Forums » News and Announcements

September's Newsletter Is Out!

• 9115 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:31 AM PDT

Ever wonder what it takes to build a world? Wonder no more. We talk to World Builder John Diasparra in September's Newsletter. 

http://bit.ly/2cJ9FHZ

• 1095 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:41 AM PDT

Was a good read! Thanks and good work.

• 1281 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:43 AM PDT

Regarding continuity between zones, I know they try to re-use art assets whenever possible to reduce memory utilization and development time.

Does this mean that when a texture is replaced it will affect all zones rather than on a zone by zone basis?

I like that when graphics are updated that they impact the entire game rather than just trying to revamp a zone one at a time. If grass is improved --improve all grass. If the road textures are improved --improve all road textures.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at September 14, 2016 8:44 AM PDT
    • 173 posts
    September 14, 2016 8:57 AM PDT

Great read.  Thanks for sharing!!@

• 70 posts
    September 14, 2016 9:31 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

Regarding continuity between zones, I know they try to re-use art assets whenever possible to reduce memory utilization and development time.

Does this mean that when a texture is replaced it will affect all zones rather than on a zone by zone basis?

I like that when graphics are updated that they impact the entire game rather than just trying to revamp a zone one at a time. If grass is improved --improve all grass. If the road textures are improved --improve all road textures.

Good question, I will check with the team. 

• 334 posts
    September 14, 2016 10:13 AM PDT

Awesome read, thanks for sharing some of your perspective, John!

• 70 posts
    September 14, 2016 10:24 AM PDT

bigdogchris said:

From John - 

Basic Source textures are used in an engine in various ways. We plug them into shaders (the part of the engine that gives an object its surface properties), plug them into terrains to get spread around in various ways (making dirt and grasses mix on the terrain, or any number of different texture types you would see.) Now there are some "textures" that are specifically authored to wrap around an object. If you look at the most recent picture I posted on my art dump thread with the statue, those textures wrapping that are specific to that object, and thus would need to be 1 to 1 recreated for that objects specific UV set(uv set is how the object unwraps into 2d space, imagine taking a 3d object and slicing it so that it laid out perfectly flat!). We often layer textures like that with tiling base textures for extra detail.

Short answer is- base tiling materials can be changed at their source and propogate through any section of the engine using them
    Authoring new textures for specific object will take a one to one recreation.

• 1281 posts
    September 14, 2016 10:35 AM PDT

MedawkyVR said:

From John - 

Basic Source textures are used in an engine in various ways. We plug them into shaders (the part of the engine that gives an object its surface properties), plug them into terrains to get spread around in various ways (making dirt and grasses mix on the terrain, or any number of different texture types you would see.) Now there are some "textures" that are specifically authored to wrap around an object. If you look at the most recent picture I posted on my art dump thread with the statue, those textures wrapping that are specific to that object, and thus would need to be 1 to 1 recreated for that objects specific UV set(uv set is how the object unwraps into 2d space, imagine taking a 3d object and slicing it so that it laid out perfectly flat!). We often layer textures like that with tiling base textures for extra detail.

Short answer is- base tiling materials can be changed at their source and propogate through any section of the engine using them
    Authoring new textures for specific object will take a one to one recreation.

Interesting read, thanks for sharing. Seems some work can be saved if they ever go back to re-do art.

• 1778 posts
    September 14, 2016 12:46 PM PDT

Great stuff guys.

@John

Thanks for the info brother. Never read about tools used before so it was interesting learning about that.

@Rachael

So now we know you have a death wish: wants to be a healer and likes fiery sword attacks!  I kid! :b

• 294 posts
    September 14, 2016 3:30 PM PDT

Great read. Truly enjoyed the list of tools used. My daughter is looking to pursue design as a career and I called her over to get a look at all the software that she should be learning or at least considering. Thanks for the awesome newsletter. Thumbs up here.

• 563 posts
    September 14, 2016 4:02 PM PDT

Great read about all the work and the process behind the scenes of world building from John / Montreseur :D You do amazing work!

@Amsai

I think its a worthy death, might even be worthy of an achievment :P "Has suffered the wrath of Aradune" hehe

• 8 posts
    September 14, 2016 6:09 PM PDT

I like these little newsletters. More info about the game would obviously be great, however, I suspect much of that will not be shared until you get closer to testing for a multitude of reasons. Of course anything is appreciated if only to let us know that you all have not overdosed on caffeine and pizza! I just subbed yesterday when i learned about the game. Since EQ1 is still my favorite online game that  I ever played cant wait to see where this goes. I just hope enchanters are as awesome as they were in the original :)

• 38 posts
    September 14, 2016 6:36 PM PDT

Thanks guys, I enojyed *thumbs up*.

