Forums » The Warrior

Warrior iconic ability speculation

• 47 posts
    October 14, 2016 12:02 PM PDT

What do you all think would make a good warrior iconic ability?

I personally like ideas similar to the EQ1 warrior /shield ability.  This ability would allow the warrior to become a 'living shield' and absorb a portion of damage taken by groupmates.  At lower levels, the warrior might only be able to shield one groupmate, reducing the damage that groupmate takes by 50% but increases that damage to 75% on the warrior.  At higher levels, the warrior might be able to absorb more damage at less of a penalty, or even be able to shield multiple groupmates.  If a high end warrior can shield an ally, but offset that extra damage taken by stacking a 'defensive discipline' or getting damage absorbing 'runes' or buffs from allies.. I believe this is the type of skill and group gameplay which is fun and rewarding. 

It also fits the traditional role of a pure meatshield warrior as the class most capable of tanking multiple enemies at once, and strategist of deciding when its most appropriate to 'sacrifice' some of his personal defense to save a critical ally.

This post was edited by Defector at October 18, 2016 8:57 AM PDT
    • 1917 posts
    November 10, 2016 2:06 PM PST

That is interesting, but I think what makes the Pantheon warrior so unique is their emphasis on mental toughness rather than just physical toughness. As such, I think it would be interesting if the Warrior could enter almost a monk zen-like state of intense focus for a short period of time. During which, the Warrior would benefit from 0% miss chance, increased chance for critical hits, increased resistances from all elements, poison, magic, etc., increased endurance, slightly increased movement speed, immunity to slows & stuns, and significantly decreased incoming physical damage. Tentatively called "Ignore Pain." It would make you almost a godlike tank, but should be reserved for only the most dangerous moments.

• 947 posts
    January 28, 2017 10:05 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

That is interesting, but I think what makes the Pantheon warrior so unique is their emphasis on mental toughness rather than just physical toughness. As such, I think it would be interesting if the Warrior could enter almost a monk zen-like state of intense focus for a short period of time. During which, the Warrior would benefit from 0% miss chance, increased chance for critical hits, increased resistances from all elements, poison, magic, etc., increased endurance, slightly increased movement speed, immunity to slows & stuns, and significantly decreased incoming physical damage. Tentatively called "Ignore Pain." It would make you almost a godlike tank, but should be reserved for only the most dangerous moments.

Sounds kind of OP to me, and I plan on maining a warrior!  A lot of those abilities should still be in the warriors kit ... but slapping all of that onto a single ability seems super OP unless this is like a 10 min cooldown.  I think the "Tower of Stone" ability from EQ2 was pretty nice for guardians.  Basically it was semi-short buff of 3 stoneskins that would absorb any attack that would hit for more than 10% of their max HP.  For each attack absorbed, their shield would take 7% durability damage.  I think the cooldown was around 2 minutes before AA's were ever added to the game.  Timing of the ability was important because ideally you wanted to block the hardest attacks with it rather than weaker auto attacks that would still cause the stoneskin to proc.  It also encouraged warriors to carry multiple shields due to the durability damage.  I remember carrying more than 12 shields at a time.  I would generally use my BiS shield as much as I could, and when I was going to use Tower of Stone, I would switch to one of my other shields until all of the procs went off, then promptly switch back.  There wasn't really any point in carrying crappy shields though because the lack of block% and overall stats on a junk shield would do more harm than good because all 3 procs would go off immediately.

This post was edited by oneADseven at January 28, 2017 10:06 PM PST
    • 8 posts
    March 8, 2017 4:07 PM PST

oneADseven said:

A lot of those abilities should still be in the warriors kit ... but slapping all of that onto a single ability seems super OP unless this is like a 10 min cooldown.  

Agreed, definitely would be better fit as separate abilities/disciplines... each with their own use case and with long cooldowns. Some even to share cooldowns while others probably longer cooldowns than others to really engage the player to make the choice of DEF over OFF abil/disc that share a 10 (or 15, 30, etc) cooldown.

