Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

All-Time Favourite mount?

• 103 posts
    April 19, 2016 6:04 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your all-time favourite mount in any game that you have played to date and why? :)

Epona. Because its Epona!

lol, well you did say ANY game.

No favorite stands out although the most memorable one for me is (dramatic pause) Swift Brown Steed in WoW. Not because its particularly good or pretty, just I busted my ass farming Dreadmaul Ogres in Burning Steppes just to get it on my Night Elf :P

• 643 posts
    April 19, 2016 9:41 AM PDT

I greatly disliked the preponderance of over-the-top mounts that came into EQ.

It started out with simple horses.  They were understandable and rational and made sense in a fantasy world.

Then Drogmors which were weird but tolerable.  

Some of the tinker type contraptions like balloons were cool.

But, then things started getting whacky and it seemed like every other mount was trying to outdo the previous one and it just got absurd.

• 844 posts
    April 22, 2016 12:04 PM PDT

I really did enjoy all my Vanguard mounts.

This post was edited by zewtastic at April 22, 2016 12:10 PM PDT
    • 21 posts
    April 22, 2016 12:15 PM PDT

My favorite are the Chocobos in FFXIV but that really wouldn’t fit here…

I like horses and with many different colors/patterns/sizes. I like large cats, wolves, camels and magical steeds where it is appropriate. I like gryphons and small dragons for flying mounts.

One thing I like in XIV is the different barding I can put on my Chocobo companion. Visually makes it so you can display some armor on your bird that you only could have earned by completing some particular content. Barding and the Chocobo dyeing system gives us a variety of looks.

This post was edited by Yelta at April 22, 2016 12:17 PM PDT
    • 428 posts
    April 22, 2016 1:27 PM PDT

EQ2 flying carpet  :D

• 30 posts
    April 22, 2016 1:38 PM PDT

This is probably not going to be a popular opinion but my favorite mount is the Red Flying Cloud in wow.
    It is clean and simple, does not get in the way or cause additional collision problems when flying, and to me characters look pretty cool flying around on it. 

• 668 posts
    April 22, 2016 9:05 PM PDT

My favorite had to be earning the Sandstone Drake mount in Wow.  For those of you who also earned it, you know how hard / rare "earning" it actually was.  I made more gold selling the vial of sands (alchemy recipe that summons the drake) than any other time.

Basically to find this amazingly rare recipe, you had to be maxed out in the archeology skill.  Archeology, you had to work particular zones where dig site nodes appear.  As you work those dig sites, it reappears somewhere else in the world (And it is a large world).  You had to hope that the dig sites spawned in a zone called Uldum.  Only there could you hope to get a rare drop called a canopic jar.  So as you work the dig sites in Uldum, you most likely will have to build artifacts to uncover a common item.  You had to gain so many artifacts to complete this, then it respawns a new item, most likely a common item again.  Eventually, if lucky, you spawn a canopic jar, to which you have to work enough dig sites to complete the jar.  Keep in mind, only if you are lucky enough to spawn a dig site in Uldum.  Otherwise you work the world until you do.

Lastly, even when you complete a canopic jar, you had a 5 to 10% chance that a recipe "vial of sands" would be inside the jar.  Can tell you how devastating it was to keep opening an empty jar when it took soooo long to even discover one.  But when it did show, wow what a moment and What a fun thing to be flying around on.  You could also fly two people on it which made it special!! 

This post was edited by Pyye at April 22, 2016 9:12 PM PDT
    • 432 posts
    June 22, 2016 10:24 AM PDT
    Dragon turtle mount from world of warcraft
    #turtlesareawesome
    • 107 posts
    June 22, 2016 10:48 AM PDT

overall, the griffon from VG.

i think my 5 favorite mounts may have been the 3 quest ones and the 2 pegicorns, even if the shadowhound and evil pegacorn were a bit over the top on the 'evil' look and the my little pony a bit too sparkly.

however, they represented a rather lot of effort, which gives appreciation. the faction mounts had some really interesting skins and the wyvern with it's kind of herky jerky flying style were great, but rather easy to get ahold of.

i really liked the AV-21 in SWGs for a similar reason, although they could be sold, i knew i got the PP and crafted it. (that is, i value these because of the work i did, not because others see it and know the work i did.)

other than having long and painful (Akande was at least as hard for a group as 75% of the raid mobs were for raids) questlines i like simpler mounts: horses for land, griffons for air, since seeing 500 people running about on shadowhounds is a bit silly to be honest.

