Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Pledge Upgrades

• 37 posts
    October 15, 2015 8:26 AM PDT

I was considering upgrading my current Patron level pledge to the Pathfinder level, but you want to charge me an additional $250.00 for a total of $400.00 in order to gain the benefits of a $250.00 level pledge.  It has deterred me from pledging any more money to your project.  Both Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar allow you to upgrade based on the total amount you have pledged.  You might want to consider following their example.

• 148 posts
    October 15, 2015 8:42 AM PDT

They do need to add options to increase your pledge based on what you have already pledged, or simply allow you to add any amount you want without having to select a pledge level.

However your monthy sub total if your doing that adds up and is applied to your pledge total, and if you can select a lower tier pledge that will simply add as well - basically you get the pledge level that your total pledges add up to.

Personally I'm not that happy with the changes, as the next level tier up had something I wanted which has now been moved to a higher tier. So instead of only needing to add another $50 I now have to add another $150 if I want that one thing

This post was edited by Nailuj at October 15, 2015 8:47 AM PDT
    • 154 posts
    October 15, 2015 10:16 AM PDT

I think we might just need to be a bit patient right now as we have been for the last few months. From my understanding it is the running total that dictates the benefits at the time you get there. For example if your monthly + an one time eventually got you to apprentice developer level then you would get the apprentice developer benifits. Or at least that seemed to be the case last time we discussed this on this thread. Kilsin also talks about the moving goal post.

I know a lot of this will probably make people unhappy but that will be the case when they eventually stop the pledging system all together as well. I don't know what the offical word is right now but I would bet they don't want to cut off the extra revenue stream but as the game gets closer to production and there is more interest the value of it is probably decreasing. Seems more than likely that the team is probably using some sort of agile development approach where this is far back on the que and by the time they get there the answer will not be reformating it but just cutting off all together. With all that in mind though if we are supporting the game right now we obviously really care about it and another bonus probably isn't that big of a deal right? It would just be something nice. Just my two cent and what I personally am using to set my expectations.

• 318 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:09 AM PDT

I may be blind, but I can't seem to find the new list of all the pledge tier rewards that Kilsin talked about in his news post today. Can anyone post a link?

• 383 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:12 AM PDT

Click Join in the top right of the screen. Then look at the link below those tiers for VIP benefits. It should have all the tiers there.

This post was edited by Niien at October 15, 2015 11:12 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:10 PM PDT

In response to cram, this venture is in need of more money.  I would think the pledge system would be a priority as it would greatly improve new pledges as well as increasing the number of upgrades from early donors.  One thing I can say about Star Citizen is that their easy to use and understand crowdfunding page only helps in furthering their success.

This post was edited by Vorthanion at October 15, 2015 12:10 PM PDT
    • 378 posts
    October 15, 2015 12:45 PM PDT

I agree that we need lower one time pledges, $5, $10, $15 etc, I don't want to sign up for a sub but a don't want to drop $100 in one hit which is the lowest one off amount, but would be happy to drop $10 to $25 here and there, I really think the base $100 one off is keeping alot of people away.

• 148 posts
    October 15, 2015 1:43 PM PDT

Zandil said:

I agree that we need lower one time pledges, $5, $10, $15 etc, I don't want to sign up for a sub but a don't want to drop $100 in one hit which is the lowest one off amount, but would be happy to drop $10 to $25 here and there, I really think the base $100 one off is keeping alot of people away.

I suggested this a year ago, for the same reasons. It is good to see them put some work into the pledges but I don't like that certain bonuses have been moved way up in the pay wall. And I do realize that this gives earlier backers extra incentives however a fair warning about the changes would have been nice. Take the cloth map for example, it started at $125 on kickstarter and has moved around a bit. I have the old pledge matrix at home so can't check right now but I think the cloth map was at $250, now after these changes it's at $500. I don't have the luxury of dropping a bunch of money and seeing some of the awesome perks move farther out of reach after following this project since before kickstarter is quite saddening. In the end though I'll get to enjoy the game and that will be the real reward.

• 154 posts
    October 15, 2015 1:47 PM PDT

Vorthanion said:

In response to cram, this venture is in need of more money.  I would think the pledge system would be a priority as it would greatly improve new pledges as well as increasing the number of upgrades from early donors.  One thing I can say about Star Citizen is that their easy to use and understand crowdfunding page only helps in furthering their success.

