Forums » General Pantheon Discussion

Identical First Names

• 578 posts
    February 20, 2017 10:20 PM PST

I prefer unique first names. Reputation is big in MMOs like PRF and having a unique first name really adds to that element. I'd rather create a new name because someone has already taken my intended name than have 7 Noobies running around. And you can always try to spell the name with a different spelling if it is that important to you.

Surnames are great and I'm all for them. I'm not picky on when we get to choose them though, either at character creation or we earn them at a certain level. Though earning your surname at a certain level does give you something to look forward to in game.

With saying all this, if first names were NOT unique I do like the 'alias' idea. Using your friend's list to send tells to people works fine but creating alias's would be a welcomed addition.

• 3016 posts
    February 20, 2017 11:06 PM PST

Same I prefer unique first names as well,  and I am not worried about name theft,  because most of my names are made up by me.  So unless someone can read my mind..my names are safe. :)

• 200 posts
    February 21, 2017 2:39 AM PST
    I prefer unique first names as well for the simple reason that I may not want to have surnames. I know more people who never use a surname if they can avoid it. Just thinking up a name in creation is painful enough as it is, surnames at that time only make it worse :D. Besides that, I liked how EQ did it. It was an achievement in itself and it gave you time to bond with your character and figure out what surname would be a perfect fit if you wanted one. And while not per se 'realistic' (as it would be more logical if more people shared the same name) I like the uniqueness of it. There's only one of that name on that server.

I would suggest a decent system that frees up names tho. Not on anything higher level and not on active accounts but it is a shame when level 1's reserve a name for years and years and the account has been inactive for a very long time.
    • 3852 posts
    February 21, 2017 8:02 AM PST

I have dozens of names I can happily use this won't be a big issue to me. And I tend to give "alts" made-up names based on the name of the "main" e.g. Morgana, Morgoth, Morgaine, Morebacon (just kidding).

It was nice to come into FFXIV and have any first name I wanted available because the game looked at the entire name in determing duplication so I wouldn't mind that either.

In terms of keeping names available, I would prefer a system where if an account cancels the subscription (assuming that is the model, I know it may not be) it frees up all names after 6 months or a year of not paying. It seems unfair that people not even paying any more can keep good names forever.

• 243 posts
    February 21, 2017 8:36 AM PST

dorotea said:

In terms of keeping names available, I would prefer a system where if an account cancels the subscription (assuming that is the model, I know it may not be) it frees up all names after 6 months or a year of not paying. It seems unfair that people not even paying any more can keep good names forever.

I like this idea Dorotea. 

I have a few different names that I am happy with that are ready to go for Pantheon, so if I don't get one, I am likely to get another.  I created a character in an mmo the other day just to mess around, and was shocked at how many were already taken.  And I thought I was creative.  I don't mind identical first names really, I mean, if you want to be called Legolas you sort of deserve what you get, hehe.  I think the identical first name/unique last name combo suggested is a good compromise.

This post was edited by Rominian at February 21, 2017 8:37 AM PST
    • 441 posts
    February 21, 2017 8:46 AM PST

Aradune said:

I like the way we did it in Vanguard.  You choose your first and last name.  The combination of the two have to be unique.  Then you can earn Titles and such.  Thoughts?

I would love this. It also adds to Role Playing. My wife and I like to have the same last name and RP our chars as being married as well. Would be nice to be able to change your last name for others that meet in game and wish to do this. 

• 22 posts
    February 21, 2017 8:53 AM PST

I sure as heck don't want to have to siphon through a list to /tell someone (the actual person I'm trying to talk to) if there are multiple names. I've played many games that I was unable to get Ogee but I had to suck it up and make a new name. Plus once in game and meeting up with friends and making new friends, they got to know me, and my "new name".

Also, I'm paying good money at this point to reserve Ogee upon launch, if I see a bunch of Ogee's running around....wells let's just say I'd be less then pleased.

And me personally, a title is just words to me, Ogee and the man behind the name playing him speaks more then titles. Rather people know me as a "bad ass player who knows his toon and role then "oh look that guy has a cool title".

Ogee's 2 copper

Ogee

This post was edited by Ogee at February 21, 2017 8:57 AM PST
    • 626 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:04 AM PST

Ok so I have a few thoughts on this so bare with me.

