Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

CRAFTING + FAST TRAVEL =...

• 578 posts
    October 20, 2015 9:03 PM PDT

TRAIN TRACKS AND TRAINS

So fast travel was brought up a bunch of times I'm sure and is going to be hard to avoid all together which isn't a bad thing as long as it is done properly. Even if they do away with portals/rifts all together I'm sure there will be some from of boating system or some kind of horse and buggy where you pay an NPC and they travel you across the globe to some other city port. I'm sure Pantheon will not leave us to our tom and jerry or our horses tom, jerry, bob, and jane.

It would be cool if Pantheon launched and everyone had to hoof it around their initial days in Terminus. As they progressed they'd meet other players who could either give them a run speed buff, include them in group and everyone in group gets run speed, or they could teleport them via a wizard spell and/or druid spell. You know, just like the old days.

But what if during this time crafters progressed. Blacksmiths progressed in making different forms of steel and plates and what have you. Woodworkers learned how to fashion together wooden structures. Alchemists learned how to create potions and chemicals and even fuel. What if ALL these crafters got together and created a train system? Crafters from each city could work on their locales trains and tracks and as they worked outward they could connect with other cities tracks and systems. Guilds could work on this together and possibly if a town doesn't have anybody working on its cities train system someone else can come in and keep building their tracks right on through.

POSSIBLY whoever built the tracks could charge their own fees, which would be cool incentive for doing this let alone just the feature of having a train system that enables players to travel much faster across terminus. Or the trains could be free I don't know. But either way this would be a great way to get the community together to work on something that would make the world feel more alive and would give everyone involved a great sense of accomplishment and ultimately, again, would give the players a fast travel system that wasn't some instanttaneous portal/rifting system.

I don't see trains, some form of them whether it be trains or some other from of transportation, and whether it be steamp punk, magical, alchemically, mystically, etc being too far out of the reaches of our lore. We have dwarves, gnomes, humans, etc along with Terminus itself being a bunch of different worlds together. I think it could be a part of this world.

• 179 posts
    October 21, 2015 7:46 AM PDT

I also don't see trains but some other type of transportation that fit into the world like wagons could be crafted. I like that it could be an event possibly for each race to accomplish on every server individually. Have multiple crafters be required and tons of material required to be donated. Possibly throw in some quest in order to earn the recipe.

• 160 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:36 AM PDT

An interesting idea. It allows people not of a specific (druid/wizard) class to offer travel for money.

However, it should be among the endgame crafting recipes, and very hard to get, both the skill and the recipe itself, otherwise everyone will have it.

In fact, several recipes could be made. One for a dock with a ship, players click, and a certain amount of coin is deducted from their account and they're allowed to be on the ship. The coin goes to the owner, and the game system deducts a tax, which also helps to remove the coin from the game.

The crafter would decide the route, and the ship would then work automatically. This would enable different optimized routes, depending on where people actually want to travel.

Another recipe, maybe, for a waypoint for automated flying mounts.

Real teleports maybe, if each ticket is >>very<< expensive, or if it uses up an item that's not a common drop.

• 2138 posts
    October 21, 2015 5:25 PM PDT

This discussion got me thinking that along with maybe class specific abilities, the idea of paying a fare to get on the boat seems reasonable- scaled to level, so between 1-10 the fare is X, and from 10-20 fare is X+.

Or, Zip lines. One way crafted Zip lines so if you go where one is, if you're lucky it's there, if not, you know its on the other side and you have to walk. Or even half way, one way auto re-set Zip lines that get you partial or half way in/accross.

hehe, or class/race specific zip lines that took two at a time so you had to figure out the puzzle, if anyone remembers the cannibals and the missionaries? or 3 dimes and 3 pennies and two could go accross but one had to come back (to row the boat) and only certain pairs ( classes, races?)  could be left alone but others could not. Heh an ogre and a gnome would not work because the ogre would eat the gnome, but two gnomes or two ogres are ok. Can you imagine doing that with a small raid force, lol.

oh gosh even for a group and the area bound by magic to insure it happens or else everyone is set back to the beginning and you have to start over-  

• 338 posts
    October 21, 2015 5:49 PM PDT

No trains in my fantasy please...

