Forums » The Dwarves

One with the Mountain

• 4042 posts
    December 9, 2016 11:00 AM PST

I may not be the first to notice this, but upon re-reading the Dwarf lore, I noticed some very interesting clues that the dwarves in Pantheon with actually be made of not human-like flesh, but of course a mysterious combination of living ice and stone! For one thing, just look at their concept art - their skin appears to be a light blueish-gray, like slate.

"In the very beginning, it was Khazas who brought together what the Dwarves call The Balanced Pair. This would become the seed of the Dwarven people. In one hand, he held a fragment of stone from the heart of Coldark Peak, the mountain he himself shaped to be the throne of the Triumvirate. In the other hand, he held a shard of the Ice of Ry’Fel, which she gave joyfully to him, willing him to add its life to the Dwarven people... Then in a moment, the first Dwarves opened their eyes to see the Dwarven Father."

Additionally, "Of the many new inhabitants on Terminus, it is believed the Dwarves were the first to arrive during the Age of Isolation." - gives a whole new meaning to 'old as dirt' lol.

I hope this theory is true and that it makes playing a dwarf a very unique experience. There are a lot of implications this could bring:

-decreased damage from slashing weapons, but increased damage from blunt weapons

-poison resistance or immunity

-increased constitution

-decreased performance is hot climates?

... the list could go on and on.

What do you guys think?

X

• 79 posts
    December 9, 2016 12:42 PM PST

I would like to see an expansion of the "genetics" of races to go beyond the simple starting stats, if its going to be used at all, but that all depends on the complexity of the combat system code.

You have the right idea about gain/loss in balancing but there is another set of alternatives.  Perhaps as we gain in power we reclaim a stronger connection to our creator and gain more and more uniquely Dwarf powers - become more like him.  In that case perhaps they don't have to have a balance but are just additional powers gained by level increase.  Or perhaps choices of blessings as you increase so there is some diversity...  This way they are just permanent spell buffs and likely more easy to integrate into the system while still providing some heritage and uniqueness.

Agreed your listing of sample increases are classically dwarf and we could probably expand beyond that for quite some time :)

• 79 posts
    December 9, 2016 12:52 PM PST

This could also add some additional culture options for instance if you went to the god's temple and performed a cerimony along with some collected items in order to re-allocate or re-choose your powers.

• 4042 posts
    December 10, 2016 12:19 AM PST

Agreed some of the benefits of being made of stone are similar to traditional dwarf racial bonuses. But yes a race choice should permeate almost every aspect of character - much more than just stats and abilities. they could and should definitely take it one step further to make it stand out from all the other "fleshy" races so that you truly feel like you are made of ice and stone. (like i said, more difficult to acclimate to hot environments and perhaps become much weaker if the ice element of your life begins to melt, but take almost no damage from cold) I'll hafta think more about some interesting mechanics this could bring...

• 63 posts
    February 6, 2017 7:51 AM PST

Some thoughts I had about dwarfs.

Use runes as an integral part of their spell casting and crafting.  Not to say all spells have to use runes, but that runes are present in some way.

Spells based on ice and stone.  Slow based on freezing as a crowd control option.  Root is feet trapped in rock instead of roots.  AC/health buff is etheral stone armor like stone skin.  General theme like this.

Reduction to movement speed on soft terrain?  Nothing really big but a 1-2% reduction, just enough so you notice the weight of ice and stone.

Massive quest to create a new dwarven home in an untapped mountain system.  Most dwarf literature has this happening but it's always someone else who does the conquering.  Imagine mining quests, construction quests, and quests to clear out areas inhabited by hostile creatures but the areas are permanently changed after the quest is complete so the players are changing the scenery.  Might require a monthly update or maybe even quarterly, but there should be some kind of way to show progress.

• 4042 posts
    February 6, 2017 9:58 AM PST

Ruar said:

Some thoughts I had about dwarfs.

Use runes as an integral part of their spell casting and crafting.  Not to say all spells have to use runes, but that runes are present in some way.

