Forums » The Bard

Who's interested

• 27 posts
    November 1, 2016 4:29 PM PDT

I'm interested in the bard so long as it's not all about buffing/debuffing. Table top bards do that but they are so much more jacks-of-all-trades masters of none. I'd really like it if the bards were the 2nd CC class.

• 324 posts
    November 2, 2016 11:59 AM PDT

Glenn33072 said:

I'm interested in the bard so long as it's not all about buffing/debuffing. Table top bards do that but they are so much more jacks-of-all-trades masters of none. I'd really like it if the bards were the 2nd CC class.

Buffs and CC/pulls are exactly what I consider a bard to be, with a little bit of junky DPS tossed in. Debuffs (beyond CC) are useful though not needed imo. By debuffs I mean slows, snares, and resist debuffs. While the slow (especially 1 min one) and resist debuff (great for pulls) were nice since it further allowed us to allow a group to go without a sham and/or enc when needed, I won't feel like I lost a major part of the bard without them.

I can't remember tons of the bard in Rift back in the day, but I do remember it just feeling off since they didn't get up in the mob's face all that often. This may be related to my years of playing an EQ bard, but regardless.

• 27 posts
    November 3, 2016 10:23 AM PDT

tanwedar said:

Glenn33072 said:

Buffs and CC/pulls are exactly what I consider a bard to be, with a little bit of junky DPS tossed in. Debuffs (beyond CC) are useful though not needed imo. By debuffs I mean slows, snares, and resist debuffs. While the slow (especially 1 min one) and resist debuff (great for pulls) were nice since it further allowed us to allow a group to go without a sham and/or enc when needed, I won't feel like I lost a major part of the bard without them.

I can't remember tons of the bard in Rift back in the day, but I do remember it just feeling off since they didn't get up in the mob's face all that often. This may be related to my years of playing an EQ bard, but regardless.

I thoroughly agree with you although I actually consider things such as slows and roots CC as they control the movement not the mind of the mob.

• 4 posts
    December 9, 2016 11:24 PM PST

Would main a bard (again) if it's along the same lines as EQ1. Raided as a bard for... many years in EQ and nothing has ever really come close to that pure fun and enjoyment.

• 1 posts
    December 16, 2016 1:18 PM PST

I would totally be intersted in playing a Bard again. I especially enjoyed using their mult-tool aspect, to include their ability to pull, debuff and CC.

• 105 posts
    December 18, 2016 10:15 PM PST

I won't be able to fully enjoy this game until I -can- be a bard. Its my main class.

• 4 posts
    December 19, 2016 2:14 AM PST

I caved in. Restarted Wystler on the Time Locked server. Having an absolute blast again.

• 1564 posts
    December 22, 2016 4:52 PM PST

As long as their are more like EQ bards and less like EQ2 bards.

• 175 posts
    December 31, 2016 11:48 AM PST

diableri said:

Would main a bard (again) if it's along the same lines as EQ1. Raided as a bard for... many years in EQ and nothing has ever really come close to that pure fun and enjoyment.

Absolutely right.  As a bard on a raid, I honestly felt like the very success or failure of the raid depended on me executing at 100% efficiency.  And the pulling....that was a RUSH!

• 324 posts
    January 5, 2017 7:53 AM PST

corpserunner said:

diableri said:

Absolutely right.  As a bard on a raid, I honestly felt like the very success or failure of the raid depended on me executing at 100% efficiency.  And the pulling....that was a RUSH!

Amen to pulling. That was honestly one of my favorite things since it set us apart even from monks later on. Raids could definitely be make/break early on because of resist buffs. When gear didn't max every stat it made every buff/song matter even more. Mana/hp... kinda a duh that it rocked especially before there was so much on gear (started in Luclin where there was a lot?).

We had mostly me, with sometimes 1 or 2 other bards, in our guild and it was kinda nice getting fought over for groups hehe.

edit: does anyone else stop by the bard forum occationally just to check for status updates? lol

This post was edited by tanwedar at January 5, 2017 7:54 AM PST
    • 1993 posts
    January 5, 2017 12:10 PM PST

I check the Bard forums everyday, before I even check the General or VIP section lol.

But to go along with the previous cuple of posts. Although my time as a Bard in XI was a bit different (mechanics). I love being the life blood of the party and one of those go to classes.

• 677 posts
    January 5, 2017 8:12 PM PST

Amsai said:

I check the Bard forums everyday, before I even check the General or VIP section lol.

But to go along with the previous cuple of posts. Although my time as a Bard in XI was a bit different (mechanics). I love being the life blood of the party and one of those go to classes.

Trust me bro, EQ and VG had the best bard classes I've ever played. VGs bard was almost as important as a tank and healer class and THE pivotal group class. OK so maybe VGs bard was possibly slightly maybe OP but it was a great class and felt damn good to be one lol. To think of it, even EQ you could find a bard in almost every group too. For some reason Brad (maybe because his name rearranged spells bard) loves to create/have powerful bard classes.

Not putting down the XI bard, just saying you are in good hands and even if the mechanics were possibly different there will be no doubt that PRFs bard will be a great add to any party.

