Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Classic Everquest, play for free (Project1999)

• 21 posts
    April 14, 2016 7:40 PM PDT

This is probably repost but meh. 

I've been playing Project 1999 for a few years now on and off and can say its a good place to relieve those nostolgic events of classic EQ. Sure not everthing is 100% on target but its close! Right now they are on their final expansion, Velious. With generally a 1000+ people on during prime time, its a great way to pass some time while waiting for Pantheon updates and its free! They even have a PVP server.

The community is generally friendly/helpful, much grouping, and the raiding is fun. Sure it has its community issues but the devs are working their hardest to keep the game honest; remember, they are volunteering to run, troubleshoot, and host their EQ servers.

As a geek, I know too that some antivirus softwares will peg files from project 1999 but the files are harmless not viruses. You mainly have to shut off your antivirus or put in an exemption to the folder its in.

To get Titanium, you ether have to buy it from ebay, amazon, maybe steam? or torrent it from kickass torrents or another such place. Careful with the torrent sites, the files are usually legit (read the comments) but the website will flood you with tracking cookies and pop-ups and becareful of what you click on. I also suggest ether bitorrent or utorrent as your download software, but make sure you get them from their official sites.

Go here https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2651 on how to get started. I'm usually on Eddrick, but I'm not on too often these days.

This isn't to draw people away from Pantheon by all means. Some of the Pantheon staff even worked on this game initially. If you never played  EQ in its prime, you might want to try this out.

My characters:

• Eddrick (53 Cleric)
    • Draxx (45 Rogue)
    • Taruto (23 Chanter)
    • Bruenur (11 Paladin)
    • Sarabellum (EC Mule)

This post was edited by evogelion at April 15, 2016 11:19 AM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 15, 2016 5:55 AM PDT

I'd play on P1999 in a heart beat if I could find the discs for a reasonable price but when I looked on Amazon someone wanted $100 for them and I just didn't have the money at the time. I also found the client elsewhere but I became paranoid about viruses so I didn't install it.

• 21 posts
    April 15, 2016 8:41 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

I'd play on P1999 in a heart beat if I could find the discs for a reasonable price but when I looked on Amazon someone wanted $100 for them and I just didn't have the money at the time. I also found the client elsewhere but I became paranoid about viruses so I didn't install it.

This is what I did. I went onto one of the torrent sites and searched for EverQuest Titanium. A few popped open, but only two were seeding (two people who are willing to share the file). I checked out both downloads. Typically when there more than one comment or download and there is a virus, usually people will warn others. I didn't see any warning so I started the download of the torrent.  When I got the download finished, it contained a few ISO files (CD disc imiages). These represent the CD/DVD's used to install EQT phyiscally. Its simple to mount the ISO files and Windows pretends they are an actual CD (If you have windows 7 you may need an ISO mounting tool like daemon tools lite). However I went ahead and scanned these files for bugs before and after mounting the ISO's.  I went ahead and installed the game and then scanned the install location. It was fine.

I don't think you'll have any virus issue downloading the torrent, wade through the pop ups and trackers of the website to download it. I can't think of anyone hosting EQ Titanium for shared download would have ill will in mind anyways; its not like you're downloading World of Warcraft lol...

Only time my antivirus gave me a scare was installing modded files from the P1999 website. After researching this, I find out that simply the file has been cracked in order to play the P1999 server. Because of that, our antivirus thinks it might have a virus. It doesn't. Often an issue when dealing with modified or hacked programs. The game has been running for quite some time with a healthy amount of players, you do the math :)

If torrenting is still too crazy, maybe someone can share their iso's through a file share website or even google drive.

• 1468 posts
    April 15, 2016 8:46 AM PDT

evogelion said:

Cromulent said:

This is what I did. I went onto one of the torrent sites and searched for EverQuest Titanium. A few popped open, but only two were seeding (two people who are willing to share the file). I checked out both downloads. Typically when there more than one comment or download and there is a virus, usually people will warn others. I didn't see any warning so I started the download of the torrent.  When I got the download finished, it contained a few ISO files (CD disc imiages). These represent the CD/DVD's used to install EQT phyiscally. Its simple to mount the ISO files and Windows pretends they are an actual CD (If you have windows 7 you may need an ISO mounting tool like daemon tools lite). However I went ahead and scanned these files for bugs before and after mounting the ISO's.  I went ahead and installed the game and then scanned the install location. It was fine.

I don't think you'll have any virus issue downloading the torrent, wade through the pop ups and trackers of the website to download it. I can't think of anyone hosting EQ Titanium for shared download would have ill will in mind anyways; its not like you're downloading World of Warcraft lol...