I think I saw this suggested in another subforum and I think it's a pretty cool idea. I think it's a very logical way to make the Dwarves more unique (see below)

Ruar said:

Spells based on ice and stone.  Slow based on freezing as a crowd control option.  Root is feet trapped in rock instead of roots.  AC/health buff is etheral stone armor like stone skin.  General theme like this.

Reduction to movement speed on soft terrain?  Nothing really big but a 1-2% reduction, just enough so you notice the weight of ice and stone.

I have long been a proponent of making it so that race has a profound impact on the way a class feels. The culture of each race should affect the spells, abilities, and strategies that a class uses. In other words, a Dark Myr Wizard should play and feel completely different than an Archai Wizard because the qualities of the races are almost total opposites. Even though they are both wizards, a Dark Myr is probably going to study different spellbooks than an Archai. Why? Because Dark Myr are underwater and filled with bitterness. Meanwhile, Archai are on land (in fact, they're basically made of land) and are filled with joy and celebration. It's only logical that they not have the same exact spell list and use spells in the exact same way. That way, I can play the same class on two different races and have reasonably different play experiences. You give a perfect example of how a Dwarf's Root spell should be slightly different than, perhaps, an Elf's Root spell, which would be slightly different than a Dark Myr's Root (seaweed maybe? lol).

Ruar said:

Massive quest to create a new dwarven home in an untapped mountain system.  Most dwarf literature has this happening but it's always someone else who does the conquering.  Imagine mining quests, construction quests, and quests to clear out areas inhabited by hostile creatures but the areas are permanently changed after the quest is complete so the players are changing the scenery.  Might require a monthly update or maybe even quarterly, but there should be some kind of way to show progress.

That would be awesome. I haven't heard VR talk about any events or serverwide quests that result in permanent change in the world. The players that took part in it could tell priceless stories about what it was like before that new city was built and the trials they had to endure to make it happen. This would inspire new players that come along years from now. That was a big selling point of EQN before they flopped. I think it would be pretty cool, but it would also be complicated. I think we would have heard more about this if VR had serious plans to make this sort of thing happen. But you never know....

• 60 posts
    December 15, 2018 3:05 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

I may not be the first to notice this, but upon re-reading the Dwarf lore, I noticed some very interesting clues that the dwarves in Pantheon with actually be made of not human-like flesh, but of course a mysterious combination of living ice and stone! For one thing, just look at their concept art - their skin appears to be a light blueish-gray, like slate.

"In the very beginning, it was Khazas who brought together what the Dwarves call The Balanced Pair. This would become the seed of the Dwarven people. In one hand, he held a fragment of stone from the heart of Coldark Peak, the mountain he himself shaped to be the throne of the Triumvirate. In the other hand, he held a shard of the Ice of Ry’Fel, which she gave joyfully to him, willing him to add its life to the Dwarven people... Then in a moment, the first Dwarves opened their eyes to see the Dwarven Father."

Additionally, "Of the many new inhabitants on Terminus, it is believed the Dwarves were the first to arrive during the Age of Isolation." - gives a whole new meaning to 'old as dirt' lol.

I hope this theory is true and that it makes playing a dwarf a very unique experience. There are a lot of implications this could bring:

-decreased damage from slashing weapons, but increased damage from blunt weapons

-poison resistance or immunity

-increased constitution

-decreased performance is hot climates?

... the list could go on and on.

What do you guys think?

X

increased CON would be great and fits as well as the slash defense with the blunt increased damage taken. The decreased performance in hot/scortching environment like lower damage output? im cool with that if all races have a similar debuff from envirnments as well. but very minimal only though. I would love a perception buff for the dwarves to find treasure and or maybe finding a random gold piece in the environment? maybe a racial resist as well but not an immunity.

This post was edited by Quambu at December 15, 2018 3:06 AM PST
    • 11 posts
    March 8, 2019 5:51 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

While I agree that would be fitting, I would alter it slightly.

Drawing from real world, both sledgehammers and picks (blunt and piercing) are very effictive on ice and stone while swords (slashing) obviously isn't.

To build on your idea, I would think something like; X% decreased damage from slashing, combined with 1/2X% increased damage from blunt AND 1/2X% increased damage from piercing