Forums » The Cleric

Ornate Robes or Shiny Plate?

• 1444 posts
    November 13, 2017 1:21 PM PST

Both Plate and Plate-cloth mix for me...which seems to be where they are going with "Armor: Heavy Plate Armor, Plate-Woven Raiment."

Love that they will carry big tomes with them too. 

• 19 posts
    November 15, 2017 12:35 PM PST

If it's a Tome vs a Shield.   Shield all day long.

Tome could hang from the waist while the Sheild is wielded.

Pull out the Tome to cast, lose the Sheild's benefit in the meantime.

• 69 posts
    November 16, 2017 6:01 AM PST

Iksar said:

Both Plate and Plate-cloth mix for me...which seems to be where they are going with "Armor: Heavy Plate Armor, Plate-Woven Raiment."

Love that they will carry big tomes with them too. 

Agreed! Plate-cloth is the best. I also agree with the big tomes. A lot of people seem to want a shield but I think the tome is one thing that really differentiates a cleric from a paladin. Paladins are the knights in shining armor with a shield and every well established religion really relies heavily on religous texts. As a highly religious figure the tome makes more sense. I just hope they use the tome to pray for heals and blessings while using  the flail/mace to smite their enemies with offensive spells.

• 9 posts
    November 23, 2017 1:38 PM PST
    I'm really happy with the general direction they seem to be going with the Cleric's armor. I have always missed having a healer armored to the teeth.
    • 20 posts
    January 4, 2018 4:54 AM PST

Think that Plate/Cloth mix is awesome look. I don't want to be in cloth with a tome or anything, feels to caster like. Clerics I want to have my shield and a mace with some plate looking like I can beat a mob down (though we really can't melee wise). 

• 290 posts
    January 6, 2018 2:39 PM PST

Plate for the win here !!!

• 82 posts
    January 12, 2018 7:45 AM PST

I kind of hope that players will have the option to "dress down" so to speak.  Like in DnD, if a piece of armor is not class specific, the stats are beneficial for you, and you can use/wear it, then do so.  i.e. A warrior may find a cloth headband designed for a monk that has better stats than their chain helmet... or a cleric may find a leather tunic designed for a druid that has better stats than their current armor... wear it.  With that being said, there needs to be class speicific gear too, as well as benefits/penalties for wearing armor types that you are not "proficient" with, but why say that someone that can heft around plate armor can't wear a bandana that increases Wisdom at the cost of lower defenses?

• 14 posts
    January 14, 2018 8:44 AM PST

I want a cleric whose rainment reflects 1) their own chosen role in the group/raid with 2) the OPTION of racially/culturally based gear that is either different stat-wise or look-wise. The latter (2) is more difficult decision because a) I dont want to see anyone  looking like me when I do decide what to look like ex. armr should be created with rare/very rare look/crafting mats to put it all together and (b) even nameplates can cause lag.

Some questions : do you want a game where you can solo mobs 20 levels lower than you or do you not? Will the zones scale with your lvl ? Will you be able to mentor lower levels?

Wouldn't it be nice if you were to see a cleric stroll into your group by chance and someone compliments that cleric for saving their butts and someone in group says, o , I have played with them before ( they recognized your rainment) even if they dont know your real or in-game name or that is also a reason why group would want you in their group or in the future ? Who wants 4-6 lvl 50 clerics to all look alike in your guild? One option is for example, to be able to recognize a cleric but who can also look different because of cultural/ rare /ultra rare gear to make them look more "successful" at creating/finding said items.

Computers these days (vs computers from 5 years ago for example)  have so much more processing power and servers have so much cheap space and memory isnt't really use the excuse (espcially if there are appropriate scaling options), o this takes so much time to create as a really does not, you chose the basic cultural clothing style and then do modifactions of such-this is where the limits/imagination of the artists comes in , the limit of the client computer and not the developer. The identity of the class/race will be that much more important the longer it takes to gear /lvl up the character with the emphasis on the gearing-up of course so you can get survive long enough to get to that next level. Having said that, when I played Everquest (both with "solo" class and "i need to join a group to gain exp" class ) I was more concerned with grouping/ staying alive because I got better gear along the way and not losing exp and getting to the next level was an enjoyable surprise ( ding ! ).... 

