Forums » News and Announcements

Two new additions to the team!

• 264 posts
    October 4, 2016 4:02 PM PDT

Welcome !  

• 18 posts
    October 4, 2016 7:04 PM PDT

Welcome to the team! We are all very excited to see new staff additions :)

• 1468 posts
    October 4, 2016 8:00 PM PDT

Welcome all :). Great to hear that the team is expanding it bodes well for the progress of the game. I'm really looking forward to hearing about what you will end up doing when it comes to Pantheon. Keep up the good work VR!

• 31 posts
    October 4, 2016 10:49 PM PDT

Welcome aboard!!

• 763 posts
    October 4, 2016 11:26 PM PDT

Great to see Brad breaking the piggy bank and getting some new talent in!

Less money for the company's annual Hookers and cocaine roaddtrip MLP plushy shopping trip...

... but great to see new enthusiastic people join the VR team!

• 21 posts
    October 5, 2016 12:14 AM PDT

Welcome all, this is a good sign!

• 78 posts
    October 5, 2016 1:58 AM PDT

Welcome Todd and Pierre =]

• 21 posts
    October 5, 2016 3:13 AM PDT

glad to see more people joining the VR :)

• 173 posts
    October 5, 2016 3:35 AM PDT

Welcme Todd and Pierre, great to have you with us...now get to work :P

• 105 posts
    October 5, 2016 5:22 AM PDT

Welcome, welcome!

• 781 posts
    October 5, 2016 6:37 AM PDT

zippyzee said:

Cler1c said:

For Tod “Zippyzee” Curtis : Dear Tod, what do you think of the MicroPsi2 cognitive architecture? Any hints you could give to us on its possible implementation within the Pantheon world? :) 

I think you can look at the MicroPsi2 as a model that I agree with. I tend to look at AI in the classical, 'How does the mind work" way when designing AI systems rather than the statistical/probability-based way. Both have their strong points but for a game, particularly where scripting is involved, we want to be able to set up general behaviors that can be unique, general reactions to various stimuli that can be unique, and final actions that are based on those systems that can wind up unpredictable and fun.

I will provide more details later, but my goal is a "priority-based" system where each AI cycle analyzes the current npc needs, its predispositions, and the new and ongoing stimuli, and selects the action that works out as the highest priority for that npc. This would allow the creation of very interesting scenarios where the players may be able to experimentally manipulate those various factors to "encourage" a behavior to emerge. In this way encounters can play out slightly differently each time, and skilled players may be able to predict, alter, and adapt to the behaviors better than others.

That's just an off-the-cuff teaser. I have plenty of design ideas and I am sure they will change in order to be efficient and work within the existing game design. There are many ways to handle AI design and it is most important to make it flexible from the very beginning rather than shoe-horning ideas in at a later date that don't fit well.

Yummy ! ;)  Sounds like Pantheon AI is going to be very chanllenging *droool* :)  Great job VR with the addition to an already awesome team of gifted spirits !  Welcome home Tod and Pierre :) 

• 166 posts
    October 5, 2016 12:13 PM PDT
    Welcome Tod and Pierre! It's a good news, that you joined the team to support on the two very important fields of AI and Security.
    • 191 posts
    October 5, 2016 2:30 PM PDT

Welcome aboard guys :) It's always good to see more people join the VR team :)

• 205 posts
    October 5, 2016 3:13 PM PDT
    Welcome
    • 42 posts
    October 5, 2016 4:24 PM PDT

Welcome to the both of you

• 46 posts
    October 6, 2016 8:26 AM PDT

zippyzee said:

I will provide more details later, but my goal is a "priority-based" system where each AI cycle analyzes the current npc needs, its predispositions, and the new and ongoing stimuli, and selects the action that works out as the highest priority for that npc. This would allow the creation of very interesting scenarios where the players may be able to experimentally manipulate those various factors to "encourage" a behavior to emerge. In this way encounters can play out slightly differently each time, and skilled players may be able to predict, alter, and adapt to the behaviors better than others.

I cannot begin to say how happy I am to see this coming from a member of the team. 

• 902 posts
    October 6, 2016 10:41 AM PDT

Hiyas!!! Its great to see the team expanding with nice CVs :)

Cant wait to see their products

• 2 posts
    October 6, 2016 1:34 PM PDT

Nice to see the team growing!!

• 624 posts
    October 7, 2016 6:33 AM PDT

Excellent additions - Welcome Pierre, welcome Tod.  Security (guarding the 'Net with steel swords - I like it!) and AI (cycling through best options - 1. swarm, 2. fight, 3. berserk, 4. flee, 5. sing!).  Great to have you both on board, thank you for adding your talents to the team.  Much appreciated.

• 201 posts
    October 7, 2016 8:06 AM PDT

I am glad to see bodies being added, but i must point out that everyone automatically assumes the team is growing.  Every time they announce new members, they have never said that no one else has left, or given a total body tally...for all we know, they contracted by 4 and added 2.  Hopefully the team is only getting larger and larger, but to automatically assume that is the case is not backed up by anything.

• 563 posts
    October 7, 2016 9:21 AM PDT

Welcome to the team Tod “Zippyzee” Curtis and Pierre Cadieux! Great to have more members on the VR team :D This dream is getting closer and closer to a reality :D

• 644 posts
    October 7, 2016 11:48 AM PDT

Kilsin said:...

Pierre Cadieux is a...also a member of an international full contact steel sword fighting group.

Real life sword fighting kind of totally outshines our virtual sword fighting :)

Welcome both and gratz VR for growing again!

• 3016 posts
    October 7, 2016 12:18 PM PDT

Great news! Hail and Welcome to the new team members! :)

• 453 posts
    October 9, 2016 7:24 AM PDT

Welcome guys !!!!

• 32 posts
    October 9, 2016 10:39 AM PDT

zippyzee said:

That's just an off-the-cuff teaser. I have plenty of design ideas and I am sure they will change in order to be efficient and work within the existing game design. There are many ways to handle AI design and it is most important to make it flexible from the very beginning rather than shoe-horning ideas in at a later date that don't fit well.

Wonderfully said! Thank you very much for the brief explanation of your approach it is much appreciated! As a fellow researcher of artificial systems I can already promise to be one of those players that will give their best in exploring various NPC behavior...and of course use it for the glory of the Dark Myr race and all Dire Lords which are destined to rule the the world of Terminus! No living soul shall escape our grasp! 

:''D

Thanks once again, Zippyzee! ;)

Sincerely,

C.