks it over and knowing a thing or two about prospecting determines that it's the good stuff with a small mix of metals. He proceedes to take a few more whacks and gathers a small pile to take back to his/a forge. He proceedes to make several different grade ingots of the collected ores, and decides he has enough to make a dagger. He makes the dagger from the ingots and determines he has just enough to make another; he proceedes to make another dagger from the ores however these of slightly different metallurgic qualities make the dagger a tad less durable but slightly sharper.

Basically in SWG you could make an item but based off the material you used the stats veried vastly, Not poor quality/better quality; but truly different stats/resists/ etc. I'd love to see this type of mechanic here.

Also the ability to hire an NPC miner for set duration to go mine the materials for you that you found at that specific region/node.

Making an item and writting down the process (making a pattern) then giving that to an NPC smith you could contract for x items and supply him/her the materials and have him re-produce x copies.

That would be my dream crafting system in broad terms. An Iron Plate helm would not always be the same stats, but would have different stats based upon the ingredients. Different Resists/Armor values/Stat adjustments/durability/etc.

~Sokol

• 521 posts
    January 16, 2017 10:53 AM PST

I feel there needs to be measures in place to prevent players from becoming their own suppliers, what good does it do to have a crafting system if anyone can have 6 + characters who are both adventures and crafters. Why would you bother to buy anything from someone else when you can make everything yourselves?

Maybe thats one trade skill per account, or maybe its none of your characters can equip any thing made off that account, maybe its something like SWG did and where your crafting abilitys were a profession not separate from your adventuring profession, but a choice between the two, meaning they drew from the same points system, and every point into crafting came at a cost of your adventuring ability. Maybe thats a crafting system that so complex only the insane would venture into it, or all of the above.

The whole idea of players wanting to be entirely self sufficient feels more like an entitlement mentality of modern MMO’s, which I feel is contrary to the design goals of this MMO, that being to foster at least in part Community involvement and reliance on each other, such as Grouping for Dungeons.

• 1618 posts
    January 16, 2017 11:01 AM PST

HemlockReaper said:

I feel there needs to be measures in place to prevent players from becoming their own suppliers, what good does it do to have a crafting system if anyone can have 6 + characters who are both adventures and crafters. Why would you bother to buy anything from someone else when you can make everything yourselves?

Maybe thats one trade skill per account, or maybe its none of your characters can equip any thing made off that account, maybe its something like SWG did and where your crafting abilitys were a profession not separate from your adventuring profession, but a choice between the two, meaning they drew from the same points system, and every point into crafting came at a cost of your adventuring ability. Maybe thats a crafting system that so complex only the insane would venture into it, or all of the above.

The whole idea of players wanting to be entirely self sufficient feels more like an entitlement mentality of modern MMO’s, which I feel is contrary to the design goals of this MMO, that being to foster at least in part Community involvement and reliance on each other, such as Grouping for Dungeons.

Are you going to limit everyone to one adventurer class also, to increase dependency?

• 521 posts
    January 16, 2017 11:08 AM PST

Beefcake said:

HemlockReaper said:

Are you going to limit everyone to one adventurer class also, to increase dependency?

Adventures are already dependent on each other, the only thing close to the crafter situation would be multi-boxing

• 194 posts
    January 16, 2017 12:33 PM PST

I disagree with having one tradeskill per player. Everyone should be able to have a basic proficiency in most skills, because certain skills are almost guaranteed to be more profitable due to difficulty later on. To balance this a little bit, basic items should be able to be crafted by anyone, gated by skill level.

• 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 12:56 PM PST

Chimerical said:

I make alts to enjoy the many facets of a game I like.  I will craft items for my other professions, but that doesn't preclude my using other crafters.  I often buy items from other crafters, even if I have the ability to make them myself.  You can only do so many things, and I love buying lower level components from those crafters skilling up.  It helps me move along at a better pace and gives them incentive to pursue their tradeskill career.  Personally I'm for alts, both from an adventuring perspective and a crafting one.