• 1778 posts
    June 22, 2016 11:00 AM PDT
    Speed boots.
    • 801 posts
    June 22, 2016 11:21 AM PDT

Kilsin said:

What is your all-time favourite mount in any game that you have played to date and why? :)

Glad you asked bro,

I have been happy to say EQ 1 had some good mounts added throughout the whole game process. You could purchase them, or quest them out. We had roboboar given to players after playing for so many years, to purchasing them from vendors. I rather enjoyed the horse. White one for my mage.

I really liked seeing some lion's, horses, but most of all i really enjoyed the different illusions we could have. They acted like mounts in itself, such as the floating ones.

Some made you move faster, some acted with additional stats.

One of the best features was adding mana regen while being mounted, as aposed to sitting. All mounts would have advantages.

If illusions you want? i hope to see many different mounts, small and large like the spider one in EQ. It was rather cool seeing when i returned from a break.

Edit = I totally forgotten about ARK, they have some really cool mounts too.

This post was edited by Crazzie at June 22, 2016 11:23 AM PDT
    • 7 posts
    June 23, 2016 1:47 AM PDT
    For me it was griffons from VG. Alle please make sametinget simular to the extremely long chainquests of obtaining unicorn /shadowhoud. Me and my Brother struggled for days, one of my best memories
    • 801 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:13 PM PDT

OK i just had the honors of seeing the best necro mount ever!!

This post was edited by Crazzie at June 27, 2016 3:14 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    June 27, 2016 3:27 PM PDT

That's pretty epic! lol :)

• 83 posts
    June 29, 2016 12:34 PM PDT

It would be interesting to see what the most sought after mount was in any game.   I would have to say the Ashes of Alar in WoW.  Great story behind it (the Make a Wish foundation fullfillment.)   Beautiful mount as well.

But there are tons of mounts around.  EQ2 had some great ones, so did WoW, FFXIV and others mentioned here in the thread.

Very hard to choose!

• 316 posts
    June 29, 2016 1:57 PM PDT
    Simpler the better! Dug the original, simple Orc wolves from WoW. Looked awesome to see a group of Orcs riding in on them, I liked the gait and rhythm of their body movement. I like the idea of one or maybe two options per race maximum, but always keeping them subtle. Still realistic. And makes sense to restrict based on race.
    • 3016 posts
    June 29, 2016 1:59 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Griffon in Vanguard :)

• 30 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:06 PM PDT

I have loved many different mounts and it's hard to name a favorite.  It would be great if there were certain species out in the wilds that we could train an animal husbandry/riding skill and then go pick that mount.  You could easily offset in game "cost" from direct buy to buying a bridle and tack (lasso/harnes...whatever) and should be able to go out into the world and capture any creature that would be flagged as a "rideable beast". You could have your selection of color, size, and SPECIES! You would then have to hand walk the creature back to a training center, where you would pay for lessons to learn to ride said beast. (Could also have really cool interaction/mini-game with the trainer as you learn to ride and get thrown off & damaged, bucked around, etc.) This could work for land, air, and SEA based mounts, with various cost expenditures based on the riding style and rarity of the beast. Of course, I'd like for there to be traditional horse mounts for a standard cost at most cities. 

Also you could have the "creature size" determine the number of players that could ride that mount.  I must say I REALLY enjoyed the 2 person mounts in AA and spent quite a bit of time exploring the world with friends in this fashion. 

Mounts could have bars that include hit points, strength and stamina. You could whip/spur a mount to give it a burst of speed, but this would tire your mount quickly (stamina). Once a mount reached 0 stamina it will slow to a trot and need to rest. You can give your horse special feed and water to help increase it's stamina and hit points (possibly speed). This food could be player made (GO GO CRAFTING!). Strength could be used in determining how much weight your mount can carry before being encumbered.  Mount speed could be based on the player skill (points invested) in the ability. Skill affects not only speed, but agility on the mount; a rider could be thrown (dismounted) from their mount if their skill is too low.  