Only time my antivirus gave me a scare was installing modded files from the P1999 website. After researching this, I find out that simply the file has been cracked in order to play the P1999 server. Because of that, our antivirus thinks it might have a virus. It doesn't. Often an issue when dealing with modified or hacked programs. The game has been running for quite some time with a healthy amount of players, you do the math :)

If torrenting is still too crazy, maybe someone can share their iso's through a file share website or even google drive.

Thanks for the response. A friendly source gave me access to where they got it from so I'm good to go :). Will probably try and play over the weekend. Excited now to try it out again. It has been years since I played EverQuest.

• 384 posts
    April 15, 2016 11:00 AM PDT

I played there for a just a little bit (I mean like off and on for a month or so) I liked it a lot but got busy with other stuff and was away for a while. I never really go to know anyone else there so I didn't feel any draw to go back either. The timing of your post is nice because I was just thinking about creating a thread for those of us currently playing there to share their character names if they wanted. I would love to spend some time re-exploring orignial EQ again with some future Pantheon players.

It's been so long for me (and my memory is so bad lol) it actually feels pretty unfamiliar. I'll start a new character as soon as I can (unfortunately, not this weekend because we've got company coming in) who will likely be named Malsirian :o

• 21 posts
    April 15, 2016 11:02 AM PDT

Cromulent said:

Thanks for the response. A friendly source gave me access to where they got it from so I'm good to go :). Will probably try and play over the weekend. Excited now to try it out again. It has been years since I played EverQuest.

Cool, I know a few others on here play P1999, maybe I can help you with some newbie gear unless you want to go full out experience. Let me know if you need anything getting started.

Malsirian said:

I played there for a just a little bit (I mean like off and on for a month or so) I liked it a lot but got busy with other stuff and was away for a while. I never really go to know anyone else there so I didn't feel any draw to go back either. The timing of your post is nice because I was just thinking about creating a thread for those of us currently playing there to share their character names if they wanted. I would love to spend some time re-exploring orignial EQ again with some future Pantheon players.

It's been so long for me (and my memory is so bad lol) it actually feels pretty unfamiliar. I'll start a new character as soon as I can (unfortunately, not this weekend because we've got company coming in) who will likely be named Malsirian :o

Yeah that would be cool. I'm on once in a while to buff newbies. Most of my friends disappeared after my six month break so I didn't really have a reason to log on till recently. Currently an officer in the guild "Kittens who say Meow" but I'm down for making our own guild. 

This post was edited by evogelion at April 15, 2016 11:08 AM PDT
    • 384 posts
    April 15, 2016 11:11 AM PDT

evogelion said:

Yeah that would be cool. I'm on once in a while to buff newbies. Most of my friends disappeared after my six month break so I didn't really have a reason to log on till recently. Currently an officer in the guild "Kittens who say Meow" but I'm down for making our own guild. 

That would be great!

• 21 posts
    April 15, 2016 11:16 AM PDT

I'll update my character list of characters in my original post. Hopefully one of the forum mods makes this thread a sticky for like minded individuals like with the Daybreak pay to play server.

If you got suggestions for a guild name for us Pantheon players, post it up and we can vote on whats best.

• 109 posts
    April 15, 2016 11:52 AM PDT

We had formed ~Pantheon Rising~  on p99 in early 2014, great bunch of people. After the kickstarter "crash" (for lack of a better word) and the drama that followed a lot of folks walked but I believe a pretty solid core may have stuck around, look em up.

• 131 posts
    April 15, 2016 12:46 PM PDT

We have a handful of folks gearing up to get some play time in on p1999 tonight!  Come one come all :)

We have been helping folks get set up today in the discord server chat, stop on by!

Discord server info:  

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2678/discord-server-voice-text-chat-for-pantheon

Note that this server is live for anyone who is following Pantheon to come meet the community, not just for folks interested in p1999

This post was edited by MINX at April 15, 2016 12:48 PM PDT
    • 21 posts
    April 15, 2016 12:52 PM PDT

MINX said:

We have a handful of folks gearing up to get some play time in on p1999 tonight!  Come one come all :)

We have been helping folks get set up today in the discord server chat, stop on by!

Discord server info:  

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/2678/discord-server-voice-text-chat-for-pantheon

Note that this server is live for anyone who is following Pantheon to come meet the community, not just for folks interested in p1999

Interesting. I'm on p99 right now as Edd, just idling as I get a raw lecture about accounting. I might try this voice chat thing but not while I'm in class.