Exactly this,  crafting is my main thing,  but I do buy off other crafters as well,  either because I can't be bothered to make x, y and z,  or to promote the crafting community, along with the adventuring community.  I love my alts, have always had alts, for the different experiences.  I don't plan on not having alts.   Some will be adventurers, some will be crafters.  Some will be low levels to help out other low levels gain a foothold in that virtual world.      There's an old saying that goes like this:   K.I.S.S.  (translation "keep it simple stupid")    Why reinvent the wheel,   yes have Pantheon's own crafting system, yes to new ways of crafting (if that makes logical sense) otherwise don't fix what ain't broke. :P  I will be exploring this large virtual world,  with whichever class or adventurer I decide out of whimsey, or out of curiosity to see what unfolds, to enhance my experience, and (to get my money's worth if it comes right down to it.)

• 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 1:10 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Jimmayus said:

The last does beg the question: what about race-restricted? I never played EQ, but from what I understand they designed as system in which the recipes for certain items were culturally specific and thus you needed affiliation with that culture in order to make the item. Would such things be ok? I believe so, as they are almost by definition not arbitary restrictions, seek to engage the player in the lore and the world of Pantheon, and serve to create even more niches. 

I can totally imagine some sort of Ogre armor or something that is specific to their culture. Maybe there is a specific way ogres have been making that armor for generations, but of course Elves aren't necessarily gonna know how to make it. There are trade secrets. That just makes sense logically. It may be easier for an Ogre to learn how to make it because they are right there in their starting city. But if a crafter of another race somehow hears about it and wants to learn how to make it, they may have to travel all the way to that city, develop a good reputation with the citizens, and then train under that crafter until they know how to make it themselves. It of course would be a much longer process but it is still theoretically possible.

In EQ,  high elves had a cultural armor they could make for themselves,  you started it in Felwithe,  the high elf city.   Hope to see cultural armors again. :)

• 780 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:08 PM PST

HemlockReaper said:

...maybe its something like SWG did and where your crafting abilitys were a profession not separate from your adventuring profession, but a choice between the two, meaning they drew from the same points system, and every point into crafting came at a cost of your adventuring ability. Maybe thats a crafting system that so complex only the insane would venture into it, or all of the above.

I'd love to see a system where you have to make choices between adventuring ability and crafting ability, but I don't think we're going to see it in PRF.

• 97 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:02 PM PST

HemlockReaper said:

Crafting in VG was hard.  Much harder then adventuring.  If it is stupid easy in this game like in Archeage or EQ1 (only other games I have really played), then I could understand what your saying.  I was in Die Hards in VG (I believe Kilsin was as well), and there were 700 people in that guild.  I built the guild house because I was the only person that had a crafter above level 41 in the necessary crafting proficiencies.  Thats how rare crafters were in VG early stages.  You start limiting crafters and you run the risk if either paying outrageous prices or never seeing what you want for sale. 

I didn't craft to be self sufficient.  I crafted because I enjoyed it and I made alot of plat doing it.  Crafted gear in VG was Bind on Equip, so once you put it on, you couldnt remove it to sell it later, so I rarely wore what I crafted.  I think I sold 99% of what I crafted. 

• 521 posts
    January 16, 2017 6:46 PM PST

Gragorie said:

HemlockReaper said:

Crafting in VG was hard.  Much harder then adventuring.  If it is stupid easy in this game like in Archeage or EQ1 (only other games I have really played), then I could understand what your saying.  I was in Die Hards in VG (I believe Kilsin was as well), and there were 700 people in that guild.  I built the guild house because I was the only person that had a crafter above level 41 in the necessary crafting proficiencies.  Thats how rare crafters were in VG early stages.  You start limiting crafters and you run the risk if either paying outrageous prices or never seeing what you want for sale. 

I didn't craft to be self sufficient.  I crafted because I enjoyed it and I made alot of plat doing it.  Crafted gear in VG was Bind on Equip, so once you put it on, you couldnt remove it to sell it later, so I rarely wore what I crafted.  I think I sold 99% of what I crafted. 

Yeah I played Vanguard, its actually 1 of 3 Limited/Special edition MMO’s Boxed Copies I have, but I'm certainly referring to the level of crafting difficulty more prevalent in MMO’s, Take ESO for example (Before it went free), Crafting was stupid easy.

