Forums » Developer's Journal

Animations

• 235 posts
    March 20, 2019 12:37 PM PDT

Wandidar said:

Here's the thing about animations for me.  I want them to look cool, yes.  But more important to me is for them to be recognizable... whether it's one person casting, or one hundred.  That is, I want to be able to (if I take the time to learn) look at a casting player and say "Oh, that's a druid casting stinging swarm" - and - once the spells are launched, I want to be able to look at the entire collection of spell effects and know what's going on - without it ever becoming a visual nightmare that ends up with players saying "yeah, just turn off spell effects when you group or raid"

For me - the player cast, player attack animations, and the subsequent effects they spawn (like a frost bolt flying at its target after the cast completes) should all follow this same rule:  Make them look as cool as possible, but sacrifice cool for distinct and... ensure that a lot of things happening on the screen at once doesn't make everything unrecognizable simply because there is too much happening on the screen.

I've always wondered why animations like stinging swarm originated at the player's hands and flew out from there to the target. I think it'd be nice to see several waves of stinging (pixels lol) insects fly in toward the mob from all directions and surround it. Some spells make sense coming from the player, I suppose. Frostbolt might be one of them, or a fireball. Things like curses and whatnot, might be good to see a dark area materialize in the mob and grow larger as time goes on until it expires and disappears. Things like this would give a nice variety, make them easier to see (so 2 casters don't try to use the same, non-stacking spell) and just look great.

• 10 posts
    March 17, 2020 12:04 PM PDT

I preferred the original models and snimations in the original EQ before the new models came out along with the UI updates.  Swings had more weight to them, more character and personality.  Even after the update I kept most of the old models.  The only one I updated was I think it was human/skeleton so that I could cast my horse.  As an Troll SK I'd turn into a skeleton and then mount up.  Every time.  The new ones looked lifeless.  I can look past the placeholders and can't wait to see progress on animations.