Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Toxic players

• 159 posts
    August 26, 2019 12:58 PM PDT

Lot of you write as if you have never been toxic yourself.. This is a two edge sword.  Only people I ignore are gold spammers. You'll always have the two extreme groups. Group one is the haters, always hating and screaming the sky is falling. The other extreme group are the fanboys,brown-noser's. I don't ignore these people. I find that "BAD" games make people toxic. Some people are able to pick up on it when a game starts to bring out the worse in them and they walk away from the game. While others are not able to do this. That is why I don't put people on ignore for being "human".  So what exactly do you define as toxic?

If a supporter holds your feet to the fire when you keep making mistakes. Are they toxic? Is this question just a way to manipulate people? What I defind as toxic might not be what you call toxic. A person that plays a monk for example that trains people and FD's regularly. That isn't toxic to be. That is a jerk to me. A person that gives both negative and positive feedback. They are not toxic. I have more respect for these people than I do for people that fall into one of the two extreme groups.

I don't believe in coincidence. Seems this is a old post from 2016 and after VR got a lot of backlash this month this post comes alive again. Hmm.

• 90 posts
    August 26, 2019 5:06 PM PDT

You're going to have to describe what a "Toxic gamer" is, in fact that term should just be removed the annals of gamming. THese days Toxic gamer is just used by people who dislike other peoples opinions, political beliefs, etc etc. If you don't fall in line you're a toxic gamer. You know what I think a toxic gamer is, somebody that accuses everything and everyone under the sun of Xism, Xphobia, Xist. THese people have ruined gaming in the last five years and taken all the fun out of it. They do their best to get other paying customers banned from games because they said words they don't like. This is the reall issue with gaming these days. Gaming never used to have this problem. People had disagreements and arguments and then moved on. 

If Pantheon is a place that is just going to monitor peoples wrong think then I don't want any part of it. Don't let ideoluges and their identity polics ruin what can be a great game. 

• 103 posts
    August 26, 2019 5:17 PM PDT
    I have allways been quick to /ignore toxic players and move right alone.
    • 429 posts
    August 26, 2019 7:47 PM PDT

Never ignored a soul in any game ! As for being toxic or not ? 

One persons trash is anothers Treasure . I simply treat all as equal P:)

Gold spammers are a whole other topic lol . 

Ps: Never have I been Toxic , I will help the underdog if unfairly treated . ( I leave people to their opinion ) !!!

This post was edited by Shea at August 26, 2019 7:57 PM PDT
    • 287 posts
    August 27, 2019 9:31 AM PDT

valhalla said:

It was in Karnor's Castle.  Zone was empty and a group from a guild with the worse reputation came in.  Did the usual train mobs to our camp then FD'd.  We just moved on else where.  Couple years later it was members from this guild LFG at zone in that would be skipped over.  Groups just wouldn't offer them a spot.  I still remember getting accepted into a Planes of Power era PUG and that's what they were discussing.  Actually their discussion was how this guild made guilds from their part of the world suffer in reputation also.

I've known a few guild leaders who had a physical binder with player names (and their alts when it was found) never to : Anything.  No grouping, no res's, no help with Corpse retrivial, quests ... nothing.

I know I would check my ignore list before sending an /tell inviting someone.

This is a pretty standard approach.  Exclude toxic players from as much as possible and spread the word to make it more effective.

Back in WoW I created a mod that managed shared exclusion lists.  You could create your own lists or subscribe to existing lists.  You could set a threshold for getting someone added to your list that required X players to add them before they were officially added and shared with list subscribers.  If you were running the mod it would warn you before inviting a player to a group or raid if they were on a list.  Optionally, you could have it silently abort the invite and even auto-ignore those players.  It could also notify you when you targeted a listed player.  It was extremely helpful in cleaning up the population and general mood on the server.

Then random cross-server grouping became a thing and ruined it...