This post was edited by HemlockReaper at January 16, 2017 6:47 PM PST
    • 97 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:21 PM PST

I am hoping for challenging and assuming its going to be based on what I have heard.  I want crafting to be more like if you ask in global chat people ony name off 4-5 people that can make what you need as opposed to walking into 1 of dozens of cities and doing a shout and getting 20-30 tells back in return.  I want to have to make spreadsheets and have tons of bookmarks.  I went through 4 computers on VG and I cringe at the amount of data and work I had that was lost.  But if it is easy I will probably get bored and quit eventually.  I have an odd work schedule so I tend to be needing to do solo stuff 40-50% of the time (alot of overnight and daytime). 

• 393 posts
    January 17, 2017 3:48 AM PST

I'm not sure how being able to master all tradeskills on one character will galvanize the concept of interdependence and foster a social ethic. Hrm.

However, in EQ, multiple skill mastery (of some level) was neccessary for the shawl quest. Assuming Pantheon will have similar tradeskill quests in place.

I would favor an approach where individuals could Grandmaster in one tradeskill; a reflection of their expertise in one area of crafting while being completely able to manage some lesser mastery in other tradeskills.

I've been very curious to see where VR wishes to take crafting.

• 6 posts
    March 6, 2017 10:56 PM PST

Krissvalnor said:

My comment and preference for a limited number of tradeskill allowed per character comes from the same desire the devs have to foster community and cooperation, if you can do everything yourself why bother to go see another crafter for a component you need for your own craft ?

They tried this in EQ2 to "foster community and cooperation". Guess what happened? In my case I had to roll Alchemist and Woodworker alts right at the beginning to make the componets needed for my main's Sage recipes.  The price people were charging for combines (if I could find someone to do it) was more than what I could make off of selling my spells and I was going broke. The guild alchemists were too busy making potions/poisons for their and guild use plus some to sell to make cash for their spells during the time they could devote to tradeskilling (spending all day harvesting/crafting was not on their agenda). The same went for the one woodworker in the guild -- she was too busy making arrows, weapons, shields and totems.

Eventually I ended up with alts with every tradeskill and eventually they all got their epics. 

This post was edited by Nahanni at March 6, 2017 10:57 PM PST
    • 84 posts
    March 7, 2017 11:31 AM PST

I believe the best way to prevent an individual from being a 'jack of all trades', is to implement a crafting system that is robust, complex, and challenging.  Basically, let's say as an example, the crafting system is designed so that it takes the average player 5 years to obtain what would generally be considered a master tradesperson of their chosen craft.  Well then your average player is definately not going to have enough time to become very proficient with more than one or perhaps two different crafts.  Then when you consider that the typical player might also want to spend some of that time doing progression in the adventure sphere and other in game activities, such as questing, epics, faction, deitiy/religion, and raiding.  You can quickly see that a 'jack of all trades', it just not viable path and the game will have achieved a dynamic interdependent economy in which different professions will need to actively be selling, bartering, and trading items; so as to be able to progress in their chosen craft.

• 3016 posts
    March 7, 2017 6:42 PM PST

Five years is rather extreme...just saying.   There are lots of people who love to craft because that's what they do.   I craft and I make multiple alts,  I help other people and that includes my guild.  If it takes 5 years to get anywhere with crafting..that means you are going to see exhorbitant prices from people who sit on their crafting alt 24/7 to get that mastery.   Which will ruin the player economy...in the long run.   Why are we punishing crafters?   Better to punish RMT and those that buy from gold sellers plat sellers  power levellers.    I am pretty sure you won't see "many" jack of all trades crafters on one character,  not if Pantheon lives up to their tenets.   By making crafted armor and such almost rare due to length of time to get there (five years) you are going to encourage people to seek the easy way out...RMT..etc.   Leave it as an enjoyable pastime.  I would rather see a limit on each character such as Wow had don't remember it exactly but I think you could craft two main craft items and then a couple of secondarys such as fishing or cooking.    I wouldn't have a problem with a setup like that.    Still takes time to level each thing up..and then the buying and selling of items to complete what you're working on.      I don't want to feel like I am walking on a bed of hot coals every time I craft.   Thank you :P

• 84 posts
    March 7, 2017 8:06 PM PST

The amount of time was just an example and really the journey is what should be enjoyable, not necessarily reaching the fabled master tradecraft promised land.

The point is; if Pantheon has lots to do, then there will be no need to worry about people maxing out every possible tradecraft and thereby becoming self sufficient with no need to interact with the community.

• 3016 posts
    March 7, 2017 9:37 PM PST

Trustar said:

The amount of time was just an example and really the journey is what should be enjoyable, not necessarily reaching the fabled master tradecraft promised land.

