Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Favorite Fantasy/Sci-Fi literature (Top 5)

• 159 posts
    October 29, 2017 5:02 PM PDT

I don't really like to do "top x" lists, since I don't think it really does justice to the fact that lots of different works have different strenghts, or may appeal to you at different times. That said, in terms of fantasy I have little knowledge besides Tolkien. I do love Marion Zimmer Bradley, not just for The Mists of Avalon series, which I think is what she's best known for, but also for The Fall of Atlantis series and The Firebrand. Another series I loved reading was Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon.

I'm more comfortable around sci-fi, though I don't read nearly as much as I used to and I find myself catching up with classics more than exploring new authors. The Dune series by Frank Herbert is one I'd recommend for sure, but he has other shorter books such as The White Plague that I also enjoyed. Any Asimov robot story will have me hooked and yes, I even enjoyed most movie adaptations. Also by Asimov, though not so heavy on robots (for the most part), the Foundation Saga is another monumental work that I'd recommend. Bringing it closer to the present, you shouldn't miss out on Ted Chiang, the guy who wrote The Story of Your Life which was recently adapted to the movies as The Arrival (the story is better than the movie, but the movie is still pretty good).

• 334 posts
    October 29, 2017 5:45 PM PDT

I also read the Asimov sersies and not many noticed the later books he wrote to join the Robot, Empire and Foundations series into 1 long storyline.

I also want to add David Eddings and the The Belgariad and the The Malloreon series (though I found the latter more a more of the same circle)
    Then I recall reading Sherwood Smith with Inda/The Fox/King's Shield/Treason's Shore.
    Those, with Feist, have as similarity that they are stories that start with a young one that will come of age, overcomes to reach high status. A bit like your MMO character, lol.

• 769 posts
    October 30, 2017 12:28 PM PDT

Seeing a lot of repeats here - and they're all great novels, but I have a few must reads for ya'll. 

The Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb (Continued in the Tawny Man Trilogy): 6 books set in the Six Duchies by my favorite author. I've found, as I grow older, that most of my favorite author's are women. They really take character development to a whole new level. This series takes characters and gives them real, believable faults. There aren't fireballs and wizards running rampant, but it still feels like high fantasy. She also does a fantastic job of really building a world organically through the story and not just making it an encyclopedic entry. Very highly recommend this series - as well as The Soldier Son Trilogy, which is set in a different but no less breathtaking world. One of those authors that can effortlessly take modern issues and integrate them into her stories without being overbearing. All of these are done in 1st person narrative and have equally strong female and male characters throughout. Read them, you must. 

The Song of Albion Series by Stephen Lawhead: I may be biased here, but as someone who is fascinated with all things Celtic, these books really hit home with me. The trilogy follows Lewis, a student at Oxford, who tumbles into a Celtic world filled with wonder, and becomes Llew Silver Hand. The way Lawhead pulls you into the characters and the world is reminiscent of Tolkien. You really end up rooting for the hero here, and the ending damn near made me tear up a little bit. Even if you're not as big of a Celtic nerd as I am, this is a must read. Someone also mentioned Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle, which is Lawheads version of Camelot set in a Celtic theme. Those are GREAT books as well, and I'd highly recommend them, however they are very Christian themed, sometimes too overly-heavy for me. Either way, great author in all. 

Troy Trilogy by David Gemmell: An alternate version of the Battle of Troy, and the peak of David Gemmell's storytelling. I wasn't a huge fan of this author - most of his early works were just a mess of cliche's and bad writing - but he really stepped up for this trilogy. If ever they make a new Troy movie, they should take it directly from this trilogy. I believe it was also the last trilogy he ever wrote, having died not long after. He finished strong. 

Dragonvarld Trilogy by Margaret Weis: We all know Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. If someone hadn't already used the Deathgate Cycle, that would've been my first choice (and I'd say it surpasses Dragonvarld), but I wanted to go somewhere new. A different world with a refreshing take on the dragon trope we're all so familiar with. Like any of her books, this one will definitely keep you well entertained. 

Villains By Necessity by Eve Forward: This one you'll probably scoff at. It was the first fantasy book I ever bought when I was around 12-13, and only the second I'd ever read (following Tolkien), so my impression here is pretty biased. It's not exceptionally well written, but it takes all the fantasy cliche's we're so familiar with and finds a way to make fun of them even while creating a pretty dam entertaining story. It follows a group of villains that have to cause destruction in order to save the world. The band of goody two-shoes that tries to stop them will confuse you, as they seem to have come right out of something from Forgotten Realms, even as they're portrayed as the antagonist of this story. Good, easy read that will give you a chuckle. 

• 213 posts
    October 30, 2017 8:08 PM PDT

Iron druid Chronicles.  By Kevin Hearne. 

If ya like fantasy with your humor, this is a sure bet.  :).    Only naming one book in hopes people will check it out.  It's that good.  It's about a 2000 year old Druid living in modern day Arizona.   He's got an Irish wolfhound who he can speak with telepathically and this dog is hillarious!  If you're into audiobooks this one is a rare treat because the voice actor is Ahmazing!   The first book is titled "Hounded."   Just in case you want to listen to a snippe on audibLe.  

• 220 posts
    October 30, 2017 9:46 PM PDT

Oldtimer said:

I see some really great titles listed here. I dont have a Top 5 list per se but,  I will throw out a Fantasy book series I dont see mentioned here.. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. It was a series of three trilogys aka The First, Second and Last Chronicles.

When a new title in the series was released, I would read it as soon as I got my hands on it, I guess it could have been compared to "binge watching" as it's known today :) 

I thought the story line and character development were on par with The Hobbit/LotR and the lore and history was very detailed and just as complex. I would like to see a series developed for the movie theatres or maybe even a TV series.....Cheers

Nailed it! currently in the middle of this series and am hooked like i was with hitchikers guide to the galaxy as a kid.  great call oldtimer!

• 15 posts
    October 31, 2017 5:17 PM PDT

Oh this is a good post for me to come back to as I am always looking for more books! Lately I haven't had time to read, but I've been going through audiobooks like crazy. I'm more of a fan of fantasy than Sci-Fi, so that is what I'll list here.

The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson sticks out for me. I'm super excited that the 3rd book is coming out in 2 weeks. :D
    The First Law series by Joe Ambercrombie I liked as well. 
    An Ember in the Ashes series by Sabaa Tahir I've grown to enjoy. At first I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy the series, but was hooked a little ways into the first book. Now I'm eagerly awaiting the next book that doesn't come out until April 2018 :(.

Oh and I almost forgot, anything of Terry Pratchett's really. My favorite books are where Death has a major role (Hogsfather). These aren't epic storylines like the above, but they are light and easy reads that will evoke giggles from me. 

This post was edited by Elemenohpe at October 31, 2017 5:31 PM PDT
    • 1 posts
    November 10, 2017 3:33 PM PST
    So many great book recommendations so far! I’d like to add a few of my own, which I don’t believe have been mentioned yet. The first is A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr, it’s a great post-apocalyptic sci-fi read. And Scott Lynch’s Gentleman Bastard series is a favourite of mine, the first book is titled The Lies of Locke Lamora. He’s currently working on the fourth novel. This is a series definitely worth looking up.