It may seem a bit nanny-ish but I'd love for there to be something like this built in to Pantheon.  It would go a long way toward discouraging trollish or toxic behavior, and it's all optional for individual players to participate in.

• 59 posts
    August 30, 2019 9:05 PM PDT

Sunglare said:

You're going to have to describe what a "Toxic gamer" is, in fact that term should just be removed the annals of gamming. THese days Toxic gamer is just used by people who dislike other peoples opinions, political beliefs, etc etc. If you don't fall in line you're a toxic gamer. You know what I think a toxic gamer is, somebody that accuses everything and everyone under the sun of Xism, Xphobia, Xist. THese people have ruined gaming in the last five years and taken all the fun out of it. They do their best to get other paying customers banned from games because they said words they don't like. This is the reall issue with gaming these days. Gaming never used to have this problem. People had disagreements and arguments and then moved on. 

If Pantheon is a place that is just going to monitor peoples wrong think then I don't want any part of it. Don't let ideoluges and their identity polics ruin what can be a great game. 

I totally agree with this. I was thinking along the same lines, but this says it better than I was going to. You actually see some of this on these forums from time to time sadly, and it is a shame.

• 264 posts
    August 31, 2019 10:28 AM PDT

I have played World of Warcraft and ArcheAge. So I have encountered plenty of "toxic" players. The key in some of these games is to adapt to the community and become "toxic" yourself (I hate that word, often misused/overused). I just have fun with it! But I do have lines I don't cross: 1)no RL death threats 2) no hacking/cheating. And if the other party crosses line 2 I report em.

• 839 posts
    September 1, 2019 1:03 AM PDT

Sunglare said:

I'm pretty sure someone reporting someone for being xist isn't the real issue with gaming these days, unless the person being reported is someone who is constantly being reported, then I can see it being an issue for them, but maybe at that point taking a good look inwards instead of outwards is a good idea.

My definition is pretty simple, Toxic Gamers have intent to cause harm /suffering  and are only toxic if they do this outside the roles/code of conduct in place by the games creator. Someone being toxic in one game may well not be considered toxic in another because they have different codes of conduct and thresholds for "bad behavior"

Re: your example... absolutely, reporting someone else for false reasons again and again to get someone banned for false reasons is definitely toxic behaviour. However reporting someone for breaching a games code of conduct is not toxic in my opinion, so you might need to define which one of those you meant with your example.

The other thing to consider is the team responsible for handling complaints are the ones who decide if someone gets banned, so you would assume / hope unfounded complaints generally have no action taken without proof.

Good discussion, lots of interesting opinions!

• 59 posts
    September 2, 2019 2:33 PM PDT

Hokanu said:

Sunglare said:

I'm pretty sure someone reporting someone for being xist isn't the real issue with gaming these days, unless the person being reported is someone who is constantly being reported, then I can see it being an issue for them, but maybe at that point taking a good look inwards instead of outwards is a good idea.

My definition is pretty simple, Toxic Gamers have intent to cause harm /suffering  and are only toxic if they do this outside the roles/code of conduct in place by the games creator. Someone being toxic in one game may well not be considered toxic in another because they have different codes of conduct and thresholds for "bad behavior"

Re: your example... absolutely, reporting someone else for false reasons again and again to get someone banned for false reasons is definitely toxic behaviour. However reporting someone for breaching a games code of conduct is not toxic in my opinion, so you might need to define which one of those you meant with your example.

The other thing to consider is the team responsible for handling complaints are the ones who decide if someone gets banned, so you would assume / hope unfounded complaints generally have no action taken without proof.

Good discussion, lots of interesting opinions!

You make alot of assumptions there. How sure are you about them? I'm not sure at all, given my observations here.

• 839 posts
    September 2, 2019 8:45 PM PDT

Darck said:

You make alot of assumptions there. How sure are you about them? I'm not sure at all, given my observations here.

