Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

GM Events ! !

• 109 posts
    July 15, 2016 2:07 PM PDT

Ok so I'm sure it'll happen, but I want to be positive. I LOVE  GM events. Whether it be a shot at fame, getting to know the staff, getting to know other players, win prizes, or just to kill time- they're terrific to have and would love to see them in Pantheon. I'm sure with all the emulators out there, there must be some brilliant events we all have been able to partake in that we absolutley loved and would enjoy to see again, if the staff likes the ideas and/or think they're feasible.

Roll the dice: just stand in a single file line, when you get to the front, the GM tells you what numbers to roll and then they decide what price to give you (illusions potions, money, exp potions, death, teleport to a zone the player behind me chooses, and sometimes "fame"- used for custom game titles, armor dyes, clicky werefrog; though in my 4 years i never was able to accumulate enough fame to spend any of it)

War event: npcs from kunark would come to lfay- if not destroyed, the mobs will take over gfay, then athica. many players would start a raid to kill the mass swarms of mobs, it was scary- usually dropping minor upgrades to benefit low lvl toons, and on a rare occasion drop clickies. i had one clicky (i may of been the only one ever to of received it) that was a 'burst of fire' .05 sec cast time for like 5dmg. useless?? not if you're rooted and don't want to dispell yourself on a pve server (These were fun, SCARY, but also annoying if bound in athica and found yourself in a death loop- but my forite event)

treasure: this is great if you are shy on staff and/or a single GM just wants to kill time.. you'd get "there is treasure to be found in Gfay" emote will go off, go to the zone and look at all the npc's/mobs for a creature that looks like a regular npc but the name "a golden beast" or something. when you hail it, you get minor amount of plat or something dumb. i've seen some players get lucky and get that fame i was talking about.

naked race:  i especially never understood why this was so fun but many participated in making a lvl1 toon specifically for a GM race in the arena zone. they'd put up whirlwinds you are supposed to navigate around, etc. i guess mostly people enjoyed it for making a funny-named character ??

Lottery: there was an npc you could buy lottery tickets from, 100pp each ticket. at the end you might win money, sometimes fame, and rarely a charm (on this emu the charm was a money sink to keep players motivated to keep farming and hella rough to get good ones) the lottery was done maybe twice a year, still enjoyed it!!

This post was edited by Shayken at July 15, 2016 2:11 PM PDT
    • 134 posts
    July 15, 2016 8:25 PM PDT

Last stream they confirmed GM events.

• 34 posts
    July 16, 2016 8:34 AM PDT

I've been on both sides of GM events, and they're such a blast. It's great news to hear they'll be a part of the game.

Oftentimes, the simplest of events can be quite enjoyable... An orc royal appears, fed up with the constant slaying of its lesser subjects... A giant fire elemental emerges from a river of lava... A dragon swoops down from (wherever in Terminus they reside) ("There hasn't been a dragon in these parts for years!")... A pickpocket has been seen lurking around player camps... Impromptu kill targets requiring cooperation of more than one player group... Simple and perhaps a little chaotic, but as a player, you feel a part of a happening and something outside the norm (with a chance at some loot!)...

Simplicity works well, but hopefully GMs will also have the ability to orchestrate some more complex events as well.

• 109 posts
    July 16, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

Dhampir said:

awesome! thanks! I guess it was towards the end of the twitch, i think i only got up to 3/4 of it

• 205 posts
    July 16, 2016 10:17 AM PDT

I have always LOVED GM events. Even simple ones like simple information  was fun. I also like when a bigger event was spawned by a GM. I just hate missing them. My last GM event was during one of our raids and the GM took over the raid boss ..... we died a horrible death, however, it was super awesome!!

• 409 posts
    July 16, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

I hope they do like long running ones.. that we as a community can take part in. :)

• 134 posts
    July 16, 2016 6:59 PM PDT

Shayken said:

Dhampir said:

awesome! thanks! I guess it was towards the end of the twitch, i think i only got up to 3/4 of it

I believe it was in text chat at the end after it ended.

• 9115 posts
    July 17, 2016 3:00 AM PDT

Shayken said:

Dhampir said:

I have mentioned that I am in favour of GM events and a Guides program in both streams, in my interview stream with Voices of Terminus and on the forums several times, so you can be sure that we have it on our minds ;)

• 1434 posts
    July 17, 2016 3:44 AM PDT

I got to experience a number of GM events in the early years of EQ, and I believe they played a major role in my perception and expectations for MMORPGs. It was those kinds of dynamics that gave me immersion overload, and made me long for the day when we could have that kind of impact on the world and personally experience and take part in the unfolding of events in a virtual world. They weren't just a cutscene that every player watches after following the golden path, but a true exposition in the games narrative that we're able to take part in.

