Forums » Crafting and Gathering

Crafting from Banked supplies

• 20 posts
    March 28, 2016 4:44 AM PDT

Simply put what I am trying to suggest here is a system I have seen before in a few other mmos. Yes I know this is a quality of life thing and likely wont be implemented, so at least here I am asking it in case it hasn't been asked before. The point is allowing me or others to place crafting supplies into the bank and use said supplies to create items in your inventory. The concept is to greatly maximize your inventory potential of your character so that you could additionally not have to run to the bank, take everything out of the bank required to manufacture the item or items, craft to your beady heart's content till you run out of supplies or just finish that one item and move on with your day with minimal needs to go back to the bank to put all the materials you pulled out to manufacture with back into the bank.

If this is something that many disagree with thats fine, I understand. I am just a person who was trained to be efficent in time management and space needs.

• 174 posts
    March 28, 2016 9:59 AM PDT

I don't support this idea.  It just feels like the first step in making things easier, which to me goes against the games tenets.  Most crafting areas have suppliers to buy basic crafting materials from, so carrying some stacks of particular crafting materials doesn't seem too onerous.  Besides who will buy my finely crafted bags of immensity if you can universally access your bank for your worldy possessions!

• 31 posts
    March 28, 2016 1:02 PM PDT

I also disagree with this and not because the won't buy big bags off of players loot drops you sell loot so you need inventory space regardless and all those drafting supplies take up space in the bank and so on. For me it makes crafting more of a time filler then a integral art of the game you see a place to work on your trade skill run up use it no matter where you are or supplies you have on you no I'd prefer if we actually have to put effort into crafting. I know it will be to make money but I'd prefer if it was first day formost a skill that helps advance your character enabling more ways to get gear or items bags, jewelry and so forth or a crafted item that allows players into new areas. Basically something worth your time and effort to do which most mmo's dont do. These game see time and effort so let's not make it not worth doing!  Oh please for gods sake place the banks in the same city as the crafting areas nothing is worse then having to run 30 min just to grab a hammer out of the bank. 

• 724 posts
    April 4, 2016 3:42 AM PDT

While I disagree with automagically using items in your bank for crafting, I really hope that crafting supplies will be located more reasonable than in EQ (looking at things from the progression server point of view). In later ages (PoK etc) you may have everything you need more together in one place, but early crafting in EQ can be somewhat annoying. For example blacksmithing in Freeport: You need ore, water and different molds. There's only one vendor who sells ore, in West Freeport. Water is sold by many general merchants, but there is none near the forge and ore vendor. Then you need molds. Some are available there in WFP, others can only be bought in East Freeport. Some others are hidden away (literally) on some obscure vendors around the city. So, for every bit of crafting you need to be prepared to run around quite a bit and find what you need first (thank god for websites like eqtraders). Some cities don't have basic resources at all, requiring you to travel to other cities (sharpening stones in Halas, anyone?). I'm not talking advanced stuff, but real basics...

Perhaps it was the fear of the original designers that the crafting system would be too easy otherwise, that people would level too quickly. But honestly, it just makes things inconvenient and annoying. I'm hoping for better vendor placement and provisions in Pantheon.

• 47 posts
    April 5, 2016 8:01 PM PDT

I didn't mind the mechanic in certain other games, but it fit there. I can't see it fitting in pantheon. IMO the crafting supplies should be in your bag. 

• 28 posts
    April 6, 2016 1:11 AM PDT

I wouldnt say make crafting from bank possible, but i would - for the sake of roleplay - suggest a Crafting Guild. Where there is a crafting storage that you can use for storing goods you need to craft and have access while being in the crafting guild.

As it was said before that there will be inventory carry limits and from my point of view ore is heavy - i would say this would also fit into the game as noone could run around with 500 or more ore when there is actually weight limit for characters

• 5 posts
    April 6, 2016 3:18 AM PDT

Very simply, if crafting materials are in your bank, it makes no sense for you to be able to utelise them unless you too are at the bank and choose to craft there.

