Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Augmented Reality Tradeskilling Mini-game

• 4 posts
    July 30, 2016 11:40 AM PDT

Hey all, first post here-

I was just mentioning to Aradune on facebook that it would be very interesting to build out a 'mini-game' augmented reality application for mobile devices.

Imagine if you could walk around and collect tradeskill resources from your mobile device while at work, on lunch, hanging out with normals IRL etc. and have them sync back to your character on the full desktop game. Perhaps even do tradeskilling from the device itself.

Maybe a diplomacy 'mini-game' of the same ilk?

I know as someone who is driven by group and raid experiences tradeskill incentives have been few and far between in games for me. This would be immersive and allow for progress to be made from anywhere with mobile service/wifi. (SFW? I think so.) With Pokemon Go and Ingress being so popular and fun I've just been thinking of ways to add a facet to the full MMORPG games as opposed to a stand-alone model.

I think it would be an epic way for people who are hardcore but do have full-time jobs/families/lives to hold an edge.

• 25 posts
    July 30, 2016 12:27 PM PDT

I like the Idea... Sounds like an awesome way to collect the mats needed Offline..

Longshanks King of England

• 166 posts
    July 30, 2016 12:38 PM PDT

Hi!

The idea of having a part of the game on the mobile device sounds good to me on the first view. I'm not sure which possibilites should be there on the mobile app, but at least a chat client to join guild chat would be a thing.

On the other hand, a way to collect ressources maybe not a very good idea. As pantheon is going to be a very group centric game. So the ressources should be obtained in game by defeating strong mobs while beeing in a group.

Trading in some way or another as you mentioned, may be a thing which can be another part of a possible mobile app. Maybe other parts can also be fun to play while not at home on your PC.

So in general I don't think this is a bad idea, because many of us now have jobs, family, etc. and not the time to play the whole day, but maybe have some little breaks where they maybe want to participate a bit in the world of terminus. But the app must be fun and the content it delivers must fit to the overall concept of the game.

And there is another reason against such an app. It would bind development ressources time and money which maybe is better spend for ingame content. But if it is in the budget, it makes sense for the game and is fun to play, then i will for sure install this app on my mobile.

• 4 posts
    July 30, 2016 12:40 PM PDT

Guild chat, great idea.

Landbert said:

On the other hand, a way to collect ressources maybe not a very good idea. As pantheon is going to be a very group centric game. So the ressources should be obtained in game by defeating strong mobs while beeing in a group

As far as resources, what about non-magic / non-rare materials like...lumber, ore, etc? These can be gathered with tools+skills as opposed to groups+combat

This post was edited by Destinova at July 30, 2016 12:45 PM PDT
    • 644 posts
    July 30, 2016 12:58 PM PDT

I'd love a Pokemon-Go style game which actually gets you items on your character in the game.

• 166 posts
    July 30, 2016 1:06 PM PDT

@Destinova No, I would appreciate if there are really no materials which you can be obtained using the mobile app and later used to craft something with in Pantheon.

But fazools answer pointed me to another direction for the app. Beside the chat functionallity there should be nothing which is connected direclty with Pantheon. Instead it could be a mini game for it's own. Maybe with fighting, collecting ressources, crafting and so on, but all in its own little world.

Don't really believe such a app will ever happen, but as mentioned before, if it is made good, it could be fun for the time you are away from your gaming PC.

• 4 posts
    July 30, 2016 1:07 PM PDT

Landbert said:

But fazools answer pointed me to another direction for the app. Beside the chat functionallity there should be nothing which is connected direclty with Pantheon. Instead it could be a mini game for it's own. Maybe with fighting, collecting ressources, crafting and so on, but all in its own little world.

Yea that's not what I'm suggesting here

• 116 posts
    August 1, 2016 10:25 AM PDT

An app completely disconnected from the main game except for chat sounds like a waste of efforts.

I know I would use an app that allowed me to put time in my main character while away from the gaming PC. Crafting from mats already gathered seems like an obvious option to me. As for mats gathering, it's about balancing the risk. I'm not sure if it can be done.

• 257 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:10 AM PDT

Neverwinter had what you are talking about. It was a great addition to the game, but it was designed for the free (no monthly subscription) style. If something like this was to be implemented here, I would keep that in mind. Some changes would be necessary.

