Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Bind Point

• 76 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:03 PM PDT

Couldn't find any topic directly related to this...

Will caster classes be able to bind wherever they wish? Will casters be the only one's able to do this? Will toons only be able to bind in town, including casters?

Main question/desire is that casters can bind anywhere, any thoughts, comments, answers are appreciated and welcomed.

• 15 posts
    July 7, 2016 12:09 PM PDT

Loved that casters could bind any place in EQ. Hope they make it that way for Pantheon

• 70 posts
    July 7, 2016 5:23 PM PDT

Sounds like they want hardcore time sinks as they relate to travel, so it owuld not surprise me if they design it so you have to run 15 minutes back to your corpse if you die.  I haven't heard that said, but there seems to be a lot of desire by many to make it painful.  I wouldn't be surprised if Clerics do not even get a rez spell.  LOL.

• 2138 posts
    July 7, 2016 5:45 PM PDT

I like the idea of being able ot bind only in cities- but there are some dungeons that are theoretically cities...

And I dont think its a time sink per se, but rather a mechanic that encourages the player to play well so as to -not- have to die and make that 15min run.

Of course, there will be the times, usually when younger- and because younger a shorter run (5 min maybe).

But enough of that- and you get good, or, know when to bail. And its great when everyone is thinking along those same lines, form having had the same experience.

And from that you somethimes get sacrifice (let me die! you run!)

and form that, suddenly some songs and some quotes find association:

like: "and we could be hero's, if just for one day"

or  "The needs of the many far outweigh the needs of the few, or the one, and sometimes, the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many"

or  for a raid target " My name is (Hackerssuck) Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next". 

This post was edited by Manouk at July 7, 2016 6:06 PM PDT
    • 76 posts
    July 8, 2016 7:30 AM PDT

I think of it more as a perk for casting classes, although one could argue they don't need any add-on perks to make them more desirable to play. I Think PoD's from EQ worked well for the cities, but it would be neat to have the feature in the game for casters. Would love using this as a caster and porting people around.

• 432 posts
    July 8, 2016 7:39 AM PDT
    I would be one of those who would say casting classes don't need any more perks to make them desirable to play.
    Sorry to say, I don't agree with the premise that casters need something like this because #icastmagicimspecial. I would support one class in the game having a feature to bind themselves and others outside cities. Maybe druid. It would be a nice niche spell for a single class.

Sent via mobile

-Todd
    • 70 posts
    July 8, 2016 8:45 AM PDT

I always thought EQ's method was good.  Typically, no one can solo raid content without tanks.  So, make it so melees bind in cities and have to be summoned (call of the hero) or rezzed if they die.  The non melee types are sitting on their butts after a wipe meditating and rebuffing. CotH may not be something most would like.  Just trying to make a point.  If you have the right mix of classes, recovering from a wipe is less painful.  Thus it encourages all classes to be played and included in raids.

• 88 posts
    July 8, 2016 8:55 AM PDT

I would prefer a mix of where anyone can bind in the cities dependent on your faction with casters being able to do hub areas.

• 184 posts
    July 8, 2016 9:12 AM PDT

I sure hope we can bind anywhere... I believe "Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword"... If a Caster chooses to bind himself in a dangerous location then he should assume all the risks associated with that decision.

This post was edited by Rint at July 8, 2016 9:13 AM PDT
    • 109 posts
    July 8, 2016 10:32 AM PDT

I don't really care either way, as I don't plan to play a caster, I just want to throw this out there. 

On this one game you could bind inside/outside cities and in some rarer areas, when walking near the area it says 'you feel safe to bind here'..

They also had quests in the major cities where you can get a 30second gate clicky for that specific city. the quests weren't "difficult" but they were annoying and time consuing, especially if two boxing or rolling alts.. They were quite handy though, we'd bind outside a raid zone where you pretty much needed a Mage to use 'call of the hero' to summon you for the end-game raid zone, then you could use the city gate clickies to get back to town, or gate to the bind area and load another porter at that location to take you somewhere else..

• 780 posts
    January 13, 2017 1:50 PM PST

P1999EQLandmark said:

Couldn't find any topic directly related to this...

