Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

NPC Conversation Paths.

• 1303 posts
    June 7, 2016 8:29 AM PDT

I havent seen it report on this site yet, though VR did mention it on Facebook, but I just read the new MMORPG article here : http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1006/feature/10902/Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen-Feature-Spotlight-Perception-System.html

It was stated in the article that conversations with NPC's would be a multiple choice selection for player response and that conversations may/will have multiple mutually exclusive paths, and conversations are final and permanent.  Meaning that if you make a specific set of choices in that conversation you will have a different outcome than if you'd chosen another path. And you cannot go back and redo the conversation with that character again. Consequences may include different rewards for the dialogue path you have chosen than would otherwise have been. 

First, I'm not thrilled with a multiple choice dialogue. It feels pretty false to me. But ok, I can accept it. 

Second, I'm both intrigued an wary of the consequences of choosing a particular dialogue path. I really like that interaction with an NPC is meaningful, and that your responses matter. It helps avoid the WoW-like scenario of never even reading dialogue and instead just picking up a log full of quests. And I'm not opposed to having varried results depending on what is chosen. But I would be disappointed if those results were so widely varried that a simple miss-click could mean the difference between advancing forward toward a compelling reward and pissing off a bottleneck NPC and having the path wholly closed. 

• 801 posts
    June 7, 2016 8:48 AM PDT

Well there is two ways you can really look at it feyshtey.

1. Multi NPC's doing different quests, which also can feel like EQ POK zone that lagged the crap out of everyone, or you can place it on a few in a town scene.

2. Voice overs can be massive work and would cost the team a ton of operating cash to do. (i recommend it not being done until established)

We really at this point dont know what will happen or how it will look. I assume it will be pretty much the same as the past MMO experiences, and spoilers online will be created for everyone.

I am also ok with it.

I also loved the multi choice books :)

• 1468 posts
    June 7, 2016 9:14 AM PDT

I like the idea of multi path quests. Choosing an option that sounds right to you should result in a different quest item than if someone else chose a different option. Just because the rewards are different doesn't mean that one necessarily needs to be better than another. It could be that based on your answers you get an item that helps you role play your character in that specific instance so if you go for evil dialogue choices you will get an item that might have a spell effect or something that does something evil where as if you choose the quest dialogue that leads to a good item you get an item with a good spell effect rather than evil.

That all sounds very exciting to me and is something that I will look forward to and see how it progresses. Of course no one will really know how it will work until testing begins but for the time being it sounds like a really good idea. I hate the fact that most people don't read the dialogue text in modern MMOs it means that they have no idea what the lore is for the game and for me lore is a big part of the game. Finding out new things about the game world just excites me so much that the more emphasis that is placed on quests the better in my eyes.

• 207 posts
    June 7, 2016 9:15 AM PDT

If we had npcs with multiple chat trees I wonder how much it will affect our characters progress. I can see these type of trees affect our characters relationships with the different factions in the game but i'm a bit afraid of possible choosing the wrong tree and getting a reward that I have no use for. 

This post was edited by Grimix at June 7, 2016 11:04 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    June 7, 2016 9:16 AM PDT

I've been wondering how they were going to handle npc interaction. My first impression is that I like this. Reminds me of Baldur's, Icewind Dale and rpgs in that style. I love that your replies will carry some weight. Sounds like your answers can influence your faction. No more clicking through the quest dialog as quickly as possible just to get a new entry added to your quest log. I was always the one trying to read as the rest of my party sped through and started to move on. lol

So much potential with the perception system too. All kinds of opportunites to make it class and/or race specific. Sounds great to me! Can't wait

• 578 posts
    June 7, 2016 9:37 AM PDT

My question would be, how does this work in a group setting? If these quests possibly have multiple paths where players can wind up with different results how do you ensure that each player gets the same quest? Will the group members have to discuss with each other their selections to make sure they all have the same quest? Or will it be that only one person in the group can talk to the NPC to obtain the quest for everybody in the group?

• 180 posts
    June 7, 2016 10:53 AM PDT

This sounds neat and not as mind numbing as many quests in other games  But I am really excited about the perception system.

• 264 posts
    June 7, 2016 11:07 AM PDT

I read the article and I think it sounds pretty good. The perception thing is cool.