I really hope we can have this again in Pantheon. More than that, I'd love to be on the other side and take part in creating and carrying out these events.

This post was edited by Dullahan at July 17, 2016 3:45 AM PDT
    • 257 posts
    July 17, 2016 9:22 PM PDT

I'm a fan of short GM encounters. Examples:

Your group is camping Orc 1. Your monk goes to pull as usual. What he/she doesn't know is that a GM took control of them and destroys the group. As a nice GM, he/she rez the group, but turns everyone into ducks that you can't click off for a whole hour.

Zone chat crying on who should have rights to which camps. Major QQing. GM trains the zone with so many skeletons that have the people there lag out and lose connection.

and umm.. oh, bananaphone dancing.

• 668 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:05 PM PDT

I just wanted to comment on this older post because it talks about GM events, something I found very unique to Everquest and in my opinion, adds event more to the "dynamic" element in a gaming world.

For those not familiar with them, Game Guides and or Devs would create an impromptu game event and actually log into the game and control a unique NPC.  They would come in without announcement, so no prior planning for the player, you were either logged-in at the time or not to experience it.  This could be the form of a giant creature stomping around, or a very suspicious NPC no one has ever seen before.

Soon word traveled across the world that this unique being was spotted, and I remember how everyone used to stop what they were doing to run out to the zone where the event was taking place.  Often times, it took key words for the NPC to repsond with a clue to the next part of the story.  Some of these would involve heading somewhere else once the clue was discovered.  At the end of these events, certain players were given a unique item or reward for their efforts in solving the riddles or the event agenda.

With modern technology, this could be done insanely well and could not imagine how competitive or fun these could be.  This is another key feature to me that will tug at people wanting to always be logged in so they don't miss out.

Others please chime in on your thought...  Also to Kilsin, I take it this is still on the radar for Pantheon?  I could see this being really creative and playing into the lore of the game.

This post was edited by Pyye at March 20, 2017 5:11 PM PDT
    • 264 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:32 PM PDT

Pyye said:

I just wanted to comment on this older post because it talks about GM events, something I found very unique to Everquest and in my opinion, adds event more to the "dynamic" element in a gaming world.

For those not familiar with them, Game Guides and or Devs would create an impromptu game event and actually log into the game and control a unique NPC.  They would come in without announcement, so no prior planning for the player, you were either logged-in at the time or not to experience it.  This could be the form of a giant creature stomping around, or a very suspicious NPC no one has ever seen before.

Soon word traveled across the world that this unique being was spotted, and I remember how everyone used to stop what they were doing to run out to the zone where the event was taking place.  Often times, it took key words for the NPC to repsond with a clue to the next part of the story.  Some of these would involve heading somewhere else once the clue was discovered.  At the end of these events, certain players were given a unique item or reward for their efforts in solving the riddles or the event agenda.

With modern technology, this could be done insanely well and could not imagine how competitive or fun these could be.  This is another key feature to me that will tug at people wanting to always be logged in so they don't miss out.

Others please chime in on your thought...  Also to Kilsin, I take it this is still on the radar for Pantheon?  I could see this being really creative and playing into the lore of the game.

A thousand thumbs up Pyye; I have fond memories of the same thing in EQ. 

• 13 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:38 PM PDT

I remember GM events fondly in EQ.  They were a blast!  I was part of one in Kithicor, but it kind of just fizzled out, and there was no real "conclusion" to the event. 

I'd love to see GM events that are pre-planned (at least to the degree that they have a beginning, middle, and end). 

Also, why not have staff, not necessarily GMs, just take control of an NPC character and have them interact with players?  I always envisioned the next step of MMORPGs involving a member of VR taking control of an "NPC" in the game.  Didn't this happen once in EQ, where Brad played "Aradune" as the avatar of Mithanial Marr?   

• 9115 posts
    March 20, 2017 5:45 PM PDT

Pyye said:

Yes, Guides, GMs and Devs will be having fun with these events on random occasions :)

• 2419 posts
    March 20, 2017 6:10 PM PDT

I'm of the quite opposite opinion of GM events because, in my experience, only a very rare few were actually interesting.  The rest were just lagfests where people were just spamming all the local chat channels with garbage while many people would just try to kill the GM or otherwise totally ruin the event however they could like training the entire zone into the event.  Bloody Kithicor was a great event that was very interesting and well run..but that was a very early game event.  As EQ1 aged, events were just ruined time and time again.

