Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Code Language

• 7 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:43 PM PDT

Sorry if this has been answered already. I was just curious to know what code language Pantheon will be using?

• 10 posts
    September 26, 2016 1:59 PM PDT

AFAIK, they are using Unity for the game. Any sane programmer would be using C# and not Unityscript. I'm not biased. At all. ;)

• 363 posts
    September 26, 2016 2:55 PM PDT

I have it through a pretty good source that they are using the Thieve's Cant language, but don't quote me on that. :P

• 116 posts
    September 27, 2016 5:39 AM PDT

Yes it's the Unity engine. Here ya go, all the way at the end of the FAQs:https://www.pantheonmmo.com/game/faqs/#q43

• 160 posts
    November 30, 2017 11:01 PM PST

bump

Any confirmaiton on C#? I didnt see anything in the wiki to confirm this. It references the Unity engine but not the specific language. For us coding newbies does Unity immediately mean C#?

I also didnt see any hits on a forum search.

This post was edited by Nuggie at November 30, 2017 11:01 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    December 1, 2017 1:09 AM PST

Nuggie said:

bump

Any confirmaiton on C#? I didnt see anything in the wiki to confirm this. It references the Unity engine but not the specific language. For us coding newbies does Unity immediately mean C#?

I also didnt see any hits on a forum search.

From the FAQ:

18.0 Why did you choose to use the Unity engine for Pantheon?

There were a lot of reasons we chose Unity, and they all had to do with the positives of the engine, not necessarily the negatives of others. Much of the decision came down to the fact that it is an engine that enabled us to get to work quickly without requiring an expensive and large team. Unity has also allowed us to rapidly develop the game itself and will also enable us to deploy to multiple platforms with minimal effort. Unity is truly a ‘game engine’ and not just a ‘graphics engine’. It also supports the use of higher level languages like C# and the easy inclusion of a variety of plug-ins. These features and more allow the Pantheon development team to focus on making a game first and not an engine. We are a lean, mean team and we want to spend the majority of our time making the game itself, not tweaking and modifying the core of a graphics engine or having to also build a broad suite of tools or add-ons.