Forums » Fan Fiction

What sort of fan fiction would people prefer?

• 20 posts
    October 1, 2015 3:59 AM PDT

I enjoy writing and creating things for settings and enviroments i find interesting. One of my motivations for joining the forums and pledging was to be able to discuss these things with the developers as well as other members. The lore that's been created for this game so far is awesome, and it motivates me to start "sketching", in the way of writing. But there are still some limits to what we know - quite a lot of limits actually. I also don't want to try to write anything too..."important." Kings and queens. Lords. Dragons. No. My writing should, out of necessity and given the game's current stage, be on a more personal level. Perhaps showcasing the lives of the common people of say, Thronefast. Showing off core concepts that have been confirmed.

My initial idea is to write a story wherein the concept of grouping/dependancy is showcased. Friend/companionship in adventuring, introducing in a way (from a fan perspective) the races of human, gnome, elves and dwarves. Describing, in my interpretation, the setting of Thronefast and surrounding areas from what i can garner from what exists thus far.

I realize of course that the game is still in the very early stages. Most of anything regarding the setting might not even be in it's inception as of yet.

Still, good writing, much like good art and good visual is what draws a certain kind of people to a game. Like me. I'm currently looking at about 14 pages worth of an initial chapter of a story that i've sketched out over the past two days. I love what's been written as far as lore goes and if i can contribute in some small way with none-to-terrible fan fiction, i'd love that.

I welcome any input from members as to what you'd like to see featured. If one of the individuals more in charge (such as someone responsible for lore) wants to voice some opinions and/or wishes, that'd be more than welcome as well. It can be anything from degree of violence/PG-rating to something more general, like length/subject matter Additionally, when published, i welcome any input from those in charge of lore as to what i've interpreted incorrectly. My ambition is something along the lines of the EQN-ebooks that have been published, though this is of course only fan fiction.

Feel free to hit me up in this thread or via private message with ideas/suggestions. After all, the possibilities for fantasy writing of this sort are infinite.

Hope you all have a wonderful day! :)

• 781 posts
    October 1, 2015 8:19 AM PDT

Sounds great Ecarion :) 

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    October 15, 2015 5:30 PM PDT

Ecarion, go for it. If you have specific questions PM me, I will try to answer them as fully as I can and will be clear when I cannot. 

• 20 posts
    October 15, 2015 11:05 PM PDT

Awesome! I'll toss you a PM when i have some questions gathered ;).

Have a great weekend everyone!

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    October 16, 2015 9:08 AM PDT

Very good. You as well.

• 179 posts
    October 16, 2015 10:16 AM PDT

Ecarion

If you ever need anybody to read your material please let me know. I've actually had the chance to read other books in-progress in the past and love reading.

• 85 posts
    October 16, 2015 9:24 PM PDT

I'm only commenting to say that I think it's awesome that you're doing this.  Looking forward to reading your stuff.  

This post was edited by Sylee at October 16, 2015 9:25 PM PDT
    • 20 posts
    October 19, 2015 12:01 AM PDT

Hey everyone, and thanks for the words of encouragement.

A question on topic i thought i would take with everyone and giving people the opportunity to reply to.

What sort of PG-rating would you prefer in fan fiction/these sorts of stories? I keep bouncing back and forth between one and the other - what's your preference?

I've written in everything from PG-13 to R as well as NC-17. I personally prefer writing for adults, but i'd still love to know what target audience is in people's minds. Given the game's target audience, i feel that NC-17 should be fine, but i'm european and liberal ;).

This post was edited by Ecarion at October 19, 2015 6:35 AM PDT
    • 511 posts
    October 19, 2015 10:47 AM PDT

Ecarion, I sent you a private message. The site does not currently tell you when you get a new one but if you click on messages towards the top you should see it.

• VR Staff
    • 246 posts
    October 19, 2015 11:25 AM PDT

Ecarion said:

Hey everyone, and thanks for the words of encouragement.

A question on topic i thought i would take with everyone and giving people the opportunity to reply to.

What sort of PG-rating would you prefer in fan fiction/these sorts of stories? I keep bouncing back and forth between one and the other - what's your preference?

I've written in everything from PG-13 to R as well as NC-17. I personally prefer writing for adults, but i'd still love to know what target audience is in people's minds. Given the game's target audience, i feel that NC-17 should be fine, but i'm european and liberal ;).

Ecarion, in order to keep your audience in line with our audience, I would suggest a PG-13 rating. I don't know that we've set it officially on the forums, but that will be the standard of our lore.

• 20 posts
    October 19, 2015 11:35 AM PDT

Istuulamae said:

Ecarion, in order to keep your audience in line with our audience, I would suggest a PG-13 rating. I don't know that we've set it officially on the forums, but that will be the standard of our lore.

Hey!

Thanks for the response - i'll definitely keep it in mind while typing away. Of course management will have a say as to what goes and what doesn't go in!

Also, Dreconic, got your message and replied as well :). Thanks for the notice!

This post was edited by Ecarion at October 19, 2015 11:39 AM PDT
    • 179 posts
    November 5, 2015 3:36 PM PST

I think between PG-13 and NC-17 would be fine. This is an adult game and even if some kids are between the ages of 13-16 they will hear/read worse things in game then you will probably create.

• 17 posts
    November 18, 2015 9:27 PM PST

Hey, why not set up a RP forum for such a task? Let the people play a part and you get to choose what material to incorporate into your story. You get free material, win win situation.

This post was edited by JudgeFudge at November 18, 2015 9:28 PM PST
    • 149 posts
    November 19, 2015 12:22 PM PST

I am a huge lore nut! One of the things I find lacking in alot of MMOs is the lack of stories to find from around the web. As much as people might not like them, I loved the books written for World of Warcraft because it was a way for me to bring the world with me when I wasn't in game!