Forums » The Shaman

A Shaman's Weapon

• 1077 posts
    April 4, 2016 6:19 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

Awesome picks of ceremonial drums Vandraad, it would be amazing to see something like that implemented as a shamans armaments :D if it was to be a combat supportive role, maybe a shield (drum) and mace (mallet), or if it was a support/cc role with little to no melee, just a drum/mallet :D

This was immensely helpful, as before I was picturing a band drum (like a marching band xP, don't know why I thought of this rather than a ceremonial drum lol!)

Rachael

This post was edited by Rachael at April 4, 2016 6:19 AM PDT
    • 603 posts
    April 4, 2016 5:43 PM PDT

Rachael said:

Vandraad said:

Awesome picks of ceremonial drums Vandraad, it would be amazing to see something like that implemented as a shamans armaments :D if it was to be a combat supportive role, maybe a shield (drum) and mace (mallet), or if it was a support/cc role with little to no melee, just a drum/mallet :D

This was immensely helpful, as before I was picturing a band drum (like a marching band xP, don't know why I thought of this rather than a ceremonial drum lol!)

Rachael

I disagree about the 'little or no melee'.  If these are things which we need to be carrying to do our jobs, like a warrior needing his sword or a rogue his daggers, then whatever it is we carry needs to have the respectable (for our class that is) combat capabilities.  Finding yourself in a position where you need to swap these out for weapons/shield only makes your survival that much more difficult.  If such a thing like those ceremonial drums were to exist in Pantheon they should be treated and act like a shield so that means having a sizeable AC component to go with all the +stat bonuses.

• 1077 posts
    April 4, 2016 7:50 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Rachael said:

I disagree about the 'little or no melee'.  If these are things which we need to be carrying to do our jobs, like a warrior needing his sword or a rogue his daggers, then whatever it is we carry needs to have the respectable (for our class that is) combat capabilities.  Finding yourself in a position where you need to swap these out for weapons/shield only makes your survival that much more difficult.  If such a thing like those ceremonial drums were to exist in Pantheon they should be treated and act like a shield so that means having a sizeable AC component to go with all the +stat bonuses.

I agree, I was just speculating :P I'd prefer it to be the drum(shield) mallet(mace) combo aswell (or something along those lines) as that would make more sense in combat :)

• 79 posts
    April 16, 2016 9:06 AM PDT

What if having a drum equipped didn't give any AC or allow you to attack your enemies but provided an AoE buff/healing for your party when you activated auto attack?

Some may think this steps on the toes of the Bard a little, but

1. Bards won't be in game at launch
    2. Bards could focus on other instruments that provided different/stronger buffs
    3. Just because a warrior uses an axe really well doesn't mean that Rangers shouldn't also be able to use axes to simillar effect.

Just my 2 cp.  Makes more sense that the ceremonial drum be used to buff and inspire warriors (like what real shaman do) than be used to deflect attacks. 

• 265 posts
    April 16, 2016 1:53 PM PDT

Am with you, but as much as you can tell from such a small demographic..? The habits of 'old' are a touch too deeply ingrained.

• 139 posts
    June 30, 2016 11:34 PM PDT
    I really like that idea, Gurt. Very cool thinking to try removing weapons from a class and see how it goes, Aenra. That sort of stuff adds so much flavor and individuality to the classes.

Maybe a shaman could choose to buff/heal/whatever as an auto attack with a drum, for example, or he could choose to use a weapon like a spear. Different types of shamans. And they could always use their spirit magic to attack, too.
    • 323 posts
    July 1, 2016 7:41 AM PDT

Gurt said:

What if having a drum equipped didn't give any AC or allow you to attack your enemies but provided an AoE buff/healing for your party when you activated auto attack?

Some may think this steps on the toes of the Bard a little, but

1. Bards won't be in game at launch
    2. Bards could focus on other instruments that provided different/stronger buffs
    3. Just because a warrior uses an axe really well doesn't mean that Rangers shouldn't also be able to use axes to simillar effect.

Just my 2 cp.  Makes more sense that the ceremonial drum be used to buff and inspire warriors (like what real shaman do) than be used to deflect attacks. 

I like having items which modify our spells (different for heal/dps?) such as the drums and tomes. As for how or what they modify, we'd have to see what the devs think. Bards (hopefully will be in launch, says a guy who played a bard for many years haha) are/were a whole different setup together based on the fact that their songs did massive boosts to group dps. This was the reason why they had crappy personal dps (melee & DoTs/DD sucked). Regen was great for dps/less downtime, but it was not used for actual heals as shamans get with their spells. Bards were basically an odd setup that ended up working out great, in my bias opinion.

