Forums » The Dire Lord

Harm Touch

• 88 posts
    May 26, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

I hope this SK skill transfers to Dire Lords. Although this game will be PvE soley, HT 'made' Shadow Knights in terms of their core.

• 109 posts
    August 13, 2016 1:51 PM PDT

There will be a PvP server as per Aradune himself.

Im sure DLs will get a HT type ability . To me, its a  semi class defining ability.  I know this because my ranger died to many HTs back in the day.

This post was edited by Greattaste at August 16, 2016 7:33 AM PDT
    • 4 posts
    August 29, 2016 1:22 PM PDT

I'd like to see a Harm Touch if the Dire Lord is going to be a Shadow Knight class.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to do class-specific quests to improve certain class skills, Harm Touch or Lay on Hands, etc.  I believe HT's damage in classic EQ was your level x 10 + 1.  So level one was 11 damage, level two was 21 damage, and so forth?  I'd like there to be certain quests for classes like Sol Temple, that could turn HT's damage from Level x 10 + 1 into a higher damage base, perhaps Level x 15 + 1 once you completed the quests.

This post was edited by Vetherian at August 29, 2016 1:24 PM PDT
    • 30 posts
    September 18, 2016 2:46 PM PDT

Vanguard's Dread Knights had "Word of Doom" and it was pretty powerful once you upgraded it, could one shot a lot of mobs with it (Damage was Intelligence based). I hope, it's an ability you have to gain by defeating or finding some old Dire Lord of past or some Dark fell entity that is terrorizing a village or something like that "Man, I'm getting excited about this class."

Can't wait to see what these guys have in store.

My question is to the developers, are you guys working on getting "AVAREM" back on the team, lol (He did pretty good by DKs in Vanguard).

• 8 posts
    November 5, 2016 4:51 PM PDT

I always love the idea of a Dark Knight/Shadow Knight/Dread Knight. For some reason they aren't ever as satisfying as i'd like. HT ability is really cool and i think its a great idea if implemented correctly. EQ's harmtouch was just too long a recycle. I think every 10 minutes would be fine. Monks mend gave back more HP than an SK would save from HT a mob, and theirs recycled in like 4 minutes...HT 1 game day! Talk about lopsided.

I think it should have more than just a burst damage clickie. Why not make it a large DD, and some sorta health regen stopping ability as well as reducing armor (i'm thinking along the lines of a decaying touch..hurts, continues to disease and rots your armor off)   This would at least give them an edge in a group.

• 121 posts
    November 6, 2016 1:42 AM PST

Totally agree, Tiburon. I think it's safe to assume VR has some interesting new things planned for the Dire Lord. Also, about the DK archetype only very rarely being satisfying - I agree, too. I think it has to do with the fact that they're commonly assigned a tank/lower damage role, when I think their archetype more naturally seems like it'd be higher damage. Dark, vicious blade energy and such. I think that fits with your critique of EQ's harm touch, too.

• 63 posts
    November 12, 2016 9:48 AM PST

Tiburon said:

I always love the idea of a Dark Knight/Shadow Knight/Dread Knight. For some reason they aren't ever as satisfying as i'd like. HT ability is really cool and i think its a great idea if implemented correctly. EQ's harmtouch was just too long a recycle. I think every 10 minutes would be fine. Monks mend gave back more HP than an SK would save from HT a mob, and theirs recycled in like 4 minutes...HT 1 game day! Talk about lopsided.

I think it should have more than just a burst damage clickie. Why not make it a large DD, and some sorta health regen stopping ability as well as reducing armor (i'm thinking along the lines of a decaying touch..hurts, continues to disease and rots your armor off)   This would at least give them an edge in a group.

I would tend to agree to this with some tweaking. Granted a 1 day cool down timer is a bit long 10 minutes is far too short. That would make it either very overpowered depending on the spike damage or it would just turn into a rotation when it was up. An hour or longer would be the minimum in my opinion. HT should be a last resort type of situation when you need snap agro on a bad pull or some kind of leech touch to give you a once in a day save if you make a mistake. 

Back in the day mainly on raids or named mobs i wouldnt even bother using it as the pool of hps was so large it wound up being less than 5 % of the mobs pool. If your going to bring in HT it should mean something when its fired. That means giving it a proper delay of some sort so you cant just spam it every ten minutes for extra dps.

Best thing about HT back in the day was the snap agro you got. It was a wizards nuke on a clean mob. Even after a mez you still had a 80% or higher threshold to work with so you didnt need to build very long before you could light it up. 

