Just testing out if you actually check your journal section!! There are some other posts here of members asking you questions, don't see you have responded. We love your work and would love to hear back from you. Besides you deserve a small break every now and then.
Sorry for my delay in responding, which answers your first question (I need to get back in the habit of checking this section more often!).
I'm so happy to hear that many of you are enjoying the music we've released so far! To the question at hand, composing music for Pantheon is something I've had to set aside for the last several months. Since we are still a relatively small team (though growing), my duties as Creative Director are still very hands on and there are many of them!
I'll give you a short rundown on some of the things I've been doing over the last few months:
- Creating additional texture sets for some of Monty's 3D assets to create the visual diversity necessary to use the same assets in different parts of the game world (for example, taking a basic Ruins kit and creating a snow-covered version of the same Ruins)
- Several detail passes in Avendyr's Pass, Halnir Cave and Thronefast. Zone development and level design requires "bird's eye view" passes and "street view" passes. I've been doing several "street view" passes in these areas, working to lay in the finer details that contribute to the overall gameplay experience.
- Combat audio improvements and progress. Currently, I have created the first pass of impact audio for 1-handed slashing, 2-handed slashing, 1-handed blunt (metal & wood), 2-handed blunt (metal & wood), 1-handed piercing, kicks/punches, and shield bashes (metal & wood). Also, this includes general PC and NPC combat audio like attack, hurt and death vocalizations. I'm consistently doing audio passes on spell/ability SFX as well, trying to improve and expand them as we go along.
- I have done 2 or 3 smaller, ambient "musical" tracks for a few new areas we haven't shown you guys yet ;) Also have created a few looping, environmental audio tracks for things like high, steady winds in certain areas. I'll be working on more of these types of tracks over the coming week.
- I've replaced our old weaponry and shields with more and higher quality versions, giving us a much larger amount and diversity of weaponry currently available to players in the game. With this, I have also created a large amount of material variations for our weaponry, currently including: rusty, copper, brass, iron, steel and Coldark steel variations of each. This list of materials will grow over time, but already these materials all have unique visual looks within the game.
- Updating attack verbage on all of our current weapons (i.e. "you slash" / "soandso pierces", etc.)
- Designing our first boss encounter... which you may or may not be seeing soon ;)
- Lots, and lots, and lots of meetings! Working with the Creative Team to identify needed refinements to our current combat system and collaborating with them on execution plans. Working through the "dance" of the Perception system with Corey and Justin and all the ways it will be integrated into gameplay. Many worldbuilding chats with John and Brendan. Meetings about development tools, Class design, gameplay systems like death/Extreme Climate and Acclimation/Artifacts/Travel/Gameplay Tuning, and many, many more! Some of my favorite meetings are my weekly (usually) 1-on-1's with John, Justin, Corey and Daniel.
- And lastly, I'm currently working on a dungeon which we will be showcasing in the upcoming Twitch stream. It's a doozy!
All of this to say, I am looking forward to a time when I can focus on music and audio more fully, but I am thoroughly enjoying being able to contribute to these many other aspects of Pantheon's development. You can be sure, when more music is ready to be released, you will all know about it post-haste!
Thanks for taking the time to read - can't wait to see all of you in Terminus!
- Joppa -
A wonderful response and we really appreciate you taking the time..! It is crazy to think how much time you are all putting into the game, your explanation really made the picture clear. The upcoming Twitch demonstration has a LOT of us super excited... Can't wait to see some of the hard work revealed, you are the best!!!
Surely this is why we don't often hear from Joppa - he's so damned thoughtful and concice that I can only image it takes him days to produce such an eloquent response! Great to hear from ya again bud ;)
In all seriousness, I've always been a huge fan of Chris's audio work and have no doubt that the sonic immersion he's creating will be impressive.