Forums » Off-Topic and Casual Chatter

Everquest box art mystery

• 106 posts
    November 17, 2015 6:01 PM PST

I have been staring at the original everquest box art trying to decipher what makes it so enthralling and i have come to the conclusion that the reason it draws you in is because in the painting nagafen apears to be an ally of the good races of norath. And Dragon comradery is super badass. Was nagafen originally supposed to be a friendly dragon?

• 595 posts
    November 18, 2015 7:37 AM PST

munge said:

I have been staring at the original everquest box art trying to decipher what makes it so enthralling and i have come to the conclusion that the reason it draws you in is because in the painting nagafen apears to be an ally of the good races of norath. And Dragon comradery is super badass.

Negative.  

Actual answer: Firiona Vie is a total smoke shop.

• 9115 posts
    November 18, 2015 3:10 PM PST

We have http://www.keithparkinson.com/ to thank for a lot of that, including Firiona Vie ;)

• 595 posts
    November 18, 2015 4:29 PM PST

His work is amazing.  I love the way he uses color. 

• 106 posts
    November 18, 2015 5:01 PM PST

Maybe thats why they call it Box art :)

• 9115 posts
    November 18, 2015 6:13 PM PST

Nikademis said:

His work is amazing.  I love the way he uses color. 

It certainly is, Keith is one of my all-time favourite artists for games :)

munge said:

Maybe thats why they call it Box art :)

Exactly, something that lacks a lot these days for most games, the art side of things is usually much more limited while they concentrate more on the money making side of things, which is sad really.

• 106 posts
    November 18, 2015 6:22 PM PST

Ya i love the photo realism, I vote that only photo textures be used in pantheon :)

• 668 posts
    November 18, 2015 6:59 PM PST

I can already tell you that even though I already bought a digital copy of game I am going to want a physical box with all the goodies in it...! 

• 9115 posts
    November 18, 2015 8:38 PM PST

munge said:

Ya i love the photo realism, I vote that only photo textures be used in pantheon :)

I really like photorealism too, which is why I have over 220 mods for Skyrim and similar games, but when it comes to Pantheon, we need to be realistic in terms of rendering so many textures, for so many people at the same time isn't like rendering a single player game that is created just for your viewing pleasure ;)

You can see from our screenshots that the game looks amazing but to get any more "real to life" than that will start to hit performance pretty hard and start upping the min required specs for everyone's PCs and we don't want to do that!

• 106 posts
    November 19, 2015 10:46 PM PST

Kilsin said:

munge said:

I really like photorealism too, which is why I have over 220 mods for Skyrim and similar games, but when it comes to Pantheon, we need to be realistic in terms of rendering so many textures, for so many people at the same time isn't like rendering a single player game that is created just for your viewing pleasure ;)

You can see from our screenshots that the game looks amazing but to get any more "real to life" than that will start to hit performance pretty hard and start upping the min required specs for everyone's PCs and we don't want to do that!

The origimal Everquest used photo textures. So did the original counterstrike. Its not Hardware intensive it is just a different style. Counterstike 1 looks more realistic than team fortress 2 and its not due to graphics its all in the texturing. :)

• 106 posts
    November 20, 2015 8:51 AM PST

The original everquest zones use photo textures and the revamped ones use textures that are made in ms paint by 3rd graders. There is no argument, photo is just better. In original everquest even the item icons where photo realistic and thats what we need to get back too :)

This post was edited by munge at November 20, 2015 9:16 AM PST