Forums » The Gnomes

The New Gnomes

• 246 posts
    February 18, 2018 8:01 PM PST
    @Suterian my question is: would you be equally excited if they had called them Djinn?
    • 88 posts
    February 19, 2018 10:29 AM PST

@Shai Indeed I believe so.  

Something about this raceand their back story really makes me like them and want to learn more and bea part of it. 

I guess I could care less what name they are given, I like their story

• 246 posts
    February 19, 2018 11:32 AM PST

@Suterian, me too.  They might even be my current favorite.  I just wish I could get over the dumb name.  It detracts from the race and is completely unneccessary.

• 1073 posts
    February 19, 2018 11:44 AM PST

Shai said: @Suterian my question is: would you be equally excited if they had called them Djinn?

I wish they would have.  Djinn seems much more appropriate.  As a long time gnome player  these don't seem like gnomes to me.  They are the one race I will be avoiding regardless of their stats/abilities.  I would be 100% more in favor of this race, and much more likely to play it, if they had been named Djinn or something else but...that's not what a Gnome is, regardless of what you name it.  Just because you call a tree a television doesn't actually make it a TV.

I enjoy variations on races in different games but this has gone way to far.  Not a Gnome.

This post was edited by philo at February 19, 2018 11:53 AM PST
    • 522 posts
    February 27, 2018 6:46 AM PST

philo said:

Shai said: @Suterian my question is: would you be equally excited if they had called them Djinn?

I wish they would have.  Djinn seems much more appropriate.  As a long time gnome player  these don't seem like gnomes to me.  They are the one race I will be avoiding regardless of their stats/abilities.  I would be 100% more in favor of this race, and much more likely to play it, if they had been named Djinn or something else but...that's not what a Gnome is, regardless of what you name it.  Just because you call a tree a television doesn't actually make it a TV.

I enjoy variations on races in different games but this has gone way to far.  Not a Gnome.

I've mentioned this somewhere before but feel the need to mention it again. Gnomes, before they gained their current form ,were extremely typical gnomes. Smarts, greed for arcane power, etc.

Gnomes happened to need to change their form to survive. Should they then change the name of the entire gnome race, despite still having the same souls, culture, and history?

My own answer is no. Imagine an RL future where humans figure out how to become more machine than flesh. Do you really think there wouldn't be a majority group of androids who insist on continuing to call themselves human?

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at February 27, 2018 6:49 AM PST
    • 3814 posts
    February 27, 2018 7:48 AM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

philo said:

I've mentioned this somewhere before but feel the need to mention it again. Gnomes, before they gained their current form ,were extremely typical gnomes. Smarts, greed for arcane power, etc.

Gnomes happened to need to change their form to survive. Should they then change the name of the entire gnome race, despite still having the same souls, culture, and history?

My own answer is no. Imagine an RL future where humans figure out how to become more machine than flesh. Do you really think there wouldn't be a majority group of androids who insist on continuing to call themselves human?

I agree - I think that's a good explanation. When you really boil it down, Gnomes in Pantheon still share some of the most iconic traits of traditional gnomes, namely: curiosity and an endless need to tinker and manipulate things to see what happens. Gnomes in Pantheon are simply a logical projection of what would happen if the traditional gnome took that value to the extreme, and to a fault. I think the reasoning and conclusion is still sound. There's more to it than just appearance.

"Djinn" make even less sense imo. Traditionally, a djinn is a mystical spirit that inhabits and controls the body of a human or animal. Although most people would probably think of something more like a genie in a bottle. Neither fit the lore of the Gnomes in Terminus.

• 246 posts
    February 27, 2018 8:32 AM PST

Heh, Baz you're totally allowed to like gnomes but come on man...  Djinn don't make sense?

Bazgrim said:

...a djinn is a mystical spirit that inhabits and controls the body of a human or animal...a genie in a bottle.

Gnomes are souls without physical form that possess a Maq'esh.

I think there's more than a passing similarity.  Just sayin'

• 285 posts
    February 27, 2018 3:22 PM PST

Gnomes = very small old men (LMAO )

Seems the gnomes in pantheon are not only small but old ?  

Djinn any class of spirit human or animal .

Well Pantheon Gnomes fit the definition of gnomes far better IMHO .

The pantheon gnomes are neither animal nor spirites i see the body although slighty furturistic its a body :) they are of ancient times so must therefor be old :) 

Seems the gnomes are as they should be .. I think they fit perfectly :) .