Honestly i am not sure how to answer that Darck.  I am only as sure as the next person who is not experienced in getting a lot of reports against them in game for... no reason?  I dont know mate, maybe you have a story to tell about your experience or someone you know that can explain your position better and I will be able to understand your point of view a bit better.  Maybe even as it is a big and assumably common problem (in some peoples eyes) you might have lots of examples to offer. 

I might be wrong but I think your mainly asking me how sure am I that people who choose to report someone else for false reasons will be held accountable for their own toxic behaviour. That behaviour being, repeatedly submitting a ticket to get the other person banned? When their report is unfounded. (excuse the convoluted nature of that sentance)

I assume at the point when VR see a whole lot of support tickets flooding in targetting a single player, it is the responsibility of VR staff to investigate to the best of their ability to find out if it is true or not.  If not then they should follow the protocol of their own code of conduct, if there isnt one setup to combat this specifically, I guess initially a warning should be given to the player and keep an eye out for more behaviour in the future and move towards harsher action if it is continued.

Either way, i agree this in a certain circumstance this behaviour is also toxic, but only if the report is false.  Otherwise its just reporting someone who broke code of conduct and is left in VR's hands.

• 432 posts
    September 3, 2019 9:01 AM PDT

Sunglare said:

Completely and totally agreeing with that. 5-10 years ago "toxicity" was only related to ingame circumstances. Today added a toxicity of second kind that you describe and which is for me much worse than some KSing or training because it consists to call "toxic" and harass somebody just because of his opinions. A toxic squared calling somebody else toxic ...

There are very few things which would make me stop playing Pantheon but like you, the toxicity of second kind would certainly be one if it was supported by VR .

• 1584 posts
    September 6, 2019 11:20 AM PDT
    You /ignore them, /block them. Another thing I think me be cool is if the GM'S and check to see who is getting these blocks and ignores and they can investigate these times at which it occurred and see if they need to get in contact with them with a warning, this way they don't only have to rely on the report system but what the community has done to not listen to a certain individual and check those logs as well, that way people won't always have to report, for one if people keep ignoring him than the more is will be able to say due to no one listening.
    • 1584 posts
    September 6, 2019 12:24 PM PDT

Deadshade said:

Sunglare said:

Completely and totally agreeing with that. 5-10 years ago "toxicity" was only related to ingame circumstances. Today added a toxicity of second kind that you describe and which is for me much worse than some KSing or training because it consists to call "toxic" and harass somebody just because of his opinions. A toxic squared calling somebody else toxic ...

There are very few things which would make me stop playing Pantheon but like you, the toxicity of second kind would certainly be one if it was supported by VR .

I've learned you simply don't talk politics, I mean I've even got into heated debates with my real life friends over politics and such opinions as these you simply stay away from them, and leave the area if you realize it's being talked about, yes people have strong opinions about things like these that's why on a MMO you simply don't discuss them, you open yourself up to being in a discussion that many people aren't going to agree with, this is why on platforms that streamers use they don't let anyone talk politics, or regilion or anything could seem highly offensive to people to stop such toxicity from happening in the first place.

I'm not trying to sound like you shouldn't voice your opinion, but I believe on a game where you pretty much dont know any of them, and talk about something you believe extremely strong about shouldn't be up for discussion where they should have a voice in, it's your beliefs express them with people you actually care about and leave it at that.

This post was edited by Cealtric at September 6, 2019 12:27 PM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    September 6, 2019 2:07 PM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Deadshade said:

Sunglare said:

I've learned you simply don't talk politics, I mean I've even got into heated debates with my real life friends over politics and such opinions as these you simply stay away from them, and leave the area if you realize it's being talked about, yes people have strong opinions about things like these that's why on a MMO you simply don't discuss them, you open yourself up to being in a discussion that many people aren't going to agree with, this is why on platforms that streamers use they don't let anyone talk politics, or regilion or anything could seem highly offensive to people to stop such toxicity from happening in the first place.

