Forums » The Cleric

Ornate Robes or Shiny Plate?

• 3 posts
    March 28, 2016 8:32 PM PDT

Mikaela said:

I completely understand the need for plate, as they need the protection, but a cleric is a healer and healers should be wearing cloth. But for the sake of immersion, how the heck can you heal and aid the wounded clumping around in big armor?!

Magic from the gods!

• 16 posts
    April 1, 2016 1:18 PM PDT

Mikaela said:

...a cleric is a healer and healers should be wearing cloth...

Just curious, why?

• 1112 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:04 AM PDT

I like the idea of plate being mixed with cloth. I think plate/cloth combo's look very nice for a caster, especially one that the lore states may get right into the heat of things to heal allies/smack enemies :P

Just replace the 2H axe with a mace and shield.

This post was edited by Rachael at April 4, 2016 5:05 AM PDT
    • 30 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:46 PM PDT

Mikaela said:

I completely understand the need for plate, as they need the protection, but a cleric is a healer and healers should be wearing cloth. But for the sake of immersion, how the heck can you heal and aid the wounded clumping around in big armor?!

I would agree with you if we weren't using magic to heal. Dressing wounds and starting an IV in plate, yeah, I can agree, that would be silly. :)

• 501 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:18 PM PDT

Rachael said:

I like the idea of plate being mixed with cloth. I think plate/cloth combo's look very nice for a caster, especially one that the lore states may get right into the heat of things to heal allies/smack enemies :P

That looks really nice Rachael

• 19 posts
    April 5, 2016 6:35 AM PDT

Rachael said:

I am digging this and the miniature posted earlier in the thread. Very interested to see what the differences in the two kind of armor will be when translated into game mechanics.

• 79 posts
    April 11, 2016 9:08 PM PDT

xtnpd said:

Crusader might need to make a choice in specialization .. Like what it sounds like the cleric will need to do.  Perhaps the cleric goes heals or damage, and the crusader goes tank or heals?  We won't know until we get a little more information.

A damage-focused, plate-wearing, flail-wielding, bible-toting holy warrior? With utility heals to boot?  This is the class I didn't know I always wanted to play.  Where do I sign up?

Mikaela said:

Someone hasn't played enough D&D and EQ.

This post was edited by Gurt at April 11, 2016 9:19 PM PDT
    • 5 posts
    April 13, 2016 10:18 AM PDT

Mikaela said:

There is a huge difference between a Priest and a Cleric. The priest will be the one staying in the back wearing cloth and praying. The Cleric will be front row inspiring his army ans calling the god for protection. That's why the cleric need plate armor.

• 27 posts
    April 13, 2016 10:38 AM PDT

I always felt robes/woven was more intended for if i was going to be out solo'n, and the change of stats should more reflect a root/DD spell dmg set. And with the plate, it was more of a group dependent, heal aggro protection set with stats that reflect a different spell casting skill set. Usually wisdom has been the heal based stat line, with intelligence reflecting what offensive skill set a cleric has, which honestly shouldnt be that much anyways. Lets face it, clerics should be one of the most group dependant classes, but i do like to go out and harvest from time to time, and i need to protect myself too.

my .02

Heck after actually reading that, the exact same thing could be said if i switch plate for DD/root, and cloth for wisdom based heals. Go figure.

This post was edited by talger at April 13, 2016 10:41 AM PDT
    • 11 posts
    April 16, 2016 11:31 PM PDT

Kellie said:

Honestly I like a bit of both. Somthing like:
    (Right click + View image for larger view.)

This. 1000% this. Some custimization and pure cosmetic choices don't bother me though. 

• 280 posts
    April 18, 2016 3:00 PM PDT

I've played clerics since D&D through EQ up to, er, now and Plate Woven Raiment sounds perfect.  Full plate always struck me as more paladin than cleric, not that I didn't love my round shiney purple dorfess :)

• 8 posts
    May 17, 2016 2:34 PM PDT

I say full plate for obvious nostalgia reasons, however i would like to see apperance slot so that people can customize acordingly.

• 3 posts
    June 14, 2016 7:51 AM PDT

Torvak said:

I say full plate for obvious nostalgia reasons, however i would like to see apperance slot so that people can customize acordingly.

Apperance slots would be great. I like wearing plate under my cloth rags.

• 13 posts
    July 12, 2016 5:52 PM PDT

In EQ, Clerics only needed Plate before a certain patch in the Scars of Vallious.  We used to pull aggro like it was our job...then, we'd pray that the tank had his taunt up to save us from...oh, I'm dead again.  (It wasn't that bad, but it felt that way sometimes.)  Then, we got that amazing patch, which I think reduced our aggro by 1/3.  Afterward, I never pulled aggro from a tank ever again.  (To be clear, it was not every tank who lost threat to us only the bad ones....but afterwards, even the poor tanks could hold aggro from us easily.)

