Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

EQ lingo new words

• 39 posts
    June 1, 2016 2:12 AM PDT

In early EQ alot of terms, words, call them what you will were created or born in EQ and are still being used to this day on other MMO's lets see if any of you know any. =)

The populer term (NINJA LOOTER) first appeard on Veeshan server as my guild and I take down Lord Nagafen for a server first,as we sat their waiting for our leeder to decide who got what I notice a lil dwarf just run up and BAM nagy's corpse goes poof. In my mind I thought did that just realy happen ROFL then in GC cant remember who it was exactly said did we just get "Ninja Looted" thus the birth of the ever so populer term Ninja Looter..

I am sure their is a plethera of these words lets see who can remember any and their origins.....

This post was edited by Gorgok at June 1, 2016 2:20 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    June 1, 2016 3:04 AM PDT

Kailo said:

In early EQ alot of terms, words, call them what you will were created or born in EQ and are still being used to this day on other MMO's lets see if any of you know any. =)

The populer term (NINJA LOOTER) first appeard on Veeshan server as my guild and I take down Lord Nagafen for a server first,as we sat their waiting for our leeder to decide who got what I notice a lil dwarf just run up and BAM nagy's corpse goes poof. In my mind I thought did that just realy happen ROFL then in GC cant remember who it was exactly said did we just get "Ninja Looted" thus the birth of the ever so populer term Ninja Looter..

I am sure their is a plethera of these words lets see who can remember any and their origins.....

I don't know where it came from but my server people used to say "kk" instead of "ok". No idea why. I think I even did it myself. I mean its only marginally easier to type. I'm sure there were loads of things we used to say in EQ that became quite popular. I just can't remember any of them. Its been so long since I last played an MMO properly (my last proper MMO was Vanguard).

In fact I actually taught myself to touch type by playing EQ. It was a skill I was quite proud of being able to run around a zone while typing messages to my group. Ah those were the days before VoIP was a thing. Also raiding without VoIP and having to type out all the instructions to everyone. You got pretty fast at typing pretty quickly back then when playing EQ.

• 9115 posts
    June 1, 2016 3:05 AM PDT

Moved to Off-Topic as it does not relate to General Pantheon Discussion. Please be mindful of where you post new topics as it can be very confusing for community members and VR staff to find information when it is not posted correctly.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at June 1, 2016 5:29 PM PDT
    • 781 posts
    June 1, 2016 3:28 AM PDT

"aye" is another one :)

• 39 posts
    June 1, 2016 6:14 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

Moved to Off-Topic as it does not relate to General Pantheon Discussion. Please be mindful of where you post new topics as it can be very confusing for community member and VR staff to find information when it is not posted correctly.

I am sorry Kilsin it was early when I posted this was not thinking wont happen again...

Before I drink my coffie I have the IQ of a brick..

• 39 posts
    June 1, 2016 6:15 AM PDT

Kelem said:

"aye" is another one :)

Ahh yes yes "aye" I remember this one aswell..

• 769 posts
    June 1, 2016 6:30 AM PDT

Phat Lewts

RoXX0rz

noob

nub

newb

captain newbie of the newb brigade

Kiting

Quad-Kiting

DOT

DD

Tank

DPS

Clickie

Proc

Help me out here. There's tons more.

• 39 posts
    June 1, 2016 6:49 AM PDT

Tralyan said:

Phat Lewts

RoXX0rz

noob

nub

newb

Kiting

Quad-Kiting

DOT

DD

Tank

DPS

Clickie

Proc

LOL ROFL well said bro.....

• 781 posts
    June 1, 2016 7:53 AM PDT

Kailo said:

Tralyan said:

Phat Lewts

RoXX0rz

noob

nub

newb

Kiting

Quad-Kiting

DOT

DD

Tank

DPS

Clickie

Proc

LOL ROFL well said bro.....

LOL, well said bro :)

• 578 posts
    June 1, 2016 11:32 AM PDT

Just like 'kk' there was another simple common word where a letter was switched around. I might be wrong but I want to say it was the word 'the' and a lot of people spelled it 'teh' and I never saw it used like this anywhere before EQ.

• 769 posts
    June 1, 2016 11:41 AM PDT

We could go on forever here.

Pally

Rouge (Otherwise correctly known as Rogue)

Drood

"Camp"

Mez

CC

ninja looter (as someone already said)

KoS

Kill Stealer

Zerg

Gank

PK'er

Hell Level

Port

Farming

L33t

Best in Slot

Raid (Was this term coined by Vertan/SOE when they created these? Or was a term applied to these encounters by the players?)

Truly, EQ created its own language.

• 39 posts
    June 1, 2016 2:22 PM PDT

Tralyan said:

We could go on forever here.

Pally

Rouge (Otherwise correctly known as Rogue)

Drood

"Camp"

Mez

CC

ninja looter (as someone already said)

KoS

Kill Stealer

Zerg

Gank

PK'er

Hell Level

Port

Farming

L33t

Best in Slot

Raid (Was this term coined by Vertan/SOE when they created these? Or was a term applied to these encounters by the players?)

