Forums » The Monk

Weapons

• 8 posts
    March 10, 2017 5:04 PM PST

Iksar said:

Bazgrim said:

I think Monks should be the only class with actually very little gear appearance progression. Monks should prioritize practicality and have no concern for fashion or showing off their possessions. Minimalism is the key.

I would be thrilled and probably main monk if they did that. Doesn't even have to be minimal gear appearance progression, but plenty of different wraps, robes, and "Gi". Just less flashy and in your face.

I wouldn't mind this, as long as there is variety. Of course they shouldn't be nearly as flashy as say a bard and their appearance options should be simple (robes, gi, etc). But there is ONE thing I really hope they include as an appearance item - the beaded necklace. With the bigger beads. Kind of like the monk from Diable 3. Now I wonder how many (if any) necklace items will have appearances but I think it would be cool if the monk could get this...maybe a rare piece for late game? Something to represent their mastery?

• 8 posts
    March 10, 2017 5:13 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Iksar said:

I much prefer monk weapons only being the fists themselves, enhanced with various fistwraps. Maybe some 1hb or 2hb clubs/batons/staves.

I am not a fan of the modern monk "fist weapon" design present in most current games. I'm so sick of seeing every end game monk weapon be gaudy and/or ungainly. 

This stuff makes me sick:

WoW

FFXIV

Yuck. Just gross. 

Agreed. I'm just done with fist weapons and that's a big part of it. They're just completely uninteresting to me. Not to mention I can't imagine actually trying to punch someone with one of those things IRL. I really want to fall in love with the Monk class, but I haven't yet found a game that actually captures what it means to be a monk. Maybe it's because too many people find that style boring and want everything to be flashy like Bruce Lee?

I think Monks should be the only class with actually very little gear appearance progression. Monks should prioritize practicality and have no concern for fashion or showing off their possessions. Minimalism is the key.

Im ok with fist weapons as long as they are kept looking simple. WoW is well...WoW. They highly exaggerate all of the weapons in the game. And the other games (look at Asian MMOs) do the same thing..exaggerate the hell out of the armor and weapons. Im confident that VR won't implement that kind of design choice. Plus in those games, weapons are required for all classes because they don't have an unarmed combat system implemented. I would definitely prefer wraps over fist weapons, but if they HAVE to have a weapon then I would prefer fist/knuckle weapons. Clubs don't make much sense to me for a monk. Why would they use such a barbaric weapon? Staves are fine, but not ideal IMO. But the main point is that the monk's body is his weapon. And I hope VR carries that theme.

• 19 posts
    March 10, 2017 7:00 PM PST

As far as fighting animations go, I don't know if the current engine would support it, but I feel Blizzard did a decent job with the Diablo 3 monk animations by actually not having animations... The attacks were so "fast" they were assumed to be unperceivable to the player.  Diablo 3 Monk Gameplay  

I didn't care for the look of the monk, but the gameplay was certainly fun dashing from enemy to enemy or executing a flurry of blows that simply appeared to be a blur of fists and kicks; reflecting projectiles back at the attacker or channeling their Ki/chi to radiate area concussive force blast.

That + the playable races available to Monk would make my choice of classes easy, but I agree that in a class that doesn't really rely on cool armor, giant bladed weapons or massive damage spells, attack animations must be enticing :)

• 15 posts
    March 11, 2017 11:59 AM PST

Lokkan said:

Different fabrics and colors, I love the minimalist approach as well.  Maybe if anything a faint aura for truly high end items, or a trailing ribbon type-effect.  

Bulky and/or heavy items seem the complete opposite of what I'd expect from a monk - I like the idea that I have to respect some kind of weight limit for my monk in order for him to be able to function physically at his max ability.

Would it be possible to give a striking effect to attacks?  Seeing a warrior lumber through and land an average percent of their hits...  Then see a monk come along and you see a rapid succession of blows inflicted.

I immediately thought of the eq monk and remember my fists trailing the bubbles with my epic weapon and wearing a basic looking robe. Minimialist is what I would prefer with a few very subtle effects for the high end items/epic items. If 2 monks were standing /anon side by side the only way to tell who was the higher level monk should be by a subtle effect coming off a epic piece of gear (assuming same base item looks like both wearing a robe)

• 13 posts
    April 29, 2017 5:14 PM PDT

Bazgrim said:

Iksar said:

I much prefer monk weapons only being the fists themselves, enhanced with various fistwraps. Maybe some 1hb or 2hb clubs/batons/staves.

I am not a fan of the modern monk "fist weapon" design present in most current games. I'm so sick of seeing every end game monk weapon be gaudy and/or ungainly. 

This stuff makes me sick:

WoW

FFXIV

Yuck. Just gross. 

