Forums » The Shaman

Cannibalize

• 457 posts
    February 1, 2018 4:59 PM PST

Kaen said:

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I hated canni-dancing. I was busy enough as it was with heals buffs, debuffs. Then constantly canni-dancing, watching numbers for each mana up-tick. I truly grew to hate it. I'd much rather have something similar to Lich form or even just a spell like Breeze/Clarity--even if it were self-cast only. Or make Canni much more effective so that you do it far less.

Just my 2c...

Nah, I agree with you to a point. It took some guts to try to manage it all (and I died several times by going too far) but having to cast canni so many times is not something I am hoping the devs want to inflict upon us.

• 1790 posts
    February 2, 2018 11:14 AM PST

Cannibalize spam was awful, you are not alone. 

• 8 posts
    February 26, 2018 7:33 AM PST
    Thoroughly enjoyed canni dancing due to having no downtime with the groups you're in and the versatility of always having mana for dps, debuffs, and heals. Wouldn't oppose a lich form dot, no more getting mezzed, but would like to see how much agro you'd gain over the old canni.
    • 889 posts
    March 1, 2018 6:39 PM PST

What I do not want to see is just some generic 'KEI' like effect.  The HP to Mana conversion is, to me, an essential part of the class.  This time around I would prefer to see an EQ1 necromancer lich-type of buff where HP is converted to mana over time.  The key would be that over a given period of time, the resulting mana gain and hp loss would be equal to what the old canni-dance would have given us.

• 159 posts
    April 5, 2018 12:54 PM PDT

Listen to some of you... "I don't want to work for my never-ending mana trick" lol.  Meanwhile everyone else is sitting still waiting for the 3 sec server tic to grant them their mana, and lich didn't stack with clarity like canni and protection of the glade did.  I loved my necro, but watching my buddy's shaman go to full mana in 30 seconds and then torpor back to full HP in 24 seconds was pretty amazing (and demoralizing in pvp if you were anything other than a burst DPS class (rogue/monk/wiz) trying to fight a shaman... and if you were a melee and got slowed - GG.)  

Just playing devil's advocate.  I know it was probably an inconvenience to have to continually press the same button over and over to have your infinite mana :p

• 718 posts
    April 5, 2018 1:59 PM PDT

Darch said:

Listen to some of you... "I don't want to work for my never-ending mana trick" lol.  Meanwhile everyone else is sitting still waiting for the 3 sec server tic to grant them their mana, and lich didn't stack with clarity like canni and protection of the glade did.  I loved my necro, but watching my buddy's shaman go to full mana in 30 seconds and then torpor back to full HP in 24 seconds was pretty amazing (and demoralizing in pvp if you were anything other than a burst DPS class (rogue/monk/wiz) trying to fight a shaman... and if you were a melee and got slowed - GG.)  

Just playing devil's advocate.  I know it was probably an inconvenience to have to continually press the same button over and over to have your infinite mana :p

:P Canni 3 and Torpor were quite overpowered combos, much things started to be too much during velious era, even if some classes got their true purpose back then (Shaman's torpor was a blast they needed).

• 245 posts
    April 16, 2018 2:39 PM PDT

For what it's worth, I think the canni/hot loop in EQ1 was a kludge fix.  If it were up to me, I don't think I'd design it into Pantheon shaman.  Risk/reward management is fun, but accomplishing that by playing with healthbars as a resource makes a heck of a lot more sense for necros.

• 327 posts
    April 26, 2018 2:31 PM PDT
    The canni aa was pretty good. Took a huge chunk. I would love a more necro style canni that does it for the length of the spell effect instead of doing canni dance.
    • 3 posts
    June 27, 2018 4:01 PM PDT

I loved the Canni abilitty, combined with HoT it helped reduce downtime and get extra mana when times were desperate. One of many things I loved about EQ1 Shammy.

• 1078 posts
    July 15, 2018 9:31 PM PDT

Canni became an absolutley horrible chore. If you wanted to play your class the best, it was absolutley non stop. In a game that's based on taking a breath once in a while and socializing, canni was soooo tedious(while being obviously very powerful). If it's impelemented in a different way, hooray. If it's a spell you cast over and over dozens of times every 3 seconds just to play your class during downtime, then I think that would stink. 

This post was edited by Keno Monster at July 15, 2018 9:33 PM PDT
    • 889 posts
    July 17, 2018 4:37 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Canni became an absolutley horrible chore. If you wanted to play your class the best, it was absolutley non stop. In a game that's based on taking a breath once in a while and socializing, canni was soooo tedious(while being obviously very powerful). If it's impelemented in a different way, hooray. If it's a spell you cast over and over dozens of times every 3 seconds just to play your class during downtime, then I think that would stink. 

Back when typing in the game itself was the only real way to communicate I can see why cannibalization wasn't seen in a good light, but these days when everyone uses Discord, Teamspeak, etc in every game?  That argument becomes irrelevant.\

The cannibalization spell line served its purpose and was a very powerful ability, necessary to offset the rather inefficient nature of shaman spells.  I believe quite strongly that an ability which accomplishes the same task but by a different method (still unique to the Shaman) is the better way to go.  It remains to be seen if Shaman actually get anything like that.

• 718 posts
    July 17, 2018 4:46 PM PDT

I don't think anyone need a Static canni to spam. Just make a line of spell consuming 20% of your life and converting 0.5 hp eaten into mana. Then the upgrades goes to 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 or whatever.

The more mana your get is the reward of upgrading the spell / getting access to higher level of the same line, not the number of time your need to keypress in succession.

• 889 posts
    July 18, 2018 8:23 AM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

I don't think anyone need a Static canni to spam. Just make a line of spell consuming 20% of your life and converting 0.5 hp eaten into mana. Then the upgrades goes to 0.6, 0.7, 0.8 or whatever.

The more mana your get is the reward of upgrading the spell / getting access to higher level of the same line, not the number of time your need to keypress in succession.

This is why I would push for either 1) a EQ1 Lich-line type of effect where it continually converts HP to Mana or; 2) a short duration 'buff' that, for say 45 seconds, converts HP to Mana. As a trade off, movement speed could be reduced or something like that.

• 1078 posts
    July 19, 2018 12:50 PM PDT

Vandraad said:

Keno Monster said:

Back when typing in the game itself was the only real way to communicate I can see why cannibalization wasn't seen in a good light, but these days when everyone uses Discord, Teamspeak, etc in every game?  That argument becomes irrelevant.\

The cannibalization spell line served its purpose and was a very powerful ability, necessary to offset the rather inefficient nature of shaman spells.  I believe quite strongly that an ability which accomplishes the same task but by a different method (still unique to the Shaman) is the better way to go.  It remains to be seen if Shaman actually get anything like that.

Doesn't become irrelevant when I don't want to have to sit there hitting canni over and over and over and over and over and over while also playing a class that is arguably going to be one of the single busiest in combat as well. It was tedious as hell. 

• 889 posts
    July 22, 2018 4:55 PM PDT

Keno Monster said:

Doesn't become irrelevant when I don't want to have to sit there hitting canni over and over and over and over and over and over while also playing a class that is arguably going to be one of the single busiest in combat as well. It was tedious as hell. 

I guess we will just disagaree then. I never saw the Shaman as tedious, repetitious or overly busy.   I was enjoying everything about the class just too much I guess.  To each their own.