Forums » The Paladin

What would YOU like to see from the Crusader class?

• 6 posts
    September 14, 2016 5:23 AM PDT

For me the key is the shield.  Does it have to be physical?  

If it was incorporeal it could be tied to the Crusaders god whose power they can manifest into different things before during and after battle.

EG Before battle: Increase or enhance the power  / time of your team mates buffs on the rest of the party 

During battle:

DPS - Soak a foe's offensive prowess and launch it back at them in the form of a spell or convert the "Sheild" into an offensive weapon.

Defense - It's a shield of course... it could be used traditionally after all, stuns etc...

The possibilities are endless...

Bast.

• 324 posts
    September 14, 2016 7:36 AM PDT

Considering that paladins are almost always associated with being part cleric/priest/whatever and the cleric's special ability is a shield I see no reason why a spell that affects our shields wouldn't make sense. It would affect our shield and not any other way of course. I'm a fan of a dmg mitigation buff on the shield. % is mitigated up to a certain amount of damage or time.

Warriors being a middle ground tank, but decent dps is how I see them as well. Let them equip a shield of course, but it would only add stats/AC and maybe give a weak interrupt/dmg skill attached to it. Maybe a furious bash thing too since it wouldn't be for dps. Regardless, no special abilities with a shield.

Specifics for DL being dps heavy I like and maybe the lowest hp thing as well, as long as they have their tanking specialty. Bonus dps shouldn't be such a difference that players don't want to use them in raids for tanking except for emergancies. If they are designed that way then they're kinda bad. Thankfully the Pants people know what they're doing and have lots of experience :)

• 596 posts
    September 30, 2016 9:27 PM PDT

I Believe the Crusaders, should be kinda different from the way we see paladins, they aren't the people who seek out and abolish the undead but evil is general, which just include the undead.  They are Holy Knights who would Seek out passing Farmers who are in trouble by bandits and they would go and deal with their enemy and either scare them away or deal with them if things got ugly.  They are similair to Paladins dont get my wrong but i see Paladins being a particular type of crusader, maybe it can be a sub class of one and you can have him be good against the undead if you built him that way.  But i think they're should be other things he can give you as well so if your not fighting undead you still can be of some use instead of just taking all the hits and doing very little damage like maybe he has some buffs that only crusaders can casts that stacks with all other buffs, or maybe even some debuffs that also stack with all other debuffs.  Just a thought.

• 466 posts
    October 6, 2016 9:15 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

I Believe the Crusaders, should be kinda different from the way we see paladins, they aren't the people who seek out and abolish the undead but evil is general, which just include the undead.  They are Holy Knights who would Seek out passing Farmers who are in trouble by bandits and they would go and deal with their enemy and either scare them away or deal with them if things got ugly.  They are similair to Paladins dont get my wrong but i see Paladins being a particular type of crusader, maybe it can be a sub class of one and you can have him be good against the undead if you built him that way.  But i think they're should be other things he can give you as well so if your not fighting undead you still can be of some use instead of just taking all the hits and doing very little damage like maybe he has some buffs that only crusaders can casts that stacks with all other buffs, or maybe even some debuffs that also stack with all other debuffs.  Just a thought.

Exactly I see Crusaders as being more then a Paladin we dont concern ourselves with the undead we concern ourselves with Evil plain and simple.  I see a Crusader stopping to help a farmer against Orcs because the orcs are evil aggressors.  But I also see that Same crusader helping to defend an innocent village of orcs being attacked for no reason.  They are the defenders of the innocent and the protectors of Goodly people

• 324 posts
    October 24, 2016 11:19 AM PDT

Kalgore said:

protectors of Goodly people

That description chunk/wording made me happy for some reason.

• 466 posts
    October 26, 2016 1:39 PM PDT

tanwedar said:

Kalgore said:

protectors of Goodly people

That description chunk/wording made me happy for some reason.