• 14 posts
    April 7, 2017 4:28 AM PDT

I loved Harm touch but in some cases it felt uber but in most cases it was "why bother". I always felt the HT should have been percentage life type of ability, especially if its on a long EQ type timer. If the damage is lower then the timer can be shorter, maybe even give Direlords two forms of it that you can choose or quest to get. You want the shorter timer but less dmg fine or do you want the im gonna hit a raid mob for a max of 5% of its life in one shot?

And before someone says just bring 20 dires to a raid and win, just put a debuff on the mob that it can only be HTed once then becomes imune to them for a certain amount of time, lets say 2 hours for the general idea. But a 5% kill shot would be awesome to use once every 24 hours. I think I would scale the lower version to be more damaging over time because of the multiple use during a raid.

Example:

Big nuke: raid mob= 1000000...maxed HT does 50k dmg once every 24 hours

Small nuke: 5k damage every 10 minutes...

So in this example in a 2 hour raid the small HT does more dmg over the life of the raid, but you dont see the awesome until you get to the big raid target. And the big nuke is only special against the biggest target since its still based on percentage of life, against smaller mobs it would be ok but it would not be meant for that. Granted this would all have to be scaled to the mobs, levels ect in game but that would be my general idea.

• 63 posts
    April 7, 2017 7:01 PM PDT

Or better yet make all raid bosses immune to HT if in fact its something we get as an ability.

• 113 posts
    April 9, 2017 7:55 AM PDT

I think making raid bosses immune to one of our class defining abilities would be bad.  I imagine it will be a big part of your strategy when main tanking a raid boss.

• 14 posts
    April 10, 2017 3:39 PM PDT

Filzin said:

I think making raid bosses immune to one of our class defining abilities would be bad.  I imagine it will be a big part of your strategy when main tanking a raid boss.

I agree wholeheartedly. A few mobs, especially those with lore implications that smooths it over, is fine. But all raid boss fights being immune starts leading to "this class cant tank the boss" conversations. Like paladin stuns that don't work on raid bosses.

• 63 posts
    April 12, 2017 10:09 PM PDT

Filzin said:

I dont think HT on a boss would make much of a diffrence in either case. If HT is part of your strat for beating a boss in the first place......you should find a new raid leader.

• 63 posts
    April 12, 2017 10:18 PM PDT

Benjones said:

Filzin said:

I agree wholeheartedly. A few mobs, especially those with lore implications that smooths it over, is fine. But all raid boss fights being immune starts leading to "this class cant tank the boss" conversations. Like paladin stuns that don't work on raid bosses.

Even going back to EQ several bosses were immune to stun and HT and other things. What Verant didnt do was block the agro for using these abilities. Thus the damage was blocked but the proc agro still would generate. No reason to say they couldnt do that with this game. 

We dont know if its even an ability Dire Lords will have. THat being said we can take that further and say we dont know what the limitations on it will be if we do have it. There were two times i used it for raids specificly. The first being if i was the off tank who was going to take the death kill hit. I would burn it for that because why not. The second was basicly using leechtouch during several encounters where the boss cast a raid wide AE dot. Helped heailers a tad as well as giving me the ability to off tank for a few seconds before i blew fd and droped agro back on the MT.

Its not a make or break spell of the class for me at least. I remember not using it more often than using it.

• 113 posts
    April 15, 2017 6:20 AM PDT

Dkeesling007 said:

Filzin said:

I dont think HT on a boss would make much of a diffrence in either case. If HT is part of your strat for beating a boss in the first place......you should find a new raid leader.

When main tanking. I was thinking more aggro related than as a killing blow, but thanks for straightening me out.

• 267 posts
    April 17, 2017 4:31 AM PDT

Looks like some people are going a bit over board with the HT/DT ability line.  Yes is an okay feature that they had in their arsenal, and i can see it be useful in most grp content but i believe it should have little impact on raid content.  Also we have to remember DL our a tank class and so we should be treated like one, so we shouldn't be seeing massive damage coming from our side of the table, just a lot of aggro so the ones that are doing more damage can do so if not catching aggro so they can continue to do so.  and the HT on a 1 day cycle was fine after a while it was used from time to time but normally when you wanted to use it, it was always up.

This post was edited by Riahuf22 at April 17, 2017 4:33 AM PDT
    • 267 posts
    April 17, 2017 12:10 PM PDT

Filzin said:

Dkeesling007 said:

Filzin said:

When main tanking. I was thinking more aggro related than as a killing blow, but thanks for straightening me out.

If your talking about Main tanking on raid bosses i believe this should be a warrior only responsibility, not trying to down the DL's capabilities but if you decide to be a Warrior and have no spells, and maybe just a few skills or disc compared to a knight's abilities of doing a whole lot more than one thing they shoud get is being able to tank raid bosses where as the knights should not.