• 34 posts
    April 9, 2016 11:50 AM PDT
    I would have to agree with the above posts in the fact that the devs are focusing on immersion. With that in mind, crafting from the bank is really a luxury that can't really be done irl. Think about it this way, if you have a bunch of wood in your shed but want to cut them up into planks in your garage, you couldn't just turn on you saw and... Voila!
    This is reminiscent of EQ where you would have to plan out your crafting as gathering the materials could become time consuming.
    Ultimately crafting from the bank is a luxury and could be seen as something nice but I think it would take away from the nostalgia and immersion of the game.
    • 106 posts
    April 11, 2016 11:47 PM PDT

Smart crafting/bank locations would alleviate the problems of having to traverse multiple zones to be able to craft.  So no to craft from bank.  I also like the idea of a crafting guild storage area where you don't have to have the items in your inventory but a personal storage locker in said guild when you are crafting.  Main thing have all crafting locations close to the bank.  (Unless it's a special station like in ESO where you make set items in a particular zone)

This post was edited by FierinaFuryfist at April 11, 2016 11:48 PM PDT
    • 112 posts
    May 10, 2016 9:18 AM PDT

Chimerical said:

I don't support this idea.  It just feels like the first step in making things easier, which to me goes against the games tenets.  Most crafting areas have suppliers to buy basic crafting materials from, so carrying some stacks of particular crafting materials doesn't seem too onerous.  Besides who will buy my finely crafted bags of immensity if you can universally access your bank for your worldy possessions!

I totally agree.

• 578 posts
    June 1, 2016 11:11 AM PDT

While crafting items from mats inside of your bank shouldn't exist, maybe having crafting storage nearby crafting stations could happen. In VG you could get special containers for your person that had HUGE capacity. So you would have your traditional 6 or whatever big bags and then you'd have a gigantic crafting bag that held even more items.

OR each crafting area could just have a storage chest for your crafting stuff so that way you didn't have to magically use items from a far away bank but you also didn't have to run back and forth very far to work with all of your materials.

• 671 posts
    June 2, 2016 7:47 AM PDT

IMO: I think a crafting cart, that you can carry along with you when crafting, or harvesting, etc. All kinds of carts.. w/ all different kinds of properties & capacities, etc.

• 112 posts
    June 2, 2016 11:55 AM PDT

Personnally  I never did like crafting while materials where in the bank..that is just being lazy, another shortcut to get to the end result faster. I say it must be on your person or transport ( like on a horse,cart or whatever if it exist in the game).

• 19 posts
    June 2, 2016 1:34 PM PDT

my only opinion on this is, if we can't use mats from bank, then give us lots of bag space

• 107 posts
    June 6, 2016 6:24 PM PDT

While I personally wouldn't prefer crafting from the bank, I would point out that convenient is not easy. I don't mind if they add convenience so much as I hope they don't make things easy. The idea of a bank is simply for convenience, unless they limit the total number of bank slots per bank and have players bid for them. "Congratulations! you won 4 bank slots at a rent of 25gold/day each" Each box can hold 1 ore. "Sorry you missed a payment, your stuff was sold at auction. You owe 99 gold 98 silver before you will be allowed to bid on a bank slot again.

• 99 posts
    June 9, 2016 12:11 AM PDT

Im pro crafting from bank if you want/need some lore to it add magical wormhole crafting bank slots that cost some money to use :).

While i understand it could break some ppls imagination of the fantasy dream world they imagine, other ppls will be bothered by all the micromanaging especially if there are tons of crafting mats.

It all depends on how crafting turns out to be how much bag space we will have, travel distances, speed, portal spells aviable and so on.

This post was edited by Ondark at June 9, 2016 12:15 AM PDT
    • 14 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:33 PM PDT

I agree that crafting with items that are not on your person seems illogical. I have played many games that had so many different types of material that if you carried what you needed to the station. You would either be weighed down by the weight or have your bags so full that you could not fit the final product in your bags. I believe a solution to this would be a material bag that grows with your skill. Training in crafting would not only give one the possibility to make better items, but also make them more efficiently. A max-level crafter should be able to make crafted items with less material as well as higher quality. The max-level crafter should have also trained on how to store and carry their items, making each item weigh less and stack higher. This would allow a master crafter to carry all the materials necessary while allowing them more space in their bag for adventuring and harvesting.