Separately as examples:

Offense

• 100% hit chance for 30 seconds on a 10 min CD
    • 100% crit chance for 15 seconds on a 30 min CD
    • XX% attack speed for 30 seconds on a 15 min CD
    • XX% move speed for 15 seconds on a 10 min CD (can also be for DEF)

Defense

• 100% magic/elemental resist for 15 seconds on a 30 min CD
    • 50% armor rating/AC for 30 seconds on a 15 min CD
    • 50% block chance for 15 seconds on a 10 min CD (or this could be a static ability

etc etc

• 947 posts
    April 8, 2017 3:51 PM PDT

I think a personal save ass would be a decent ability for warriors as well.  An ability, for example, that they could cast on themself that would prevent death for 10 seconds.  If they die in that period, they instantly receive a heal for 25-40% of their max HP depending on spell quality. The cooldown would be the same regardless of whether or not the heal triggered.  The proc could only go off once ... 10 seconds of death immunity is way too strong.

This post was edited by oneADseven at April 8, 2017 3:51 PM PDT
    • 1917 posts
    April 8, 2017 8:42 PM PDT

oneADseven said:

Bazgrim said:

Sounds kind of OP to me, and I plan on maining a warrior!  A lot of those abilities should still be in the warriors kit ... but slapping all of that onto a single ability seems super OP unless this is like a 10 min cooldown.  

It could maybe even be longer than 10 mins tbh. I'm thinking more of like an "oh $#*!" button, where the skill is knowing the best time to use it. Because if you don't use it at the most efficient time, chances are that it will be on cooldown when you need it most.

• 223 posts
    April 17, 2017 8:22 PM PDT

What you are describing to me is not an pain ignoring ability but like a a battle lust/battle knowledge/expansive vision ability.  IF this was implemented that kind of a skill would need like a 30 minute or 60 minute or a once a day limit depending upon the level of the warrior.   I know in EQ1 there were certain disciplines that all fightning classes got.  You got 1 per level from 51 to 60.  One was increased mitigation, one was increased damage, one was auto-ripost for 15 seconds, one was automatically dodge all incoming attacks for 10 seconds, one was a flurry/rampage for set period of time.  Each ability was linked to another ability and you had to be selective on which one you would use because of the down time between uses.  I suspect that these kinds of abilities will be available though tweaked and restylilized for Pantheon.

• 447 posts
    April 18, 2017 9:26 AM PDT

oneADseven said:

I think a personal save ass would be a decent ability for warriors as well.  An ability, for example, that they could cast on themself that would prevent death for 10 seconds.  If they die in that period, they instantly receive a heal for 25-40% of their max HP depending on spell quality. The cooldown would be the same regardless of whether or not the heal triggered.  The proc could only go off once ... 10 seconds of death immunity is way too strong.

I know Clerics usually buffed warrior with a spell like this called Divine Intervention and it proced once you hit 0 hp and procced for basically like 80% hp but as op it might of sounded it was still very easy for your MT to die even with a 6 cleric CH chain casting CH every 3 seconds, i mean he could seriously go down that quick depending on unlucky RNG numbers, bad gear and all other thing of kind of things to go wrong.  But i really liked the EQ1 Warrior, they had all the right Disciplines to get set up for the clerics to get ready to heal him depending on the situation and everything, maybe granting them a little extra overall damage could be a plus they can work on but nothing that can even bring them moderately close to a dps class just something to make it to where they can hold aggro better than they were able to since they had no snap aggro capabilties like the pal/sk did back than.

Defensive Disc= Midigate 30% incoming phsyical Damage

Furious disc= 12 sec of ripsotsing every incoming attack back to the attacker 

Fortitude Disc= 18 sec high evaiding skills of attacks

Mighty Strike= 24 secs (i think) of every swing being a critical hit

Charge Disc= 24 sec of every swing hitting the target

Berate= An initial Burst of hate and a tick of hate for 1 min

These worked well in the warriors arsenal plus they had weapons they could acquire down the down to help them increase there hate either it be with slow/stun/aggro procs with moderate damage/low delay.

This post was edited by Riahuf22 at April 18, 2017 9:33 AM PDT