Like I said I don't know anything and am only guessing but we have been asking about the changing role of the community for a while and the progress has been limited. We know they haven't been in a rush to recruit or push for more pledges and we know they found and angle investor, so while we don't know their financial's maybe we can guess that its not as dire as we fear. I would love to have a firmer idea of what the team views this community as, funding source, idea reseource, or just a hype machine but a lot of our concerns seem pretty low on the que if I were to guess. They seem to be doing what needs to be done which might not be pandering to us.

Edit: I also want to add that adding to the team like they have done over the last few months is probably an indication of at least a decent financial situation.

This post was edited by cram9030 at October 15, 2015 1:51 PM PDT
    • 318 posts
    October 15, 2015 5:22 PM PDT

@cram9030 Agreed. Everything points to them needing the pledge income less and less. Right now, there is zero incentive for original backers to donate more money, because if you upgrade your pledge packages you lose all of your current rewards that are no longer being offered, and take on whatever rewards are being offered at the new pledge package.

For example, if you had the $250 pledge package w/ the lifetime subscription, and you wanted to upgrade to the $500 package. You would lose a lot more than you gained, and you would be out $250 more dollars. It should favor the consumer in a situation like this, not the company imho.

• 378 posts
    October 15, 2015 5:35 PM PDT

Wellspring said:

For example, if you had the $250 pledge package w/ the lifetime subscription, and you wanted to upgrade to the $500 package. You would lose a lot more than you gained, and you would be out $250 more dollars. It should favor the consumer in a situation like this, not the company imho.

I didn't see that anywere ? kilsin said that any reward we had prior to the change we will still get, so I would assume if you pledge more and get to another tier you just add the new stuff to your list of loot. 

• 9115 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:04 PM PDT

Vorthanion said:

I was considering upgrading my current Patron level pledge to the Pathfinder level, but you want to charge me an additional $250.00 for a total of $400.00 in order to gain the benefits of a $250.00 level pledge.  It has deterred me from pledging any more money to your project.  Both Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar allow you to upgrade based on the total amount you have pledged.  You might want to consider following their example.

Yes, we have had a lot of issues trying to allow people to donate freely, which is something we are still working on and will hopefully be able to implement when we make the change to the vBulletin forums.

Currently the way we allow it to work is if your account "pool" grows to the point of being the same amount or higher than the next pledge level above your current one, we will automatically upgrade you (unless of course you do not wish to be upgraded), and to achieve this you can either start a subscription up until you reach the next pledge level or purchase another pledge that is the difference between your current pledge and the desired pledge amount. (you will not receive both pledges contents, it is just a means to add more money to your "pool" and upgrade to the higher pledge)

This is not a perfect system by any means, but it is a way for you folks to get around the clunky payment system and obtain the pledges you want until we are able to figure out a way to make this easier for you.

Just to touch on the finance questions and assumptions on what pledges and funding means to us, we would not be here in this position right now without these pledges and subscriptions, you have all helped us to this position and we are very grateful for that, we continue to see pledges and subscriptions as a very important way to help fund the development of Pantheon while we continue to actively seek an investor, so please do not think that we don't care or that pledges mean nothing to us because that assumption couldn't be further from the truth.

Your support means a lot to us and we hope that it continues as we knuckle down and continue to work hard on making this game for you all. :)

• 511 posts
    October 15, 2015 6:39 PM PDT

I had wondered about this also, what happens if we pledge to say 250 up front for the Pathfinder's Pledge and subscribe 15 a month till the game comes out. (let's say June 2017 just so we have a number) that is 21 months at 15 or 315, then add the 250 that puts us at 565, so is that cohorts pledge come release or consultants pledge come release? 

Does the 15 a month count into this at all even? If so this should also be stated on the page.

• 383 posts
    October 15, 2015 7:08 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

I had wondered about this also, what happens if we pledge to say 250 up front for the Pathfinder's Pledge and subscribe 15 a month till the game comes out. (let's say June 2017 just so we have a number) that is 21 months at 15 or 315, then add the 250 that puts us at 565, so is that cohorts pledge come release or consultants pledge come release? 

Does the 15 a month count into this at all even? If so this should also be stated on the page.

Yes as of right now if you have pledged at a lower level and have been donating into your pool of money and it adds up to a higher pledge you can qualify for that higher pledge level.