1. I like Unique names, however believe Pantheon is going to allow you to message anyone at anytime on any shard. So... If you have Unique names this means only one person in the game can have that name. Unlike WoW or other games where people can have the same name on different servers. This would greatly limit the number of names available to use and for me result is having nothing left, but mixes of random letters and such... I myself don't care for this. However moving to point 2.

2. I would like Unique Account Names, and I would like to toggle whether or not I show my Account name or Character name. So no matter what character I'm playing as long as I'm showing my Account name you would always see me as Saicred. There would be no Surname's for Account Names, but this would be required for Character Names. This would be to help seperate those Account Names from Character Names. IE - If you see Saicred standing beside Saicred Thewise. You would know one is an Account name and one a Character Name. I myself would be flattered to have a bunch of people wanting to be Saicred as well, but I would want a way to show myself as the Pantheon orginial so to speak. 

This post was edited by Reignborn at February 21, 2017 9:08 AM PST
    • 441 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:15 AM PST

Saicred said:

Ok so I have a few thoughts on this so bare with me.

1. I like Unique names, however believe Pantheon is going to allow you to message anyone at anytime on any shard. So... If you have Unique names this means only one person in the game can have that name. Unlike WoW or other games where people can have the same name on different servers. This would greatly limit the number of names available to use and for me result is having nothing left, but mixes of random letters and such... I myself don't care for this. However moving to point 2.

2. I would like Unique Account Names, and I would like to toggle whether or not I show my Account name or Character name. So no matter what character I'm playing as long as I'm showing my Account name you would always see me as Saicred. There would be no Surname's for Account Names, but this would be required for Character Names. This would be to help seperate those Account Names from Character Names. IE - If you see Saicred standing beside Saicred Thewise. You would know one is an Account name and one a Character Name. I myself would be flattered to have a bunch of people wanting to be Saicred as well, but I would want a way to show myself as the Pantheon orginial so to speak. 

Easy fix, every account gets a unique address that includes your server name. So cross server talk will still be a go and so will unique names. 

• 626 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:19 AM PST

Nanfoodle said:

Easy fix, every account gets a unique address that includes your server name. So cross server talk will still be a go and so will unique names. 

So let's say you have 50 servers with 50 characters named Nanfoodle, one on each server. You think it would be better to type /tell and see a list of 50 Nanfoodle of [Server 1 - 50], vs just seeing Nanfoodle for the Account name?

Edit: Plus thinking about the surname involved as well - Using the Account name would allow me to see if you are on even if you are on a different character. Maybe I met you on you Nanfoodle Warrior, but that was your alt you rarely get on and now your on Nanfoodle Mage. If I wanted to try to reach out to you and see if you wanted to play some more I'd have no clue how to find you vs the other 50 Nanfoodle's out there. 

This post was edited by Reignborn at February 21, 2017 9:32 AM PST
    • 441 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:41 AM PST

Saicred said:

Nanfoodle said:

So let's say you have 50 servers with 50 characters named Nanfoodle, one on each server. You think it would be better to type /tell and see a list of 50 Nanfoodle of [Server 1 - 50], vs just seeing Nanfoodle for the Account name?

Edit: Plus thinking about the surname involved as well - Using the Account name would allow me to see if you are on even if you are on a different character. Maybe I met you on you Nanfoodle Warrior, but that was your alt you rarely get on and now your on Nanfoodle Mage. If I wanted to try to reach out to you and see if you wanted to play some more I'd have no clue how to find you vs the other 50 Nanfoodle's out there. 

Simple to make that work back end. Im on my Mage "Nanfoodle Smith" and you met me on my Cleric "Nanfoodle Healsallot" When you sent a tell to /tell nanfoodle healsallot server #2: hay bub want to team. I could get a message asking if I want you to know I am on another char. If I accept your message comes though. I think friends list should work this way as well. Letting people request account level friendship or char level. 

• 626 posts
    February 21, 2017 9:43 AM PST

If you can friend an Account then I'm sure it would have an Name or ID assiocated to it. Why not just make it an Account name and allow players to choose to show that vs a Character name?

• 3237 posts
    February 21, 2017 10:30 AM PST

I would prefer to see unique first names.  As far as last names ... I would be fine using whatever system that can help compliment progeny.

• 1860 posts
    February 21, 2017 11:55 AM PST

Kilsin said:

First name had to be unique which I think is important for character reputation, in games like EQ/VG your actions within the community mattered and were remembered, so having 26 Aradunes running around would be difficult to know which one was the friendly person who helped someone in a dungeon!