This post was edited by Shea at February 27, 2018 3:25 PM PST
    • 246 posts
    February 28, 2018 11:31 AM PST

Shea, I'm pretty sure you're being mischeviously provocative.  It's working, so in the best traditions of nasally-voiced bespectacled pedants:

Gnomes don't have bodies!  They're incorporeal souls possessing mineral-infused cloth wrapings that they call Maq'esh.

I can't even figure out why they're small!

Seriously, I don't know why I can't let this go...  somebody help me...

This post was edited by Shai at March 1, 2018 12:33 PM PST
    • 1073 posts
    February 28, 2018 5:15 PM PST

BeaverBiscuit said:

philo said:

We don't judge what a thing is based on its "soul".  A caterpillar turns into a butterfly...not a caterpillar with wings.  To use your example :

Imagine an RL future where humans figure out how to become more machine than flesh. Do you really think there wouldn't be a majority group of androids who insist on continuing to call themselves human?

We have a word for that...Cyborg.  Just because a robot wants to be 100% human doesn't make it true. 

Obviously.  Gollum used to be a Hobbit.  He is indicernable from a hobbit in his current form so you don't refer to him as one.  "You were not so very different from a Hobbit once."  Is a proper assessment.  The same could be said about these gnomes.

Its such a basic concept I'm having trouble fathoming how someone could think that a thing could be completely different and still be the same thing?  It's a new, completely different, thing...that at one point was something else.  They aren't the same.

Assigning new language to a thing that has changed so much that it is indistinguishable from its old form is useful and happens often.

Still not a gnome...

• 522 posts
    March 1, 2018 5:53 AM PST

philo said:

BeaverBiscuit said:

philo said:

We don't judge what a thing is based on its "soul".  A caterpillar turns into a butterfly...not a caterpillar with wings.  To use your example :

Imagine an RL future where humans figure out how to become more machine than flesh. Do you really think there wouldn't be a majority group of androids who insist on continuing to call themselves human?

We have a word for that...Cyborg.  Just because a robot wants to be 100% human doesn't make it true. 

Obviously.  Gollum used to be a Hobbit.  He is indicernable from a hobbit in his current form so you don't refer to him as one.  "You were not so very different from a Hobbit once."  Is a proper assessment.  The same could be said about these gnomes.

Its such a basic concept I'm having trouble fathoming how someone could think that a thing could be completely different and still be the same thing?  It's a new, completely different, thing...that at one point was something else.  They aren't the same.

Assigning new language to a thing that has changed so much that it is indistinguishable from its old form is useful and happens often.

Still not a gnome...

Gollum is a single being, who changed to become radically different than the other surviving members of his race. The situation is completely different because there are still plenty of living normal hobbits to weigh him against. In addition, Gollum's culture and morals changed radically, making him not even care about being called a hobbit for a very long time. 

Pantheon gnomes are exactly like all other surviving gnomes in their world. Their culture has NOT radically changed in the same way as Elves->Uruk-hai, or Hobbit->Gollum. If they want to be called gnomes, there is noone in their world who knows enough about "traditional" gnomes to dispute them.

If an entire species evolves together, without leaving any "normal members" behind, then it creates a highly unique situation, particularly when the members of that species are intellectually superior enough to coherently name themselves. This can't be compared to catterpillars and butterflies. 

The current gnomes either consider what's "inside" to dictate their race, or they just continue calling themselves gnomes for simplicity's sake. There's probably a few other possibilities here too. 

Finally, the humans who became cyborgs would probably not want to be called cyborgs, and as long as others were politically correct and called them humans, then these cyborgs would BE humans. At least as far as what they are called by the majority of people, and in professional writing. This is especially true if most or all humans had also become cyborgs (remember: ALL gnomes take their current shape).

Perhaps Pantheon will have a politically incorrect minority who calls gnomes something else, but again, noone in that world knows enough about the "correct" physical form of a gnome to likely bother.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at March 1, 2018 6:11 AM PST
    • 1073 posts
    March 1, 2018 9:49 AM PST

@Shai: maybe wisp, or something similar, would be a more accurate title than Djinn?

@Beaver: I was going to respond to each point beaver, but I cut it all out. Its getting way off topic responding to my hypothetical examples. 

I'll simply say you make a lot of assumptions...about gnome culture and morals and how they feel/think.  The majority of your post is speculation not based on any facts that we have received in the lore.  But the thing is, none of that matters.

It's not about what "the gnomes" want to call themselves. This: " the members of that species are intellectually superior enough to coherently name themselves. "  has nothing to do with anything.