Us using a weapon effectively... I can't say I like that idea right off the bat. If we have to melee to have any sort of damage competition with say druids, since they're the other wis psuedo healer, then it's way too reliant on melee. Part of having classes split between melee and range is also good for adding to possible raid mechanics without killing a class' dps.

If it were easier to solo in Panth (won't happen and nobody wants it) I can see classes like shamans, especially if we don't get a movement inhibiter, needing melee capabilities and what not so that our spells getting interupted doesn't prevent us from killing mobs. But, if we get a movement inhibiter and/or a pet that can hold threat (if we aren't going crazy on dps) while we cast, then I see no reason to give shamans much melee capabilities. I remember shamans using the pet method in EQ especially because it had a taunt. In early levels, EQ shamans did have competitive melee capabilities, but they also lacked the ability to put out decent dps with spells so it was acceptable imo.

Edit: In case it wasn't made clear (I'm crappy at writing as you know), if we're meant to have decent melee capabilities it will have to make up for us not getting spells off easily due to being hit. With that compromise our dps spells will need to be crappy so we're not great at both. Rangers can be brought up for range vs melee depending on how they end up being designed, but that's not the issue here.

This post was edited by tanwedar at July 1, 2016 7:58 AM PDT
    • 54 posts
    January 27, 2017 10:07 AM PST

I think, any ritual item (may it be a kind of voodoo dool, a shrunken head from certain enemies, ritual drums etc.) + a "tribal" weapon would work in my opinion.

Talking of shrunken heads, how about you could craft them from enemies you have killed (e.g. goblins) and if you fight another pack of goblins, can use the shrunken head somehow in combat. Maybe make a totem out of it that debuffs goblins, or cast a certain curse in a stronger form on the type of enemies the shrunken head represents...?

• 73 posts
    January 27, 2017 2:33 PM PST
    Love the idea sebbulba!
    • 80 posts
    April 17, 2017 7:02 PM PDT

I would probably go with staves carved of sacred woods which contain the essence of the spirits or a bone staff of similar nature.  A spiritual focus or effigy of a patron or spiritual entity would also suite me well.  As Sebbula mentioned above, the foci would be like voodo dolls or the skulls/heads of a mighty animal or being which contains strong spiritual essence. These would be etched with glyphs, runes, or sigils which could be released in a blast of close range power, the spirit within cursing a foe with a damaging affliction or simply dealing basic damage.  

• 603 posts
    April 17, 2017 8:04 PM PDT

It is ideas like these where I really would want our class to have a 'class weapon' that we build up over time as we adventure, adding things to it, making it have those bonuses to match our playstyle.  So if you really wanted a goblin-bane bonus that would affect all your spells when cast against goblins you could have it..but it would be permanent.  No 'quick-changing' of effects or it would be too overpowered.  You would have to make choices.

• 80 posts
    April 19, 2017 1:47 AM PDT

Vandraad said:

It is ideas like these where I really would want our class to have a 'class weapon' that we build up over time as we adventure, adding things to it, making it have those bonuses to match our playstyle.  So if you really wanted a goblin-bane bonus that would affect all your spells when cast against goblins you could have it..but it would be permanent.  No 'quick-changing' of effects or it would be too overpowered.  You would have to make choices.

Some newer and evolving mmos have begun to take this stance on weapon empowerment.  While It's great from a progression standpoint, it bites one in the rear with respects to choice and immersion.  When you have a specific class weapon, it locks that class to that weapon type and that weapon type alone.  Lets say you were a warrior who is forced to use 2 1-handed swords, but you are a race who has claws and by virtue of lore would resonably benifit from using extended claw/fist weapons.  Suddenly you are locked to those swords and cannot choose what's prefereable or logical.  I prefer to have access to a variety of weapon choices so I can customize my character. 

Given that Pantheon holds true to the original DnD Rock/Paper/Scissors scheme where blunt beats skeletons/insects, peircing beats slimes, and slashing beats... beasts I guess (not the best example but the best i could think of),  a specific primary weapon system simillar to the one mentioned above would not work well, and would severily limit what each class could effectively fight. 

This post was edited by Farrinard at April 19, 2017 1:48 AM PDT