• 624 posts
    September 15, 2016 2:40 AM PDT

Whistle wetted.  If I were a cat I would be bouncing all about on a catnip bender.  Greatly appreciate all the effort to make a truly outstanding game, and the time spent sharing the process with us. Fascinating.

[*shares Selos with Rachel while tossing some popping corn at the fiery avenger*] Hey, we need to keep entertained while we wait right?  Just trying to even things up.

• 23 posts
    September 15, 2016 9:48 AM PDT

Very cool read! Thanks for sharing to both John and Rachael!

Rachael said:

"Has suffered the wrath of Aradune"

I think this would be an awesome achievement. Each Dev/GM could have their own achievement. As you play through the game, a dev might award it to you. Like Aradune might strike you down with his fiery sword or Kilsin might train you. Or maybe you could get an achievement by surviving the dev's mischief. "Has suffered the wrath of Aradune" might not necessarily be a reward for being struck down by him but by escaping him instead.

• 74 posts
    September 15, 2016 12:08 PM PDT

Will we see in the October newsletter something specific to progress relating to classes, zones, lore, upcoming streams, etc? August and September largely didn't cover, but had been done in the past as reference.

Otherwise always a John/Monty fan.

• 999 posts
    September 15, 2016 6:58 PM PDT

Nice interview John/Monty and Rachael.  Looking forward to the new forums as well - I'm hoping their annoucement is a bit of foreshadowing :).

• 201 posts
    September 18, 2016 6:26 AM PDT

Arkoll said:

Rachael said:

I think this would be an awesome achievement. Each Dev/GM could have their own achievement. As you play through the game, a dev might award it to you. Like Aradune might strike you down with his fiery sword or Kilsin might train you. Or maybe you could get an achievement by surviving the dev's mischief. "Has suffered the wrath of Aradune" might not necessarily be a reward for being struck down by him but by escaping him instead.

I love how kilsin is being used as a reference to something that has happened like in a movie.. Kilsin being referenced to the train in every thread ;.; Its amazing!

• 9115 posts
    September 18, 2016 4:54 PM PDT

LeonSanborn said:

Arkoll said:

Rachael said:

I love how kilsin is being used as a reference to something that has happened like in a movie.. Kilsin being referenced to the train in every thread ;.; Its amazing!

The funny thing is that I have never trained anyone in my gaming life, nor do I condone it as it can ruin other people's gaming experience but the one time I have a bit of fun it happened to be in front of a couple of thousand people in a live stream with my team! That will teach me haha :D

• 279 posts
    September 18, 2016 7:48 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

LeonSanborn said:

Arkoll said:

Rachael said:

The funny thing is that I have never trained anyone in my gaming life, nor do I condone it as it can ruin other people's gaming experience but the one time I have a bit of fun it happened to be in front of a couple of thousand people in a live stream with my team! That will teach me haha :D

Do you ever get annoyed with people comparing u with training or are you ok with it now?

• 432 posts
    September 19, 2016 7:48 AM PDT

For some reason I am not receiving the Newsletter in my mail even if I am subscribed . Any idea what may have gone wrong ?

• 294 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:43 AM PDT

Deadshade said:

For some reason I am not receiving the Newsletter in my mail even if I am subscribed . Any idea what may have gone wrong ?

Heya Deadshade,

The link to the newsletter is right here at the top post in this forum. Hope that helps.

• 999 posts
    September 19, 2016 11:50 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

LeonSanborn said:

Kilsin's negative server reputation is already starting and Monty isn't far behind!  Kilsin the Trainer and Monty the Ninja Looter... 

• 110 posts
    September 19, 2016 12:30 PM PDT

LeonSanborn said:

I won't be impressed until the words "train" and "Kilsin" become interchangable: "Kilsin to EC zone!" or "Dude, that guy totally got Kilsined when he zoned in!" ;)

• 432 posts
    September 19, 2016 1:43 PM PDT

Klumpedge said:

Deadshade said:

Heya Deadshade,

The link to the newsletter is right here at the top post in this forum. Hope that helps.

Thanks, I have seen the link . But my point is that I thought that we get the Newsletters (or a link to them) directly in our mail when we have subscribed to it .

And I got no mail what seems a priori strange .