Forums » The Warrior

Different type of warrior

• 87 posts
    December 29, 2015 4:10 PM PST

I was just adding to a conversation in another thread regarding the use of the shield as a weapon.  And i was looking at the Spartans and their weapon selection and battle style.  Disregarding the fact that they worked as a unit, i liked the idea of a warrior based on this type of combat

The idea of the the spear/shield/sword combo of the Spartans as per link?

Spartan weapons

how do other's feel about this idea for a warrior?

i also like the idea that if there were more than one such warrior in a raid they could get a defensive bonus?

just rambling :)

edit: typo

This post was edited by Narben4 at December 29, 2015 4:10 PM PST
    • 18 posts
    January 18, 2016 5:45 PM PST

I like the idea of different type's of weapons for Warriors.  I think the Spear and Shield works very well and gets us away from the regular Sword and Board idea of Swords and Shields or Axes and Shields.  We need to be able to use what weapon combinations we want to use.  Weapons in MMO's need to have diversity so that the players can choose what they want to do.   I like your idea about defensive bonus as well or maybe offensive bonus.  Maybe a spear does more damage to a Dragon type because you can't get close to a dragon, but up against a Elemental a Sword does more damage.  Or you could have bonus to different types of mobs like a Fire Mob or a Cold Mob or something. 

Hammer - Shatters Cold Mobs therefore doing X % More Damage

Sword - Cuts Fire and does more Damage to a Fire Mob

Normally Dungeons and Zones have a theme of some sort so that you wouldn't need to carry both with you in a Dungeon or Raid.

This would also force us to want to have more Weapons and have all the weapons thus forcing us to continue to raid and do dungeon's to fill out our characters.

• 324 posts
    March 19, 2016 6:21 PM PDT

Narben4 said:

i also like the idea that if there were more than one such warrior in a raid they could get a defensive bonus?

I actually like this idea. If war has a base 10% mitigation, maybe it goes up to 15% with a second war and 17% with a third or something to that effect.

In the past there is not been much room for the warrior (gaurdian eq2) in raids other than MT. Any hybrid class can bring more to the raid in any other position. This would give end game raiding guilds a reason to bring more than one warrior.

• 267 posts
    March 21, 2016 4:04 PM PDT

I am still hoping that the VR team will actually allow Warriors to dual wield Shields much like Rygar back in the arcade days.  Can you imagine the AC/damage mitigation that an Ogre with two shields would have for being the tank on a raid or group?  Make some shields be wearable as a shield or a weapon.  For those that are really passionate about being different have it so player crafted shields will have edges or sickle/scythe blades along them so the damage output goes up while still maintaining a good AC/damage mitigation.    I am hoping that they will make shields dual wieldable simply because as an Ogre I would then make it a point to use 2 TOWER shields on big bosses/raids. 

• 42 posts
    May 31, 2016 5:41 AM PDT

Narben4 said:

I was just adding to a conversation in another thread regarding the use of the shield as a weapon.  And i was looking at the Spartans and their weapon selection and battle style.  Disregarding the fact that they worked as a unit, i liked the idea of a warrior based on this type of combat

The idea of the the spear/shield/sword combo of the Spartans as per link?

Spartan weapons

how do other's feel about this idea for a warrior?

just rambling :)

edit: typo

the Sheild tank aka the holy Paladin is a diffrent kind of tank that uses a shield and tanks very well IMHO..

• 2585 posts
    November 4, 2016 9:34 AM PDT

Kecho said:

I like the idea of different type's of weapons for Warriors.  I think the Spear and Shield works very well and gets us away from the regular Sword and Board idea of Swords and Shields or Axes and Shields.  We need to be able to use what weapon combinations we want to use.  Weapons in MMO's need to have diversity so that the players can choose what they want to do.   I like your idea about defensive bonus as well or maybe offensive bonus.  Maybe a spear does more damage to a Dragon type because you can't get close to a dragon, but up against a Elemental a Sword does more damage.  Or you could have bonus to different types of mobs like a Fire Mob or a Cold Mob or something. 

Hammer - Shatters Cold Mobs therefore doing X % More Damage

Sword - Cuts Fire and does more Damage to a Fire Mob

Normally Dungeons and Zones have a theme of some sort so that you wouldn't need to carry both with you in a Dungeon or Raid.

This would also force us to want to have more Weapons and have all the weapons thus forcing us to continue to raid and do dungeon's to fill out our characters.

Can you please explain how swords cut fire? lol

It may be interesting to go back to old EQ days where some mobs required you to have a magic enchanted weapon to deal any damage to them. This was probably pretty frustrating to low level players. But I guess you just have to learn to avoid those mobs until you have a magic weapon. It makes no sense that an ordinary iron sword should be able to have any affect on pure fire.

Anyway, warriors are weapon masters and usually have the physical strength to carry several different types on them at all times, to be prepared for whatever situation they might find themselves in. I like the idea of a shield and sword. Of course being able to bash with the shield to stun or deal damage is nothing new to MMO's but why not give the option to really specialize in that sort of thing. Heck, why not just dual wield shields? Now that would be cool! :)

• 20 posts
    November 10, 2017 5:51 AM PST

First, some of these are definitely interesting ideas, and in some aspects of the game could even be nice viable options. However I feel much of it if implemented wholistically would break the balance of the game..

First, if we look at the concept of giving a defensive bonus for using a Spear & Shield over the more traditional gaming Sword&Board or Axe&Board then we run into an issue where those other combinations become quickly obseleted. At least it would be unfavorable for anyone doing more difficult content, so you would see the vast majority of people using that same weapon type.

Giving a bonus for a phalanx style formation, multiple tanks wielding Spear&Shield against the same target, makes sense when looked at from a historical perspective, or against normal sized opponents. Against huge creatures (Mammoth, Giant, Dragon...) the strength of the Phalanx is over ruled due to brute force, being agile and able to dodge out of the way is going to be far more effective.  In those cases you have the often referenced Sauron image where one swing of his mace sends multiple people flying away. Simply being part of a Phalanx is not an effective defense against such creatures. Even against a normal elephant or charging rhino give me a long spear that I can brace against the ground, and room to tumble out of the way once the beast has contacted the spear before it reaches me.

I personally agree that some creatures require magic to be hit. Why would a normal weapon ever hit an incorporeal creature. There is no physical form to contact with, so what is a normal physical weapon going to do? Is it annoying and potentially deadly if you encounter such creatures before you are able to deal with them. Absolutley, but isn't that one of the main focus points of this game, bring the danger back to the MMO, make it so someone blindly running around attacking anything it sees without thought of strategy or consequence doesn't still get a free ride to max level.

Overall I think they are doing things right. They are setting weapon types to matter against foes, a Mace will be more effective than a sword/spear against a skeleton, a spear is likely going to be ideal against large/mounted creatures (regardless of being 2 handed or 1hand with shield).