Kiz~

• 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 8:22 PM PDT

Anasyn said:

I also don't see trains but some other type of transportation that fit into the world like wagons could be crafted. I like that it could be an event possibly for each race to accomplish on every server individually. Have multiple crafters be required and tons of material required to be donated. Possibly throw in some quest in order to earn the recipe.

I understand, a lot of people will agree that trains don't fit the lore. But I'm one of those types that believe ANYthing is possible and I could fit trains into pretty much ANY lore and make it realistic. But again, I'd think it cool for some type of system whether it be planes, trains, automobiles to be in place that the PLAYERS could have an affect on. And there are numerous ways it could be implemented from quests to high level crafting recipes etc.

• 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 8:28 PM PDT

Aethor said:

An interesting idea. It allows people not of a specific (druid/wizard) class to offer travel for money.

However, it should be among the endgame crafting recipes, and very hard to get, both the skill and the recipe itself, otherwise everyone will have it.

In fact, several recipes could be made. One for a dock with a ship, players click, and a certain amount of coin is deducted from their account and they're allowed to be on the ship. The coin goes to the owner, and the game system deducts a tax, which also helps to remove the coin from the game.

The crafter would decide the route, and the ship would then work automatically. This would enable different optimized routes, depending on where people actually want to travel.

Another recipe, maybe, for a waypoint for automated flying mounts.

Real teleports maybe, if each ticket is >>very<< expensive, or if it uses up an item that's not a common drop.

Would "everyone having it" really be a problem though? I mean maybe but I'm thinking of this as the players build this traveling system whatever it may be (trains, air ships, boats, etc) and once these locales are connected the entire population would get to use it.

It wouldn't even have to be a vehicle type of system. Maybe the crafters/enchanters could build the riftways so people could teleport around city to city. I would really like to stay away from instant traveling portal riftways. Or a system where there really is no penalty or negative attributes to instant travel.

• 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 8:44 PM PDT

Angrykiz said:

No trains in my fantasy please...

Kiz~

Oh you're just being Angry ;D

Why not, may I ask? It wouldn't be instant fast travel like rift ways and portals. If trains are too hard to imagine on Terminus then possibly air ships? Blimps? Boats? I mean it doesn't have to be trains but I really like the idea of trains. And is it really hard to imagine the Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, etc getting together to create a train system with tracks and all? I don't.

The reason why I like trains is for many reasons. MMOs have a hard time avoiding fast travel. It's either in them or it gets implemented down the road later on in the game's life. A train system crafted by the people would give the players something to work towards collectively, and Terminus would feel alive because over time it would grow right along with the players. Every type of crafter could be used to collaborate on this event. And if the players want a faster way to travel from one side of the world to the other then they have to put in the effort to connect the tracks between city to city or village to town to kingdom or what-have-you.

Now, IMO fast travel isn't totally a bad idea. For it to be a good idea though it has to have drawbacks. Rifts/ports that teleport players for 10 silver between city and city with unlimited amount of uses is bad. There is no drawback besides paying a couple coins each time. A train system is slow and deliberate. They have schedules, they have specific directions they travel, and can really only go between two locations at any given time. Manouk mentioned zip lines that can only go one way which would work within the train system because while trains can go in two directions they tend to only go one. Any trip on a train can only take you to so many different locales at any given time. Not every city with a train station is going to be able to take you to any other city you'd like to go to, and possibly NO city would be able to take you anywhere on the map.