So, my point is, if healing is a 1:1 aggro generator for every point healed, we need to be in plate (or woven remnaint...); but if healing is scaled so that we're only 1:6 of the total threat generated in the party (two different comparisons), then we could wear sun tanning suits and be perfectly safe ;-)

• 352 posts
    July 12, 2016 8:48 PM PDT

I really LOVE plate - but once again I think it is due to EQ1.

• 270 posts
    August 3, 2016 3:19 PM PDT

I go for full plate also on a cleric.  The pictures that were posted by Kellie and Rachael are both good, though I do lean more towards Rachael's.  I want to be able to take a few hits after getting agro for  healing the crazy wizard who pulled it away from the tank.  A chain mail skirt or one with small plates sewn into it would also be a great option for female characters imo.  

• 2705 posts
    November 4, 2016 4:52 AM PDT

Bright, shining plate armor. No doubt whatsoever. There's something about the image of a strong cleric, covered head-to-toe in divinely glistening, silver armor that portrays a feeling of safety and hope.

• 79 posts
    December 5, 2016 12:16 AM PST

Medjai said:

Which do you prefer; cloth, robed cleric or the full plate cleric? 

Why?

I liked the look of plate in EQ1. Dark Elf Cleric is full Hate purple plate with GEBs, Epic, and a glowy off hand looked awesome ;p 

I am going Cleric. It's what I do. I love to keep people alive. 

Plate for sure. Make me a grape again with purple plate and i might hunt you down and beat you with it.

• 177 posts
    December 5, 2016 9:53 AM PST

Mikaela said:

I do think you are seeing plate armour in the wrong light here. It was not as heavy as some seem to believe and very mobile too. Here's a video for some demonstration of how mobile full plate armour can be [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc].

And I very much think both Cloth and Plate are both just as valid for the fantasy of the Cleric and with the whole specilization thing we might get the option to go for both of them.

• 168 posts
    January 13, 2017 2:20 PM PST

I prefer wearing as much AC as I possibly can.  But hate generating heals is a mechanic built in by dev's, which players tend to abuse .   If groups and raids only fight 2-3 mobs at a time, wearing robes is fine.  But most groups (especially in EQ) tend to pull 5+ and that usually means mobs will be beating on the healer.  I have died way too many times because of over zealous pullers to feel safe wearing cloth.  

• 143 posts
    February 23, 2017 11:13 PM PST

I remember in one of the dungeons in WoW, I believe it was a time traveling one, you see some Paladin from the past (Uther or Arthas, I forget which) that was wearing more like robes, but with chain mail bits and a few hard plate bits.

I like that idea for a Cleric rather than full plate.  Something that offers some protection but isn't a Warrior casting heals.  :)  Plate-woven Raiment sounds like that, to me.  As long as there's a cape/cloak compoent, I like that.  I've never really liked the look of "naked" plate armor, but I like plate as underlying something.  Like the way the tanky Jedi look in the Old Republic artwork (where they kind of look like they're wearing Stormtrooper armor, but they have a cloak over it - never played the game to be sure, but I liked that look as a kind of blend of "Jedi/Monk" with "Trooper/Soldier/Warrior".)

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird, though.  I like "naked" plate on Warriors, but even Crusaders/Paladins need a little bit more cloth/cape, I think.  :)

• 6 posts
    March 7, 2017 5:29 AM PST

I played a cleric in EQ live - i liked wearing plate.  Battle clerics should have plate.  Hospital clerics should wear robes.

• 11 posts
    August 1, 2017 3:29 AM PDT

Im more a plate person myself because I like the art of plate armor Far more. I will likely mix and match. Plate typically has more "physical' appearance to it to make it look cool whereas most cloth just has "what does it cover" and some embrodiery and colors.

• 60 posts
    August 1, 2017 7:11 PM PDT

Didn't they already say that clerics will be in plate?

And who said healers need to be in cloth? This isn't a real world sym... clerics don't dress bandages, they use magic to heal. Monk/warriors and other melee classes might bandage someone's wounds. But not a healer, they cast spells to heal wounds and cure diseases. 

I think they should be in plate, graphically I hope it's a plate/cloth combo as that looks nice and fits, you wouldnt need to be suited in head to tow armor class like a tank would.

Just like druids should be in Leather to better commune with nature.

• 19 posts
    November 13, 2017 11:31 AM PST

**Casts ressurrection on this thread**

If we're voting - I vote Plate!  Also, please let them carry a big big nasty shield.  Would prefer spell powered swords over hammers, but I know this may be asking too much!

An interesting thought:  A low-threat, low mobility, off-tank capability for the Shield Cleric would be a neat gameplay mechanic.  Perhaps a 'reckoning' type ability - for example - hits to the Cleric charge up a healing or damage pool that can in turn be dumped onto an unlucky target or used to self-heal the cleric or heal others.

I may be dreaming but I would officially be in heaven!!