Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

How DOOM faked 3D

• 563 posts
    May 17, 2016 9:27 AM PDT

With the recent release of the new DOOM game there were a bunch of videos about it and the franchise being made on youtube. One that I found to be incredibly interesting is a video by "The Game Theorist" exploring how DOOM was not really 3D, and the incredible trickery ID software developed to make it apear to be xD.

I hope you all found this as interesting as I did :D

video link :)

• 39 posts
    May 17, 2016 12:16 PM PDT

Yes I remember when DirectX API came out John Carmack made a rant about how it would fail and was not a good idea. He wanted every company to have to hack drivers for everthing.

As history turned out he could not of been more wrong and directX has been great for hardware and software developers. Providing common grounds for multiple hardware configurations.

• 613 posts
    May 17, 2016 1:28 PM PDT

I remember this. There was a huge push to standardize drivers. This was pre Windows signature requirements.   As a systems guy the driver hack method was not optimal nor sustainable on a large scale.  We used to see it when new cards would pop up from time to time from smaller vendors.  That was a long time ago. 

Cool video though. How things have changed.

Ox

• 173 posts
    May 30, 2016 1:47 AM PDT

Good stuff.  I think we all realize it's not really 3-D.  Our monitors are exaclty 1 pixel deep.  It is this "magic" that is trully great to see though.  How we have delt with technological limitations over the years.  It's even cooler when  you know what is going on under the hood.  Ah, I remember my first day in Graphics programming when the instructor told us "all that you are about to learn is fake" to which we all were like what?!