We, as players in the real world, have hundreds or thousands of references to gnomes.  When you stray so far from what we know as a gnome, it is logical that we will want it to be called a different name.  To call it something it is not is silly. 

I agree with this half of this statement:

Perhaps Pantheon will have a...minority who calls gnomes something else,

Those people will be part of the player base.

But I disagree with this half:

but again, noone in that world knows enough about the "correct" physical form of a gnome to likely bother.

Every single person knows about the correct physical form of a gnome.

This post was edited by philo at March 1, 2018 3:53 PM PST
    • 29 posts
    April 29, 2018 4:38 PM PDT

Regarding the New Gnomes of Pantheon:

The concept is highly creative, but it does not appeal to me and here is why.

The history provided is well written and highly interesting. The aesthetic and technical execution of the fiction is excellent. The style and look of the gnomes is great! Even the metaphysical nature of their bodies is fine, but bear with me and read on.

I think what has been overlooked here is that Gnomes have a kind of cult following. They hold an old and tender place in the hearts of many fans of folklore and fantasy fiction. They are the wee-people of our real world ancient traditions. There are real folks stories, poems, myths and legends about these creatures, and as such they are inherently of the very same story-world as humans. I don’t mean they are real, I mean they hold a shared folk mythos as that of humans. And here-in rests the problem for me.

Gnomes as aliens; Gnomes just can’t be aliens. They are weirdly (psychologically) a part of humanity. A moral allegory for the curious part of our beings; how can they be aliens? It seems so wrong to me.

How to fix this, without losing the excellent craftsmanship of lore already invested.

Like this:

Lets say the Gnomes did not fly in a magic castle from distant Stormona (the world where they mined into, and then had to escape from). Instead let us say that in the most ancient of antiquity they mined into the world where Pantheon takes place, and became trapped (of their own devices). They then had to devise a way to escape from this vast and secret underground world. Returning to the surface, with the amazing opus magnum of Skyhold!

In this way, they stay a part of the human story-world (Terminus) and so... are not aliens.

It is just my feedback. I love all that you have done aesthetically and from a linguistic point of view. Keep up the great work!

Thanks!

This post was edited by Finbar at April 29, 2018 8:22 PM PDT
    • 522 posts
    April 30, 2018 7:11 AM PDT

philo said:

snip

I get what you are saying, the playerbase knows what gnomes are and these aren't what gnomes are.

What I'm saying is these ma'qesh souls USED to be gnomes, recently. They, therefore, DO know what real gnomes are. 

Hence why I make points about intellectual beings choosing their own name when noone around them knows better.

Gnomes know what real gnomes are, and yet they still chose to continue calling themselves gnomes even after their change of body. Their culture has not yet changed so significantly from their gnome times that they have felt a majority opinion necessity to change their name. 

I have drawn similarities between this and how cyborg humans would still probably wish to be called humans despite their change of body. I find it realistic, therefore, that at least for a few expansions, these not-so gnomes still insist on calling themselves gnomes, be it moral identity reasons, simplicity on their part (changing the name of your whole race is a big deal), or otherwise.

Basically, by lore, for whatever reasons-be it the ones I gave or not, these gnomes know they are no longer traditional gnomes and yet choose to call themselves gnomes. I assume VR DOES have some lore reason for this, and until they announce otherwise, I see no reason to change the name of gnomes, save it be a majority of the playerbase, large enough to override VR's vision, calling for it.

This post was edited by BeaverBiscuit at April 30, 2018 7:47 AM PDT
    • 29 posts
    April 30, 2018 11:27 AM PDT

-I wrote in another post on a similar topic -

"Going back for a second deeper read, I see that the specifics of the arrival on Terminus are really and truly vague (intentionally so). And the level of godly magic at play is truly on a cosmically epic scale.

I was off mark to assume, simple aliens in starships. The story of these migrations to Terminus is not one of current times, it is set in the ancient of ancient times, before the forming of the world itself (as it is now) it seems.

I misunderstood because I read first the story of the races, prior to reading the story of the world."

--------

These are not UUS Skyhold (Enterprise Spaceship) Gnomes...these are Gnomes brought to Terminus in an ancient era, by the gods. This is more a myth, than a fact. Which is a much easier pill to swallow. 

• 33 posts
    May 6, 2018 12:17 PM PDT

To play Devil's Advocate, I would refer to the bewildering variety of Trolls. In Tolkein's world they are humongous, evil critters that turn to stone in daylight. In Arendell's hills they are friendlylittle rock-people. Not even going to discuss WoW's carribeanesque creatures...

