Forums » The Cleric

Clerics and Ressurrect

    • 47 posts
    August 25, 2016 8:52 AM PDT

    Clerics should have a raid rez spell, 30 second cast 10 minutes cool-down type of thing time but rezzes everyone AoE (for use after wipes)

    .. There, a much needed rez spell and cleric unique.

     

    Personally I dont think clerics should be the only class with a rez.  There are many other ways to make the cleric class special without making the game 'unfun'.. and losing your tank for 30 minutes because they forgot/refused to bind outside the dungeon is not fun.


    This post was edited by Defector at August 25, 2016 9:31 AM PDT
    • 324 posts
    August 25, 2016 1:24 PM PDT

    AoE rez sounds like a good spell to me. Either with cleric epics or people actually casting spells it took a while for the old 72 and 54 (was 54 right?) raids to rez everyone even with 5+ clerics. Later on with other classes being able to rez is still took a bit. The cast time seems fair too so that it isn't abused in combat. Maybe make it out of combat only and a minimum number of players in the raid group as well.

    I understand the point of a cooldown on a spell this powerful, but given the number of clerics your average raid has and the typical time between the resses, buffs, and re-attempt, it doesn't seem like it effects the spell's usage for a single cleric and definitely not multiple clerics. But, since it doesn't really effect it I have no problem with them tossing a cooldown on the spell to appease some people.

    • 75 posts
    August 25, 2016 5:45 PM PDT

    I'm not a cleric personally, however the AoE rez seems a bit OP.  Not that I think an ae rez can't be in the game, but it sounds more like a class defining ability to me...and it seems like it does to all of you also.  But we already know that the cleric's class defining ability is Pillar Shield, which basically sounds like the ultimate defense.  When they say that NO ENEMY CAN PASS, i take it to include bosses.  It kind of fits, when you consider that the cleric will likely be the only plate healer class, that their ultimate ability is an impenetrable wall.  With Pantheon being all about class interdependency, I could see some other class having the ae rez, if it is in the game.  If a cleric had it, combined with Pillar Shield, he would basically be a one man life preserver.  

     

    Now, a cleric throwing up Pillar Shield to give another class time to fire off their class defining spell and get the group back up?  That's class synergy!

     

    Edited because autocorrect... Isn't always correct...


    This post was edited by Irriaden at August 25, 2016 5:48 PM PDT
    • 112 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:07 PM PDT

    Yes I would have to agree AoE rez is a bit OP.

    Not really a fan of in/out of combat mechanics either.

    I played a cleric for quite some time in live and I have to say the click effect (96%, 10 second cast rez) of the epic weapon was about right.  It made it difficult but not impossible to use in combat (cause there was no in/out of combat mechanic) and was yet fast enough that a group of clerics could get a raid force back up in a decent amount of time.

    Even so rez was used to implement zerg tactics, so I can only imagine how easy zerg would be if it was AoE.

    I'm also not against allowing other healer classes have rez, but perhaps they should need to earn that via the progeny system?

    Now Pillar shield is interesting, but really doesn't feel like a cleric ability IMO.  Not sure how much actual use you would get out of it if your primary role is to keep your party alive. Would there be time to stop healing in a hard fight to even mess with it?

     

    My 2cp

    -Az

     

    • 75 posts
    August 25, 2016 6:25 PM PDT

    Now Pillar shield is interesting, but really doesn't feel like a cleric ability IMO.  Not sure how much actual use you would get out of it if your primary role is to keep your party alive. Would there be time to stop healing in a hard fight to even mess with it?

    Well, I think we would have to see it in action to really know the answer to this question.  There is also the post Brad made earlier tonight, you may not have gotten to read it yet, about having some spells that can be cast while moving at full speed, and also some that can be cast while moving slowly.  I think these will add a good bit of variety to the tactics used build just about every casting class.  So, you may very well be able to mess with that shield and still heal your group to a certain extent.  