• 613 posts
    June 7, 2016 11:37 AM PDT

Malsirian said:

I've been wondering how they were going to handle npc interaction. My first impression is that I like this. Reminds me of Baldur's, Icewind Dale and rpgs in that style. I love that your replies will carry some weight. Sounds like your answers can influence your faction. No more clicking through the quest dialog as quickly as possible just to get a new entry added to your quest log. I was always the one trying to read as the rest of my party sped through and started to move on. lol

So much potential with the perception system too. All kinds of opportunites to make it class and/or race specific. Sounds great to me! Can't wait

Yeah this is going to be a bit differnt so I would need to try this to see if it is something I can get behind.  I do like th epath part of this.  Just have to "read" the options.  I know read them.  I know, oh the humanity! 

Looks great to me lets put it in the game and give it a shot!

Ox 

• 769 posts
    June 7, 2016 11:45 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

My question would be, how does this work in a group setting? If these quests possibly have multiple paths where players can wind up with different results how do you ensure that each player gets the same quest? Will the group members have to discuss with each other their selections to make sure they all have the same quest? Or will it be that only one person in the group can talk to the NPC to obtain the quest for everybody in the group?

I second this. I believe they attempted something like this in ESO - the difference being that in ESO, much like GW2, it was a hodgepodge of everyone running around basically taking care of themselves, group or no group, so it hardly was much of a detriment. In a game like Pantheon that is revolving around the idea of being group-centric, I see a possible issue. I'm curious to know what the workarounds for that might be.

• 112 posts
    June 7, 2016 2:29 PM PDT

i like the idea of a convo with an npc possibly leading to a different quest, reward...or maybe get nothing at all out of the npc if he doesnt like your tone.

• 264 posts
    June 7, 2016 2:52 PM PDT

In ESO somebody in the group doing quests was always on a different part and we could not see the NPC's and events that person was seeing, in spite of the fact that we were standing right beside them. I disliked this to the extreme because it happened a lot. I just hope we do not have situations like this arise due to the differing paths a quest can take you.

• 112 posts
    June 7, 2016 3:23 PM PDT

^ it doesnt have to be like that, i dont believe. 

3 people have a convo with the npc, all could be sent to the same area, just with a different task. one's convo could end with them having to kill the orc hunters in the forest around the orc keep. two's task might call for them to burn down the huts surrounding the keep, three could be tasked with killing the orc chieftan. all a different quest, all in the same area. (of course this is a basic example, im sure pantheon quests will be more involved than this.)

• 1778 posts
    June 7, 2016 5:01 PM PDT

I liked everything I read in the article. Im particularly interested in the class specific perceptions. Sounds fun!

• 151 posts
    June 7, 2016 6:07 PM PDT

Amsai said:

I liked everything I read in the article. Im particularly interested in the class specific perceptions. Sounds fun!

I agree. This has massive potential. Looking forward to this.

• 2419 posts
    June 7, 2016 6:29 PM PDT

Also the possibility exists, since it has not yet been discounted, that you could choose one path and complete it for some reward then go back and take another path to get a different reward.  Why would it necessarily stop you from exploring all the branches eventually?

In the end though we're talking about choices and their consequences.  This game will be filled to overflowing with them.  Better get used to the idea now.

• 264 posts
    June 7, 2016 6:48 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Also the possibility exists, since it has not yet been discounted, that you could choose one path and complete it for some reward then go back and take another path to get a different reward.  Why would it necessarily stop you from exploring all the branches eventually?

In the end though we're talking about choices and their consequences.  This game will be filled to overflowing with them.  Better get used to the idea now.

I love the choices with consequences thing Vandraad.

No more grouping up in a pug and everybody but me clicking through the dialog and never reading any of it, just to get through it to turn in what the NPC wants and blaze off in another frenzy to gather 10 more petrified Frost Giant Turds or what ever they want collected. (I think the rare pygmy snow Elf uses them to build little cabins or something?)

In this system the dialog will be meaningful if it carries consequences along with it, people will have to think for a second before choosing an answer.

• 578 posts
    June 7, 2016 10:08 PM PDT

Skycaster said:

In ESO somebody in the group doing quests was always on a different part and we could not see the NPC's and events that person was seeing, in spite of the fact that we were standing right beside them. I disliked this to the extreme because it happened a lot. I just hope we do not have situations like this arise due to the differing paths a quest can take you.

This was actually a bug they had to fix at launch. If 2 players were on different parts of the same quest they would not phase properly which resulted in the 2 players not being able to see the same thing nor would they be able to go back and help out a player who was not as far as them on the same quest line.

They eventually fixed this but yeah, it's actually something that has happened in a few MMOs. I want to say it happened in WoW in one of their xpacs just after WotLK. And then ESO. And possibly others.

• 578 posts
    June 7, 2016 10:12 PM PDT

werzul said:

^ it doesnt have to be like that, i dont believe. 