Where I really have a problem with events is when the outcome is pre-determined.  The introduction of Frogloks as a playable race was preceded by The Battle for Grobb.  On Lanys server, the defenders of Grobb destroyed the Froglok invaders and their allies.  Then the sever went down, everything updated, and the next day Frogloks owned Gukta and the Trolls were over in Neriak.  Bullpuckey.  I think The Invasion of Firion Vie in Kunark by the evil forces in Kunark was another pre-determined event.

Events should have an unknown outcome.  Let the players figure out the winner.  Otherwise spend your precious developing time on other more important things.

• 3852 posts
    March 21, 2017 9:09 AM PDT

Let us keep in mind that there are different types of events. Some have predetermined outcomes - they are not going to spend many months of precious time developing some feature that most of us want and then keep it on the shelf for years because an event went the wrong way. Some may be major developer events - a dragon (palyed by VR) raids a hamlet and players swarm to defend the hamlet for example. Some may be what I would call guide events - a guide or developer or customer service person logs in outside of even Newer Halas and announces in chat. "Oh help me, I was cursed by a mermaid with an awful sense of humor, I have a fish body but cannot breathe water - can someone get me 50 pieces of globberous weed from which I can make a potion to cure myself?" ((either reward to all who do within a time limit or reward to the first)).

Any of these can be done well or done poorly. I can't disagree with Vandraad but I would like to see the team try and do them well and I think the game will be richer with them than without.

This post was edited by dorotea at March 21, 2017 9:11 AM PDT
    • 3237 posts
    March 21, 2017 12:30 PM PDT
    We had a cool event in EQ2 where the each server had an opportunity to help build the spires that would connect Norrath with the Kingdom of Sky. Lots of crafting, harvesting, and NPC slaying. I am in favor of having these kind of events every few months or so, but would prefer to see them announced ahead of time. If it's something small with no potential of a huge reward then random is fine ... but if there is something truly awesome to be had, let people know so they have a chance to participate.
    • 3016 posts
    March 21, 2017 12:34 PM PDT

In Vanilla EQ we loved our GMs and our GM events, looking forward to more of the same.   I might even volunteer as a Guide,  if I think have the time to invest, we'll see, and also if I am deemed acceptable by the Dev team or whomever determines these things. :)

Cana

• 3016 posts
    March 21, 2017 12:35 PM PDT

oneADseven said: We had a cool event in EQ2 where the each server had an opportunity to help build the spires that would connect Norrath with the Kingdom of Sky. Lots of crafting, harvesting, and NPC slaying. I am in favor of having these kind of events every few months or so, but would prefer to see them announced ahead of time. If it's something small with no potential of a huge reward then random is fine ... but if there is something truly awesome to be had, let people know so they have a chance to participate.

I remember helping build the spires in EQII.  :)

Cana

• 3852 posts
    March 22, 2017 3:55 PM PDT

I too remember the spires. Events are definitely a plus and anything major should either be announced well in advance or last long enough for almost everyone to participate.

• 2886 posts
    March 22, 2017 5:45 PM PDT

CanadinaXegony said:

In Vanilla EQ we loved our GMs and our GM events, looking forward to more of the same.   I might even volunteer as a Guide,  if I think have the time to invest, we'll see, and also if I am deemed acceptable by the Dev team or whomever determines these things. :)

Cana

I think the applications go through Kilsin. But I think you'd be a wonderful guide Cana!

• 3016 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:10 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Cana

I think the applications go through Kilsin. But I think you'd be a wonderful guide Cana!

Aw thanks Bazgrim  :) We'll see when the time comes. :)

• 668 posts
    March 22, 2017 6:56 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

CanadinaXegony said:

Cana

I second this Bazgrim...!

This post was edited by Pyye at March 22, 2017 6:57 PM PDT
    • 801 posts
    April 16, 2017 9:56 AM PDT

Happy Easter all,

and anyone see if the gm's can do +1hp, +1end Easter Eggs for us??

at lvl 1 it is ubar!!!

• 2138 posts
    April 16, 2017 10:26 AM PDT

Crazzie said:

Happy Easter all,

and anyone see if the gm's can do +1hp, +1end Easter Eggs for us??

at lvl 1 it is ubar!!!

And a good point, as the game matures there will be a number of players in various levels, the GM event for the lower levels may be trivial ot the higher players- so the trick would be for the GM to design an event that would be fun and challenging for all comers regardless of level, which I think might be tough. If GM's invade the newbie yard and start killing them left and right, older players will want to run and fight back- as an example.