So I really don't see why it's a bad idea. It would make traveling around faster possible. It would be a unique social collective feature. And it wouldn't take away from the exploration aspects because it would only give players a limited reach of travel. Players would still have to explore the world due to the train's limited reach.

edit. And basically since you are just against this idea and have no input or feedback you are accepting fast travel such as riftways and portals that instantly port players around with unlimited ports. Because that's what's going to happen somewhere down the road if we don't come up with a different viable solution.

This post was edited by NoobieDoo at October 21, 2015 9:36 PM PDT
    • 430 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:15 PM PDT

I'm with Kiz on this , no trains , planes or automobiles . 

Why ? IMHO they simply do not fit into a high fantasy MMO like pantheon is portrayed to be . I like the boats and even class ports ,  I even don't mind gate potions Like the shaman alchemy potions . Nothing wrong with four legged creatures either . 

This post was edited by Shea at October 21, 2015 9:19 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:33 PM PDT

Shea said:

I'm with Kiz on this , no trains , planes or automobiles . 

Why ? IMHO they simply do not fit into a high fantasy MMO like pantheon is portrayed to be . I like the boats and even class ports ,  I even don't mind gate potions Like the shaman alchemy potions . Nothing wrong with four legged creatures either . 

So then the players/crafters together craft boat ports. They craft boats and then eventually down the road we have faster travel with boats. Though there is a lot of leeway with boats since they do not have to be on tracks which is why Trains or a great idea because not only can the players craft the tracks, the trains would have a very specific route which would favor fast travel giving it a drawback.

• 430 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:38 PM PDT

although your ideas are extremely interesting , I personally don't feel it makes sense in pantheon . Wagon trains perhaps and that's pushing it ( course we the players might be pushing them ) lol .

• 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:47 PM PDT

I just see the inevitable, which is some form of instant fast travel whether it be portals or riftways or whatever. Most of the community here seems to be opposed to fast travel and just want to take their mount and explore but they are kidding themselves if they think instant fast travel will never enter this game.

• 430 posts
    October 21, 2015 9:52 PM PDT

Agreed instant travel will most likely enter the game (At some point ) . I do hope that when it does it flows with the theme of pantheon . Imho trains , planes and automobiles simply don't .  It's similar to when they added the zone south of NT in vanguard . I thought those cannons were ridiculous and did not fit the game .. I stopped playing shortly thereafter .. 

This post was edited by Shea at October 21, 2015 9:53 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    October 21, 2015 10:17 PM PDT

Shea said:

Agreed instant travel will most likely enter the game (At some point ) . I do hope that when it does it flows with the theme of pantheon . Imho trains , planes and automobiles simply don't .  It's similar to when they added the zone south of NT in vanguard . I thought those cannons were ridiculous and did not fit the game .. I stopped playing shortly thereafter .. 

Lol, well in my defense, automobiles and planes were a joke. And the theme of Pantheon IS that a bunch of worlds and dimensions have collided with each other if I'm not mistaken. Different time periods and the sort so I still highly believe that trains could fit in the lore.

The Khadassa (hope I spelled that right) Dwarves are said to have experience with steel and mysticysm and I'm sure the Gnomes have familiarity with enchantments and the humans with alchemy and the elves with woodworking or what have you. You can combine steel and wood to fashion trains that run off steam and coal and fuel from alchemy with a little bit of enchantment and mysticysm to wrap everything up. Trains are not dependent on futuristic technology, they have been around for many years and were made very crudely back in the day.

I'm not going to beat a dead horse so just know that I'm not trying to add science fiction into Pantheon. Nor am I trying to modernize it, I believe trains can transcend time periods more easily than automobiles and planes and etc.

Cheers

• 211 posts
    October 21, 2015 10:57 PM PDT

Off topic a bit, but why do you guys assume that fast travel will eventually be in the game? I thought that this game was being designed specifically to buck those types of systems. Unless you are thinking of a few expansions in the future - like when these terrible, horrible, abysmal, dreadful Plane of Knowledge books showed up everywhere in EQ?

