Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Question for Brad and the rest of the dev team

• 87 posts
    September 18, 2015 5:21 PM PDT

Would you ever visit with guilds in Vent/TS/Mumble or just in raid or guild chat while they attempted a raid mob/dungeon? Just to say hi, just wanna watch you guys, nevermind me. Like the principal at my elementary school would do sometimes. Perhaps not every guild, but like the top 3 or 4 on the server. Or HAVE you done this in the past? I'm sure its been done covertly before.

• 9115 posts
    September 18, 2015 5:44 PM PDT

I have been part of guilds that have had Devs jump in to watch us and join us in Vent/TS3, it happened a lot in VG too. It's mainly for feedback or to watch an issue we have in real time or to figure out how we beat an encounter that was supposed to be harder than they thought it was lol

• 318 posts
    September 18, 2015 5:50 PM PDT
    Keiiek said:

Would you ever visit with guilds in Vent/TS/Mumble or just in raid or guild chat while they attempted a raid mob/dungeon? Just to say hi, just wanna watch you guys, nevermind me. Like the principal at my elementary school would do sometimes. Perhaps not every guild, but like the top 3 or 4 on the server. Or HAVE you done this in the past? I'm sure its been done covertly before.

Wait, your elementary school principal would visit your guilds Vent? What kind of school did you go to? :P

• 87 posts
    September 18, 2015 7:20 PM PDT

Lol, you know what i mean! of course now we recognize it as "performance review". (edited for bad spelling) Guess what my teacher's performance review looked like ;)

This post was edited by Keiiek at September 18, 2015 8:10 PM PDT
    • 578 posts
    September 18, 2015 8:59 PM PDT

I can say from past experience that out of ALL the MMOs that I've played, Brad and Co. get the most involved with their community in game and out. Hanging out in vent watching a guild raid probably won't happen too often but I ran into devs a whole bunch in VG. Plus, it's not often you see a lead designer or creative lead or someone high on the food chain respond to random posts on the internet but I've seen Brad respond to people on external websites that have no affiliation with his company.

• 180 posts
    September 19, 2015 2:48 AM PDT

It's probably a great source for the developers to learn how guilds take on a raid challenge. This information could be used later on for new encounters.

• 338 posts
    September 19, 2015 5:37 AM PDT

Early in EQ1 when Plane of Hate first launched we spent days with the devs up there trying to figure out why the pathing and training was so terrible. A lot of it ended up being agro off the second floor mobs and we helped them figure out which mobs were the problems.

In Vanguard as Kilsin said we had devs jump in for raids quite frequently to make sure mechanics were working and to test out multi part events.

I'm sure these developers will be no different in working hand in hand with the players to make the best game possible.

Thanks,

Kiz~

This post was edited by Angrykiz at September 19, 2015 5:42 AM PDT
    • 51 posts
    September 19, 2015 3:44 PM PDT

In both EQ and VG I met the GM of my server and in VG we actually talked on a few occasions. That's never happened to me in any other MMO I've played. In both instances it made me feel like I was playing a massive online PnP game and there were just so many players that you usually don't get to interact with the GM one on one. And it should feel that way because that's exactly what an MMO is!

That's another nuance of what made the classic MMOs great that has been lost over the years. It's understandable that it could happen in a game with millions of subscribers, but there are a lot of smaller player bases that have no contact with the people running the game for them. Come to think of it, EQ and VG are the only games I've played where I even knew the name of my server's GM. It's such a shame that that's been lost.

I remember in EQ once the GM appeared in disguise and gave my group a little quest. It was nothing groundbreaking but it was fun and it made our day. There were occasional surprise events like certain mobs running wild all over a particular zone or invading a city. Just about every night I would see at least one guide hanging out in the EC tunnel chatting with people. And I saw the GM at least once a week. It was a constant reminder that there are people working behind the scenes to give us the game we're playing.

Having some level of interaction between GM and players is important imo. Without the transparency between GM and players, it's not that PnP experience anymore. It's just... a video game.

• 610 posts
    September 20, 2015 6:03 AM PDT

I understand that devs watching the upper guilds complete raids might be able to glean some info from it...my problem is though that it also helps establish the uber guild raiders "were better than you" mentality...look at how many times the devs in EQ were busted doing things against the rules to help guilds they had become buddy buddy with...Giving guilds strats to beat raids, Transfering whole guilds off Test server (which wasnt suppose to be allowed) things of that nature. I dont know I am just trying to see the downside to something like this as well as upside.

• 107 posts
    September 20, 2015 11:19 AM PDT

Hell, half the fun of playing is the guild "we are better than you" competition. Well, for me at least.

• 63 posts
    September 21, 2015 9:10 AM PDT

I might be there in the raid, you just might not know ;).

• 21 posts
    September 22, 2015 3:08 AM PDT

I miss DOE....=(

• 9115 posts
    September 22, 2015 3:35 AM PDT
    Argento said:

I miss DOE....=(

Me too man :(