As I typed this all out I just realized...that I really haven't played much more than a bard in years. lol So it would be kind of hard for any of my groups to not have a bard >.<

• 299 posts
    February 7, 2017 11:15 AM PST

Bards are like pizza, even if the person is only a moderate player you want him over not. I hope the Bard in Pantheon is as versatile as the EQ1 Bard was. IMO they were the class that made EQ1 teaming shine. Each class of corse was awesome but having a class that gave so much to the team and their DPS meaning so little. Really made EQ1 stand out even to this day. Come on Pantheon, dont let us Bard fans down.  

• 677 posts
    February 8, 2017 3:02 PM PST

Nanfoodle said:

Bards are like pizza, even if the person is only a moderate player you want him over not. I hope the Bard in Pantheon is as versatile as the EQ1 Bard was. IMO they were the class that made EQ1 teaming shine. Each class of corse was awesome but having a class that gave so much to the team and their DPS meaning so little. Really made EQ1 stand out even to this day. Come on Pantheon, dont let us Bard fans down.  

I feel the same way. I've played many MMOs and a handful of bards and none shined in a group like EQ and VG. A bard made a TRUE difference in those games. As it should, it's a special class which requires more thought and effort than most other classes to perform well. So the payoff should be good.

But I've played other bards in other MMOs and people just didn't seem to care if they were part of the group or not. I mained a bard in Rift and found myself wanting to play the rogue tank more because people just didn't care if they had a bard or not. Rift's bard just didn't seem to make that much of an impact.

• 11 posts
    February 20, 2017 3:20 AM PST

NoobieDoo said:

My proposal was this, give us a song book. The song book was awesome in giving us something to fiddle around with for hours and hours. Then once we are finished with our creation we save it. Then rather than just hitting a play button like we did in VG, we 'twist' a sequence of buttons akin to EQ. The key difference here is we don't have to keep twisting the entire time. The sequence can be a timing mini game where hitting the buttons perfectly on time plays the song in tune and plays it how we created it. Hitting the buttons early or late plays the notes either an octave higheer or an octave lower. This way it doesn't have to be a scenario where if you don't hit the button perfectly on time then something negative happens because you 'missed' the note. Doing it this way, we could be able to apply different effects to our songs depending on the moment/scenario. This could also allow us to create alternative songs for our original songs giving us even more things to play with and tweak. An alternative song could be if you play a specific set of notes at an octave lower then you can increase your strength/dexterity/constitution buffs but lower your resistance buffs. Or you could play a few notes higher and increase your +damage buffs but then also increase your energy drain. Then you let the song play just like you did in VG and you can now go about your other abilities. It would have a cool down timer once activated so that way you couldn't just keep starting and restarting the song until you got the exact notes the way you wanted it to or maybe even make it burn a lot of energy/mana. But the main goal is to give the class a more engaging song feature but nothing on the line of EQ where to get the best results you had to stay so engaged you barely could do much else like socialize or whatnot.

It's obviously just an idea and a very raw, crude one at that and would need lots of refining and/or just completely scrapped altogether but I too would love to see the bard song feature become engaging again. But also do not want something where we have to devote as much time as we did in EQ.

Raw or Crude I like that idea. I just want that optional as in the difference between being on my toes in a open world dungeon or kicking back grinding on mobs. The later genearly requires rote actions and gives me time to converse with guildys. 

As to Bards, 

Love Bards, My all time Favorite Class, I can survive a little bit longer without them, but havent played a proper Bard in a long long time.

Has to be Jack of All trades, but master of none.

Well doesnt have to be, but like most we are all bias towards the playstyle we got used to or enjoyed most.

Just going to be happy if they make it in game. Gimme Plate !!

• 1135 posts
    February 20, 2017 10:35 AM PST

This is by far the most active class forum, either this will be the most popular class or this class just has the most vocal minority. I want to play a bard but probably not if they are very popular as I prefer to fill more niche support classes. 

• 2549 posts
    February 20, 2017 10:52 AM PST

Iksar said:

This is by far the most active class forum, either this will be the most popular class or this class just has the most vocal minority. I want to play a bard but probably not if they are very popular as I prefer to fill more niche support classes. 

Well I would expect bards to be... vocal lol. :P Either way, I expect to play a Bard at some point, but only as an alt.

• 1135 posts
    February 20, 2017 3:54 PM PST

Bazgrim said:

Well I would expect bards to be... vocal lol. :P Either way, I expect to play a Bard at some point, but only as an alt.

Zinger! haha

• 2 posts
    April 18, 2017 7:42 PM PDT

NoobieDoo said:

EQ's bard, VG's bard, and Rift's bard have been my favorite classes AND mmos to play so far. I like the little extra gameplay and mechanics they've included with these classes. The twisting in EQ and Rift is found in no other game's classes. The song book in VG was completely different than what any other game's class has done.

Agree with this.

• 3 posts
    April 21, 2017 11:15 AM PDT

I loved EQ bard but it was murder on my fingers, I'd like to see bards done a little different in the respect that it's more finger freindly.

I'd love to see something like skills tied to notes or sequence of notes and maybe the player can build their own music based on these notes. Perhaps how often a note shows up in the melody equates to some form of percentage that this skill effects the party.

• 22 posts
    April 24, 2017 12:11 AM PDT
    I will main a bard if its primary role is controller. The DPS bard of VG was good mechanically, but just noise in the sea of DPS options.