Will caster classes be able to bind wherever they wish? Will casters be the only one's able to do this? Will toons only be able to bind in town, including casters?

Main question/desire is that casters can bind anywhere, any thoughts, comments, answers are appreciated and welcomed.

This question popped into my head and a search led me here.  I hope they go the early EverQuest route with this.  I loved how the only way you could change your bind point was through yourself or other players.  I miss that interaction.  No running up to an NPC soulbinder and clicking on him/her to change it.  I do see how melee players might think it's unfair that only casters get Bind Affinity, but it does make sense.  They cast spells.  It's a spell.  I largely played melee and I never minded it.  Anyone know how binding worked in Vanguard?

I also searched for threads about Origin/Hearthstone abilities, but didn't come up with anything.  Does anyone know if the developers have mentioned anything about this anywhere?

• 2130 posts
    January 13, 2017 2:05 PM PST

Binding in Vanguard was done through stones that looked similar to the riftway stones but were a distinctive light blue color. They were placed throughout the world, usually at outposts/villages or other important areas around the world.

This post was edited by Liav at January 13, 2017 2:55 PM PST
    • 780 posts
    January 13, 2017 2:33 PM PST

Thanks.  Well, this is not a huge deal for me.  I can live with it either way.  I just enjoyed the whole 'bind anywhere' thing.  Instead of all being at the Soulbinder, you could choose your specific spot.  On a bed inside a house, behind a waterfall, whatever.  Still, using a Soulbinder and having Origin on my TLP paladin did not ruin the game.

I guess they could take some of the 'perk' away from casters by allowing melee to bind anywhere, but still have them require a caster to bind them.  I'm also not against giving the Bind Affinity (or whatever it ends up being called) spell to a specific class, if they decide to do that.

• 432 posts
    January 13, 2017 2:37 PM PST

Opinions can change, just like mine.

World of Warcraft has like ... 3 hearthstones now. And its so rediculous everyone can get anywhere they need to go without having to travel. A bind location I think now would be something nice for a few classes to do.

Consider something like a soul pillar located in 2 or 3 places in the world. If you die, you go allllll the way back to one of these pillars and have to somehow get all the way back to your corpse. To make it easier for the player maybe certain classes have the ability of binding souls to special area's in the world.

Druid Rings

Mage Summoning stones

Monk meditation sites

Necromancer's Ziggarauts

The point is you need other players to be able to have your spirit bound here. I would also refrain from having a hearthstone or any created item that cheapens the interaction between players. I like the idea of a players class having something to do which is unique. 

I know this post is at odds with my previous one. But hey, an opportunity to grow and form new opinions. The more things a class can do which are unique and add to its identity the better. 

-Todd

• 610 posts
    January 13, 2017 2:52 PM PST

In the first live stream they would respawn at the nexus stone in the village...I bet those are the bind stones like in Vanguard

• 9115 posts
    January 13, 2017 4:50 PM PST

Sevens said:

In the first live stream they would respawn at the nexus stone in the village...I bet those are the bind stones like in Vanguard

No, you may have missed my previous explanations on this but they are developer only portal stones for us to get from the secret dev room to anywhere in the world, and then within those zones we use /slash commands to port around to different locations.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at January 13, 2017 4:50 PM PST
    • 3016 posts
    January 13, 2017 6:12 PM PST

Shayken said:

I don't really care either way, as I don't plan to play a caster, I just want to throw this out there. 

On this one game you could bind inside/outside cities and in some rarer areas, when walking near the area it says 'you feel safe to bind here'..

They also had quests in the major cities where you can get a 30second gate clicky for that specific city. the quests weren't "difficult" but they were annoying and time consuing, especially if two boxing or rolling alts.. They were quite handy though, we'd bind outside a raid zone where you pretty much needed a Mage to use 'call of the hero' to summon you for the end-game raid zone, then you could use the city gate clickies to get back to town, or gate to the bind area and load another porter at that location to take you somewhere else..

Wizards ( and probably Druids in EQ) could bind close to a city or town in the early days, don't remember if that changed afterwards.