• 8 posts
    April 17, 2017 9:57 PM PDT

If your talking about Main tanking on raid bosses i believe this should be a warrior only responsibility, not trying to down the DL's capabilities but if you decide to be a Warrior and have no spells, and maybe just a few skills or disc compared to a knight's abilities of doing a whole lot more than one thing they shoud get is being able to tank raid bosses where as the knights should not.

Highly disagree, encounters should/could be built with an optimal tank in mind, but I believe all should tank respectively well on major bosses. The warrior only MT scenario is poor on many fronts. I agree all tanks should have a niche to fill, but making it so only warriors can tank raid mobs is bad by design. Eventually this limits guilds accepting specific classes, skews loot rewards and penalizing people for class choices, limit class raid attendance...list goes on and on.

Just because warriors may not have some spells or utility the knight classes do, doesn't mean they can't make up for it in other ability related skills, that aren't "im the quintessential tank" and must be used in every encounter.

Also from above, HT is every 72mins in EQ so essentially 1 hour. @ level 60 HT does all of ~1300dmg. A regular KC drolvarg sentry has 5800hp, even with a 10 minute timer you aren't exploiting anything with it. If it's going to be a class defining skill, at least it should be one regularly usable...

If, its meant as a one time superpunch then at least make it count, and be completely unresistable. As stated above its worthless on raids as it doesn't scale, nor could you even use it as an agro retainer effectively as most bosses resist and don't accrue any agro from it.

This post was edited by Tiburon at April 17, 2017 9:59 PM PDT
    • 267 posts
    April 18, 2017 9:11 AM PDT

Tiburon said:

Highly disagree, encounters should/could be built with an optimal tank in mind, but I believe all should tank respectively well on major bosses. The warrior only MT scenario is poor on many fronts. I agree all tanks should have a niche to fill, but making it so only warriors can tank raid mobs is bad by design. Eventually this limits guilds accepting specific classes, skews loot rewards and penalizing people for class choices, limit class raid attendance...list goes on and on.

Just because warriors may not have some spells or utility the knight classes do, doesn't mean they can't make up for it in other ability related skills, that aren't "im the quintessential tank" and must be used in every encounter.

Also from above, HT is every 72mins in EQ so essentially 1 hour. @ level 60 HT does all of ~1300dmg. A regular KC drolvarg sentry has 5800hp, even with a 10 minute timer you aren't exploiting anything with it. If it's going to be a class defining skill, at least it should be one regularly usable...

If, its meant as a one time superpunch then at least make it count, and be completely unresistable. As stated above its worthless on raids as it doesn't scale, nor could you even use it as an agro retainer effectively as most bosses resist and don't accrue any agro from it.

You are a Hybrid between a Necro/Warrior so thinking you can do everything a warrior can do seems to be unfair to the ones who pick warriors and would eventually make them unexsistant if you dont give them something big since they cant use spells.  and plus like i said a HYBRID, you choose to become this and you will have plenty of strengths because f it but to think you can so something better than a pure class in simply unrealistic.  Also SK's were great at tanking mini raids bosses that hit hard but not so hard there taps along with a decent heal from healer they couldn't live thtough in fact there were the best at it even better than warriors because of there lifetaps, pallies were the best ramp tanks and believe be is was a great thing they were they were essential in a lot of ramp tanking fights becuase the way they could heal themselves to survive the hits and after a while they got the DA hammer which procced DA on them and cuase them to have invulability for a certain period of time which was a class defining item for them which made them even better than they were at ramp tanking than they alrdy were.  These for just a few instances where the knights out shined the warriors and believe me there are a ton more, and this was with Warriors being the only MT's and the SK's definately was a well over played class and warriors were still scraping across the bottom of the barrel.

This post was edited by Riahuf22 at April 21, 2017 8:46 AM PDT
    • 38 posts
    April 23, 2017 3:11 PM PDT

Perhaps I am not digesting the conversation correctly, or looking at it from the wrong angle.

In regards to Pantheon, while the "X encounter may prefer Y tank" is something at large until release, all tanks will be fairly equal in regards to overall ability. That is per Aradune. Please refer to my thread here that I am keeping up to date with relevant quotes from developers for more on that matter. But again, in terms of Pantheon I am sure just like most MMOs there will be encounters or tiers that perhaps favor the warrior, paladin, or dire lord because of a few abilities that just really shine under certain circumstances. If you're looking for the warrior to be a 10/10 tank and the knights coming in at 8/10 because of "other" abilities, then you're looking at the wrong game.