• 131 posts
    April 15, 2016 1:06 PM PDT

evogelion said:

MINX said:

Discord server info:  

Interesting. I'm on p99 right now as Edd, just idling as I get a raw lecture about accounting. I might try this voice chat thing but not while I'm in class.

Fun Fact,

Discord has both voice and text chat options.  The text users far outnumber the voice chatters.  Though I'm hoping that for this evening we can get a good group in VC.

Hope to see you there!

• 131 posts
    April 15, 2016 2:24 PM PDT

Update:

Those of us who are going to hang in Everquest p1999 tonight....for the most part are creating toons that are starting in Faydwer.  Mostly Felwithe and Kelethin.  Recommend that new toons start there if you want to meet up easily!

Stay tuned, will edit this post if more info follows.

Hit us up in discord if you are planning to head in.

Cheers!

Edit: Update: For Eddrick :) My in game name, p1999 Scars of Velious server = Dominx

Edit: #overheardindiscord 

[5:39 PM] candarie: I assume that is still what happens in EC

[5:39 PM] MINX @ldydominx: HEY! What happens in EC stays in EC

This post was edited by MINX at April 15, 2016 2:40 PM PDT
    • 1468 posts
    April 15, 2016 3:56 PM PDT

My characters are a cleric and a rogue but the rogue is a halfling so I can't really get to you easily. The cleric is in Greater Faydark though.

Cleric is called Nizheal

Rogue is called Nizstab

• 180 posts
    April 15, 2016 6:34 PM PDT

I have a lower level warrior named Dithien.  Me and a few RL friends/family are playing 2-3 nights per week.  I'm level 7 right now and we will be around Crushbone for awhile.  Feel free to add me to your friend's list if you wanna group with us.

Edit.  Now level 11.

This post was edited by Thanakos at April 20, 2016 4:50 AM PDT
    • 163 posts
    April 19, 2016 10:41 AM PDT

This is really happening, and it has been a lot of fun! Come join us in the Discord and on P99!

• 769 posts
    April 19, 2016 12:50 PM PDT

This is great. I'm on P99 fairly often.

Paladin - Vaynard

Wizard - Firos

Rogue - Ketilron

All in the mid to high teens range. I'd love to join!

-Tralyan

• 47 posts
    April 19, 2016 5:46 PM PDT

Cromulent said:

Ditto. 

• 163 posts
    April 19, 2016 6:06 PM PDT

We have the titanium download available in the discord chatroom on a google drive. 

We have the new guild tag as of today! "Terminus Rising"

• 55 posts
    April 19, 2016 8:19 PM PDT

Just curious. If I still have my old EQ disks (yes, I think I actually still have them from 99) can I use those to play on here or do I need something else? I saw the reference to "Titanium" but I don't know what that is. I been playing some BDO trying to pass the time until Pantheon but the boring class system without holy-trinity leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, does this P1999 only have the original UI or the updated UI? I can't remember exactly when that changed (I think it was Luclin?).

• 220 posts
    April 19, 2016 8:39 PM PDT

Gadgets said:

We have the titanium download available in the discord chatroom on a google drive. 

We have the new guild tag as of today! "Terminus Rising"

This^ been looking for 6 years! lmao /hugs /hugs/hugs

This post was edited by Larr at April 19, 2016 8:41 PM PDT
    • 163 posts
    April 20, 2016 4:30 AM PDT

I don't know about the original EQ discs. I do know that they are often times very specific about saying "Titanium discs."

The UI is either availble as the original or as the velious updated one.

----

If you guys need any help jump into the discord server, it's easy to use and very helpful people in it. I had never used it before, but it can be accessed through your browser. There are pantheon and P99 specific chat groups.

• 106 posts
    April 20, 2016 3:43 PM PDT
    I'm on P99 using the same name you see here. Well, no last name since not high enough level yet. Will be online after midnight central time tonight to finish a CR in blackburrow. When bound in freeport it's quite the ordeal.
    • 839 posts
    April 21, 2016 2:21 PM PDT
    P99 server is great snap shot of the old days, its got the community feel and is a massive nostalgia hit. Don't have much time on my hands and almost only do at non US prime time being in Australia but have a level 20 Chanter named Hokanu in South Karana at the moment. Happy to help anyone out who I can so shoot me a tell and we can group up or I can provide a shot of crack at the very least lol, always forming good groups with good people since very early levels even at non prime time. P99 definitely worth the download, easily able to be acquired online as mentioned above
  • April 22, 2016 8:40 AM PDT

I logged in on one of p99 chars night before last and saw a few of you Terminus Rising folks running around north ro and west freeport.  I'll try to get online tonight and get a guild invite.  Who all can invite?