Speaking of ding !...I have played alot of mmo's of the years and people who have never played everquest say woot! ding !...and some people go ..???... but most know what it means. Some to this day also stopped playing everquest for one reason or the other but do remember before you got your follower in the later expansions to help you lvl at the lower levels how you were so happy if you were able to even solo one mob as a cleric or found a group to play with. Social skills to count.

I asked someone a question in a popular game the other day and asked them...if im going to play solo in a mmo, i might as well play a single player game and just turn on a chat room  in that game ( like you can with can play in wow but chat with people who are playing other blizzard games.) Point being if i wanted to solo, i wouldnt be playing an mmo . But that is just my opinion of course, I have met people who play solo only because they do not have time to group ( family / work obligations for example), constantly have to log on and off or they just simply have bad /low data throughput or bad internet connection /availability beyong their control /cost on their computer for whatever reason. The only time I want to solo in Pantheon as a cleric is when I'm crafting/picking up some quests, the question is will I be able to get to the next town/questing location alive solo?

So this begs a related question, and there have been comments in other forums of Pantheon and many other mmo' will (Pantheon in this case) serve both the cleric who does not have time to solo vs leveling in group. If its 10 times easier to level up as a cleric in a group, this will make it easier for the jerk cleric to get groups with good healing skills vs the (good personality) cleric who does not have time to group be punished because the cleric does not have time to group with friends and does not want to hold up the leveing of friends will force them to solo even more and maybe even leave the game even if the intent of the game was to explore and enjoy the leveing experience. Its a tough balancing act for both developer and the cleric to be sure.

I just hope that this doesnt turned out to be an updated everquest, because people did not play everquest because of the "better" graphics but because of its mechanics and challenge.

This post was edited by Brendiven at January 14, 2018 9:07 AM PST
    • 80 posts
    February 9, 2018 9:57 AM PST

So I read alot of the posts on this thread, as I also have played a cleric on many different MMOs.  Some were similar and stuck to the typical AD&D form of plate, shield, blunt weapon and undead hater type healer, some were more robed figured acolytes.  Both had their merit but for me the classic heavy plate disciple of heals is my truest love.  I totally get the asthetic look of plate mixxed with cloth looks being visually pleasing and something to mixx things up.  

Also this thread has evolved into the topical debate about shields and tomes.  On this I also liked some ideas and wanted to put forth something I was thinking would be kool.  We all know how in some games and I think this one may be like it, that fighter types have different stances, some bolster hate, some defense, and others DPS.  Each stance has its advantages and disadvantages but used for the right purpose, under the right circumstances, is of great benefit.  Now speculating based upon whats been said in streams, and how we will be needing to pay attention and switch up tactics on the fly, I can see having to swap from one stance to another, on the fly..  for instance, main tank goes down, off tank swaps to defaulted main tank stance (defensive) from off tank default (hate generation, or dps).  Likewise the off tank could go down and tertiary tank swaps from dps to hate to take over.

So, how does this effect the cleric?  Lets say you can have a shield equipped and a tome as well but only one is active depending on your healer stance.  Default healer stance would be (heals) and tome would be equipped and its boost to heals, mana pool, etc. would be active.... all the sudden you generate hate and are attacked, switch stance (defensive), shield is equipped, its benefits such as AC, HPs, +defense vs magic added.  Tome is stowed and its benefits removed.. When aggro is taken off, return to heals stance, shield and its benefits stowed, tome equipped and its benefits applied... when stowed the shield graphically could show on your back, tome stowed could be tucked in satchel on hip.

Anyways, this is my thought on it and think it would be really fun.

• 9 posts
    February 25, 2018 7:55 PM PST

Gotta say, it seems like the stereotype of Clerics being soft in the face with long flowing robes kinda got too big. I prefer play as a righteous Battle Cleric with a deadly mace, and heavy, shining plate metal that glows with holy sheen as I sling out the sick heals.