This post was edited by Retsof at August 1, 2016 11:10 AM PDT
    • 205 posts
    August 1, 2016 11:22 AM PDT
    Hey all...... interesting comments. My BIGGEST concern with mobile applications is the possibility it will isolate us from one another. I prefer in person immersion. I do like the guild chat version though. My current game (Rift) "had" this and it was phased out. I did enjoy the guild chat function (if only to tell them I may be running late to a raid).
    • 116 posts
    August 1, 2016 12:37 PM PDT

Retsof said:

Neverwinter had what you are talking about. It was a great addition to the game, but it was designed for the free (no monthly subscription) style. If something like this was to be implemented here, I would keep that in mind. Some changes would be necessary.

Yes, Neverwinter had the right idea with the app. Sadly, it's crafting was a terrible system where you would simply send NPC to craft something over the next few hours instead of actual crafting.

Give me Vanguard crafting game with comlications and all, but on my phone screen.

Bringerz said: Hey all...... interesting comments. My BIGGEST concern with mobile applications is the possibility it will isolate us from one another. I prefer in person immersion. I do like the guild chat version though. My current game (Rift) "had" this and it was phased out. I did enjoy the guild chat function (if only to tell them I may be running late to a raid).

I cannot speak for everyone, but I want an app so I can live some of terminus while I can't be at the PC. It wouldn't isolate me, it would give me a bigger online presence.

• 4 posts
    August 3, 2016 8:50 PM PDT

Give me Vanguard crafting game with comlications and all, but on my phone screen.

I cannot speak for everyone, but I want an app so I can live some of terminus while I can't be at the PC. It wouldn't isolate me, it would give me a bigger online presence.

This is what I'm saying. 

We could satisfy a craving, hold an edge competitively, stay in communication with the guild/friends and, be produtive/progressive on our characters. I liked Vanguard's crafting and, I feel it would compute into an immersive mobile app super smoothly. Still your time invested, still fun. Sort of where I had my head at when I said diplomacy facet as well. All of that Vanguard diplo would come over nice in an augmented reality mode.

• 1618 posts
    December 26, 2016 7:04 PM PST

This would be great for me. Too much time away from my desktop. An app actually tied into the game would be perfect, not just an external disconnected mini game.

• 120 posts
    December 26, 2016 7:21 PM PST

These type of things are always difficult for me to determine if I would be or wouldn't be for it. Most of the time, random stuff like this always sounds fun on paper and engaging, but turns out to be a mess that players will complain about and find useless. The idea to launch it as an "extra" feature with marginal benefits is also somewhat difficult. You end up having a feature that player's won't use because it isn't worth their time, or feel required to use it because it is necessary to stay on top. Ultimately though, I want to play this game at the comfort of my chair reclined or the comfort of someone else chair. The idea of walking around in real life to collect things is not something I would, at least at first, be inclined to do. If it falls under some of the catagories I mentioned, it creates even a bigger problem for a player like me. I do fully support more stuff to do though, and have never had a problem with many of the other MMOs I've played that have mobile additions. Granted those never had me running around irl to get resources.

If there was some way to play the game itself, or something you could do to take advantage of the game from a mobile device so that people who couldn't be at their computer 24/7 could play, that may be great. In this situation though I would prefer it to not be an "extra" feature that becomes essential to the progression of my character.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding you either and you never intended for the idea of being anything I mentioned.

• 1303 posts
    December 27, 2016 8:38 AM PST

I'm ok with an app that allows guild chat. I'm ok with being able to view your characters sheet, and see your inventory, reputations, skills, etc.  I'm not ok with anything that as interactive effect on anything about your character. 

There's really no way to replicate the core tennents of Pantheon with a phone app. The socialization, the group-based emphasis, the interactive nature of competitive content; these all require the full in-game experience with other players at least being present, if not in direction cooperation with you. Not to mention the challenges of the game world that must be overcome in order to even gather resources. Mobs, landscapes, and player knowledge should play a significant role in that, not a few clicks on a phone. 

• 556 posts
    December 27, 2016 9:14 AM PST

The only way I could see this being a possiblity is if there is some type of solo gathering thing in game. For instance, if and when housing is put in, let's say they allow you to build a farm on your land and raise crops for cooking. That, I can see being a phone type thing so you could tend to them while away. But being able to gather meat, ore, leather, and other things that generally come from mobs would be something that is simply not doable. Now if they want to make the game totally playable from a phone, well that's a whole different topic and incredibly unlikely

• 1778 posts
    December 27, 2016 9:28 AM PST
    I hate to be be negative but I had a reaction from the thread title alone. So without much detail. Please no.
    • 1618 posts
    December 27, 2016 3:43 PM PST

if it happens, it will be a long time away from now.