Forums » Pantheon Classes

Most Favorite Class Ever Played

• 19 posts
    June 30, 2016 3:01 PM PDT

What is/was your most favorite class played in any MMO?

Why is/was it your most favorite class played in any MMO?

My most favorite class...

Class: Nightblade

Game: Rift

Why: Firstly I love playing classes with a dark magic occult theme, that are not pure casters. The Nightbalde has just this as they "...draw upon the planar magics of fire and death to deal doom in a variety of ways."

Here are some lore quotes: "Acacia slipped from the shadows, cold flame dancing on her daggers. A whirlwind of fire and steel, she moved through the cultists, her blades piercing magical wards and flesh alike." "Simple footsteps settle for a dagger of iron or steel. Those who understand the true calling of the night wreath their blades in fire and leave only ashes and death in their wake!"

The Nightblade is a rogue class that utilizes darker magics, specifically that of fire and death. What I liked most about this class is that it was not your base standardized rogue class, poisons and backstabing. Instead of coating it's blades with poisons, it magically embued them with fire and death magic. Another positive is the attack range of the class, a majority of its abilities could be used from a distance up to 20 meters.  Couple its range with the classes use of teleports and temporary speed boosts it gave the class a more run and gun play style than that of the typical sneaky staby rogue. 

Here are some class defining abilities:

Fell Blades: Self Buff, Instant, Grants weapon ability attacks a 30% chance to deal an additional # Death damage, reduce healing received by 10% for 15s, and siphon the stolen healing to the Rogue. Lasts 1h.

Hellfire Blades: Self Buff, Instant, Grants weapon ability attacks a 30% chance to deal an additional # Fire damage. Lasts 1h.

Blazing Path: Self Utility, Instant, Teleports 15m forward, removes all crowd control effects and increases movement speed by 50% for 5s.

Twilight Transcendence: Self , Instant (No GCD), Removes all Curses, Diseases, and Poisons. Reduces damage taken by 50% and damage done by 40%. Restores 50% of your max health over 4s

TLDR: Rogue type class with a run and gun playstyle, uses Death Magic and Fire Magic, attacks at range up to 20m, is fast has speed buffs, can get out of sticky situations has a teleport, can survive near death experiences with life taps and a cure all near invulnerable ability. 

• 624 posts
    June 30, 2016 4:41 PM PDT

Bard in EQ; Bard in Vanguard; Bard in Bard's Tale!

I enjoy exploring to discover lore, reciting it to others while entertaining them, and having lots of tools at my fingertips to make the group better.  It's fun developing the skills to know what to use when (early game, before everyone insists you absolutely must twist songs xyz while battling raid mob Shazbot Frizzledoo).

Besides - who doesn't like entertaining the group with everything from a randy limerick to a stirring ode on their shawm.

(I know, I know - no bards at release!  Except The Keeper, of course)

• 1778 posts
    June 30, 2016 5:57 PM PDT

Ninja in FFXI.

It was an accidental tank through emergent gameplay. The most interesting and fun tank class I ever played. Played many since then and they just seem too normal and frankly boring in some cases.

• 1 posts
    June 30, 2016 6:00 PM PDT

FFXI: Bard :>

Rift: Bard ! i didn't see that one coming too i know i know 

• 432 posts
    June 30, 2016 8:01 PM PDT

Oooh, this is too tough for me to answer with just one.

Probably The Guardian Fighter from Neverwinter. I liked their active defense (holding your shield up) and their abilities were really great. What made me stop playing that game was the fact the dungeons and raids seemed to be the same thing over and over. The developers would just sh*t a bunch of adds out of somewhere. Honestly didn't make me feel like they tried too terribly hard (opinion). 

My second favorite was probably the Devoted Cleric from Neverwinter. They are the best healer EVER in my humble opinion. The reason why would be because they could do damage and THROUGH doing damage they healed. (kind of like the justicar from Rift but even BETTER). They DID have dedicating healing spells, but they were multi-layered so it gave some kind of offensive bonus. 

Lancer from Terra is a close third

In World of Warcraft ... I've played the game to death so I guess I enjoy it a lot in some ways, but, ..meh. No class has claimed my heart like the three mentioned above.

I asked my Husband which class he loved the most and it was the Scholar from FF14. Because he loves pet classes and healing classes so it was an awesome fusion for him.

Funny, He just said his close second was the Devoted Cleric from Neverwinter also. When we played that he played that class and I played the Guardian Fighter.

Why the crap aren't we playing that game and playing WoW instead!? GRR!

stupid awesome WoW lore... keeping us hooked for story.

