Forums » Pantheon Races

Race Locations and speculations...

• 284 posts
    December 19, 2016 7:09 PM PST

As with so many other things, I would imagine that direct travel will mirror EQ and its progeny more than WoW-style. In other words, while it will be possible it will be on the 'more difficult' side of the scale due simply to distance and the prevalence of high level zones in between starting areas.

• 2886 posts
    December 20, 2016 7:47 AM PST

My opinion may be unpopular, but I think it's important to not have any easy way to travel between starting cities. That just seems really watered-down. For example, if I'm a Halfling, but there's always tons of Elves, Gnomes, Humans, etc. running around my home city, it's not gonna really feel like a home at all! I also think would make the world feel a lot smaller and less dangerous. At that point, you might as well just have all players start in the same city. Or maybe two cities (good and evil). I actually, at lower levels, want to fear straying too far from my home.

I personally wouldn't mind having to agree with someone else about what race we're gonna play as if we want to run together from the start. But I still remember in old EQ when my brother and I made new alts of different races, I was amazed when he was able to get his low-lvl gnome safely all the way from Ak'Anon to Greater Faydark. I'm sure the trip was fun and exciting because of the risk involved. Sure, maybe some of the starting zones will be relatively close together (like Felwithe and Kelethin), but I trust that they will retain the classic feel of a true home city.

• 780 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:28 PM PST

But I still remember in old EQ when my brother and I made new alts of different races, I was amazed when he was able to get his low-lvl gnome safely all the way from Ak'Anon to Greater Faydark. I'm sure the trip was fun and exciting because of the risk involved. Sure, maybe some of the starting zones will be relatively close together (like Felwithe and Kelethin), but I trust that they will retain the classic feel of a true home city.

For me, it was bringing halflings to Kelethin, but either way, there was a sense of accomplishment.  With these good and evil races clumped together, it kind of feels like you'll just have Skar, Ogres, and Dark Myr everywhere on the one continent and Humans, Elves, and Halflings everywhere on the other.  I really wish they'd mix those around a bit.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the factions (maybe we don't have it right who is good and who is evil, and how tolerant they all are), but that's definitely something I'm nervous about.

• 1618 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:42 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

My opinion may be unpopular, but I think it's important to not have any easy way to travel between starting cities. That just seems really watered-down. For example, if I'm a Halfling, but there's always tons of Elves, Gnomes, Humans, etc. running around my home city, it's not gonna really feel like a home at all! I also think would make the world feel a lot smaller and less dangerous. At that point, you might as well just have all players start in the same city. Or maybe two cities (good and evil). I actually, at lower levels, want to fear straying too far from my home.

I personally wouldn't mind having to agree with someone else about what race we're gonna play as if we want to run together from the start. But I still remember in old EQ when my brother and I made new alts of different races, I was amazed when he was able to get his low-lvl gnome safely all the way from Ak'Anon to Greater Faydark. I'm sure the trip was fun and exciting because of the risk involved. Sure, maybe some of the starting zones will be relatively close together (like Felwithe and Kelethin), but I trust that they will retain the classic feel of a true home city.

I don't care if it's difficult, as long as it's doable. Also, you don't have to port directly to the city, just a zone or two away, like in an open area, such as a Druid circle or wizard spire.

I am fine with guards around being KOS and such, especially if there are neutral vendors out in the open areas. I remember vendors in EQ that were close to popular dungeons tended to be higher price for purchases and gave less when you sold to them.

• 1618 posts
    December 20, 2016 1:43 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

But I still remember in old EQ when my brother and I made new alts of different races, I was amazed when he was able to get his low-lvl gnome safely all the way from Ak'Anon to Greater Faydark. I'm sure the trip was fun and exciting because of the risk involved. Sure, maybe some of the starting zones will be relatively close together (like Felwithe and Kelethin), but I trust that they will retain the classic feel of a true home city.

For me, it was bringing halflings to Kelethin, but either way, there was a sense of accomplishment.  With these good and evil races clumped together, it kind of feels like you'll just have Skar, Ogres, and Dark Myr everywhere on the one continent and Humans, Elves, and Halflings everywhere on the other.  I really wish they'd mix those around a bit.  I'm sure I'm oversimplifying the factions (maybe we don't have it right who is good and who is evil, and how tolerant they all are), but that's definitely something I'm nervous about.

Yeah, they set up the continents like they planned player factions, evil v. good. But, I believe they are not doing that now.

• 780 posts
    December 20, 2016 2:20 PM PST

Yeah. The vendor prices were hooked to factions, also. It was awesome. So, we can expect that map to change quite a bit as development comes along? Good.

This post was edited by Shucklighter at December 20, 2016 9:46 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 21, 2016 5:13 PM PST

I like the idea of having to earn faction to get the best prices. Helps make faction more meaningful.

• 169 posts
    December 30, 2016 1:56 PM PST

Beefcake said:

I hope there is some city to city travel option, I would hate to have to choose between playing with my wife and my preferred race. If there were player factions, like horde v. Alliance, I would understand and have to choose a race within the player faction. But, I thought they said that was not the case, just NPC factions.

i'm hoping they don't have things like that as it makes the world feel small and less dangerous.  The original EQ had group teleports for Druids and Wizards.  Perhaps you could choose one of those classes or get a port from someonee else.  For me that would be the ideal way to do it.  I know Druids and Wizards still have teleport spells.  I saw it in a Pantheon video.

• 1404 posts
    December 31, 2016 10:06 AM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

Beefcake said:

I hope there is some city to city travel option, I would hate to have to choose between playing with my wife and my preferred race. If there were player factions, like horde v. Alliance, I would understand and have to choose a race within the player faction. But, I thought they said that was not the case, just NPC factions.

i'm hoping they don't have things like that as it makes the world feel small and less dangerous.  The original EQ had group teleports for Druids and Wizards.  Perhaps you could choose one of those classes or get a port from someonee else.  For me that would be the ideal way to do it.  I know Druids and Wizards still have teleport spells.  I saw it in a Pantheon video.

I hope not as well, and for the same reasons. I don't want the world to be that small or trivail.
    I also play with my wife and I'll be letting her choose her race before I tell her what race I will play for the reason she would let my choice effect hers, and I feel it's more important for her to play the race she likes, and not the race I like. And I will then play the race I want. The journey will begin by both of us leveling enough to venture out to either meet in some City in the middle, or one to find our way to the other.  IF she has too rough of a time, I'm sure there will be slot's for Alts, and I can make one to help her out. But I'm not about to let the size of the world effect my choice of race.
    Now Factions.... that MAY be a different story.

• 1618 posts
    December 31, 2016 3:50 PM PST

They have stated a few times, no player factions. Nothing like Horde v. Alliance. All races can play together and guild together.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2220/races-classes

This post was edited by Beefcake at December 31, 2016 3:58 PM PST
    • 1618 posts
    December 31, 2016 3:57 PM PST

Doesn't sound like quick travel between cities, other than Druid/wizard type ports.

It will interesting how close to cities the port spots will be and at what level people need to be to use them.

This post was edited by Beefcake at December 31, 2016 3:59 PM PST