Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

How similar to Everquest is this?

• 3 posts
    September 5, 2016 4:47 PM PDT

I have briefly watched part of some of the footage on Youtube. I'm at work and will watch more as time permits, but one thing I noticed was during this particular video when the player was grouped with other people they came across a couple of Pass authority Guards. They hailed them, something I've only seen in EQ and it looked like the player considered them and was shown the message "The Pass AUthority Guard regards you indifferently. Looks like a challenging fight. 

To me, this is extremely similar to the text from Everquest when considering some mobs. I don't have a problem with this at all. Far from it, as I loved Everquest.

So just how similar is Pantheon to EQ? I signed up and subscribed just to be able to ask this question.

• 9115 posts
    September 5, 2016 5:10 PM PDT

Pantheon is a unique blend of classically spirited MMO gaming while exploring new features and mechanics that we believe will make it a unique MMO experience. If you see similarities with other games, then that's great but Pantheon is not a copy, clone or sequel of any other game, it is its own standalone IP that is moving the genre forward with a lot of our own new or evolved ideas :)

We have a wide range of experience on the team that has lead to some of our team members working on many different games from MMORPGs to strategy games so you can bet we will be using that experience to make Pantheon a fun and challenging game for everyone to enjoy, including ourselves!

• 3 posts
    September 5, 2016 5:26 PM PDT

This is an excellent response. I have always strongly felt that learning from the successes of over games is a great way to go. However knowing that you definitely have your own vision with new features and mechanics that we haven't seen before is very exciting.

I think I'll be neglecting my work today and going over these forums for more information, lol.

Cheers!

• 294 posts
    September 5, 2016 5:37 PM PDT

I am so glad to see Kilsin say that some of the team members hail from strategy genre and not just mmorpg. I look forward to a good mmorpg with a solid basis of strategy game play to truly bring the game to life. Makes a player think, not just go through the motions.

How can we help with that Kilsin? Help us to understand exactly what we need to do to make this game rock.

• 86 posts
    September 6, 2016 3:02 AM PDT

I hope it ends up very similar to EQ after all because that is how I ended up here.

This post was edited by Greattaste at September 6, 2016 3:05 AM PDT
    • 36 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:08 PM PST

I smell parts of Vanguard in this too for sure and hope you take the crafting system or evolve it from Vanguard personally.

This post was edited by Asbo at January 15, 2017 1:09 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 15, 2017 1:43 PM PST

I think Pantheon will have the same "feel" as EQ..as in challenge, community, world exploration and other things.   But Pantheon will definitely be its own unique entity..as we saw from the recent MMorpg.com vote session.  It seems there are NO other Devs working on a similar old school game that promotes grouping and community...true adventure, danger, challenge.  :)

• 159 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:22 AM PST

CanadinaXegony said:

It seems there are NO other Devs working on a similar old school game that promotes grouping and community...true adventure, danger, challenge.  :)

I know of 2 others that are looking to capture the classic feel.  Gorgon (if you like being cursed into a bobblehead or tripping a trap and becoming a player character cow....It's far too rediculous for my tastes) and Saga of Lucima (also using unity assets but they seem to have their heads buried in the sand regarding any and all criticism and can be very reactionary to any comments) (my views only on the other projects, individual tastes may vary of course).

• 556 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:11 AM PST

You will find a whole lot of similarities to EQ here but in the end Pantheon will be it's own game. While the feel of the old school gaming will be kept in tack there will be a lot of modern updates. But for those that enjoyed EQ, VG, FFXI, and similar titles, they will feel at home in Pantheon. We will get our old school gaming back with a whole new story, new quests/quest system, abilities, features, etc. The only downfall is that we have to wait another 1-2 years :( 

• 78 posts
    January 16, 2017 8:46 AM PST

What made me pledge is their first stream. After making sure the combat is closest to EQ's more than any other game that came out of EQ (resource management, OOM, crowd control, slowing, snaring, slow paces but tactica/strategic, fizzling, skills level up with use, ...etc) all that just sold the game for me. I think if what worked wasn't broken, why fix it? It's alright to expand on something but making something completely new but never tested and ended up not being fun (Titan/EQ next) is not a good idea. Most of us here because Pantheon is going to bring back that EQ experience.

• 1281 posts
    January 16, 2017 9:32 AM PST

The simalarities to EverQuest (there are many) may be due more towards the vast amount of experience the devs have with EQ moresoe than intentional. EQ did a lot of things right (relative to us) that don't need to be changed and that is reflected in this game.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 16, 2017 9:33 AM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 11:44 AM PST

Xilshale said:

CanadinaXegony said:

It seems there are NO other Devs working on a similar old school game that promotes grouping and community...true adventure, danger, challenge.  :)

I know of 2 others that are looking to capture the classic feel.  Gorgon (if you like being cursed into a bobblehead or tripping a trap and becoming a player character cow....It's far too rediculous for my tastes) and Saga of Lucima (also using unity assets but they seem to have their heads buried in the sand regarding any and all criticism and can be very reactionary to any comments) (my views only on the other projects, individual tastes may vary of course).

Sounds more like an Rpg..like Oblivion for example than an old school MMO.  :)

• 3016 posts
    January 16, 2017 11:50 AM PST

Asbo said:

I smell parts of Vanguard in this too for sure and hope you take the crafting system or evolve it from Vanguard personally.