-Todd

• 1303 posts
    July 1, 2016 10:58 AM PDT

My favorite of all games I've ever played is hands down the Necro from EQ1. Their survivability, their utility and thier flexibility were fantastic. They are the opitome of emergent behavior and that to me is what its all about. Give me tools and let me figure out how I can use them in creative ways. They werent best at anything but by the PoP era they could damn near do anything at least to some degree.

DoT dmg? Huge.
    DD dmg? Sure, some. Particuarly vs undead.
    Tank? Some, with either pet tank or tap tank.
    Heal? Yup, a little with life and mana feeds.
    CC? Yup, root always, and undead mez/charm.
    Group/Raid recovery? Second only to rogues.
    Solo? Yup, arguably the best behind druids.

But with all these tools it took real player knowledge to know what skills to have mem'd and available in what situations. It took real finesse to pull off playing the class well or employing any of thier abilities to group benefit. It was as easy for a necro to bring a group to a wipe as it was to save it from one. The player made all the difference. And for that they paid the price of having more of a difficult time finding groups or raid slots. You had to really prove yourself or you were forced to solo.

This post was edited by Feyshtey at July 1, 2016 10:59 AM PDT
    • 156 posts
    July 4, 2016 5:10 AM PDT

Two really stand out to me. Firstly the Assassin from GW1 - I loved the build up with their attacks. Having to get into melee as a squishy, use an opening attack, an offhand that played off that and then a finishing move. Loved the combinations of attacks and the general play of the class.
    Secondly would be the Tanker from City of Heroes. Dark armor and dark melee were hilarious skill sets and sexy as hell. Not the most powerful by far, but they looked and felt great!

• 68 posts
    July 4, 2016 6:17 PM PDT

Now take this in stride ive only ever played eq1/eq2/rift/vg and warhammer. however my favorite class is highly dependant on the game and versatility, i really liked the warpriest of rift, the sk of eq1 and the summoners of eq2. my favorite of all would probably be SK of eq1 the versatility of that class was second only to bards in my opinion (first if brad would kindly share his "brads fiery avenger of doom" ) hahah, second would probably be rifts warpriest as it closely tied to the sk with major differences... the class was unique and was bound by the users imagination.

• 184 posts
    August 2, 2016 9:12 PM PDT

The best class I ever played was the EQ Enchanter.

• 510 posts
    August 9, 2016 5:11 PM PDT

I have played em all by now.  Without a doubt the single best class was an Erudite Enchanter that worshipped Quellios.  I was a god.  That is all.

• 147 posts
    August 13, 2016 6:01 AM PDT

EverQuest: I liked everything about the Monk class.

• 116 posts
    August 16, 2016 6:43 AM PDT

My favorite class of character would have to have been  the Confessor from Shadowbane. He was a Healer based toon that had Fire DD, AOE and DoTs as his main damage, with Stamina and Poison damage as well. Being Healer based, he was adept at healing single targets and group AoE and HoT as well as dealing out DPS, although Fire damage was probably the most resisted type of damage in the game.

He also had some great utilty spells as well, he was able to cast individual and group damage absorbers, Stun and Root. Being a Healer based character, he also had access to the Summon spell that would teleport a player to his location.Many battles were won and lost on how efficient your healers were able to Summon back the players who had died during the battle.  

http://morloch.shadowbaneemulator.com/index.php/Confessor

• 510 posts
    August 16, 2016 10:02 AM PDT

Interesting Oldtimer - it sounds a lot like a EQ2 Fury...

• 172 posts
    August 25, 2016 3:39 PM PDT

My favorite class was the Captain from LOTRO.  It had good AoE buffs with its standard and could function well as an off tank.  I liked that the game had a class that was truly made to be an off tank.  Too many games make tank classes and then say... "you can use them as off tanks".

Never had a chance to play out an EQ1 enchanter.  I have a feeling that if I had, it would have been my favorite.  As I am writing this I am thinking about running P1999 tonight and making an enchanter.  :)

• 173 posts
    August 27, 2016 4:25 PM PDT

EQ2 Warden.

It was a versitile class.  I was melee spec'd (like any good warden :P) so I was usually able to get up close and personal during fights.  My heals were bot duration and relatively quick casting which allowed me to dish out a lot of healing and still giveming me the ability to avoid stuff if I had to.

Funny sotry:

He was made as a joke.  You see my main from the day i started was a HIE Conjie named Dracodo who had a great love of frog legs.  Every new froglok to the guild was greeted by the same DINNER welcome from me.  So one day I decide to make a healer.  Thought about it and decided on the warden cuase of it's melee type style.  Since all my alts are Draco(something) I thought about it for a min then my wife suggested a froglok as a joke, then I completed her joke with "HEY...Dracodinner" and thus how he came to be.