    I also agreed with you about Pillar Shield itself not feeling like a cleric ability, until I reminded myself that Pantheon is putting its own spin on several races and classes.  I mean, look at the gnomes, for example!  If they can be reimagined like that, I can definitely see this change in clerics.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how they tweak the enchanter class, I really hope they haven't shown us everything in the live stream...in fact I'm really hoping that they picked the enc viewpoint because that is one of the last classes they are finishing, and there is some completely new game play!

    • 3 posts
    April 21, 2017 11:06 AM PDT

    I'm ok with all healing classes having the ability to rez or revive people but I'd like the cleric to maybe be able to rez during combat versus the other healers can only heal outside of combat.

    • 6 posts
    May 2, 2017 5:04 AM PDT

    Gracefulhealer said:

    Hm so I love my clerics. And I believe only clerics and crusader should get rez spells. Necro could via lore also get a rez spell.

     

    I do not want to see druids and shamans rezzing on top of what else their class brings to the table.

     

    Agree?

     

    I think if druids and shamans get a rez - then the excusivity of clerics would be a battle rez. (and no reagent, less mana, no cool down, etc)

    too few people play a cleric - they prefer the utility of a hybrid class, like a sham/dru.  giving a 0% rez at least gets the group xping again, instead of waiting for a CR - thats a utility spell and in line with the nature of the class.

     

     

    • 708 posts
    May 2, 2017 6:50 PM PDT

    Abusive said:

    Gracefulhealer said:

    Hm so I love my clerics. And I believe only clerics and crusader should get rez spells. Necro could via lore also get a rez spell.

     

    I do not want to see druids and shamans rezzing on top of what else their class brings to the table.

     

    Agree?

     

    I think if druids and shamans get a rez - then the excusivity of clerics would be a battle rez. (and no reagent, less mana, no cool down, etc)

    too few people play a cleric - they prefer the utility of a hybrid class, like a sham/dru.  giving a 0% rez at least gets the group xping again, instead of waiting for a CR - thats a utility spell and in line with the nature of the class.

    I hate to burst your bubble, but it has already been released in the various streams that all 3 priest classes will have the same rez abilities.

    • 1543 posts
    May 2, 2017 7:19 PM PDT

    Vandraad said:

    Abusive said:

    Gracefulhealer said:

    Hm so I love my clerics. And I believe only clerics and crusader should get rez spells. Necro could via lore also get a rez spell.

     

    I do not want to see druids and shamans rezzing on top of what else their class brings to the table.

     

    Agree?

     

    I think if druids and shamans get a rez - then the excusivity of clerics would be a battle rez. (and no reagent, less mana, no cool down, etc)

    too few people play a cleric - they prefer the utility of a hybrid class, like a sham/dru.  giving a 0% rez at least gets the group xping again, instead of waiting for a CR - thats a utility spell and in line with the nature of the class.

    I hate to burst your bubble, but it has already been released in the various streams that all 3 priest classes will have the same rez abilities.

    All three will have Rez, but not the same Rez. Each will have different benefits.

    • 708 posts
    May 3, 2017 6:59 PM PDT

    Beefcake said:

    Vandraad said:

    Abusive said:

    Gracefulhealer said:

    Hm so I love my clerics. And I believe only clerics and crusader should get rez spells. Necro could via lore also get a rez spell.

     

    I do not want to see druids and shamans rezzing on top of what else their class brings to the table.

     

    Agree?

     

    I think if druids and shamans get a rez - then the excusivity of clerics would be a battle rez. (and no reagent, less mana, no cool down, etc)

    too few people play a cleric - they prefer the utility of a hybrid class, like a sham/dru.  giving a 0% rez at least gets the group xping again, instead of waiting for a CR - thats a utility spell and in line with the nature of the class.

    I hate to burst your bubble, but it has already been released in the various streams that all 3 priest classes will have the same rez abilities.

    All three will have Rez, but not the same Rez. Each will have different benefits.

    Mostly correct, yes.  If the return of XP is part of the resurrection line, I guarantee you that will be exactly the same across the 3 priest classes for a spell of a given level. So if the lvl 20 rez spell returns 20% xp, it won't matter if it is a shaman, druid or cleric casting that spell, you will get 20% xp back.  In the end, that's the big one every cares about so it will be the same.

