Forums » The Ranger

Making arrows fun to use ....

• 6 posts
    October 6, 2015 6:11 AM PDT

This was a particularly fun talent to use for PvP ... it would be cool if there was something similar in this game ... (talent Exotic Mutnition" in WoW on my hunter)

---------------------------

Incendiary Ammo

Arms your ranged weapon with exotic ammunition that lasts for 1 hour. Each autoshot deals 23% additional Fire damage to all enemies within 8 yards of the initial target.

Poisoned Ammo
    Arms your ranged weapon with exotic ammunition that lasts for 1 hour. Each autoshot deals (36.8% of Attack power) additional Nature damage over 16 sec. When this effect is refreshed, the remaining damage will be added to the new effect.

Frozen Ammo
    Arms your ranged weapon with exotic ammunition that lasts for 1 hour. Each autoshot deals 17% additional Frost damage and reduces the target's movement speed by 50% for 4 sec.

Only one exotic munition can be active at one time.

• 349 posts
    October 6, 2015 7:53 AM PDT

Rangers should have to craft arrows that are expendable if they want effects like that.

They should be expensive and each arrow shot should need to be crafted.

Just clicking a button and having that last for an hour sounds rediculous.

At lower levels especially I'd like to see Rangers mostly using dual wield slashing weapons.

At mid to higher levels when the Ranger gets more funds and can afford more arrows then the bow can start to shine.

Rangers should also be able to craft traps imo... but I suppose that's a whole thread on its own ;)

Thanks for reading,

Kiz~

• 157 posts
    October 6, 2015 10:00 AM PDT

I'd rather see rangers similar to EQ style, it was my favorite class. But hunters in WoW, sorry no thanks, never could get into them

• 357 posts
    October 7, 2015 2:36 PM PDT

I would say that the only way i would like to see something like this is if it was an enchantment given by a enchanter. allowing the enchanter to enchant the bow to give the shots fired different properties would be cool. and also promote class interdependance. or alternately if the arrow was crafted with special materials that are fairly rare and one time use. to support the cost/effect ratio maybe those arrows give dots or large burst damage depending on the type. or possibly snare arrow or something.

• 189 posts
    October 15, 2016 4:02 AM PDT

I would love to see utility arrows in Pantheon. I dont see a problem with fletchers making these kinds of tools, however I would want to see them used very selectively, so they would have to be expensive and diffucult to make and awkward to carrying.

So for instance, certain types of arrows would need help from other trades; poison, incendiary, blessings, etc could all be created by someone other than a fletcher, but the fletcher makes the final product. Each sub part could use exotic materials making them expensive and difficult to obtain.

Limiting a ranger's ability to carry lots would be accomplished by making them bulky, so for every 2 normal arrows, you could only carry 1 utility arrow. Their range would also be effected because of the extra weight involved and so could only travel, say 2/3s or even half the distance of a normal arrow.

So, given all this extra difficulty in making, carrying and using the arrows, why would you have them in your quiver? Different arrow types would be beneficial in very specific to circumstances. The idea is that they wont be used in every encounter, but could be very useful now and again.

Say your group entered a dungeon and someone triggers a trap that results in a swarm of mobs running down a tunnel towards your group. Your team mates are well rested and prepared and practiced in their arts. The support classes react quickly and manage to mez, trap and freeze the front mobs, down the tunnel a ways, temporarily and effectively blocking it. The horde behind is screaming for blood but, for now, they cannot get passed their frozen clan members.

Our ranger only has two oil filled, fire arrows in his general purpose quiver. The first is drawn and is loosed into the horde, two thirds the way back into the screaming mass. The ranger ensured that the aoe from the resulting explosion couldn't hit any of the frozen mobs. The well place arrow lands and explodes, doing significant blast damage and dot damage on all enemies in the aoe. The oil continuing to burn a long while after the explosion and adding to the misery and anger of the tunnel dwellers.

The ranger fires the second arrow at the tunnels entrance this time, again making sure that any frozen mobs is not in aoe range. A curtain of flames blast open, the heat detectable even as far back as the ranger.

In the time it has taken to loose both arrows, the rest of the team prepare for the onslaught. Beneficial spells are cast, steel is drawn, the party readies. Suddenly, one of the mobs breaks from its shackles and lunges for the party in a blood frenzied rage. The creatures behind surge forward too.

Each creature has to pass through the flaming curtain at the tunnel entrance, taking immediate heat damage and further dots. By the time the first mob is in melee range of the warrior, it is already damaged and fatigued, and is easy pickings for the metal clad fighter...

So even before the melee has been engaged, through quick reactions of the crowd control and the ranger with two well placed utility arrows, a dire situation could have just swung in favour of the party. Even though no single mob was killed by the ranger, enough damage could have been inflicted on most of the mobs that makes the rest of the fight that much easier. Instead of being overwhelmed, the party is now a well prepared battle force that has inflicted substantial tactical damage that might just be enough to save the day.

