Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pantheon App...

• 9115 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:13 AM PDT

If you could use an app to connect to Pantheon what would you like it to do and why? :)

• 124 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:32 AM PDT
    To be honest, I believe there to be no benefit to these types of programs. Have yet to see a real reason to artificially link these platforms. It seems a waste of time and resources that would be better spent with other aspects of improving the game in someway than fluff like this.

Not trying tone negative on this idea, just an open and honest opinion
    • 128 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:33 AM PDT

Very little reason to connect anything to a good MMO in my book.

If there are tasks that can be done in an App,.. that Task may be boring or annoying anyways.

One thing i would use tho: Something that connects guild chat and my phone. I would love to chat with my guild while being offline (train, work breaks ect.). I know you can just do a whatzapp group or Skype, whatever. Id love a way to do that without giving all of my guild my phone / skype / whatever info tho. I will do that for special people only.

• 724 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:38 AM PDT

What do you mean connect to Pantheon, play the game via mobile? I find it hard to imagine that being enjoyable (small view size for me also means worse immersion).

If the app functionality was limited to maybe viewing your character profile, or accessing your bank I could see it as somewhat useful, but then again, those are things that could probably be done better in a web application.

• 200 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:48 AM PDT

An app for Pantheon ... maybe for the guild chat. There are no other good reasons for me.

Greetings

• 563 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:53 AM PDT

Only thing I can think of is the ability to chat with guildies/friends using the games chat systems. There may be other things that make sense to see in an app as more info on the game and its systems are released but I think a chat feature would be great.

• 366 posts
    May 9, 2016 4:53 AM PDT

Nuemcy said: To be honest, I believe there to be no benefit to these types of programs. Have yet to see a real reason to artificially link these platforms. It seems a waste of time and resources that would be better spent with other aspects of improving the game in someway than fluff like this. Not trying tone negative on this idea, just an open and honest opinion

I agree. I have played WoW and it had an app and all I did was use it to chat in g-chat. That was probably the best app out of them all. EQN's was a waste of time, then again the game was never released. I D/L FFXIV's, used it once and didnt bother again. If I need to chat with my guild outside of the game I use my phone or VIOP apps.

• 9115 posts
    May 9, 2016 5:04 AM PDT

This is theoretical, so just bouncing ideas and thoughts around...

An App could be very useful for a game like Pantheon if you are unable to get to your computer for any reason (work, travel etc.) you could connect to the lore, guild chat, a guild notification system for spawns, raids, calendar events, character customization, inventory management, character management, sorting bank/chests, housing management, notifications for game outages/downtime/GM events/Announcements, achievements are just some of the uses an App can have for Pantheon.

This is a thread to discuss more, what would be useful, what would be helpful etc. without allowing full control or being able to play the game from you phone of course, an App is meant to compliment a game, not take anything away from it or do any of its core requirements for it.

So now that it has been explained in a little more detail, what uses could you think of that may suit having an App to connect to Pantheon?

• 2 posts
    May 9, 2016 5:11 AM PDT

Rather than just an app I'd love to see a few open APIs that anyone could use in their apps/websites :)

E.g. allowing the creation of a guild API key for use on a 3rd party site to give it access to a list of the members in the guild, or an account API key that allows more detailed information about your characters.

• 91 posts
    May 9, 2016 5:36 AM PDT

Well, i personal dont care about "mobile-apps" in any way. But what i would love to have, a way to connect to the chat (guild, friends, world), via IRC. Alot of ingamechats of games base on the IRC Protocol. So it would be hard, to make it accessable from outside, via a regular IRCClient. I remember, SOE tried to etablish this, with her own little chatprogram, but they failed.

• 769 posts
    May 9, 2016 6:02 AM PDT

I think it's a good idea.

Like most questions posed by the developers, it's hard to really give a concrete answer without knowing what mechanics will or won't be in-game. For example:

P99 has a few apps out there for trading. You're connected to Auction, and able to gauge prices. I think that's a pretty neat idea. However, it's less useful if Pantheon is going the Auction House route. Since we're not sure what direction Pantheon is going when it comes to trading, it's hard to say if this would be useable or not.

But yes, as others have said, sure. It would be nice to keep in touch with guild chat. Or heck, even with certain other in-game chats. Maybe looking for a group while sitting on the couch in /OOC before committing to logging into the game. Or as a way to read patch notes while you're on the toilet.

I like the idea.

-Tralyan

• 279 posts
    May 9, 2016 7:06 AM PDT

- in-game chat

- patch notes

- customizable alerts

- weekly rumors (exclusive but not like they couldn't be reposted).

things to make it easier on people who have to work

• 62 posts
    May 9, 2016 7:25 AM PDT

Perhaps the app can display multiple chat channels (LFG, combat, zone, group) so I can use my old iPads to declutter the UI by offloading all chat to them, leaving behind just the most important elements.