Truly, EQ created its own language.

It totaly did and alot of those terms are widely used in other MMos...

• 264 posts
    June 1, 2016 3:19 PM PDT

I remember "Epic Fail","Vendor Loot","Kill on sight", "Reverse Kiting", "AE Group", "Dragon Kill Points"(DKP),"Evak", "Puller", "off tank" "May I have a SOW please","Mind Candy","Aggro", "Wife Aggro","Buff","Debuff","Skele","XP", "NoOb","Nice Sac Man" (if you looted a spider venom sac for example), "Monk Droppings",  I think I could go on for a while longer, EQ Created a language for sure, Much of which is still used in all of Gaming.

This post was edited by Skycaster at June 1, 2016 3:20 PM PDT
    • 769 posts
    June 2, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

Ha! How could I forget "Wife Aggro"?

• 1778 posts
    June 2, 2016 12:35 PM PDT

Does Backwards Tanking work? (literally as it sounds as a measure against line of sight petrification from things like Basilisks)? Note sure if that was exclusive to XI.

Zombieing ? From EQs early death penalty style I doubt this was even possible? But not sure

• 40 posts
    June 2, 2016 10:38 PM PDT

"Bio break" (or, "afk, bio") and "train" come to mind.

• 151 posts
    November 8, 2016 10:34 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

Just like 'kk' there was another simple common word where a letter was switched around. I might be wrong but I want to say it was the word 'the' and a lot of people spelled it 'teh' and I never saw it used like this anywhere before EQ.

A bunch of folks on Veeshan used "maby" instead of maybe and "prolly" instead of probably. I had never heard those before either.

It might be that I was just exposed to common forms of speech from other areas of the country that I had never heard before.

• 363 posts
    November 8, 2016 2:15 PM PST

Don't forget...DING!!!

• 172 posts
    November 9, 2016 4:57 AM PST

Lets not forget..

Grind

• 2886 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:14 AM PST

Tralyan said:

Zerg

The term "Zerg" did not originate in EQ. It comes from the race of the same name in StarCraft, whose primary battle tactics revolve around overwhelming the enemy with very large quantities of creatures that are relatively weak on their own, but strong in numbers.

• 200 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:20 AM PST

Ping - for the AA DING ..which now occurs every few minutes

Pat - Pathing NPC inc.

At 1st there was wife agro, then DDO came out..and it turned into "storm giant agro" because the wife got cat butt face when you said wife agro over the mic...so Strom giant agro was safer and therefore used in every MMO since for me.

INC - Incoming!!

TRAIN INC - See Pantheon live stream for one of the newest variety.

Tag! ...nm....- usually paired with a "Soandso has fallen to the ground"

SOANDSO - Various EQ resource sites had this name there..and it is embarassing yet comical to reveal that for the longest time I was like "holy hell Soandso gets around and must be a good bard name"

WTF Pwned?! - Usually in response to a insta gib...during a split of a raid mob or just a really bad group split

DEEPS - used on slacking DPS characters

kite - not just your diamond in the sky anymore...

EB Item - for those Fishbone earring campers...

Insta clicky - Junk buff slots forever!

Junk Buffs! - always fun to throw this on that knight (usually a Paladin) who had to have their buffs ALWAYS in the right order and slot placement.

CC DOWN -  Grab yer ankles b/c in 5 seconds you're all dead.

MOAR DOTS -  STOP DOTS!

Port INC! - and you immediately zone before you can say WAIT WTFZOR I wasn't ready....and that porter you paid 50 plat to dropped grp and zoned back already before you could get that item out of the bank that had you wanting a port to begin with (or the porter was really smart and blocked the spell so they never zoned on dialup)

This post was edited by Warben at November 9, 2016 11:22 AM PST
    • 8 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:22 AM PST

Hepl

• 200 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:22 AM PST

HJEALS!!

Summon tanking

MT - Main Tank

RT  - Rampage Tank

CHEAL chain....or the forever immortalized CCH chain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5y_VpHp8o)

CR - Corpse Run

Consent! - usually the tell you got from a testy Rouge (see Rouge above) during a corpse recovery

This post was edited by Warben at November 9, 2016 11:28 AM PST
    • 2886 posts
    November 9, 2016 11:54 AM PST

NPC: non-player character

Toon: another word for "character" or "avatar"

Lvl: a lazy way of saying "level"

Main: your favorite/highest lvl toon and therefore the one you usually played

Alt: any toon you played that wasn't your main

Mob: enemy NPC

Adds: mobs that are accidentally aggro'd and join an existing fight, therefore causing panic to the party

At-lvl: a zone or mob that was more or less the same level as you

Twink: an alt toon covered in gear that had no minimum lvl, but had stats that were way better than anything they could have gotten on their own, therefore making them basically invincible to all at-lvl mobs thanks to a high lvl alt/main or friend that got it for them :)

I'm not sure how many of all these actually originated in Ultima Online, but who cares :P

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 9, 2016 12:16 PM PST