I think such tactical use of such utility arrows would not over power a ranger and would add a fight tactical elements to the bow class that would enhance game play of the entire party.

• 69 posts
    October 17, 2016 9:09 AM PDT

I like this..

EQ1 rangers rarely used bow and arrow because they could use spells and 1handers/2handers.. if rangers lost some of the spell utility and those effects were instead imbued to arrows or bows, the class would be more specialized/unique and gameplay would have more appeal.

These special arrows or bows probably dont need to weigh more or have high crafting cost.  Lets not give them to rangers as a primary attribute and then make them burdensome to use.. so long as they are only craftable by skilled rangers, thats good enough.

• 456 posts
    November 3, 2016 2:11 PM PDT

EQ1 rangers rarely used bow and arrow because they could use spells and 1handers/2handers..

I think it was more that bows in EQ, until Luclin/PoP and up, were completely worthless as dps

• 3205 posts
    November 8, 2016 1:02 PM PST

I think it makes more sense that the enchantment be on the arrows rather than the bows. Whether that be that they are dipped in poison or have an enchanter cast a spell on a stack of ammo, giving it bonus fire damage. And these things would take some time so they wouldn't really be able to be done mid-combat. VR has expressed the importance of being prepared for an upcoming fight as far as what weapons you bring. So the bow itself should really only affect range, power (damage), accuracy (to hit and/or crit), and maybe other miscellaneous stats like Wisdom in some cases. It shouldn't be as simple as pressing a button and instantly completely changing the type of damage you're doing.

WoW was successful because it catered to convenience. That is not what Pantheon is about. As such, I would be very disappointed to see abilities copy/pasted from WoW.

This post was edited by Bazgrim at November 8, 2016 1:42 PM PST
    • 456 posts
    November 8, 2016 1:33 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

I think it makes more sense that the enchantment be on the arrows rather than the bows. Whether that be that they are dipped in poison or have an enchanter cast a spell on a stack of ammo, giving it bonus fire damage. And these things would take some time so they wouldn't really be able to be done mid-combat. VR has expressed the importance of being prepared for an upcoming fight as far as what weapons you bring. So the bow itself should really only affect range, power (damage), accuracy (to hit and/or crit), and maybe other miscellaneous stats like Wisdom in some cases and it shouldn't be as simple as pressing a button and instantly completely change the type of damage you're doing.

WoW was successful because it catered to convenience. That is not what Pantheon is about. As such, I would be very disappointed to see abilities copy/pasted from WoW.

Couldn't agree more. I would love to see a couple different ways of making this happen. Applying poison/fire oil/etc at time of crafting the arrow OR if you are lucky enough to have a chanter in group hand them a stack of arrows and let them enchant them (which would have a nice long cast time and maye cost a reagent) so that if I forget my special arrows or we move camps and I just so happen to not have the right damage type I can still prepare in the field. Being able to carry several different arrow types and swap them out as needed (pre-craft 2000 arrows half poison half fire and swap between each type in the field) would be very very awesome.

• 100 posts
    December 9, 2016 10:10 PM PST

Everquest palyed around with adding effects to arrow shots.  These were in the form of buffs that cost mana continually for effects of fire, frost, and poison.  Needless to say, this was and still is not a hit with the ranger community in EQ and no one uses them.  The mana drainage is insane for the minimal DPS increase.

I love the idea of being able to craft special arrows that have guaranteed effects on hit, but there needs to be a way we can switch out arrows on the fly so that we don't accidentially continue to use them when we are doing normal damage.

Also, if we are going to need a container (quiver) to hold all these normal and special arrows, please don't make us lose an inventory/bag slot to carry our ammunition. If the container can hold more than ammo, then good.  Also using the weight reduction on quivers as bow haste, like EQ does, should not be in this game.  That's a silly mechanic to obtain a very specific haste and it rendered all rangers having to be 1 bag slot less than anyone just to be able to shoot their bow faster.  Just my 2 coppers.

• 326 posts
    November 5, 2017 5:33 AM PST

ok, I did not find this and this felt like the spot to post it:

Kelenin sugested this ability : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc_z4a00cCQ

• 122 posts
    November 5, 2017 6:59 AM PST

Given all of the environmental climates and diversity in mob armor (requiring different styles of weapons etc), I think it'd make a lot of sense to have elements of various kinds added to our arrows and is a great idea. I don't know what the best way to go about it, but I'm with you here. 

• 77 posts
    January 5, 2018 10:21 AM PST

I would also like fletching ability for the ranger, using special arrows as ammo is more exciting than always using regular ammo or using a cooldown skill, which has never sounded true to me. It's like : "oh i already shot my only special arrow. Let me make another one in 20 seconds with no materials needed while i'm fighting same time".