HAHA :D  

• 54 posts
    January 27, 2017 4:45 AM PST

I think the crusader has to repent. For all he hates evil and evildoers, killing and violence he does not enjoy, for he on the core, is a benelovent soul who would prefer to save everyone. Means if you dish out a lot of damage through spells and attacks, you would get a "humility" debuff  sooner or later that would force you to repent sooner or later. You would take a penitential stance where you can't attack, but heal and buff your pals instead. And of course, clean your soul and conscience :-)

• 1 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:12 AM PDT

Crusaders... dare I say "Shadow Knight"?  I absolutely love the roles these Dark Knights played in EQ/EQ2.  This is my first post, so I am not sure if it's Taboo to mention those two games, but let's face it, I would venture to say that the majority of us came from them.  The SK, to me, offered the "Yang" to the Paladin's "Yin".  Using 2H weapons in conjunction with evil life taps, brought an interesting alternative to tanking with a pure-tank class.  Please consider adding the SK to the repertoire of classes. 

• 2549 posts
    May 3, 2017 9:23 AM PDT

Mozy said:

Crusaders... dare I say "Shadow Knight"?  I absolutely love the roles these Dark Knights played in EQ/EQ2.  This is my first post, so I am not sure if it's Taboo to mention those two games, but let's face it, I would venture to say that the majority of us came from them.  The SK, to me, offered the "Yang" to the Paladin's "Yin".  Using 2H weapons in conjunction with evil life taps, brought an interesting alternative to tanking with a pure-tank class.  Please consider adding the SK to the repertoire of classes. 

Crusader is just the old term for Paladin before the name was changed. Shadow Knights are much more like the Dire Lords in Pantheon. Check them out... I think you'd like them.

And it's definitely not taboo to talk about other games for the sake of comparison and discussion. After all, this game is heavily influenced by those games anyway, as some devs on VR have worked on those games in the past. You're right that the vast majority of the Pantheon community originated in early MMOs such as EQ and VG.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at May 3, 2017 9:23 AM PDT
    • 2 posts
    June 5, 2017 3:14 AM PDT

I do not want to see paladin defined as it has been in old game so far, that is, only as a tank or a secondary healer. Forget that. Being limited to only those roles is boring and not what the paladin image is about. In lore and stories in general no "evil bastard" was afraid of a paladin because "he can survive a lot of beating" or "he can heal so well!", they were afraid because paladin would bring down some holy can of whoop.. derrier on them! Thus there should be several options: want to be a tank? Use those skills or that skilltree. Secondary healer - there, skills of that. Or finally, want to be an armored and claymore wielding deliverer of holy whooping - there you go, skills for that too.

Forget these old times limitations to classes where class is from the start doomed to a specific role. That makes things boring. If warrior wants to deal damage as well, then warrior should be able to do so. If paladin wants it - he can do it. Difference should come in additional abilities which can enhance these roles of the class or debiliate the target to allow enhanced results, like paladin being able to cast some debuff on evil and undead enemies which will increase the damage by quite a bit. Warrior being able to break through defenses and armor to deliver heavy blows. Rogue being able to hit through the cracks and slots in armor to deliver precice and deadly blows, open veins to cause additional bleeding damage or poison foes. Many options in that area. But to limit the classes to specific roles like "it was done in the old days" is just unimaginitive and bland, it doesn't bring anything new to the table, instead keeps dragging on the old boring stuff. And like I said, those who want to be stuck with those old roles would still have that option, through "tank" or "healer" skill tree.

• 317 posts
    June 5, 2017 6:18 PM PDT

Sign me up for Claymore wielding perpetrator of violence, the divine avatar of wrath and fury. The spear point of a vengeful deity.

The only time imma lay my hands on you, is to snap your neck type of paladining.

Ain't got time for prayers I'll be over here cracking nonbelievers skulls.

I like you Crestwalker, good first post.

• 104 posts
    July 11, 2017 4:49 PM PDT

I'd like to see Paladins not be the laughing stock of melee/tank classes.  If Dire Lords are our opposite and they end up OP'd like EQ2 did with Shadowknights, it was tough to love my beloved Paladin.

I'm a Paladin in every game I play.  Online or single player so I always want Paladins to be the best.  However, Paladins are typically supposed to be the "beneficial" tank opposed to the DPS of a Dire Lord, but the Dire Lord is so OP'd compared to the benefits that a Paladin offers that the Paladin becomes useless.  I don't want to see my favored archtype become a running joke.