Trolls have been everything from chaotic good to lawful evil, brilliant to dull-witted. huge to tiny. 

Terminus Gnomes are a new vision of Gnomes. Neither invalidating previous incarnations of Gnoms on other worlds nor being defined by those other definitions. I see no reasn why Gnomes from Pantheon can't be as they been presented so far.

• 1073 posts
    May 6, 2018 3:34 PM PDT

BeaverBiscuit said:

Gnomes know what real gnomes are, and yet they still chose to continue calling themselves gnomes even after their change of body. Their culture has not yet changed so significantly from their gnome times that they have felt a majority opinion necessity to change their name. 

I have drawn similarities between this and how cyborg humans would still probably wish to be called humans despite their change of body. I find it realistic, therefore, that at least for a few expansions, these not-so gnomes still insist on calling themselves gnomes, be it moral identity reasons, simplicity on their part (changing the name of your whole race is a big deal), or otherwise.

Basically, by lore, for whatever reasons-be it the ones I gave or not, these gnomes know they are no longer traditional gnomes and yet choose to call themselves gnomes. I assume VR DOES have some lore reason for this, and until they announce otherwise, I see no reason to change the name of gnomes, save it be a majority of the playerbase, large enough to override VR's vision, calling for it.

I get where you are coming from, but it's the human players that have to accept it regardless of whether there is a lore based justification.  The part about "gnomes know what gnomes are" doesn't hold any weight with me.  It's the player base who know what gnomes are that matter.  Some people will love it, some will hate it.  The one thing we can agree on is that, in their current state, they are not the gnomes that people are familiar with.  My view point has nothing to do with the lore or the history behind them.  I am simply taking them at face value.  As someone who had a gnome main in EQ with years of /played time and who has consistently played gnomes in other games, these are not gnomes to me.  I know I won't be the only one that feels that way.  They have strayed to far from what we know as gnomes.

The troll analogy above is a good one.  I probably wouldn't be accepting of trolls if they made them cutesy troll doll type characters with colored hair.  That's not a mmo Troll afaic.  It's similar in that, regardless of the name or the lore behind it, if it strays to far from what people are used to, like cutesy troll dolls, you are going to have people that disagree with the way they are presented. 

It is a fine line for the developers to walk. 

I'm of the mindset that they are better off naming a race something entirely new if they are going to stray so far from the norm.  That way you don't have to deal with preconceived notions that people have of what that race should be.

This post was edited by philo at May 6, 2018 3:50 PM PDT
    • 1194 posts
    May 6, 2018 3:51 PM PDT

While I understand some people might be tied to their classic at a point they can't accept anything else, there is a right time to let it go as well. Maining a race in most MMO don't make every mmo the duty to make it so you get comfortable back in your shoes. While change can be scary, it can bring some good too, but for this it is necessary to accept change first.

• 1073 posts
    May 6, 2018 4:35 PM PDT

MauvaisOeil said:

While I understand some people might be tied to their classic at a point they can't accept anything else, there is a right time to let it go as well. Maining a race in most MMO don't make every mmo the duty to make it so you get comfortable back in your shoes. While change can be scary, it can bring some good too, but for this it is necessary to accept change first.

That is exactly the issue.  If people have a hard time accepting a design choice in the first place because it is so different from what they know, it seems like that isn't a good starting point.  As a game designer do you really want to impliment something that people have negative feelings about from beginning and in order to accept it they have to change their view?  That's starting from behind the 8 ball.  Seems like it could have been handled better in the creation stage.

Better to design it in a way that people are more accepting of from the beginning.  Especially when the solution is as simple as a name change.

This post was edited by philo at May 6, 2018 4:37 PM PDT
    • 3091 posts
    May 6, 2018 5:09 PM PDT

I plan on playing a gnome...yes the "new age" Pantheon style gnome.   There is a whole back story on why the Pantheon gnome appears as it does.   There is a reason for the ethereal body.   :)  Why does everything have to be the same as it was 20 years ago?  :)

• 1194 posts
    May 7, 2018 1:24 AM PDT

People are simply against change baseline, as defaults are weighted first and advantages are excluded from the equation. I do not think any game designer should learn too much what do people "want" or "do not want" simply because players rarely focus on what is good for the game, but rather or their personnal preferences that can cripple the whole project. What is more important about a game as heavy as pantheon, is the coherence of the overall design.