• 79 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:38 AM PDT

We are already going to have the caravan system from VG, Caster ports, boats I'm sure,  and mounts. I really don't see the need for any additional transportation, you can only have so many forms of it before you trivialize the world, which the devs have said several times they do not want to do.

• 79 posts
    October 22, 2015 12:44 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Most of the community here seems to be opposed to fast travel and just want to take their mount and explore but they are kidding themselves if they think instant fast travel will never enter this game.

That's what the devs want as well, not just the players. The whole entire point of Pantheon is to explore the world and to engage with people while doing it. You pretty much have to have long journeys if you want people to band together. If we can all just zap around willy nilly the entire need to communicate/group up for directions/protection during a journey goes out the door. I'm pretty sure that neither of McQuaid's games had instant fast travel while he was around, and that those were decisions made after he was already gone. I'm confident that while he has anything to say about it, we won't see any trivial instant fast travel. Unless ofcourse you're meaning caster portals, which aren't really "instant" as they will probably have a fairly long cast time and cost a good deal of mana, as well as most likely not having THAT many places you can actually cast a port to.

This post was edited by Happytrees at October 22, 2015 12:47 AM PDT
    • 288 posts
    October 22, 2015 4:32 AM PDT

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

Most of the community here seems to be opposed to fast travel and just want to take their mount and explore but they are kidding themselves if they think instant fast travel will never enter this game.

That's what the devs want as well, not just the players. The whole entire point of Pantheon is to explore the world and to engage with people while doing it. You pretty much have to have long journeys if you want people to band together. If we can all just zap around willy nilly the entire need to communicate/group up for directions/protection during a journey goes out the door. I'm pretty sure that neither of McQuaid's games had instant fast travel while he was around, and that those were decisions made after he was already gone. I'm confident that while he has anything to say about it, we won't see any trivial instant fast travel. Unless ofcourse you're meaning caster portals, which aren't really "instant" as they will probably have a fairly long cast time and cost a good deal of mana, as well as most likely not having THAT many places you can actually cast a port to.

This is what I thought Pantheon was all about, seeing a fast travel thread that wasn't entirely about how bad it is makes me wonder how many of you actually know what kind of game you're backing?

• 338 posts
    October 22, 2015 6:07 AM PDT

As far as fast travel is concerned... there's only a couple types that I'm ok with.

1) Wiz / Druid ports to predetermined locations.

2) Boats between continents.

3) Dying, leaving a corpse, and appearing naked at your bind spot.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

• 72 posts
    October 22, 2015 6:35 AM PDT

Angrykiz said:

As far as fast travel is concerned... there's only a couple types that I'm ok with.

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

This. All of this. But I'll add in a few "modern" advancements I'd love to see.

4) Any speed enchantments from items/spells/songs

5) Mounts! Horses / exotic creatures at the very least. (With teleportation I'm less inclined to see flying mounts)

6) Personalized skiffs/boats like in VG made by experienced crafters

7) I'd love to see the idea of wagon travel. I think it would be much more immersive and quite frankly, exciting, to have one group member simply load his group into his wagon and let them either AFK quick or talk amongst themselves. Think of it as a much more dynamic /follow from Everquest

8) /rope was one of the best VG options I've seen in an MMORPG. But building off of that maybe a /ladder or perhaps an actual ladder item would be incredible to see. (Crushbone comes to mind specifically) Let that rogue stealth off into the throne room. Have the rest of the group sneak around the back wall, get a ladder lowered down from the window and climb up into the throne room instead of brute forcing their way in...

Just some ideas!

This post was edited by Furor at October 22, 2015 6:44 AM PDT
    • 610 posts
    October 22, 2015 6:42 AM PDT

Angrykiz said:

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

Yeah, have to agree with this

Sorry dont care to have just another lobby room mmo, too many already out there...

and by the Pantheon just because Terminus is a mash up of different planes please dont make it some silly mashup of fantasy and sci-fi or futuristic milieus.

lasers, guns, trains, cars and things of that sort just no no no no no no

Edit: Character cast speed buffs (sow) and character cast summon spells (CoH) are also 100% fine!