Also of note would be saddle bags. They would have all of the constraints of normal bags, with the primary difference being that the mount would be using its own strength attribute to determine how much it can carry before being encumbered. Saddle bags would be able to hold more volume as well, and certain mounts would be able to carry more saddle bags.  Saddle bags could be magical drops or player crafted (GO GO CRAFTING!).

I also like the idea that when you dismount, the mount stands around and shimmies, but stays generally where you leave it (such as at a trough in a city, or by a tree near a dungeon). The mounts would generally be "out of phase", meaning they couldn't be attacked and items couldn't be stolen from them by other players (although that's an interesting concept in itself). Generally, the mounts remain and amble, but can be resummoned by the owner blowing a whistle that the mount is trained to respond to.  Could also be a key indicator into how crowded that dungeon is before you pop in....

A word on mounts in cities. I think that there should be a suppression tile within the cities that does two things. First, when a horse is in a city and on the roads, it would reduce it's speed to a "trot". This would be about equivalent to normal player run speed. Second, there would be suppression tiles within all of the buildings that would dismount any player attempting to ride a horse into a building (the horse won't enter. This would be for FRIENDLY cities only. I DO like the idea of enemy players being able to ride full force throughout the city (roads and buildings alike); knocking things over and wreaking havoc. That being said, if a player is friendly to a city and it is under attack (they are aggressed), they would be able to ride full tilt within the city to pursue (and slay) enemy players. The idea is just that generally speaking, people should be respectful while moving about a city center.

Ownership of mounts would also serve as a money sink, which I think game developers are always looking for a reasonable way to implement :P

So um.. favorite mount... errrr unicorn in VG.. .but I'd love to see a pegacorn one day :)

Also favorite is a two person mount 

• 119 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:10 PM PDT

my favorite has always been no mounts at all. why can't we just have a higher runspeed instead? sadly, i'm usually forced into using one. lotro mounts at least have no disadvantage, they just add a visual beneath you and increase your speed without changing how movement works. so that would be my favorite.

• 2752 posts
    May 9, 2017 2:41 PM PDT

I was a pretty big fan of the Chocobos in FFXIV, but mostly because you could customize them to almost any color you wanted as well as mix and match up a bunch of different bardings. I also really liked my cinder hawk and his particle effect of ashes. In general I am more of a fan of bipedal mounts than the quads. 

My hope is that when mounts come to Pantheon that they be both rare/expensive and have a ton of customization options in terms of bardings, colors, manes, facial/leg markings, whatever else they can think of appropriate to whatever kind(s) of mounts they put in. 

http://i.imgur.com/zd7p5j8.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/qyxcJpT.jpg

• 11 posts
    May 9, 2017 3:32 PM PDT

Would have to be Griffon from Vanguard...... Awesome quest w/ a awesome reward!!

• 4 posts
    May 9, 2017 5:41 PM PDT
    My plain old horse from EQ. It took a lot of time to save up to purchase. Other games made mounts way too easy.
    • 121 posts
    May 9, 2017 7:04 PM PDT

Griffon from Vanguard for me also.  Whenever your given an long challeging epic quest, the reward just feels so much sweeter.

• 578 posts
    May 9, 2017 9:49 PM PDT

My favorite mount was my bard shoes! ;D

But IF I had to pick a fav it would definitely be the Griffon from the Griffon quest line in VG. If you completed this questline when the level cap was 50 you were in a group of a select few because the quest was long, challenging, and fun. Especially completing it without being completely decked out in top of the line raid gear made it even more difficult.

Second favorite was my dirty bird mount from VG faction mounts. They were some type of cockatrice I can't remember but I believe the faction was in Makala? If Makala wasn't the gnome city then it was the gnome city over in that area...I think lol. I had a dark green one I think. lol man my memory is failing me right now.

• 510 posts
    May 9, 2017 10:20 PM PDT

That peacock colored griffon from EQ2..