So i'm 100% for a special ammo crafting section and arrows to carry around, with emcumbrance to consider. The only special arrows using a cooldown should have a reason to be so, like an overbended shot, or a magical arrow of any kind.

But an explosive arrow, for instance, should be crafted, not casted. Why even enchant an arrow to be explosive ? Why not make it before combat, and wait to have a target to decide and spend combat time for your arrow to be explosive ? And why not throw a fireball in the first place instead being given you are casting a spell to make an explosion in the end ? Also rangers are not arcane mages or enchanters.

This post was edited by Gideon at January 5, 2018 10:51 AM PST
    • 429 posts
    January 6, 2018 7:55 AM PST

If you make rangers into wizard counterparts as ranged physical glass cannons I see no problem giving this level of utility. It's probably a cool idea especially if you give them the unique effects of each element/poison. Come to think of it, it totally makes sense that rangers should be as good at poisons as rogues....

I disagree with fleching/arrow money sinks for rangers simply because other classes do not have similar money sinks. Rangers attack with (and break) their bow and then also buy arrows...warriors attack with (and break) their sword and also....what? It's just not balanced to make fighting as one class more expensive than another.

• 3205 posts
    January 6, 2018 8:18 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

I disagree with fleching/arrow money sinks for rangers simply because other classes do not have similar money sinks. Rangers attack with (and break) their bow and then also buy arrows...warriors attack with (and break) their sword and also....what? It's just not balanced to make fighting as one class more expensive than another.

...Unless that class also does more damage and is just more effective in combat. It's essentially another form of high risk/high reward.

You could also argue that Warriors are more likely to have their armor damaged in addition to their weapons (and therefore have to repair more) because they're up in the thick of battle, while Rangers will likely not have their armor damaged if they're fighting from a distance. Although that's kinda getting ahead of myself because so far, all signs point to their not being item degradation in Pantheon. But my original point still stands - if a class is more expensive to play, the payoff must be equally more. You can kinda think of it like a spell reagent.

• 429 posts
    January 6, 2018 8:59 AM PST

Bazgrim said:

...Unless that class also does more damage and is just more effective in combat. It's essentially another form of high risk/high reward.

You could also argue that Warriors are more likely to have their armor damaged in addition to their weapons (and therefore have to repair more) because they're up in the thick of battle, while Rangers will likely not have their armor damaged if they're fighting from a distance. Although that's kinda getting ahead of myself because so far, all signs point to their not being item degradation in Pantheon. But my original point still stands - if a class is more expensive to play, the payoff must be equally more. You can kinda think of it like a spell reagent.

Oh I see what you are saying. The issue here for me is pretty simple, however:

Battle is going to be balanced around players being the best they can be, meaning that rich rangers would become the norm if wealth (buying or making fancy arrows) was how rangers reached their full potential.

If you make rangers use wealth to reach their full battle potential, then ALL other classes should have to do the same, so that rangers aren't singled out as a class who needs rich friends.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at January 6, 2018 9:11 AM PST
    • 77 posts
    January 13, 2018 8:47 AM PST

I'm also in favor of a crafting system for several weapons. I personnally intend to play as a rogue, and i would also like to be able to craft traps using some gold costing materials. I think all classes should have some gold involved in fighting. I'm a bit disappointed by the "all cooldown skills / indestructible equipment" most nowadays games have, it really feels too easy and weird. I'd like to see special arrows for the ranger to craft, but i'm also 100% in favor of equivalent content system for all classes.

• 242 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:33 AM PST

Gideon said:

I'm also in favor of a crafting system for several weapons. I personnally intend to play as a rogue, and i would also like to be able to craft traps using some gold costing materials. I think all classes should have some gold involved in fighting. I'm a bit disappointed by the "all cooldown skills / indestructible equipment" most nowadays games have, it really feels too easy and weird. I'd like to see special arrows for the ranger to craft, but i'm also 100% in favor of equivalent content system for all classes.

Not trying to discard you, but eq as a classic mmo was built around indestructible gear. UO had fully destructible items that were... highly frustrating sometimes.. especially when you end naked in the middle of a dungeon.

• 467 posts
    January 13, 2018 9:45 AM PST

I hope they properly implement quivers so that you're not carrying arrows in your backpack.  Some games have cosmetic quivers, but there's no corresponding functionality in the inventory/ammo system.  You should be able to store your arrows in a quiver so you can easily see what your ammo situation is.   I think the type of shot (frozen/fire/etc) should then be a matter of putting the corresponding arrow type first in your quiver.

Given the rate that rangers would go through arrows, the ammo stacks should be deep.