This post was edited by Sevens at October 22, 2015 6:44 AM PDT
    • 578 posts
    October 22, 2015 10:49 AM PDT

Rallyd said:

Happytrees said:

NoobieDoo said:

This is what I thought Pantheon was all about, seeing a fast travel thread that wasn't entirely about how bad it is makes me wonder how many of you actually know what kind of game you're backing?

I know exactly what kind of game I'm backing but I'd bet my entire savings that fast travel WILL be in game at some point of its life. Just because the devs say they want players to explore and that they don't want fast travel in the game IT. ALWAYS. HAPPENS. It's been said before and it has been done before every single time. I don't remember the last MMO I played that didn't have fast travel. So why you guys sit here and question us who are discussing other ideas you should question the devs if they can REALLY pull off not having fast travel in the game. Sorry if I'm coming off as rude but asking if I know what kind of game I'm backing insults my intelligence. I don't want fast travel in the game but I see its inevitability and would like to head it off at the pass.

edit. And maybe you should check into the game your backing because Brad has already stated he leans towards fast traveling if it is unavoidable. Which to me says there are situations they are deeming worthy of fast travel already. If they can not devise a method of connecting people in a timely manner under these situations then cities will have portals for fast travel. Or even as Brad said himself giving players a "1 time clickie that ports you to your friends". At least a train wouldn't get you to your friends instantly...

This post was edited by NoobieDoo at October 22, 2015 12:14 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    October 22, 2015 10:50 AM PDT

Angrykiz said:

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

I'm sure you will be disappointed then.

• 578 posts
    October 22, 2015 10:57 AM PDT

Sevens said:

Angrykiz said:

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

Sorry dont care to have just another lobby room mmo, too many already out there...

and by the Pantheon just because Terminus is a mash up of different planes please dont make it some silly mashup of fantasy and sci-fi or futuristic milieus.

Edit: Character cast speed buffs (sow) and character cast summon spells (CoH) are also 100% fine!

I don't want science fiction either. Trains are not science fiction lol. I don't know why this keeps coming up. Trains have been around for ages and yes trains today are ran with advanced technology but back in the day they were very crude. And it doesn't break immersion. Gnomes and dwarves have ALWAYS revolved around technology, and have always had gadgets and gizmos and artifacts that utilized technology. One of VG's bosses was a friggin computer.

• 430 posts
    October 22, 2015 11:19 AM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

Sevens said:

Angrykiz said:

Thanks in advance,

Kiz~

I don't want science fiction either. Trains are not science fiction lol. I don't know why this keeps coming up. Trains have been around for ages and yes trains today are ran with advanced technology but back in the day they were very crude. And it doesn't break immersion. Gnomes and dwarves have ALWAYS revolved around technology, and have always had gadgets and gizmos and artifacts that utilized technology. One of VG's bosses was a friggin computer.

perhaps sci fi was not accurate but trains are more of a western frontier or even steampunk but not good ole fantasy with dragons or rangers hiding out in trees :) wizards appearing out of thin air . True that gnomes and dwarves tend to surround themselves with some form of metal or technology . In fact I had that necklace from APW that turned me into this large arse robot thing . I thought it was hilarious the first click :) . I simply believe IMHO that technology should be old and not modern ( although we had railways hundred years ago does not make it ancient or old it's modern ) . having the ability for gnomes or dwarves to mine for crystals or iron for swords and craftsmanship sound realistic .  But trains ? Not so much ...As for the  issue of fast travel at some point ( even Everquest did it , many have forgotten that those books use to not be around ) .  Your also correct that APW was filled with robot things .. I found it a little much for my personal taste  ( but it did not stop me from playing ) .  Just my opinion lol 

This post was edited by Shea at October 22, 2015 11:49 AM PDT