I'm not trying to sound like you shouldn't voice your opinion, but I believe on a game where you pretty much dont know any of them, and talk about something you believe extremely strong about shouldn't be up for discussion where they should have a voice in, it's your beliefs express them with people you actually care about and leave it at that.

i'm probably considered a 'toxic gamer'.  to a few i'm probably considered an antidote or a vaccine to make them stronger.   it really about how each individual takes in the information.

take for example:  yo man why you so slow with your dps rotation?

i could say this guy is a complete douchebag or(which i would do) take it as hey there are areas i can improve.  keybind this way.  do this rotation instead of this rotation during this situation.  

humans don't like it when they are wrong even if empirical data shows otherwise.

i'd rather hear honest opinions than to hear a bunch of yesmen.  how can one improve if one is not challenged?

if you looked at the whole story of the asshole that pointed out my dps loss he is probably frustrated because we are on the 7th attempt, tanks are staying alive long enough, healers are being efficient as possible, the fights are dragging out too long.  

to draw some forum beef here.. although this might be against the guidelines for pointing people out, vandraad and keno monster can be abrasive to many people.  they could be labeled as 'toxic'.  once i take time to understand what they are saying, there's a wealth of knowledge they are sharing.  i could even look at 1d7 and say he's just wasting text space (usually a lengthy read i have to translate into some dumb short story to understand)

i'm not going to fault them for their delievery.  heck i'm looking for critical points that would cause severe damage.  in essence conflict (which usually is labeled as toxic) separates strong ideals to the weak ones.

if we are denied that then we'll just be a bunch of weak thought minded collective.

i dont' know where i'm going with this so i'll stop now.

• 429 posts
    September 6, 2019 6:24 PM PDT

@stellarmind ROFL  , Might be laughing but I tend to agree .. Rather hear everyones view regardless of how they format or write it :) 

• 1584 posts
    September 6, 2019 9:14 PM PDT

You do realize I was talking about people talking about politics and things people can have a strong sense of judgement over, and you bring out.......rotations.....over a video game......which are two completely things. So yes where your statement can be true, it literally had nothing to do with what i said.

P.s. the only thing I've learned from Keno and 1AD7 is that they make a lot of post where all I hear is a bunch of whining, and I want things this way and that way.

This post was edited by Cealtric at September 6, 2019 9:20 PM PDT
    • 1428 posts
    September 7, 2019 8:21 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

You do realize I was talking about people talking about politics and things people can have a strong sense of judgement over, and you bring out.......rotations.....over a video game......which are two completely things. So yes where your statement can be true, it literally had nothing to do with what i said.

P.s. the only thing I've learned from Keno and 1AD7 is that they make a lot of post where all I hear is a bunch of whining, and I want things this way and that way.

eh politics and games is the same difference XD.

two different dispositions with different goals battling it out to the death (of an idea sometimes gets physical) sometimes they have the same goals, but a different approach and will still fight to say i have the best way to handle the situation.  better to talk about it before it escalates to a point where one side feels 'they had no choice'

npc orcs are living in a small quiet remote village minding their own business farming pigs and mushrooms when all of a sudden a group of savage adventurers come to plunder them.

sadly both sides don't know each others stories.

the adventurers were told they were invading the grasslands upon the kings territory and were terrorizing the local population so they got a quest to exterminate the orcs.

little did the adventurers know the poor orcs were escaping slavery from the ogres who were oppressing them.

if both sides had a bit of dialogue it wouldn't have become a one sided slaughter of orc slaves.  at least they had some decent loot and the adventurers gain fame for their heroic deeds.

• 1584 posts
    September 7, 2019 1:16 PM PDT

Stellar, that entire post is nonsense, there can be things you can talk about on a game, I was saying to leave the politics, and regilion and such things out for the simply fact you know bringing it up is going to offend someone 100%, it's going to happen, if you want to argue that you think your dog is the cutest do it, no one cares, and the ones that do oh well it simply you saying you love your dog, but with other matters it's completely different and to say it's the same as gaming is completely foolish.

