Forums » Pantheon Classes

Hybrid Classes - Extra Dimension of Class Dependency

• 187 posts
    August 31, 2016 5:18 PM PDT

Usually when forming a group, if a role-specific class niche isn't filled (e.g. with a Cleric, Warrior, Rogue, Enchanter) a group begins to widens their gaze and begins to look for hybrids to "fill the missing gaps". While this gap filling is an important and fun aspect of being a hybrid, what if we added an extra layer of dependency unique only to Hybrid classes?

Here's the punchline: What if hybrids had the unique ability to generate specific colors of mana tied to their iconic abilities?

This idea about how to incorporate an this extra dimension of dependency came about naturally when I was hypothesizing a potential Ranger iconic ability.  In my other post, I posited that the iconic ability of the Ranger could be Campfire (props to @Lakland for seeding the idea) - where Rangers would build campfires that generate a beneficial atmosphere for the group all the while creating a red mana source. What if the Iconic abilities of all the hybrids had similar effects? I'll recycle some content from my other post for completeness.

Ranger - Iconic Ability: Campfire
    The campfire would serve as a generator point for a unique beneficial "atmosphere" tapping into the same atmosphere mechanic used by the magical shards at the end of the first twitch stream. The campfire would create an atmosphere that would radially generate the following properties:
    1) Fire Forged - Bonus to Endure Cold and negates cold based debuffs generated by detrimental atmospheres or environments.
    2) Soothing Warmth - Minor health regen. Ah, FeelsGoodMan.
    3) Coziness - Meditation bonus. Who doesn't like to snuggle up next to a fire and read?
    4) Illumination - Self explanatory.
    5) Red Mana Source - Red mana is generated. Equip those red mana relics you casters - this Ranger has got your back.

Crusader - Iconic Ability: Courageous Presence
    Generates an atmosphere with the following properties:
    1) Heavenly Conviction  - Negates black mana based detrimental atmospheres.
    2) Rallying Confidence - Allies within the presence of the crusader gain AC.
    3) Infectious Bravery - Allies gain a bonus to STA.
    4) Radiant Leader - The crusader emits a minor glows as allies look to him for guidance. 
    5) White Mana Source - White mana is generated.

Dire Lord - Iconic Ability: Grim Aura
    Generates an atmosphere with the following properties:
    1) Foreboding Presence - Enemy within the presence of the crusader lose AC.
    2) Trembling Fear - Enemies have an increased chance to miss. 
    3) Malicious Intent - Negates white mana based detrimental atmospheres.
    4) Darkness Calls - The area around the Dire Lord consumes light.
    5) Black Mana source - Black mana is generated.

You get the point. The mana generating aspect of the hybrid classes could potential create a novel class/hybrid spell dependencies. If you are adventuring in an ice fortress and need protection from the cold and red mana to add effectiveness to fire spells and/or enable multicolored spells, save a Rogue and pickup a Ranger! If you are trouncing around the evil lair of a demon and need white mana, pass on the warrior, snag up a Crusader!

What do you guys think?

This post was edited by Syntro at August 31, 2016 5:33 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    August 31, 2016 5:35 PM PDT

I think its a very fun and interesting idea but it could possibly be stealing Druids thunder. From a little blurb in one of the newsletters from Brad, it was said that Druids would have the ability to change or enhance the atmospheres around their parties. Now this might have only been for mob vs player vs environmental weaknesses and strengths (calling a thunder storm to enahnce wiz lightning while simultaneously taking advantage of a water based enemy). Which while cool as hell, might include colored mana generation from that atmosphere? Too early to tell and Brad was just cryptic enough to wet our appetites.

• 187 posts
    August 31, 2016 5:38 PM PDT

Ah!, I how did I miss that part! That's a really exciting new aspect of Druids if its works out! I'll keep my eyes out for the atmosphere aspects of Druids. Thanks for chiming in. :) Still would be interesting to hear others opions on hybrids or other classes ability to generate colors of mana.

This post was edited by Syntro at August 31, 2016 5:39 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    August 31, 2016 6:30 PM PDT

This is quoted from the Newsletter that went with the Cleric reveal. Brad touched on a few topics but here is what I was talking about:

With our emphasis on truly engaging the world, making player vs. environment means more than only fighting NPCs. Most classes will also have abilities and spells that allow them to change the environment in a meaningful way. A great example would be the Druid. He will be able to influence the weather and by doing so truly affect that region of the world. Certain spells and abilities will work better or even only be possible during, say, a lightning storm.

• 187 posts
    August 31, 2016 6:39 PM PDT

Having read the "most classes will also have..." makes me think we might be on the right path here! It doesn't sound Druid exclusive at all! Thanks for finding that for me.

This post was edited by Syntro at August 31, 2016 6:39 PM PDT
    • 1778 posts
    September 1, 2016 9:44 AM PDT
    No problem and you could be right.

My only other input is I wish they'd gone with a Quentinity instead of Quadrinity. And made the 5 roles tank, healer, CC, dps, support. Support as in specializing in utility, buffs and debuffs. As it is support looks likely to be shared over most if not all classes.

Other than that I fear over hybridization (shamans). And along that line of thinking I would be careful in making classes that have that many roles they can fill get anymore
    • 187 posts
    September 1, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Amsai said: Other than that I fear over hybridization (shamans).

I couldn't have said it better - that is a huge fear of mine too.

• 1584 posts
    September 16, 2016 6:02 PM PDT

Crusader had Bulwark of Hope=  His Valor Increases his Grp/Raid bravery and prevents them from being feared and highly resistant to Cold/Fire spells/effects.

Ranger gets Nature's Grace= Making Himself Harder to hit and become deadly with his Blades/Bow 

Dire Lord get Death's Blessing= His Fierce and Reckless Attitude Makes his Grp/Raid members immune to fear and highly resistant to Disease/Poison spells/effects.

This post was edited by Cealtric at September 16, 2016 6:03 PM PDT