As long as the lore writers keep the same and can stay true to their ideas, the game will follow a natural pace and flow that will be perceived throught the game. When the writers change or the game is changed due to "players apprehensiveness", it begins to crumble holes in the whole pattern. Many game did that error of listening to players too much, and ended cutting what made the game good.

I'm used to pick the lizard race when it is avaliable, which is really rare. I've played a lot of different MMO's where I just picked something else, because no lizards. Not in pantheon, from the kickstarter to now, the lizard race disappeared and heck, well, I'm fine with it. I would have loved to play one, but now it seems the skars took the line of the "trollish-lizardish-undeadish" race with a good mix of everything and I will just wait for them to be fully revealed and designed. Maybe they will please me and I will jump on them, maybe they won't and I will just play something else.

No game should ever be the advanced clone of another, like EQ2 tried to be, and considering games a different thing anew while making different choices in it, tend to make it a better experience than trying to revive the same exact moments on different games.

• 3091 posts
    May 7, 2018 4:03 PM PDT

Kytastrophe said:

To play Devil's Advocate, I would refer to the bewildering variety of Trolls. In Tolkein's world they are humongous, evil critters that turn to stone in daylight. In Arendell's hills they are friendlylittle rock-people. Not even going to discuss WoW's carribeanesque creatures...

Trolls have been everything from chaotic good to lawful evil, brilliant to dull-witted. huge to tiny. 

Terminus Gnomes are a new vision of Gnomes. Neither invalidating previous incarnations of Gnoms on other worlds nor being defined by those other definitions. I see no reasn why Gnomes from Pantheon can't be as they been presented so far.

Have to agree with you...the Pantheon gnome basically "did this to themselves"   and were lucky to survive.   I'll be playing a gnome wizard.   Looking forward to it. :)

• 3091 posts
    June 20, 2018 10:31 AM PDT

Keiparo said:

There are two types of people:

-People who never liked gnomes that like the Pantheon gnomes

-People who always liked gnomes that dislike the Pantheon gnomes

I'm in the first camp :)

I am in the first camp as well. :)

• 3091 posts
    June 20, 2018 10:33 AM PDT

philo said:

MauvaisOeil said:

That is exactly the issue.  If people have a hard time accepting a design choice in the first place because it is so different from what they know, it seems like that isn't a good starting point.  As a game designer do you really want to impliment something that people have negative feelings about from beginning and in order to accept it they have to change their view?  That's starting from behind the 8 ball.  Seems like it could have been handled better in the creation stage.

Better to design it in a way that people are more accepting of from the beginning.  Especially when the solution is as simple as a name change.

People are adaptable...Pantheon will be a new game to them.  So learn as you go.   I would prefer the lore writer's imaginative writings and game designed based upon that...rather than thousands of opinions...messing the theme up.      Remember this?   "too many chefs spoil the broth".   :)

• 446 posts
    July 2, 2018 2:56 PM PDT

Finbar said:

I think what has been overlooked here is that Gnomes have a kind of cult following. They hold an old and tender place in the hearts of many fans of folklore and fantasy fiction. They are the wee-people of our real world ancient traditions. There are real folks stories, poems, myths and legends about these creatures, and as such they are inherently of the very same story-world as humans. I don’t mean they are real, I mean they hold a shared folk mythos as that of humans. And here-in rests the problem for me.

I have already written a post in the same sense so I obviously agree .

This very thread is proof that many people really care about Gnomes in general and their trade-mark in particular . Gnomes (and in a way also Dwarves) enjoy a special status in MMOs . In EQ and even in vanilla WoW people playing Gnomes were very partial to their race and cared for their specificity  and their consistence with RL tradoitions and folklore . For example in EQ only Gnomes could tinker and it made sense ! You won't find here a thread about Dark Myr or Scars arguing that the race is inconsistent or the name misleading - nobody cares how they are called  .

I also belong to the people who played a Gnome in every MMO where they were available and I am also deeply annoyed by these sprites in Pantheon . For me they are actually so ungnomish that I will not be able to play this race .

Many already said so but it must be repeated : the players who usually play Gnomes and like Gnomes have absolutely nothing against a sprite race nor against the lore that was developped . It's creativity and as there are strange things like the Scars so why not Sprites or walking sharks or whatever idea goes through a dev's mind .

However  what I really dislike for all the good reasons already given here in different forms is to call these sprites Gnomes . Why trying contrived explanations and annoy so many people when there was a simple solution which cost nothing, can be implemented in an eye blink and wouldn't generate any polemics ? Change nothing, keep this race , its culture and lore as is, call them Sprites but just do NOT call them Gnomes .

How difficult could that be ?