• 1428 posts
    September 9, 2019 10:09 AM PDT

Riahuf22 said:

Stellar, that entire post is nonsense, there can be things you can talk about on a game, I was saying to leave the politics, and regilion and such things out for the simply fact you know bringing it up is going to offend someone 100%, it's going to happen, if you want to argue that you think your dog is the cutest do it, no one cares, and the ones that do oh well it simply you saying you love your dog, but with other matters it's completely different and to say it's the same as gaming is completely foolish.

hm... let me attempt a breakdown.. politics is about deception right?  in poker,  bluffs/calls/check and how much resources(money) to win it all.  a group of players(countries and nations) vying for resources.

i've told a told story about a king (a nations leader) and a group of oppressed orcs (illegal immigrants and slaves looking for a better life)

uhh.. so i've essentially just talked about politics and religion, i'm hoping, in a digestable manner that would be impartial.

if i'm not allowed to talk politics and religion then that means i can't tell my story because these things are about perspective and open to interpetation.

i can look at media such as the hunger games, harry potter and lord of the rings.  there are subtle hints of politics and religion.  so what should i do?  ban these movies?

take a look at other mmos with great lore that says these things.

wow for example horde vs alliance.

neither is right or wrong, probably have a bit of both.  they each have their legitimate reasons and concerns for doing the things they do.

the alliance was once great and king anduin wyrnn wants to make it great again.

the horde each want to do their own things and live free without oppression.

so what ban mmos?  we are essentially consuming media based on politics and religion.

what i'm saying, i think, is that toxic(religion and politics) is subjective.  i mean you calling my story nonsense is toxic to me =(, but i'll welcome the criticism and carry forward.  i understand you prefer straight talk and i won't fault you for it.  it is your right to voice your opinion about my story so why should you have the right to silence my story?  because you deem it nonsense and political?

• 839 posts
    September 9, 2019 3:40 PM PDT

stellarmind said:

this toxicity is the antidote for my depression.  i appreciate this :D  it's time for lunch ^.^

That's pretty sad and unfortunate dude, I hope you can get your life functioning in a way that lets you find happiness within yourself more than through watching others misery and frustration.  I really hope you can!

• 1399 posts
    September 9, 2019 7:59 PM PDT

Actually, to put a positive spin on this (before Kils deletes it all and my post makes no sence) this is indeed a good example that could be considered toxic behavior. 

AND a good example why GM intervention or  simply /ignore or /block might not be the best or final solution to solve all toxic players issues. These two having the public dispute was not stopped before i read it by a moderator, they can't always be here Kils needs sleep like the rest of us, hell he's grumpy enough as it is most the time. 

So the only way for me to avoid this would require me to /ignore both players. If I /ignore just one I still have the rants of player two (I really don't want to hear any of it, even more so a confusing one sided rant).I've seen 187 around for quite some time, and aside from teaching me what "tldr" means he's an OK guy, I don't want him on /ignore.  Salamander is new to the Forum and not a real great great first impression but to have a conflict with 187... he can't be all that bad eather.

This all gave me a good example to answer Kilsins question 

Kilsin said:

Have you ever encountered a toxic player in an MMORPG and if so how did you deal with the situation? :)

If THIS is what your considering a "toxic player" then I would sit back and watch or just not read there messages for a while.... maybe a timed /ignore would be in order.... ignore being able to select for how long Hour, Day, Week, or Permanent.

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at September 10, 2019 5:40 AM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    September 10, 2019 5:42 AM PDT

Thread cleaned up - some good posts got nuked due to quotes, sorry guys! I appreciate those who kept it civil.

Edited Zorkon's post as it was the last one left and was reasonable thinking to bring the thread back on topic.

Please don't demonstrate toxic behaviour in my thread asking how you deal with it!