• 134 posts
    January 13, 2017 7:50 PM PST

I'm honestly hoping the concept of binding becomes useful for anyone in capital cities.

Have an NPC that binds in capital cities, and let casters bind anywhere they want except dungeons.

This post was edited by Dhampir at January 13, 2017 7:51 PM PST
    • 1434 posts
    January 13, 2017 8:35 PM PST

I think an ability to bind should only take hold near a city or outpost. Allowing players to bind in dungeons made it too easy to circumvent content.

I would like to see it left up to the players, because it was just one more opportunity for interaction, but could see it being relegated to a rift or npc. However they do it, it's important because it ties into the death penalty, and should be up to the player to plan ahead and bind wisely.

• 169 posts
    January 14, 2017 10:14 AM PST

It might be a good idea to have a slight modification on binds.  For instance allow non caster classes the ability to bind in cities via NPCs, but allow caster classes to bind non caster classes anywhere they can bind themselves.

• 780 posts
    January 14, 2017 12:27 PM PST

UnknownQuantity said:

It might be a good idea to have a slight modification on binds.  For instance allow non caster classes the ability to bind in cities via NPCs, but allow caster classes to bind non caster classes anywhere they can bind themselves.

Sounds good to me.

• 121 posts
    January 14, 2017 5:01 PM PST

Shucklighter said:

UnknownQuantity said:

Sounds good to me.

Yeah, I would like to see this also.  Seems like a fair compromise.  It does bring back memories of stopping at FP gate looking for a bind before I dared go any further.  I'm sure better in memory than it would be in use today but fun to think about.

• 2886 posts
    January 15, 2017 10:31 AM PST

This is a good question as I only just realized that EQ1 changed the way binding works. It was so convenient to be able to bind in Dagnor's Cauldron to make my Unrest farming much more efficient. But now you can only bind in cities. Which is kinda lame cause most cities have a spirit binder anyway.

I think if you're a caster that has an ability to bind, you should be able to bind yourself pretty much anywhere. And you can bind other people anywhere as well. (Of course giving them the option to Accept/Decline it lol) I think that's how it was in classic EQ. This also opens up an opportunity for providing a service for plat, and therefore just more player interaction. Hard to tell if being able to bind anywhere would be TOO convenient and decrease the fear of dying. But I guess that's something we'd just hafta see in testing.

• 1399 posts
    November 13, 2017 9:44 PM PST

I would prefer the way it was done in EQ, and not just becouse it was "in EQ" but becouse it just seem Lore Correct (if thats a thing) casters can cast spells, melee can't. 

To compromise that and make a NPC or a Rock in the city that can bind melee will also compromise player interaction and i thought we were trying to create more interaction, not compromise it for convience.

I also think binding should be able to be done anyplace (by a limited number of classes that can cast it) on any player. As i recall in early EQ melee could only be bound in city's, I never understood the resoning behind that, I understand they shouldent be able to cast it... but I think it should be able to be cast on them just like any other player.

As far as dangerous bind locations.... please dont protect us from ourselves if we want to bind at the zone out of Karnors Castle.... I  bet we wont do it often. If it's needed to protect the game from people exployting it, then fix it on a case by case basis,  Fix the exployte,  dont take outvtge feature, as they show up add a roaming mob in problem areas or something.

• 334 posts
    November 14, 2017 3:41 AM PST

I admit trying to get bags from the eye in Guk, selling in bazaar and binding on the strairs leading up to it. (was competing against a druid, lolol)
    That said, I do want the bind option for druid wizard (for example), and it should be an option for players to get bound for time sakes. it would really be annoying to walk all the way from a citty to some location far away, specially on death.
    So if anything, then atleast bind posibility on locations you have been (so I can't bind the cleric if it was ported in)
    Then also at certain locations within a zone; not necessarily at a zoneline (big zones), but far enough from content as to need to travel a bit.
    If roads/paths/crossroads have a structure (like pilgrims to santiago de compostella that stayed at inns and meet up at stone crosses next to roads) to travel together.

X