The other thing I wanted to mention...say you're looking at a particular artist's work...then you look at another piece of his or her art,  there's a similar "feel" or theme going through both or all of that particular artist's work.     The same goes for those that have worked on EQ, SWG and Vanguard.    There will be a similar feel or recognizable theme.     Which in my case, gives me even more reason to test and play yet another of Mr. McQuaid's games.  :)  Yes Pantheon will be up with the times...but you can still get that "feel" that sense of familiarity,  I am hoping for some "Easter eggs" tossed in from time to time around the Pantheon world that hark back to earlier times, and give a sense of possible continuity.      For instance in Qeynos...that underground wall that portrays " Aradune is stinky"    Doesn't have to be "that" example but something that makes you go...Oh  I remember that.  :)

• 264 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:32 PM PST

That familiarity is just a style that is present in a Brad McQuaid Game. Just like CanadinaXegony said for example, you can figure out who plays a song because the artist has a personal style.

It looks like the McQuaid is strong in this one Luke.

None of us has had the opportunity to play so I hope the character control has the good feel of EQ. I always felt a connection to my character in EQ,  it did not give me the feel of the computer interfering between my keyboard / Mouse and my Character. I like that about Brad's games. That and many times you could find an alternate way of using your abilities to get the job done if needed.

• 9115 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:48 PM PST

bigdogchris said:

The simalarities to EverQuest (there are many) may be due more towards the vast amount of experience the devs have with EQ moresoe than intentional. EQ did a lot of things right (relative to us) that don't need to be changed and that is reflected in this game.

This is a general post to help everyone understand this a little better but I am using your post to help get it started :)

There are devs on the team who played or had a hand in creating EQ/VG and other games too so while your comment is true, I think it has more to do with the communities personal experience. Those who played EQ will be able to relate good and bad memories from EQ to Pantheon and express concerns/fears for Pantheon that they experienced in EQ, as will someone who played VG or FFXIV etc. and since there is a larger portion of EQ fans here in the community, it seems like there is a heavier lean to EQ references, memories and comparisons, so I can see why there feels like more EQ similarities but this is actually not the case at all and Pantheon has quite a few new and exciting systems, mechanics and features that make it truly stand out as its own unique MMORPG.

Like how VG evolved from EQ and tried new things to move forward and expand in the genre so will Pantheon with our Perception System, Climate, Dynamic Encounters, Progeny and many more!

So while people will be able to link personal experiences from other games to Pantheon I wouldn't get too worried or caught up on which game is more compared to because the numbers are loaded and not entirely accurate.

Pantheon is not a clone, copy or sequel to any game, it is being created with originality in mind and may tap into some systems, mechanics and features that other games also thought were a good fit for them. :)

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 16, 2017 10:01 PM PST
    • 151 posts
    January 16, 2017 4:56 PM PST

Although there are similarities and differences of Pantheon and games like EQ and Vanguard I would like to say that trying to compare them is not really fair imo, this is not EQ3 nor Vanguard2 but a game is the same genre following the core concepts of that age.

For people more into TTRPGS it is like how Dungeon World is not Old-School D&D but is reminicent of it, taking the core fundamentals of what makes Old-School D&D but still making it into its own game with its own identity. And that is what I see Pantheon being too, not a continuation but a "renaissance" of the old-stlye MMO formula.

For sometimes I feel like people are forgetting that this is its own game and that things can be done differently in a way never done before but still stay true to the concepts and principles of older games. I hope this can serve as a reminder of that, cheers folks.

This post was edited by Youmu at January 16, 2017 4:57 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    January 16, 2017 7:57 PM PST

EQ and Vanguard offer a lot, but neither was perfect. More importantly, a semi-clone of EQ will have very limited appeal today especially since EQ is still up and running.

We need and hopefully will get some of the core philosophy seasoned with good things from other games (or original from the team) and removal of some less good things.

What we emphatically do not need are things that no one really wanted but were done because that is what the state of the art was back then. A lot of us may be nostalgic, but if things were done because we just didn't have the code or computing power to do it better - well today let's do it better!

• 27 posts
    January 17, 2017 6:00 AM PST

As long as it remains free from the claw of Smed, than this will be the game for me.

• 2138 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:30 AM PST

And hopefully different in that there are no unfinished quests or random named NPC's that seem like they should be affiliated with a quest or something but are not and are just "color".  

• 801 posts
    January 18, 2017 2:41 PM PST

Lovecraft said:

As long as it remains free from the claw of Smed, than this will be the game for me.

It doesnt matter if it was smed or any one else, the CEO's have to make deadlines, and funding all the time. Things get screwed up in the changes all the time, and it usually effects customers in the end.

Smed has had some advantages and probally more disadvantages over the years. Staying out of EQ was the best thing he could of ever done in his career.

This is my opinion.

Id be more worried about the ex devs coming here and screwing up the whole system we enjoy. We all have been down this road many times over, but at the end of the day the devs where to really blame for some of the changes.

• 1281 posts
    January 19, 2017 7:00 AM PST

Crazzie said:

Lovecraft said:

It doesnt matter if it was smed or any one else, the CEO's have to make deadlines, and funding all the time. Things get screwed up in the changes all the time, and it usually effects customers in the end.

Smed has had some advantages and probally more disadvantages over the years. Staying out of EQ was the best thing he could of ever done in his career.

This is my opinion.

Id be more worried about the ex devs coming here and screwing up the whole system we enjoy. We all have been down this road many times over, but at the end of the day the devs where to really blame for some of the changes.

Smed is out of work as of December, and he and Brad had conversed about Pantheon in the past. It is within the realm of possibility for some collaboration. Smed was in charge of a larger part of SOE than Brad was, so he has weight in the industry and could lead to more funding.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at January 19, 2017 7:02 AM PST