• 232 posts
    May 9, 2016 7:47 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

If you could use an app to connect to Pantheon what would you like it to do and why? :)

Chat:

* Being able to see your in-game friends list and send in-game message from mobile.  Good for letting friends know if youre late for raid or game session.
    * Guild chat

Character profile:

* Being able to view your character paperdoll, stats, AA's etc.
    * Tools to plan character advancement, if applicable.

Lore:

* General lore available for reading
    * Specific lore available based on your character progress and discoveries

Official Announcements:

* Server status and planned maintenance
    * Patch notes
    * Forum access

Security:

* Option to use app for account authentication

To quote the great Jean-Luc Picard, "Make it so, Number One".

• 428 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:11 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

One of the few things neverwinter did was you could actully craft from a webpage as long as you had the correct stuff in your bag.  You had to add the materials to your bag but if you were bored at work you could bang out several hunderd potions 

• 1778 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:40 AM PDT

Could be nice for some things. Liked Dekaden's list. I might also add just the ability to look at your personal character/gear page. 

• 74 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:41 AM PDT

The use of an app is probably going to stratify by age group. So I guess it really depends.

Older people would probably take a more functional view of the app while younger millenials would expect more social media aspects to grab attention. This all comes down to who is most attracted to the game in the first place.

This post was edited by Land at May 9, 2016 11:54 AM PDT
    • 769 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:43 AM PDT

Land said:

The use of an app is probably going to stratefy by age group. So I guess it really depends.

Older people would probably take a more functional view of the app while younger millenials would expect a more snapchat/social media aspect to grab attention. This all comes down to who is most attracted to the game in the first place.

#phatlewtz #nofilter #Placeholderallday #tank4life #ducklips

• 59 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:51 AM PDT

I've loved mobile apps to push thoughts during the day back to the game for after hours.  Connecting up to chat would be the main way to do that but a fun aspect of the app might help.  Certainly character sheet display for attribute or skill planning as you level. 

Another games scratch off app game made me open it. 

if stats of your character could be shown, it could act like a second screen while playing as well.  

• 238 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:52 AM PDT
    Like most have said already that past mmo apps normally have been very disappointing and could be sumerized as expensive advertisement that few used.
    Giving rewards because you force people to "like" somthing on Facebook or give a positive tweet always feels like bribery to me.
    Now if I had to design an app I would use it more for things like:
    Server status and population
    Calendar with in and out of game events like patches
    Reviewing patch notes
    Bug reporting features
    Know bugs and possible solutions
    An "in the works" area for things under development
    Pantheon mini games like EQs /gems
    Guild features like linking an in game guild calenders
    Character "other" stats like times dies, time played, total experience lost due to deaths.....

Dont make it an advertising platform or require Facebook to connect or other cheesy things.
    • 179 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:57 AM PDT

- Craft as long as items are in your bags or bank.

- Bank

- View character

- Guild & Friends list

- View caravan information

- Guild chat

- Minature games (could play with your friends).

- Diplomacy

- Fishing

- Offline/online questing (storyline).

Just some ideas to throw around.

• 384 posts
    May 9, 2016 8:57 AM PDT

Might be cool to be able to utilize an app in conjunction with pantheon *while* you're playing. Make that your speelbook view or the living codex.  You'd be able to flip through it off screen. If there ends up being some sort of player crafted maps your phone could act as your atlas. Maybe your inventory view could be there as well. All of this would still be available in game of course as well.

Being able to access guild chat when you're offline would be really nice too. 

• 103 posts
    May 9, 2016 9:47 AM PDT

Depends what you got in the game I guess. Ive used apps in games to chat, look up a detailed profile of my character, look up items, read up on lore/characters, etc. So I guess an all in one app that can do all that would be great. Oh and some AH interaction would be good as well, assuming an AH makes it into the game at all.

• 613 posts
    May 9, 2016 10:43 AM PDT

Chat : Specifically for guilds. It would help with raids and such

Official Announcements

Server Status

Links to the Pantheon webpage and forums.

I think simplicity will be the best route.   Security becomes a real problem with apps. I am hesitant on anything that can see my character profile. Account Authentication should stay in the realm of good old email.

Ox

• 30 posts
    May 9, 2016 10:50 AM PDT

I guess it could be cool for chatting, or doing a global ‘who’ to see who is online and what zones they are in. Maybe have a friends list that will alert you when a friend has come online.

It might also be cool to use it to view my in-game screenshots, and be able to share them via the app.

I wouldn’t want to see any gameplay features in the app though, like crafting and other tradeskills. I would rather keep those in-game.

Other than that, I can’t think of much use for one.

This post was edited by Kromiv at May 9, 2016 10:51 AM PDT