Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Guild Wars 2 - A VERY Good Game

• 668 posts
    May 20, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

So I loaded it back up and started over in the meantime...  What a FUN game!!  I had forgotten all the cool stuff you can do in this game and how good the graphics / water is.  If anything, I am very glad I reloaded this and brought up my old account.  I now have a level 16 rogue from last night.  Not something I can play for years, but a damn good way to pass the time!

Features worthy to mention:  Zone checklists (vista views, PoI, Event quest, Heroic Points) because I am partially OCD, Community Encounters (they pop up around the world and it flags anyone to come and help / join) really a neat design, Character Development (skill trees / Heroic points / Combo bonuses / Etc.), Good key bind options, like the interface

Lacking:  Still do not need to be social (can solo most things), Toons can do a lot on their own without need of others, Auction house is great but makes things too easy to upgrade, Not a LOT of dungeons versus overworld layout (equates to challenging locations), tradeskills is just another bleh duplication of many games, I am level 16 in a late evening of starting the game again.

In my mind, if I were to start Pantheon at the same time, I would hope to only be level 4 or 5 at best with the same effort.  I would probably have new friends right off the bat because I need them.  Some of the reason for lack in levels would be more of a wond ering where to go, would have encountered more deaths, and probably dove into a dungeon somewhere (because lower level dungeons would be available).  I just get the sense that Pantheon is much more of a committment that will take many months with friends to get fully involved or half way through it...

Glad I am playing GW2 in the meantime to pass the time though...  Have to admit, it is really fun but different than Pantheon will be!

• 55 posts
    May 22, 2016 3:14 PM PDT

GW2 had it's merits but overall not a great game IMO. You listed some of why I think so. The lack of need for others would be one but part of that is due to the awful class system without the holy trinity. The lack of class interdependence that a no trinity system has is what ruins an MMO from the start. If everyone can do everything (essentially all DPS classes with different forms of utility) then the group dynamic just becomes dull and repetitive. The dungeons in GW2 were awful. Nobody could hold aggro and no dedicated healer meant everyone was just on their own..dodging red circles and trying to DPS as much as you could before you eventually died and ran back to do more of the same. Just an awful experience. After doing that about 3 times I quit GW2. I did sort of enjoy the leveling up experience and the graphics and atmosphere but that was about it.

• 668 posts
    May 27, 2016 1:09 PM PDT

Yeah but I meant to pass the time!  Not a whole lot of games out there that you can play awhile.  I enjoy leveling up in this game and all the different things that take place in the PvE aspect.

It would be cool in Pantheon if the dynamic events occurred like they do in GW2 but not have a regular, every 5 to 10 minute timer.  Where it would actually be "special" to experience one and try and succeed with all the strangers or friends around that part of the world where it occurs.  Loot could range from decent to excellent depending on a little bit of luck.

Good thoughts!

This post was edited by Pyye at May 27, 2016 1:10 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    May 27, 2016 4:52 PM PDT

Pyye said:

Yeah but I meant to pass the time!  Not a whole lot of games out there that you can play awhile.  I enjoy leveling up in this game and all the different things that take place in the PvE aspect.

It would be cool in Pantheon if the dynamic events occurred like they do in GW2 but not have a regular, every 5 to 10 minute timer.  Where it would actually be "special" to experience one and try and succeed with all the strangers or friends around that part of the world where it occurs.  Loot could range from decent to excellent depending on a little bit of luck.

Good thoughts!

The problem with the dynamic events in GW2 that ruined them for me was it just turned into a zerg where everyone just jumped in and killed everything. There was no communication and I never saw anyone healing. People just jumped in and randomly started attacking.

That pretty much ruined that idea for me and was one of the many reasons I only spent a week or so playing GW2.