P.S. I'm not grumpy!!! :D

This post was edited by VR-Mod1 at September 10, 2019 5:43 AM PDT
    • 89 posts
    September 10, 2019 7:25 AM PDT

How to deal with "toxicity" when gaming?

Step 1: Put on your big boy/girl pants and be an adult, someone having a different opinion than yours doesn't make them toxic.  Accept that they are (in your opinion) an idiot and move on.  If you can't handle running into a differing opinion on something then you shouldn't get on the internet.

Step 2: If someone is truly toxic (using frequent racial slurs, vulgarity, excessive name-calling or otherwise abusing someone, or otherwise violating the rules) then you report, ignore, and move on while expecting the proper authorities to handle the situation.  If the proper authorities fail to promptly address the situation then you take that failure into account when considering whether to continue supporting their product or not. 

This post was edited by Zyellinia at September 10, 2019 7:27 AM PDT
    • 696 posts
    September 10, 2019 7:36 AM PDT

I never really block anyone. I am pretty thick skinned and fun to be around.

• 193 posts
    September 10, 2019 8:09 AM PDT

Zyellinia said:

How to deal with "toxicity" when gaming?

Step 1: Put on your big boy/girl pants and be an adult, someone having a different opinion than yours doesn't make them toxic.  Accept that they are (in your opinion) an idiot and move on.  If you can't handle running into a differing opinion on something then you shouldn't get on the internet.

Step 2: If someone is truly toxic (using frequent racial slurs, vulgarity, excessive name-calling or otherwise abusing someone, or otherwise violating the rules) then you report, ignore, and move on while expecting the proper authorities to handle the situation.  If the proper authorities fail to promptly address the situation then you take that failure into account when considering whether to continue supporting their product or not. 

The definition of toxic, I'd wager, is different depending on who you ask. This post is a great example of it. Some folks think toxic is just not agreeing with them (not flaming or calling you out Zyellinia, you just had two examples split up nicely). Some think anyone who refuses to give them their way is a toxic player. For others, their limit is much further out there. It takes someone training them half the day, all while monopolizing and spamming zone and trade chat and doing everything else they can think of to make everyone else's day miserable.

stellarmind said:

*snip*

hm... let me attempt a breakdown.. politics is about deception right?  in poker,  bluffs/calls/check and how much resources(money) to win it all.  a group of players(countries and nations) vying for resources.

*snip*

what i'm saying, i think, is that toxic(religion and politics) is subjective.  i mean you calling my story nonsense is toxic to me =(, but i'll welcome the criticism and carry forward.  i understand you prefer straight talk and i won't fault you for it.  it is your right to voice your opinion about my story so why should you have the right to silence my story?  because you deem it nonsense and political?

This follows the same thinking. I would disagree with you here stellar, but only slightly. I think politics is primarily about control, with deception used as a manipulation tactic to achieve that control. I think that's what drives a good many of the toxic types we see, them trying to control our experience in game however they think they can. 

Sometimes people are seen as toxic when they're actually just ignorant. I remember once in EQ being on a random island out in the ocean, just wandering around and exporing. I ran into a hill giant rather unexpectedly and tried to fight it (yeah, that didn't end very well). There was a higher level druid there standing off healing me, trying to be nice. Well, I died and headed to the boat to try and get my corpse back. What I didn't know was the druid died, as well. I started getting tells from the druid blasting me for abandoning him/her. Apparently the giant squished them after me. I was fairly new to the game and genre and didn't know any better. The druid saw me as toxic and a jerk and I thought they were overreacting just a tad. 

Sorry Kilsin, I know this went a little long but wanted to show these. To answer your question, depending on the rep and the player, I'd probably try to be nice, at least at first, and try to help them. It's the repeated behaviors and disregard for others that will get someone ignored and blacklisted in my book.

As an aside, with all the first-person shooters and king-of-the-hill type games that we've had for the last few years, we might see some of that carry over into Pantheon. Just something to keep in mind.

This post was edited by Percipiens at September 10, 2019 8:10 AM PDT