Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

User Interface - How important is it to tweak your UI?

• 8 posts
    August 23, 2016 10:10 AM PDT

I am a huge fan of MMOs that let you move the user interface panels and widgets around, resizing, changing colors and transparencies.

I really hope every piece of UI can be adjusted especially the chat panel being a social game needs to be excellent.

• 279 posts
    August 23, 2016 10:16 AM PDT

I really need a horizontal running spell bar and group bar. I cannot stand the Vertical style group bar i saw on the twitch. I am hoping we can just drag/resize things instead of having to edit .xml or something.

• 96 posts
    August 23, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

Some customization options would be very welcome.  Position, size, orientation, transparency...multiple chat windows with independant filters.  Thankfully no minimap to take up precious real estate ;)

• 5 posts
    August 23, 2016 11:00 AM PDT

I am going to want to be able to move, hide, resize every piece of the UI. Also changing font size is a BIG deal for me and my crappy eye sight.

• 613 posts
    August 23, 2016 11:27 AM PDT

I like the ability to move things on my UI.  If it is not going to happen its not a show stopper for me.  I think they will have that feature though.  Kilsin and Co can better answer that asumption.

Ox

• 13 posts
    August 23, 2016 11:38 AM PDT

I would truly enjoy the ability to customize the default UI, however, I do not like custom UI's that you can download and install.

Personally I like to make the UI as small as I can without being unable to read/navigate, so I can view as much of the world as possible.

• 613 posts
    August 23, 2016 11:41 AM PDT

jdusk8622 said:

I would truly enjoy the ability to customize the default UI, however, I do not like custom UI's that you can download and install.

Personally I like to make the UI as small as I can without being unable to read/navigate, so I can view as much of the world as possible.

I should have stated that one too.  Way to many issues going the DL version.

Ox

• 156 posts
    August 23, 2016 5:51 PM PDT

Sunmistress said:

I really need a horizontal running spell bar and group bar. I cannot stand the Vertical style group bar i saw on the twitch. I am hoping we can just drag/resize things instead of having to edit .xml or something.

Agreed! I like the sides of my view clear, so I can get the most peripheral vision possible. The ability to hide/move items in the GUI is a must!

• 23 posts
    August 23, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

I am all for a good open UI, witht the ability to customize the layout, as long as it doesn't give people the ability to exploit or "cheat" the game.

This post was edited by Mortam at August 23, 2016 5:57 PM PDT
    • 1404 posts
    August 23, 2016 6:17 PM PDT
    Font size is important, old eyes.
    MinI Map is important I use those a lot.

I'm pretty easy and open other than that.
    • 85 posts
    August 23, 2016 6:43 PM PDT

Very high on my list, personally. I really like having the ability to tune and tweak (and even mod if possible) nearly every aspect of the UI if possible. Games like FFXIV are really lacking in this department.

• 2419 posts
    August 23, 2016 7:29 PM PDT

This is a huge deal for me because no UI design is every done in a way that I prefer and a bad UI can completely ruin a game for me.  Most waste too much space in their element designs so the elements do not fit together very well.  They also don't know how I like my information presented.  I'd rather a developer just create the tools for creating a UI and let the players make their own, of course limiting us to only the data we should be receiving.

This may sound odd, but a good example of a horrible UI is EVE Online.

• 85 posts
    August 23, 2016 7:41 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

While I like Eve Online's UI, I'll agree the lack of customization options really turn me off. 

• 40 posts
    August 23, 2016 10:36 PM PDT

I usually don't bother unless the deafault UI is annoyingly bad. Otherwise I tend to get used to a new UI fast.

• 103 posts
    August 24, 2016 6:42 AM PDT

Very important. I almost always scale things down a bit and now that Ive started using a 30" TV as a monitor, I really need to move some of the more important UI elements closer to center.

• 173 posts
    August 24, 2016 11:51 AM PDT

I almost have to have a customizable UI.  Resize, move, or even hide some stuff based on what I want. That way i use a few pixels of screen estate as possibe to get the info i need and the rest to see this amazing game with.

• 172 posts
    August 24, 2016 12:31 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

This is a huge deal for me because no UI design is every done in a way that I prefer and a bad UI can completely ruin a game for me.  Most waste too much space in their element designs so the elements do not fit together very well.  They also don't know how I like my information presented.  I'd rather a developer just create the tools for creating a UI and let the players make their own, of course limiting us to only the data we should be receiving.