Oh man i soo loved playing the little bugger.  Played him for years.  Good times :)

This post was edited by Holdolin at August 27, 2016 4:26 PM PDT
    • 114 posts
    August 30, 2016 8:56 AM PDT

For me? Hands down, it is the Mage (Summoner) classes from EQ and EQ 2.

My husband adores the Enchanter class from EQ and the Coercer (Evil Enchanter) from EQ2.

Can you guess what we are playing in Pantheon? :)

• 25 posts
    September 19, 2016 3:56 PM PDT

I'm a quiet person really, but I love to "blow up things"  --- wizard and warlock (wizard more though) -- actually, I had all the mage classes, those two were my favorites though

• 12 posts
    September 21, 2016 5:31 PM PDT

EQ1 - ShadowKnight - I love heavy armored Dot and lifesteal based classes, the HT was icing on the cake. 

Warhammer - Warrior Priest - Loved the whole good melee damage, to funnel health into the party. 

Vanguard - Blood Priest - Was a interesting mix between a war priest and necromancer. Taking life and give life seemed really fun. I never was so spastic as playing this class because of the crazy mechanic. 

• 85 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:24 AM PDT

All time best: EQ1 Necromancer, because of versatility and playstyle.

Close second: WoW Hunter. The playstyle was pretty close to exactly right for me, and I loved being able to tame pets from the environment.

• 12 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:41 AM PDT

Kurgon999 said:

All time best: EQ1 Necromancer, because of versatility and playstyle.

Close second: WoW Hunter. The playstyle was pretty close to exactly right for me, and I loved being able to tame pets from the environment.

yeah necro was great because they were good with or without their pet. I actually loved the Beast Lord of EQ1, but I loved to pvp and at max level, the pet was useless. Thats usually the problem with most pet based classes, end game they never hold up.

• 85 posts
    September 24, 2016 11:50 AM PDT

I loved the WoW hunter for that reason. I did a bit of open world PvP and when a player got attacked by my pet, most would take a second or two to figure out that the pet wasn't just an add from the environment. By then it was too late for them.

I never played the EQ1 Beastmaster. I would love to see a Beastmaster-type in Pantheon, but I would hope and pray that they get the ability to tame pets from the wild.

This post was edited by Kurgon999 at September 24, 2016 11:50 AM PDT
    • 169 posts
    October 20, 2016 10:52 PM PDT

In Diablo 2..Sorceress..i know some do not consider it a real mmo but it was fun teleporting around wrecking people with fireballs and giant orbs of ice.

In eqoa i had 1 of every character, and by fav was my barbarian Warrior. Loved tanking as hero and defender....theres nothing like getting phone calls at 3 am saying "can you get on Noroxous is up and we need a tank". Miss my eqoa ppls.

• 11 posts
    October 27, 2016 12:10 PM PDT

Class: Cleric

Game: Vanguard

Correct me if i'm wrong but Each class was able to do a quest to branch their class into a subclass (affinity) defining the focus point you wanted (for cleric it was Purity, War, Death, Preservation, Peace).

I do not recall which affinity i chose but it was supremely beneficial to a group, i felt like my class actually mattered and was needed.

I was also very powerful solo. And even had my own crowd control system using an instant-cast, one-minute duration, no-break root spell. I was able to lure adds away from the group, root them, and keep them at bay, until we were ready to fight them. Not to mention all the amazing healing spells we had, the beautiful plate armor, and my 2-hand blunt mace that was taller than I was (halfling).

I had alot of fun times and I was always busy keeping the group alive. 

• 4 posts
    October 27, 2016 12:37 PM PDT

Game: Lord of the Rings Online

Class: Rune Keeper

I really love hybrid classes and for me, the runekeeper was the best ive ever played. 2 different types of dealing damage and also be able to be a full healer.

I really loved switching around with this class. And on top of that, the art of healing of the rune keeper was my most enjoyable experience in all mmos ive ever played. 

Normally i dont like to heal very much, but the runekeeper was fitting me perfectly, its a shame that the game died :( Quality of Lotro decreased massively since 2010/11

But i really would love to see a hybrid like the runekeeper in Pantheon :-) 

• 184 posts
    November 3, 2016 12:42 PM PDT

Megaera said:

In Diablo 2..Sorceress..i know some do not consider it a real mmo but it was fun teleporting around wrecking people with fireballs and giant orbs of ice.

I forgot about the Sorceress and her bag of tricks, she was one of my many favorites in Diablo 2. I mainly focused on Fire due to her abillity to teleport and lay down massive amounts of Fire walls to kill throngs of mobs at once... 

I do hope that Pantheon's Wizard class is innovative and brings some new and crazy ideas to the class... I love nothing more than taking a Class that is deemed to hard to play or not powerful enough, and then figuring out a way to make that Class a bad-mofo either through new strat's & tactics or min\maxing abilities...

Rint