The point is; if Pantheon has lots to do, then there will be no need to worry about people maxing out every possible tradecraft and thereby becoming self sufficient with no need to interact with the community.

Exactly..but I want time to do other things,  not just nose to the grindstone to attain the almost unattainable.  :)  Pantheon will have lots to do ..they mention this from time to time. :)

• 16 posts
    March 8, 2017 9:31 AM PST

I usually embrace Tradeskills as a source of, "I was in the area hunting, and the node was there, and I hate to waste things, so...  Tradeskill!"  And usually draw entertainment from it in the process.  If not, then I shelve it.

In my (humble) opinion, I believe that the number of tradeskills one should be allowed to Master (or Grand-Master) should be based from how many skills would be offered.

It's been said, that while I too have a minor passion for ALTs, I dislike being forced to play one (or several!) when my focus is on advancing my main- JUST to be able to support my main's Tradeskill fetish, er... Skill Afficianado'ness...  *eye-roll*

Further, I am fond of Blacksmithing OVER sub-class specialties of Armorer, Weaponsmith, Tool-maker, Thumb-tack'er...  (what?  look it up!).

If you have a skill hard-cap of say (Just random cap-stone numbers.  NOT implying that any game stats be set to these limits.), 200 (Mastery), with 300 being the epitomy of the trade (Grand-Master), then it would stand to reason that one skill at 300 and several at 200 would make a nice ceiling should the be cooperative, or even desirable.

If there're twelve (12) skills proposed (AGAIN, random!), then give us the option to raise nine or ten to 150, and two or three above that to 200, and only One (1) of those two/three above that to 300.

Just a peave from limitations; but, The Blacksmith should make Armor AND Weapons.

What about the inclusion of Harvest skills (ala-Vanguard's: Mining, Skinning, etc.) and a means refine the materials into useful forms for the parent-crafts?  Potentially everyone of the adventuring mind-set could be a Harvester, if not the actual crafter themselves.  I can remember killing in the Gorge for clay drops and cursing my bags for not having enough weight reduction to tote the drops back to my wife's enchanter for vial-making to further her enchanting (remember the Vials of X-mana?).

I have faith that these discussions and the DEVs thoughtfullness will work it out, but I'd like to read more.

Love's me some tradeskills...

Game On!

• 902 posts
    March 9, 2017 3:38 AM PST

Basic crafting should be attainable by anyone and have a broad base, so I don’t have a problem with a character being able to make a satisfying flatfish campbake, or be able to create a knife from a flint, some horn and some leather thread, for instance. Getting good at a sandwich should take some repetition, but not tons and lead into more complicated meals. However, these would be everyday items, yes useful and functional, but not adding anything extraordinary. Once the basics are in place, then characters would have to go into the world and explore what's out there to get any better. Finding recipes and trainers out in the wilds. Specialisation should now start to kick in, reducing the type of crafts that they can get better at, specialising in an aspect. Wood, metal, leather, food, etc.

Becoming an expert in a field should take dedication. Finding the expert NPCs and getting them to trust then train you. This should take time and only when you have earned the NPC's respect. Gain reputation with that NPC which should be earned in game terms and over time. Once attained, then they would become willing to give you their secrets. Some repitition being required to learn the finer details, but not much. The adventuring side to get to this position is the time sink, and it slows down crafting in a natural, game orientated way, not a boring, mass repetitive side game.

Becoming a master should restrict further the kind of items produced; fletching, armour, weapons, drinks, meals, etc. These progressions should be very involved, interwoven with everything the game mechanics allow, make it part of the character's journey. 

Then grand master should be further restricted to one type of item; helms or gauntlets or swords or bows or hindering potions or beneficial potions, etc.

Racial aspects of crafting should be in place and mean something over any visual effect too and make them difficult to impossible for non-race types to complete. For instance, I can see Ogres manipulating metals in different ways to dwarves and humans, each imbuing the resultant item with differing effects. Maybe a human could lean an Ogre's way of beating metal, but his lack of power would mean he could never quite get it as well as a true Ogre would. But then an Ogre could learn the techniques that a human could implement, but his clumsy fingers would never allow the fine details obtainable by the human. These restrictions should result in an item that is never quite as good as if the appropriate racial character had made it. Still good, just not quite as good.

