Forums » The Monk

Innate Run Speed

• 873 posts
    February 7, 2017 12:05 PM PST

I think keeping base speeds between characters/classes is important. Sure you can argue a lot of things from lore perspective: ogres move faster than other races, gnomes move slower. Rogues are quick and sneaky, so they could also move faster. Tanks/clerics are covered in plate so they should move slower. Casters should have next to no endurance/sprint because they spent all their time in study. Do some classes have movement speed buffs? Yes, but they are shareable and "magic" in nature. The slippery slope is much more real when trying to argue these kinds of things.

If anything (and I don't think this is a good idea either) movement speed would be tied to carrying weight as a percentage of max. So a warrior carrying 50 lbs with a limit of 200 runs just as fast as a monk carrying 25 lbs of a 100 maximum. But this would be entirely unfair for casters. Being in peak physical condition doesn't necessarily make anyone faster (largely genetics), just able to run for longer distances. They have more endurance. And this is also assuming monks run all the time, I always saw them more training the body via movements (like the moves in various martial arts styles) and through meditation, not so much lifting weights and running marathons. 

• 123 posts
    April 14, 2017 3:41 PM PDT

Zeem said:

I think monks should have an innate run speed modifier that is based off their level.

What say you?

i say it's a bad (though my first thought was "stupid") idea. with FD (if they get it) they will be one of the most favored classes anyways.

• 5 posts
    July 2, 2017 6:46 AM PDT

I'm in favor of either an innate and scaling bonus or an activated sprint skill for monks. I always felt it would make sense for physical classes to have something similar to SOW but with different bonuses or limitations, eg, stamina drain but simultaneous skill and stamina pool increases. 

Base run speed will hopefully be much faster for all classes than it was in earlier games. 

• 6 posts
    July 11, 2017 5:56 PM PDT

I in no way want to Troll, but...

There is a reason so many want a higher run speed, because it's a massively overpowering un-fair power to have. 

This was the issue in everquest, classes that wanted every ones elses buffs or abilities got them through potions/aa's or just new abilities over years. Everytime you get something that makes someone elses buffs or abilities less valuable to your class, you make the class who it was stolen from less valuable as a whole in the game.

Should monks be a decent tank, a high/low DPSer, able to mend (heal) them self, outrun everything and FD without anyones help? Later get potions for haste, proc slows off weapons, potion heals... 

Again I'm not here to Troll or even tell anyone what the monk class should be, but in EQ there was a massive problem with monks tanking as good as Pallies/SK and DPSing near rogues/wizzies. In the early days I remember monks could be naked and still out tank most and dps higher than most. A lot of it was based on monks not feeling they needed to be able to take hits when pulling. 

These are just my thoughts. Devs can do whatever they like.