    What will differ are minor benefits and rez effects.  Cleric rezzes might enjoy a higher base return of HP, but no mana and no endurance.  Shaman might return lower HP but have a short-term slow-return HoT component, a bit of mana and some endurance.  Druid could be some other combination, even possibly returning some mana while the others do not.

    • 79 posts
    June 20, 2017 4:07 PM PDT

    Bringerz said: I like Vandraads take on the red aspect: "Pantheon (with a suspected level cap at release of 40) we could see something like this perhaps: ReconstitutionCLR/9 DRU/SHM/15 : Resurrect and restore 5% experience ReparationCLR/15 DRU/SHM/21 : Resurrect and restore 10% experience ReviveCLR/23 DRU/SHM/30 : Resurrect and restore 15% experience RenewalCLR/32 DRU/SHM/40 : Resurrect and restore 20% experience" I also likes the way VG handled healers.

    I'm really not for something like this... very distinctly its a balance issue.  You have a non-hybrid cleric, classicly with very weak offensive skills baring things like undead.  While the two Hybrids do a range of damage, utility and healing.

    In order to go down the path of passing all critical abilities to all "healing" classes means you turn them all into hybrids - do you start down the path of every "healing" class having the same range of abilities, or abilities themselves?  I say let them be what they are and break the problem down to the esentials of what you are trying to solve:

    1) xps recovery

    2) transport to location

    The above two are the primary function of ressurect.  Maybe XPS recovery isn't even a part of ressurection, but lets assume it is for purposes of defining ability.  Transport to location is the functional group need and to me doesn't require "divine" intervention for said purpose.  XPS gain is a semblance of restoring "life/experiences" back to the body which has classically been divine.

    Shaman and druids have been more community and nature - not divine hence why that break has normally been placed there across many games/stories. Clerics sacrifice offense, almost entirely, for defense and mitigation of damage for others.  Hence why they have some uniquely powered spells.

    Shaman's and Druids would really be more about the transport to location than the divine restoration.  Power largely coming from within themselves and not channeled through a more powerful being.

    All of this though is dependent on the world at hand and how each class is tied to their power.

    *shrug* (assuming you are playing within the classic definition of the roles)

     


    This post was edited by Dwyvyrn at June 20, 2017 4:12 PM PDT
    • 9 posts
    September 11, 2017 9:33 AM PDT

    Defector said:

    Clerics should have a raid rez spell, 30 second cast 10 minutes cool-down type of thing time but rezzes everyone AoE (for use after wipes)

    .. There, a much needed rez spell and cleric unique.

     

    Everyone said this while raiding during EQ...I hope it happens cause too much time is wasted rezzing 50 people. I'd even make it a 24 hour cooldown so with 4 clerics in the raid you have 4 wipes till you go back to the old school way.

    • 13 posts
    October 5, 2017 1:42 PM PDT

    if only clerics can rez then wouldn't we have the same situation as EQ, which later on Sony realised their mistake and made rez and such things as emergency heals available to the other healers, otherwise groups that want to go deep into dungeons will only have a cleric in their group just in case of a wipe if only clerics can rez, all healers should be able to rez at some point and rez close to equal amounts, healing should by different by play styles, I'm looking forward to learning all 3 classes that are classed as main healers, if the other two cant do the basics (to me rez is a basic), then everyone's who wants to heal is going choose a cleric. Vanguard had it right, different healing styles but all could rez if the poop hits the fan so the game can continue without spending hours looking for a cleric to come rez deep in a dungeon. we want this game to be fun for all , not segregating a single class to be able to do a basic function. or are we looking for the glory where you can save the day by being that cleric that spends hours doing a corpse run for 5k?

    • 298 posts
    October 10, 2017 12:37 PM PDT

    People keep bringing up rez as the reason why Clerics were sought after more than Druids/Shamans in EQ.  I question that train of thought.  I know it has been a long time and specifics tend to be forgotten.  Cheal was the reason why Clerics were considered superior.  Rez was an afterthought.

    So much so that, imho, Cheal was OP and should be avoided for any class in Pantheon.