For isntance if you pledged to the Knight's Pledge for $100 and then setup a subscription for $5 a month. In 10 months you would then qualify to move up to the Patron's Pledge at $150.

• 671 posts
    October 15, 2015 8:20 PM PDT

Niien said:

Dreconic said:

Yes as of right now if you have pledged at a lower level and have been donating into your pool of money and it adds up to a higher pledge you can qualify for that higher pledge level.

For isntance if you pledged to the Knight's Pledge for $100 and then setup a subscription for $5 a month. In 10 months you would then qualify to move up to the Patron's Pledge at $150.

I have been quite vocal about trying to donate or upgrade. It has never been clearly explained until somewhat just now. I have even tried to send a personal check to a deveoper, because I find it confusing.

I am @ $150 and want to be at Origniator's Pledge of $1,000..! 

Does that mean I need to make up $850 bucks..? 

and buy Cohort's Pledge $500

and buy Pathfinder's Pledge $250

and buy Knight's Pladge $100 ... ??

?? ^^

• 383 posts
    October 15, 2015 8:54 PM PDT

Hieromonk said:

Niien said:

Dreconic said:

I have been quite vocal about trying to donate or upgrade. It has never been clearly explained until somewhat just now. I have even tried to send a personal check to a deveoper, because I find it confusing.

I am @ $150 and want to be at Origniator's Pledge of $1,000..! 

Does that mean I need to make up $850 bucks..? 

and buy Cohort's Pledge $500

and buy Pathfinder's Pledge $250

and buy Knight's Pladge $100 ... ??

?? ^^

If you would like to be at the $1,000 level and want to donate the rest of the $850 all at once, then I would just make the donations you have suggested and then that will put you at the 1,000 level.

You can also sign up for the $100 x 10 months and then just stop the donations early like I did. I'm still at the $1000 level, however I started at the $250 and just gave $100 a month until I got to the 1,000 level or the 1,050 to be exact lol.

• 671 posts
    October 15, 2015 9:23 PM PDT

I never understood or looked at the per month stuff. I do not want to make monthly payments.

What is now confusing, how do I purchase or buy Cohort's Pledge.

When I am in the "Upgrade" window, it almost makes me believe.. I am choosing what tier I will actually be able to upgrade too. Not actually buy. Perhaps I'll give it a try this weekend. Is the next teir upgrade automatic, or done by hand?

This post was edited by Hieromonk at October 15, 2015 9:27 PM PDT
    • 9115 posts
    October 15, 2015 9:31 PM PDT

Dreconic said:

I just stated it above mate, subscriptions do go towards your account "pool" and do build up over time, one of the proper ways to upgrade is by subscription, but it is slow going, especially for some of the higher pledges.

Cohort's pledge would be the upgrade at the $500 mark, but that would mean any prior bonuses in Pathfinder's would be lost and as of the date that you reach Cohort's you would receive those associated rewards, which could change many times between now and then, so it is best to upgrade fully or by larger subscriptions to reach your target pledge until we are able to implement a better solution when we switch to vBulletin.

If you have a $1/moth lifetime subscription and you upgrade to one of the pledges available now, you would lose that $1/month lifetime and everything associated with older pledge rewards, so some may not wish to upgrade.

Please keep in mind we just released this as we changed to a different forums layout, so we are still working through some issues and bugs, these things will continue to change over the next week or so.

• 9115 posts
    October 15, 2015 9:39 PM PDT

Anyone wishing to upgrade by purchasing other pledges to build their account pool, it is very important that you put a support ticket in so we are aware of it and can work with you to help you upgrade, this is by no means the best way to go about it but it is a temporary solution to allow you to upgrade now if you wish, we are looking into better options with vBulletin for when we change.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/support/

For
    anyone happy to wait, it should be a month or two until we make the switch to vBulletin and hopefully a better way to upgrade/donate! :)

• 154 posts
    October 15, 2015 9:55 PM PDT

Kilsin said:

Just to touch on the finance questions and assumptions on what pledges and funding means to us, we would not be here in this position right now without these pledges and subscriptions, you have all helped us to this position and we are very grateful for that, we continue to see pledges and subscriptions as a very important way to help fund the development of Pantheon while we continue to actively seek an investor, so please do not think that we don't care or that pledges mean nothing to us because that assumption couldn't be further from the truth.

