Forums » The Enchanter

What I loved (and didn't) about being an Enchanter

• 1253 posts
    August 19, 2019 10:09 PM PDT

I hope you are right.  That is a possibility that we see more alternative ruleset servers on release than has been talked about but I'm doubtful.

The "official" quotes we have gotten at this point suggest that we are most likely to get the standard PvP/rp servers on release and more alternative ruleset servers may be added post release.

Here is a quote from brad responding to a post I made about alternative ruleset servers a few years back:

...launch a game with a compelling world, plenty of content, people to group with and get to know, and then to experiment with 'variations on the theme', both at launch with the obvious themes (PvP, RP, etc.) and then post-launch to keep heading down that road, offering more and more variety and options.   Lastly, we hope that as the game evolves down this path that these Realm variations will not only help us dial in a game that feels more tailored for YOU but that it also brings in more people, new people, people who might not be looking as hard at Pantheon right now because we're focusing on PvE group content.  The goal is that after launch we offer both more variants

To be honest I don't expect us to get many extras on release considering the time development is taking.  If anything I expect us to be getting much less than what was advertised originally.

This post was edited by philo at August 19, 2019 10:15 PM PDT
    • 253 posts
    August 20, 2019 10:24 AM PDT

Well, in this case, ruleset servers aren't difficult to implement. This isn't really a massive content creation requiring development time by any means.

• 1253 posts
    August 20, 2019 11:28 AM PDT
    Ya, I think its more about them testing the waters, managing server populations etc before they offer to much variety of rulesets.

But I'm with you. If they were going to offer another ruleset besides the standard PvP/RP this should probably be the one.

Though another issue is then VR has to have the staffing to regulate the servers where boxing would not be allowed. I'm guessing VR doesn't have that kind of man power.

Also, at this point I don't think they can afford to stretch out the development time even a little.
    • 253 posts
    August 22, 2019 5:38 AM PDT

philo said:Though another issue is then VR has to have the staffing to regulate the servers where boxing would not be allowed. I'm guessing VR doesn't have that kind of man power

The processes wouldn't be dependent on much if any manpower and would be through a phased approach to eliminate the numbers by volume with a 97% or greater prevention or preventative outcome.

This is the public methodology as the private list is of course left private for obvious reasons. However, as said above and with regard to the link below, this is about dealing with volume, not an absolutist approach. The fear of losing a player's character/characters or accounts will be very real for any who decide to break the rules. That level of deterence works very well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17zFHaTHvWE3J5e7YRFt13zTnqS7uRgJ2oa_fCpdTrg8/edit?usp=sharing

• 1253 posts
    August 22, 2019 8:08 AM PDT

I don't see how that solves anything? VR still doesn't have the man power to regulate those type of servers. VR has always come from the stance of boxing being something that they are not going to try to regulate. I doubt that mindset changes enough that they decide to hire extra team members to police non-boxing servers on release. (Though I would definitely play on that server). Maybe the responses to the recent poll change that? It's wishful thinking.

There won't be a volunteer guide program like there was in EQ.  That has been discussed as an outdated system that comes with to much liability.  They can't afford to give volunteers that much power.  I'm hoping they can utilize volunteers in other ways even if they essentially can't do much.

This post was edited by philo at August 22, 2019 8:10 AM PDT
    • 253 posts
    August 26, 2019 4:07 PM PDT

The process I detailed wouldn't require extra manpower. The private form which is far more intrusive does however and that I haven't shared with them yet. Also, there's overwhelming disinterest and even disgust at the notion of the allowance of boxing as per the three posts in question on these forums to include a more recent one, the tweet asking for public feedback/response and the 3rd most heavily upvoted post in the history of Pantheon's subreddit. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/PantheonMMO/comments/a4mae5/multiboxing_is_antithetical_to_the_spirit_of_mmos/

It will have a very deleterious effect on the population and the players at large if it's allowed because of how unruly it becomes and how it allows for instances of buff bots making entire segments of classes like Druids and Shamans more useless. When you can bring a pocket Druid or Shaman for buffs and main a Cleric, you unfairly disenfranchise people who play those two classes as their mains. I gathered they're concerned about it for respective reasons but we're still a while out before they decide on server rulesets which includes types of PvE and PvP servers.

I gather you're the type who is likely to benefit from allowing boxing, if i'm wrong, I apologize, but you have to take this into consideration and at least entertain the idea and even prepare if they decide to officiate their policy with this in addition when they unveil their RoE. It's still new, so any positions are taken with a grain of salt, otherwise they wouldn't be fielding the public interest, the vast majority of whom seem to be vehemently against boxing.

"There won't be a volunteer guide program like there was in EQ."

The process wouldn't require a guide program. It would help, but it's not required as Phase 6 is fairly malleable.

• 1253 posts
    August 26, 2019 5:56 PM PDT

Are you understanding what I am presenting?  

I gather you're the type who is likely to benefit from allowing boxing

I've stated multiple times I would prefer to play on a no boxing server but have also presented multiple examples of why VR likely won't offer that on release.  Those are the statements we have received...straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

It's still new, so any positions are taken with a grain of salt, otherwise they wouldn't be fielding the public interest, the vast majority of whom seem to be vehemently against boxing.

This is not new.  This is a years old discussion.  You are just new to being active on the forum.  I even quoted a discussion in this thread that was years old that Brad responded to directly about ruleset servers. VR has made their stance on boxing clear.

Kilsin asks open ended questions to the community to pass the time.  You are putting to much weight on these forum questions.  

The private form which is far more intrusive does however and that I haven't shared with them yet.

Kilsin has stated many times that we are years past the point where they are accepting ideas for systems that could change the game.  We are in the balance/tweaking/testing/polishing stages.

I would love for them to have a server that doesn't allow boxing but you seem to not understand the current state of the game.  Don't get your hopes up that any new ideas presented at this point might come to fruition.  We have been told many times that would have had to have happened years ago.

VR has been telling us they are going to update the FAQ for a long time.  That being said, here is a quote on multiboxing:

10.4 Will multi-boxing be allowed in Pantheon?

Our reaction to multi-boxing is to try something first before we even entertain the idea of artificially restricting it. We want to make combat, especially mid and higher level combat, so tactically intense, with so much going on, so much to do, so much to counter, so many companions to keep alive and the timing of many abilities crucial, that multi-boxing is extremely difficult if not impossible and likely far inferior to having an actual real person in your group.

I would love for you to be right about no boxing servers, but if you are then we have been lied to...I'm not going to have that discussion here...

This post was edited by philo at August 26, 2019 8:10 PM PDT