Agreed. I'm just done with fist weapons and that's a big part of it. They're just completely uninteresting to me. Not to mention I can't imagine actually trying to punch someone with one of those things IRL. I really want to fall in love with the Monk class, but I haven't yet found a game that actually captures what it means to be a monk. Maybe it's because too many people find that style boring and want everything to be flashy like Bruce Lee?

I agree with both of your feelings about the monk class.  I would like to see some benefit to using no weapon at all, personally.  I feel that the utility should be the fullfillment of playing the class, rather than the cosmetic appearances of gear.  I would certainly love cool looking gear, but that has always been an after thought. (I will always make an excpetion for the Rune Etched Bamboo Bo)

• 18 posts
    April 29, 2017 5:25 PM PDT

Sebkoril said:

I agree with both of your feelings about the monk class.  I would like to see some benefit to using no weapon at all, personally.  I feel that the utility should be the fullfillment of playing the class, rather than the cosmetic appearances of gear.  I would certainly love cool looking gear, but that has always been an after thought. (I will always make an excpetion for the Rune Etched Bamboo Bo)

OMG Where did you pull this picture from?  That's got to be nearly 10 years old.

• 57 posts
    April 30, 2017 6:56 PM PDT

I prefer to have the option to use weapons as a monk where your fists are not the most powerful weapon available. One of the main reasons for this is that if you don't equip any weapons then you suffer from scaling issues, you don't grow in power as other classes do through gear progression. One of the most powerful gear upgrades for melee dps characters in most mmo's has traditionally been weapon upgrades. Sure in EQ the damage of the monks fists scaled as they leveled and this was fine to me. The problem is once you reach maximum level your character is stuck in power level. Sure maybe there is some kind of epic quest to make your fists do more damage or something of that nature, but that is only a temporary solution, that would have to keep being added onto over time to stay relevant.

I also like the idea of a variety of different weapon types being available to the player so they can make a change in weapon types if the situation calls for it.

• 13 posts
    April 30, 2017 7:22 PM PDT

torveld said:

I prefer to have the option to use weapons as a monk where your fists are not the most powerful weapon available. One of the main reasons for this is that if you don't equip any weapons then you suffer from scaling issues, you don't grow in power as other classes do through gear progression. One of the most powerful gear upgrades for melee dps characters in most mmo's has traditionally been weapon upgrades. Sure in EQ the damage of the monks fists scaled as they leveled and this was fine to me. The problem is once you reach maximum level your character is stuck in power level. Sure maybe there is some kind of epic quest to make your fists do more damage or something of that nature, but that is only a temporary solution, that would have to keep being added onto over time to stay relevant.

I also like the idea of a variety of different weapon types being available to the player so they can make a change in weapon types if the situation calls for it.

I agree with your setiment, to a point.  I feel there is a cosmetic aspect within an MMORPG, or any fantasy storyline, to a monk not using weapons in combat.  In my opinion fist wraps or 2 handed weapons are probably the best compromises between maintaining a raw cosmetic feeling and allowing for gear scaling.

The problem with my line of thought is that it is short sighted and would leave monks with the short end of the stick when it comes to loot. 

• 481 posts
    April 30, 2017 11:06 PM PDT

torveld said:

Monks are the ultimate "My Body is the Ultimate Weapon" class, and i honestly hope they don't change it if anything I hope they embrace it by giving out maybe Class specific "Fistwraps" quest like they did in EQ but it was headbands instead.  how i can see maybe small waepons like spiked brass knuckles or something that sin't all to noticeable though, i dont want to see a monk weilding a H2H weapon and it looks like a huge blade or blunt weapon in front of there hand though like Diablo 3 did they looked like Warriors, or Rogues depending on what weapon you had.  i know maybe a lot people might not agree to this but they are in my eyes suppose to be a class that depends on there agility and dex to win in a fight and i dont see how that can happen all to well if you got something that looks like you got something in your hands that weigh 10 lbs a piece

• 1 posts
    September 30, 2017 12:57 PM PDT

One of the main things that drew me to monks in EQ1 was the fact that they DON'T use weapons.  That was just too cool and hadn't been done.  It still has yet to be repeated.  Many games don't use the unarmed damage because they need items in those slots for the stats anyway, so they just treat them like any other weapon in the game.  

A way to get the best of both worlds would be to have weapons that inherit their combat damage/delay from the base entity.  So fist wraps could give you the stats for those slots without changing your base damage.  

• 16 posts
    October 10, 2017 8:34 AM PDT

I would like to see monks able to use most 1h and 2h weapons outside of swords and daggers. The last thing I want to be is forced  down a certain path. I like the options of using clubs, pole arms, staves, even short spears. I might not be in the popular opinion, I just hate seeing a class forced into a certain weapon and look.