3 people have a convo with the npc, all could be sent to the same area, just with a different task. one's convo could end with them having to kill the orc hunters in the forest around the orc keep. two's task might call for them to burn down the huts surrounding the keep, three could be tasked with killing the orc chieftan. all a different quest, all in the same area. (of course this is a basic example, im sure pantheon quests will be more involved than this.)

But this is why we bring it up. To question what course of action they plan on taking so that we do not encounter those same problems.

I like this idea where players can have the same quest but different responsibilities. And this is just one way of many of how to handle this.

• 999 posts
    June 8, 2016 5:01 AM PDT
    I appreciate the link Feyshtey. I hadn't read that yet. I'm surprised that the article isn't generating more interest/discussion here. The proposed perception system is great innovation on "old school" mechanics. When I talk about wanting an EQesque feeling but improved upon - this system would be a perfect example.

Looking forward to seeing more about this system. I'm all for environmental/world cues that bring the world to life.
    • 671 posts
    June 8, 2016 5:40 AM PDT

Feyshtey said:

I havent seen it report on this site yet, though VR did mention it on Facebook, but I just read the new MMORPG article here : http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/1006/feature/10902/Pantheon-Rise-of-the-Fallen-Feature-Spotlight-Perception-System.html

It was stated in the article that conversations with NPC's would be a multiple choice selection for player response and that conversations may/will have multiple mutually exclusive paths, and conversations are final and permanent.  Meaning that if you make a specific set of choices in that conversation you will have a different outcome than if you'd chosen another path. And you cannot go back and redo the conversation with that character again. Consequences may include different rewards for the dialogue path you have chosen than would otherwise have been. 

First, I'm not thrilled with a multiple choice dialogue. It feels pretty false to me. But ok, I can accept it. 

Second, I'm both intrigued an wary of the consequences of choosing a particular dialogue path. I really like that interaction with an NPC is meaningful, and that your responses matter. It helps avoid the WoW-like scenario of never even reading dialogue and instead just picking up a log full of quests. And I'm not opposed to having varried results depending on what is chosen. But I would be disappointed if those results were so widely varried that a simple miss-click could mean the difference between advancing forward toward a compelling reward and pissing off a bottleneck NPC and having the path wholly closed. 

Yeah... the fear of not knowing the consequences of one's actions. <--- I like it..!

I will not have full controll of my Character's life... just the choices. The more fractured a quest, the more choices. Adds to depth and ultimately a dynamic quest system.

This post was edited by Hieromonk at June 8, 2016 5:42 AM PDT
    • 112 posts
    June 8, 2016 2:01 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

i got the sense from the last paragraphs that you had one shot at a converstion with the npc in order to get his quest, and that was it.

you might be right, maybe you can strike up another conversation in time - perhaps if he is a member of a faction you are working towards, the npc may be disposed to give you another chance/a greater task, after the first conversation, especially if you are highly ranked in said faction (i know this is getting a little quest hub-ish)

• 35 posts
    June 9, 2016 5:39 AM PDT

Grimix said:

If we had npcs with multiple chat trees I wonder how much it will affect our characters progress. I can see these type of trees affect our characters relationships with the different factions in the game but i'm a bit afraid of possible choosing the wrong tree and getting a reward that I have no use for. 

I seriously doubt VR will make NCP interraction so cryptic so as to trip you up. I'm sure there are lots of clues in the multiple dialogue options to point you in the right direction Grimex.

• 35 posts
    June 9, 2016 5:48 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. As far as I understand, If you speak to the NPC, and you choose a specific path if dialogue, you cannot go back and re-choose other options at a later point. It wouldn't make sense then to go back and be able to re-do the other choices at a later date in my opinion.

Consequences of choice means that you'll lose out on certain things, thus reading the dialogue and making the right choice for you is important.

• 1303 posts
    June 9, 2016 8:16 AM PDT

Joshue said:

Vandraad said:

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying. As far as I understand, If you speak to the NPC, and you choose a specific path if dialogue, you cannot go back and re-choose other options at a later point. It wouldn't make sense then to go back and be able to re-do the other choices at a later date in my opinion.

Consequences of choice means that you'll lose out on certain things, thus reading the dialogue and making the right choice for you is important.

That was my undertanding as well. Paths are mutually exclusive. If you choose a path, that's your path, and you are locked into any consequences associated with it. You dont get to go back and retry, whether you complete the questline or not. 

This post was edited by Feyshtey at June 9, 2016 8:17 AM PDT