• 1785 posts
    June 20, 2018 5:58 PM PDT

My general preference would be that the inventory management associated with crafting never gets to the point where we feel the need to have a feature like this :)

There's two aspects to this:

First, an individual craft should be relatively special and require work to do.  A successful crafting "session" shouldn't involve me grinding out 30 daggers and 20 shields, but instead should result in me making maybe 5-7 different items, all with relatively unique properties.  Not only does this make the act of crafting itself more interesting and meaningful, it helps mitigate and prevent market flooding scenarios down the line.

Second, the material requirements for crafting an item should be specific and varied on the type of ingredients required, rather than the number.  If I can make a basic longbow with a single maple branch, then I really shouldn't need 5 maple branches to make an intermediate or superior longbow.  Instead, i should need a teak or birch branch in place of the maple.

• 259 posts
    June 21, 2018 5:26 AM PDT

I have to lean toward the not allowing crafting from banked materials. It doesn't seem very realistic in my opinion. However, I would love to see access to your bank or storage within easy reach of the crafting facilities as mentioned above. 

Sarim said:

While I disagree with automagically using items in your bank for crafting, I really hope that crafting supplies will be located more reasonable than in EQ (looking at things from the progression server point of view). In later ages (PoK etc) you may have everything you need more together in one place, but early crafting in EQ can be somewhat annoying. For example blacksmithing in Freeport: You need ore, water and different molds. There's only one vendor who sells ore, in West Freeport. Water is sold by many general merchants, but there is none near the forge and ore vendor. Then you need molds. Some are available there in WFP, others can only be bought in East Freeport. Some others are hidden away (literally) on some obscure vendors around the city. So, for every bit of crafting you need to be prepared to run around quite a bit and find what you need first (thank god for websites like eqtraders). Some cities don't have basic resources at all, requiring you to travel to other cities (sharpening stones in Halas, anyone?). I'm not talking advanced stuff, but real basics...

I have just recently had to make a run from Kaladim to AK ‘Anon at a very low level to purchase supplies. While this was exhilarating from the fear of death, it was still quite annoying. The crafting supplies should be a little easier to purchase. Keep it feeling authentic but take some of the hauling items around burden off our shoulders.

I have just recently had to make a run from Kaladim to AK ‘Anon at a very low level to purchase supplies. While this was exhilarating from the fear of death, it was still quite annoying. The crafting supplies should be a little easier to purchase. Keep it feeling authentic but take some of the hauling items around burden off our shoulders.

This post was edited by Shyin at June 21, 2018 5:27 AM PDT
    • 3852 posts
    June 22, 2018 12:50 PM PDT

I tend to like crafting with bank materials in other games, but I also agree it won't fit the ambiance we want here.

Having a bank branch near any major crafting area will be most helpful - even if the banks don't talk to eachother it is one trip to grab all the junk from an inconvenient branch and move it.

• 168 posts
    June 23, 2018 5:17 PM PDT

This is a bit of a "on the fence" issue for me that cannot in any way be separated from the auto-mail to bank subject and most importantly the weight encumberance that other games have implemented previously. Here is what I mean; I always roll a caster main and the races most apt (in previous games) always seemed to be the one with the least ability to carry any weight. So my main is either very encumberance gimped or I am FORCED to choose between that a lesser race/class combo for my class or just do not gather/craft on the weakling main. None of those are legitimate options in my opinion.

Having the ability to auto-mail stuff from your bags to your bank is a fix, something present in other MMO's. I lean away from liking or preferring that system. I would rather have traveling npc salesman regularily wander the beaten trails that can "mail" stuff for you to your bank. You can even put saddle him with a pack animal if it must seem more real (for those that incredibly overuse the word "immersion").

Onto the subject; I am also on the fence about the subject of crafting from mats in the bank. In other games it seemed "a fix" to a tacked on crafting system that was never designed from the ground up in the game, crafting seemed clunky and felt to be added during beta in those games. If some of the ideas posted in this threat such as higher crafting skills can yield smarter storage skills, then I lean away from auto-bank access of any sort. I also don't feel that a pocket NPC to be a runner (SWTOR type thing) is a proper answer either. Again, I could care less about other peoples immersion but I do care about being bag-space/encumberance gimped to the point that I cannot craft with my main of choice or am making runs to a bank every 10 kills because of said space limitations/encumberance.