Your support means a lot to us and we hope that it continues as we knuckle down and continue to work hard on making this game for you all. :)

I wasn't trying to insinuate you guys don't care or anything. I was more of just commenting on the typical agile sort of development approach and how things like re-doing the pledges can easily be shifted down the que. I was thinking specifically of scrum development where there is a backlog que and the task are broken down and order by importance. Everything on the que is important just the things at the top are the most important at the moment. Which you guys have made it pretty clear that the visual jump and getting a playable game have been the numero uno priority. I was also just speculating on everything else based off of experience with certain development components sometimes when you get to an item it turns out its not relevant any more sort of thing.

• 9115 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:17 PM PDT

cram9030 said:

Kilsin said:

I wasn't trying to insinuate you guys don't care or anything. I was more of just commenting on the typical agile sort of development approach and how things like re-doing the pledges can easily be shifted down the que. I was thinking specifically of scrum development where there is a backlog que and the task are broken down and order by importance. Everything on the que is important just the things at the top are the most important at the moment. Which you guys have made it pretty clear that the visual jump and getting a playable game have been the numero uno priority. I was also just speculating on everything else based off of experience with certain development components sometimes when you get to an item it turns out its not relevant any more sort of thing.

Oh I know you wouldn't have meant anything negative by it mate, you've always had a sensible approach on these forums and I respect that, but just by having finances discussed openly on the forums without any official figures or input, just opens the door to others jumping in and taking guesses, assuming things etc. which I wanted to address right away and avoid if possible, it wasn't directed at you by any means, it was just a blanket statement to try and clear it up and steer away from that type of discussion so we could get back to discussing pledges and helping anyone with issues that they may have. :)

• 7 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:31 PM PDT

A question... i have been paying 50 dollars monthly for 9 months now for the cohorts pledge.  Next month will be my last payment.  Since i am making the last payment next month will i not get the lifetime subscription benefit since technically i am hitting the 500 dollars after you switched the lifetime subs off the pledges?  Or will i still get the original cohorts pledge that i originally started paying for?  I'd honestly be sorta annoyed if i didn't get the lifetime sub after putting in that kind of money as that was one of the biggest perks of going to that kind of tier pledge.  Won't stop me from playing the game or being excited for it though ^.^

• 511 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:57 PM PDT

Asharam said:

A question... i have been paying 50 dollars monthly for 9 months now for the cohorts pledge.  Next month will be my last payment.  Since i am making the last payment next month will i not get the lifetime subscription benefit since technically i am hitting the 500 dollars after you switched the lifetime subs off the pledges?  Or will i still get the original cohorts pledge that i originally started paying for?  I'd honestly be sorta annoyed if i didn't get the lifetime sub after putting in that kind of money as that was one of the biggest perks of going to that kind of tier pledge.  Won't stop me from playing the game or being excited for it though ^.^

I hope it counts when you started it, not when you end it as you selected that one to start from. The only time it would change is if you say decided now to keep giving 50 bucks a month and went up to say consultants pledge at 600. 

I wonder how many people after hitting the money they meant, will keep sending money but not actually upgrade the tier? Not grandfathering in some of the lower tier stuff into the higher tier if someone choose to keep giving could cost VR money. I understand keeping track of it all must already be crazy confusing... 

Sadly reminds me of my cable tv provider, "OH you want to upgrade to get NFL channel, will that is in our new sports Extra package. However when you upgrade to it you will lose your sprout TV, teen nick and Disney JR." <---- yes that really happened to me, ended up paying about 35 more a month to get all the channels both my kids and I wanted :(

• 9115 posts
    October 16, 2015 2:31 AM PDT

Asharam said:

Yes, if you started the pledge payments 9 months ago you will, of course, be entitled to the rewards on offer back at that time. As I have mentioned several times now and included in the announcement, this only changes things for new people purchasing pledges, any pledge purchased prior to this announce is untouched, no one has anything to worry about, it doesn't affect you folks at all.

This is not directed at your specifically Ashram, I just want to repeat this part of my announcement again so people are clear:

"For those of you who have pledged prior to this change, the modifications are not retroactive, therefore you will still receive the rewards you initially pledged towards plus any new rewards that may have been added."

I tried to make that as clear as possible for everyone, to save any worry! :)

• 7 posts
    October 16, 2015 2:37 AM PDT

Thanks for the response, and yeah i was just asking because i wasn't sure exactly how it worked with the monthly payment tiers.  Thanks for clearing that up though : )