Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Dying for an MMO with weather sytems

• 15 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:16 AM PDT

I haven't seen an MMO have weather. I'm sure it would be difficult but the immersion that comes from Rain, Snow, Thunderstorms, and other visual weather systems would get me really excited.

This post was edited by card at October 7, 2016 10:16 AM PDT
    • 624 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:20 AM PDT

Wouldn't it be grand to be surrounded by fog so thick (or dense rain, sleet, snow - take your pick) your visibility drops to nearly zero. Over the malestrom you hear odd sounds closing in, unwelcome things, approaching from all sides - but you cannot see them for the blasted weather.  Now would be a great time to have a druid in your group...

This post was edited by Kumu at October 7, 2016 10:22 AM PDT
    • 15 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:31 AM PDT

Kumu said:

Wouldn't it be grand to be surrounded by fog so thick (or dense rain, sleet, snow - take your pick) your visibility drops to nearly zero. Over the malestrom you hear odd sounds closing in, unwelcome things, approaching from all sides - but you cannot see them for the blasted weather.  Now would be a great time to have a druid in your group...

It sounds great in theory... However, how do we deal with cheaters that remove those files by a program and cause no fog to appear?

• 902 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:36 AM PDT

card said:

Kumu said:

It sounds great in theory... However, how do we deal with cheaters that remove those files by a program and cause no fog to appear?

Quite frankly, I would make the game not run if game mechanic files were removed. Anything that was deemed vital to the world mechanics could easily be automatically downloaded at run time, if it couldnt be downloaded or saved then the game simply stops and tells the player to repair the game. Any manipulation of file like this is against the developers "rules" so why allow it? So any file associated with fog, rain, etc. must be present and their checksums match.

This post was edited by chenzeme at October 7, 2016 10:38 AM PDT
    • 624 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:45 AM PDT

One can always mess with files on the client side, and some shall.  The devs can 1) waste time trying to stamp out the basest of human nature,  -or- 2) put basic safeguards in place (as I am sure they will) and leave the rest to us.  Reputation is key - known cheaters should be shunned, I have no desire to share time with those who swindle their way through life (or a game).  If the rest of us are snowblind and Fraudster Fred is happily walking straight through the storm to the prize for the third time today, kick him from the group, spread the word and suggest he join the guild Cozeners.

• 15 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:48 AM PDT

Kumu said:

One can always mess with files on the client side, and some shall.  The devs can 1) waste time trying to stamp out the basest of human nature,  -or- 2) put basic safeguards in place (as I am sure they will) and leave the rest to us.  Reputation is key - known cheaters should be shunned, I have no desire to share time with those who swindle their way through life (or a game).  If the rest of us are snowblind and Fraudster Fred is happily walking straight through the storm to the prize for the third time today, kick him from the group, spread the word and suggest he join the guild Cozeners.

Then he joins an elite guild of cheaters that have world bosses on a timer killed the moment they spawn leaving only normal mobs for the rest of us. Fun stuff...

• 166 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:49 AM PDT

Jeah, I would like to see an MMORPG with day and night cicles, seasons and all different kind of weather, from sunshine to blizzard. Very cool for example would be if the land will become mud and even a swamp, if it only rains long enough.

This should have influence on how far a player could pass this peace of land. If the land is very muddy then it may take much longer to pass this peace of land than normal. And if the land becomes a swamp a player can maybe die in it.

Of course there should be different zones, where the weather is most of the time cold and snowy and there should be zones where it is most of the time sunny and is a desert and so on. I just want a lot of diversity and not only a diversity in the graphics, but a diversity which has at least a small influence on our gameplay.

• 15 posts
    October 7, 2016 10:54 AM PDT

I was focusing less on this:

Landbert said:

Jeah, I would like to see an MMORPG with day and night cicles, seasons and all different kind of weather, from sunshine to blizzard. Very cool for example would be if the land will become mud and even a swamp, if it only rains long enough.

This should have influence on how far a player could pass this peace of land. If the land is very muddy then it may take much longer to pass this peace of land than normal. And if the land becomes a swamp a player can maybe die in it.

And more of this:

Landbert said:

Of course there should be different zones, where the weather is most of the time cold and snowy and there should be zones where it is most of the time sunny and is a desert and so on. I just want a lot of diversity and not only a diversity in the graphics, but a diversity which has at least a small influence on our gameplay.