I agree with all of this.  Although I don't think a UI can make-or-break a game, it is quite important.  The ability to customize it will make any imperfections that much easier to overcome.  Especially since each player will have different tastes.

And I agree, the EVE UI was not very good.  Too many little buttons and strange list modes.  It was not always easy to select a specific asteroid to go to and then cruise over to it.  Worse yet was trying to pick out the "correct" space station from the list when in a crowded area.

This post was edited by JDNight at August 24, 2016 12:32 PM PDT
    • 17 posts
    August 26, 2016 5:56 PM PDT

Being able to move and resize UI elements is very important to me.  My monitor has a 21:9 aspect ratio, and fixed UI elements from many console ports detract from the enjoyment of the game.

• 2 posts
    August 26, 2016 6:11 PM PDT

Huge for me.

I put it before even gameplay and combat.  If the UI is to big, clunky, ugly etc. and I can't alter it, that's most likely a deal breaker.  EQ2's current "out of the box" UI is the best I've seen in a long, long time.  Hopefully something along those lines will be in play here.

This post was edited by Witless at August 26, 2016 6:11 PM PDT
    • 13 posts
    August 26, 2016 7:29 PM PDT

Hopefully the UI will be lean enough to reduce the need of tweaks. I'm starting to like games that have close to none permanent UI elements. Might be harder to do in a MMO tho.

• 22 posts
    August 26, 2016 7:48 PM PDT

I tend to stay away from mods that alter the UI interface (meaning alternate themes mostly) and stick with the original look that the developers provide. With that said, I enjoy being able to resize and move around the UI. I always like to reduce the size of the UI/chat infterface to provide maximum space for me to see whatever might be happening to my character on screen.

• 34 posts
    August 26, 2016 8:47 PM PDT

I'm fairly picky about UIs.  I prefer fully customizable UI elements.  One thing that always turns me off and has me hopping around looking for a third party solution is games that want to scale the entire thing.  I like big huge buttons, and a chat window with larger font.  I don't, however, want to scale my party frames to take up the entire left half of my screen.  I usually set up my bars for a couple of large full 12 button bars that are hotkeyed (large to more easily see CDs on abilities), and 1 or 2 clicky bars scaled down in size for buffs, food, mounts, ports, etc.  At the end of the day, I'm not concerned with backgrounds or window colors and things of that nature, but the ability to individually scale the size of frames, and not the entire overlay, is important to me.  I like the way both EQ2 and LotRO did it where you could save a layout and easily import it for different characters.  On my healer, for example, I'm going to want larger raid frames to click than for a tank where additional visibility can be more important.  Simply scaling the whole UI to accomodate larger resolutions isn't a very effective solution for me.

• 1281 posts
    August 28, 2016 2:25 PM PDT

The primary interest I have in customizing the UI is to move windows around and perhaps adjust sizes and such. I don't plan to use the ability to re-skin my UI, but I definitely support having that and all sorts of customizations even if I don't use them.

This post was edited by bigdogchris at August 28, 2016 2:26 PM PDT
    • 93 posts
    August 29, 2016 2:08 AM PDT

The ability to be able to adjust the UI is important to me.  I normally do rearrange the layout and set things up how I like.  I use a G13 gamepad for mmos.  Going back to just keyboard and mouse makes me cringe, well only a little bit.  :P

What I like to do is have some hotbar setup to reflect the layout of the G13, so it gives a quick visual reference to abilities that are commonly used.  Using the G13 just feels more fluid and fun.

This post was edited by Vaultarn at August 29, 2016 2:08 AM PDT
    • 793 posts
    August 29, 2016 5:40 AM PDT

I like my UI's to be simple. By that I mean, not having all these fancy scroll elemnts and graphics on the borders. Give me simple square boxes that I can move, and resize, and that allow me to have horizontal OR vertical layout of any and all information I choose.

I also really like the "viewport" option in EQ so I could not only resize my gaming window to not be covered by the UI, and that allowed my UI to be along the edges or bottom with black backgrounds, versus being translucent and fighting font color issues backed on the zone you were in. (IE: grassy zones made green text harder to see, sandy zones tan/beige text harder, caves gray or black hard to see)

For those that don't know, the viewport option was like a window within your game window, allowing you to get the full game screen sized down inside your monitor screen.

You didn't give up any viewing area, just resized it to give yourself an outside area to place UI components. (Note: IMO this is too many UI compnents. :) )

This post was edited by Fulton at August 29, 2016 6:50 AM PDT