Summery: There should be a system to accomodate material transfers so there is no race/class combo discrimination. This can be done in more than a few ways to make a system that everyone can get behind.

This post was edited by Dashed at June 23, 2018 5:19 PM PDT
    • 470 posts
    June 24, 2018 5:43 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

IMO: I think a crafting cart, that you can carry along with you when crafting, or harvesting, etc. All kinds of carts.. w/ all different kinds of properties & capacities, etc.

Funny enough Horizons, now called Istaria, did something similar to this. You had this little hover disc that followed you around in the harvest areas that you'd gather resources on and store it on that to move to the crafting station.

Alternatively I can only think of two other options off the top of my head. The seperate harvestable inventory that some games use, but I think the natives might burn me at the stake for suggesting that. The other is the crafting mats bag, which is kinda heavy and holds a lot of mats. So you could take it to the crafting station but it probably wouldn't be something you want to lug around the field of battle.

This post was edited by Kratuk at June 24, 2018 5:45 PM PDT
    • 643 posts
    June 25, 2018 8:11 AM PDT

Natakeu said:

Simply put what I am trying to suggest here is a system I have seen before in a few other mmos. Yes I know this is a quality of life thing and likely wont be implemented, so at least here I am asking it in case it hasn't been asked before. The point is allowing me or others to place crafting supplies into the bank and use said supplies to create items in your inventory. The concept is to greatly maximize your inventory potential of your character so that you could additionally not have to run to the bank, take everything out of the bank required to manufacture the item or items, craft to your beady heart's content till you run out of supplies or just finish that one item and move on with your day with minimal needs to go back to the bank to put all the materials you pulled out to manufacture with back into the bank.

If this is something that many disagree with thats fine, I understand. I am just a person who was trained to be efficent in time management and space needs.

This is another \make the game simple, and do everything for you idea.  These are often guised as quality of life requests but actually just dumb the game down (like autolootijng etc.)

• 26 posts
    June 26, 2018 1:59 PM PDT

As a crafting focused player myself, the calls against a QOL feature like this are kinda ridiculous.

If it breaks immersion to not have to reposition my hero in 3d space between the bank and the crafting station multiples times (literally zero gameplay) then it must break immersion to not have to walk your hero to a bathroom every few hours or eat several times a day. Tell me how it's more immersion breaking for me to focus on the actual crafting instead of logging in and out of a bunch of bank alts to move items around?

Hopefully, you're also against auto-equipping harvesting tools. Or against "bandolier"/"gear set" UI enhancements that make it easy to swap out your armor. You definitely want to click and drag every piece of gear every time instead of clicking one button and letting your imagination fill in the don/doff activities.

That said, I agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't need 1000 different mats, nor huge piles of mats to do crafting. If the mini-game is compelling, mats are rare (as they've stated is a desire), and results are valuable: we won't need banking alts and tons of bag space. Just like with the attunement system "infusing" resistances into gear instead of carrying multiple sets of resist gear, it seems like the devs are trying to make this a non-issue.

• 768 posts
    June 28, 2018 11:02 PM PDT

I disagree with crafting with resources in your shared bank or bank.

I agree with by some manner, you buy/win/quest your way to a dunkey or chart that allows you to hold the resources for you. This will slow down your travels (for example; not being able to use portals, flying mounts and general mountspeed would be decreased (since you're pulling a chart of have a heavy loaded dunkey with you)). However, it will allow players to walk in to a  village and set up shop and sell/craft things. 

I agree with inhouse boxes or containers that would hold/stash the resources for you untill you'ld need them. Since you're able to position the boxes where ever you want, you can place them near your craft stations and go from there. 

I agree with guildhalls having shared resource containers and depending on guildsettings it will allow members or visitors to use or withdraw such resources. That said, I disagree with crafting in guildhalls since it takes people of the streets. The public craft stations would no longer be visited or only for brief moments if they are questrelated and people would interact less with people that they do not know outside their guild. Looking at the style of this game, I'ld say keep all craft stations public to allow for optimal or maximum community interaction.