• 2138 posts
    October 7, 2016 5:06 PM PDT
    Oh I wish I was clever enough to link to the Tenets, but as I understand it pantheon will have both, environmental effects- like when they went into the undead cult people place in the first twitch stream, BUT ALSO weather environment effects, needing to wear a coat in cold areas, drinking more water in desert areas, maybe overheating in desert areas if you are still wearing you winter coat? And maybe things like wizards lightning spell gets a boost when it's thundering out (starts to bang head and chant "thunder!" While thunder road plays in background - heh)
    • 763 posts
    October 8, 2016 1:18 PM PDT

As Manouk states above : From earlier comments by VR reps, both streams and AMA and tents/FAQs, it seems that 'dynamic weather' is something they are actively looking at.

In terms of what is possible (hint, hint ZippyZee)

1. Simple AI to move weather fronts around the zones, affecting each other.

Storms / rain fronts etc moving along affecting/affected by next zone

2. Having 'aware' weather that can affect/be affected by player spells

Druid/Shaman cast weather spells ... worsen or ameliorate weather

Weather causes slight change to mana-cost or effect of spells

Desert + Heatwave = bad for cold spells ... easier to resist etc

Cold zone + blizzard = fire spells more expensive, smaller effects

3. Day / Night already 'in the works (TM)'

4. Specials?

Storm + Sea Ride = possible waterspout ... glug, glug, glug ...

Flat grasslands + thunder = 2% chance struck by lightning (ouch!)

Flat grasslands + low pressure = chance of 'Dorothy effect' :)

• 9115 posts
    October 8, 2016 5:48 PM PDT

Manouk said: Oh I wish I was clever enough to link to the Tenets, but as I understand it pantheon will have both, environmental effects- like when they went into the undead cult people place in the first twitch stream, BUT ALSO weather environment effects, needing to wear a coat in cold areas, drinking more water in desert areas, maybe overheating in desert areas if you are still wearing you winter coat? And maybe things like wizards lightning spell gets a boost when it's thundering out (starts to bang head and chant "thunder!" While thunder road plays in background - heh)

We certainly will and here is the link for you :)

Pantheon Difference:

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/

Atmosphere/Climate System

One of Pantheon’s tenets is ‘Engage the World!’ When we talk about being a PvE MMO, our definition of ‘environment’ means a lot more than just fighting NPCs -- players will be contending with the world itself. Some regions will be very hot or cold. Some areas within a zone might be enchanted with complete darkness, or silence (meaning spoken spells won't work), or poison or miasma. Small tornados could travel through a region, compelling players to work their way around them, not through them, lest they take significant damage. Also, certain spells may work better or worse (or even only work) depending on the climate or atmosphere -- for example, a 'Call Lightning' spell could deal more damage than a typical ‘lightning bolt’ spell but could only be cast if there is a storm in the region.

• 3016 posts
    October 13, 2016 4:41 PM PDT

Weather systems and maybe Seasons?     Harvestors can only harvest certain rare herbs in a particular season (spring, summer, fall, winter)  or when it rains, snows, is sunny, wind blowing..night, day?  :)

• 47 posts
    October 21, 2016 6:36 PM PDT

Again... good stuff :)

I'm hoping to mine ores for smithing... hadn't even thought of the weather in regards to mining ore.... :o

Mud. MUD! BAH!

GOOD STUFF! :)

• 1618 posts
    February 17, 2017 2:28 PM PST
    • 258 posts
    July 31, 2017 10:18 PM PDT

I love the idea of weather in games. The fog is a bit annoying when you're in really dangerous areas, but I love the rain and storms and snow... It's awesome for immersion. Oh, and I want to hear the thunder! Perhaps sometimes delayed, and varying in sound... like an actual storm. Not the same boom over and over again.

I want to mention one more thing... Devs, please don't make the flashes too bright or go nutty with the lightning effect. I don't want headaches, aching eyes, or seizures. (I really do love having lightning in game, but when it's too in your face it breaks the immersion by being so uncomfortable.)

This post was edited by Kaen at August 1, 2017 9:50 AM PDT
    • 1303 posts
    August 1, 2017 9:23 AM PDT

Qendiil said:

Again... good stuff :)

I'm hoping to mine ores for smithing... hadn't even thought of the weather in regards to mining ore.... :o

Mud. MUD! BAH!

GOOD STUFF! :)

Mud runoff exposes heavy metals and helps collect it in streams on bedrock. Even true to a degree with precious stones.  Just saying :) 

As a side-note It'd be cool as hell to be able to pan for gold. 

• 2752 posts
    August 1, 2017 9:33 AM PDT

Weather effects and such are very cool, always a fan of getting buffeted by a desert sandstorm. Seasons on the other hand; I could take or leave them. Not every planet has seasons in the real world so I don't presume that fantasy worlds would align with Earth's. 

• 542 posts
    August 1, 2017 12:06 PM PDT

Yes <3 Very excited about the weather system here.

Maybe you could also say that MMOs have been dying without a weather system,or any environmental impact hehe