Each level of crafting requiring better trainers, harder to attain materials, both located in heavy adventure environments. Crafting should be intrinsic to the game and naturally part of and interwoven in the game. Each level of crafting should be difficult to achieve, but not in a repetitive way. In a game orientated way.

IMO: Repetition.. no, in-depth, involved, in-game progression, yes.

• 38 posts
    March 10, 2017 9:54 PM PST

This ^^

CanadinaXegony said:

Five years is rather extreme...just saying.   There are lots of people who love to craft because that's what they do.   I craft and I make multiple alts,  I help other people and that includes my guild.  If it takes 5 years to get anywhere with crafting..that means you are going to see exhorbitant prices from people who sit on their crafting alt 24/7 to get that mastery.   Which will ruin the player economy...in the long run.   Why are we punishing crafters?   Better to punish RMT and those that buy from gold sellers plat sellers  power levellers.    I am pretty sure you won't see "many" jack of all trades crafters on one character,  not if Pantheon lives up to their tenets.   By making crafted armor and such almost rare due to length of time to get there (five years) you are going to encourage people to seek the easy way out...RMT..etc.   Leave it as an enjoyable pastime.  I would rather see a limit on each character such as Wow had don't remember it exactly but I think you could craft two main craft items and then a couple of secondarys such as fishing or cooking.    I wouldn't have a problem with a setup like that.    Still takes time to level each thing up..and then the buying and selling of items to complete what you're working on.      I don't want to feel like I am walking on a bed of hot coals every time I craft.   Thank you :P

• 115 posts
    March 17, 2017 10:40 AM PDT

Just weighing in with my two-bits. 

----

Limiting the Number of Crafting Professions per Character: The reasoning that some people go with this school of thought are varied, but usually boil down to:

1) Forcing community cooperation/interaction.

2) Believe it will somehow make a difference in the game economy.

----

Unlimited Number of Crafting Professions per Character: People that are in this camp believe that their characters should have the freedom to do as they will.

----

Restricting how many professions a character can have is ultimately artificial. I could almost understand this point of view if the game only let you have one (and one only) character per server. 

People that love to craft (myself included) will inevitably just create alts to pick up the other crafting professions. Further, the really dedicated crafters will just have multiple accounts to do the same.

The inter-depencency of crafting professions can (and will) be done this way for people that like to do it all. It would just be a minor inconvenience to trade stuff between alts.

----

There is really no difference between:

ITEMXX - created by someone that has only one grand-mastered trade skill profession.

and

ITEMXX - created by someone that has five alts that are grand-mastered in all the trade skill professions.

----

In summary, there will always be markets for the buying/selling of crafting materials, as well as the finished products (no matter how the item was ultimately created)

This post was edited by Bonechip at March 17, 2017 3:20 PM PDT
    • 80 posts
    March 17, 2017 4:39 PM PDT

I believe that everything in crafting should be more useful or mostly equal to what is dropped in game. Unless of course it's off a raid boss.

Mastering a tradeskill should be an endeavoring quest like doing a Epic in EQ that contains having to gather very rare items (only available for the relevent Epic Crafting Quest) to craft a list of items that too are only avaiable to make in the Epic adventure. 

Then once you obtained Mastery, everything that you can create is now labeled mastercrafted and their stats are increased to be incredibly beneficial for the respective level.

It might need some work, but I see that being a good way to make crafting have staying power in the game.

Edit* Materials for mastercrafted can be the same, but you have to do something to them to make them a High Quality material. Just to add to the effort needed to make mastercrafted items.

This post was edited by Makinelly at March 19, 2017 7:20 AM PDT
    • 21 posts
    March 20, 2017 10:38 PM PDT

I believe in making it difficult, however, it should also be useful to the adventurer's that ONLY wish to fight.

If the adventurer's out level the crafter, crafter's have nothing to offer the adventurer and will always be making 'garbage' compaired to what the adventurer can 'loot' off Mobs XYZ

It will be a hard balance that the game makers will need to look at closely, unless as hard as it is to level a crafter it is 3x harder to level an adventurer

Do they cater to the 'I win' kiddies that want max level in 3 weeks, or to the crafters that wish to have something to offer to the Adventurer's as they level while making Crafting difficult enough to weed out the weekend wanna-be's ?