I agree with Kilsin.  Having unique first names is important.  Your reputation in the community should matter and it would be watered down with non-unique first names. 

• 1618 posts
    February 21, 2017 3:21 PM PST

I prefer unique first names.

I can spend a couple years working on a good reputation as Beefcake The Mighty!

Then, some ****** comes around and creates Beefcake The Mightier!

People start screaming about Beefcake, they are not going to care too much about the last name. Pretty soon, people stop letting all Beefcakes in their group because they heard he was an ******.

Please, let first names matter.

Note: People may think I am an ******, but let me earn that reputation on my own. No help needed.

This post was edited by Beefcake at February 21, 2017 3:23 PM PST
    • 159 posts
    February 21, 2017 4:56 PM PST

Beefcake said:

It'd happen.  Rep griefing.

Unique per server is my vote.   I don't care if there's a Xilshale on each server.  I'm the one on my server.  If you're worried about cross server tells do like EQ had (/tell Morell.xilshale)

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 21, 2017 5:00 PM PST
    • 3852 posts
    February 21, 2017 5:03 PM PST

>so bare with me<

Oooh la la this sounds like it can be fun until the team notices and shuts it down <.

• 189 posts
    February 21, 2017 5:04 PM PST

I prefer unique first names, last names that are earned, and titles that are hard to get. As was posted earlier, I too remember those iconic names and titles from early EQ days, "Airwalking The Champion", "Morkenlar" or "Maddy Fae" from Prexus as well as some real jack holes.. I only ever used a first name for all my characters, I hope there is an option for no last name as well.

edit for spelling

This post was edited by Fairchild at February 21, 2017 5:07 PM PST
    • 9115 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:04 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Beefcake said:

It'd happen.  Rep griefing.

Unique per server is my vote.   I don't care if there's a Xilshale on each server.  I'm the one on my server.  If you're worried about cross server tells do like EQ had (/tell Morell.xilshale)

The only problem with this is if you ever want a server transfer, you will be the one changing your name, not the Xilshale on that server., so it can have an impact on players.

• 2752 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:08 PM PST

Kilsin said:

The only problem with this is if you ever want a server transfer, you will be the one changing your name, not the Xilshale on that server., so it can have an impact on players.

I think that is something we've all come to accept over the years. 

• 159 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:09 PM PST

Kilsin said:

If I choose to server xfer than that's on me.  If servers get merged who was made first?

No system will appease everyone, for all that you may as well just have each toon, each and every one, known by an account handle.  

/Who Balsavar.  Balsavar 12 Paladin, meadowlark fields

"Oh Balsavar made a paly.  I wonder if he could use that sword I have banked."

5 min later /who Balsavar.  Balsavar 45 Rogue, Tomb of Uberita

"Now he's on his Rogue, guess he's still camping that mask."

Would make ***hat policing easier that way anyway and enforce rep mattering.  No more FD alt to revenge train, no more crooked trader throwaway alt to rip ppl off in the trade area, no more ninjaloot/pass to main/delete (seen all these happen in the past on various games).  A lot of ppl have asked for account friend/ignore, this would also facilitate that request by default.  And would help curb gold spammer garbage with easier blocking after a report.

But that method would probably upset the RP crowd. Idk.

This post was edited by Xilshale at February 21, 2017 6:26 PM PST
    • 626 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:25 PM PST

Xilshale said:

Kilsin said:

If I choose to server xfer than that's on me.  If servers get merged who was made first?

No system will appease everyone, for all that you may as well just have each toon, each and every one, known by an account handle.  

"Oh Balsavar is on his paly.  Now he's on his Rogue."

Would make ***hat policing easier that way anyway and enforce rep mattering.  No more FD alt to revenge train, no more crooked trader throwaway alt to rip ppl off in the trade area, no more ninjaloot/pass to main/delete (seen all these happen in the past on various games).

But that method would probably upset the RP crowd.

This is actually what I proposed, but with a way to please the RP folks by allowing us to go by our Character First.Last or Account Handle. I myself would love all my characters to be seen as Saicred, and if I one day wake up and want to be known by my character handle Turd Ferguson I'd have the ability to just toggle the option to show my Character Name vs Account Handle/Name. 

Really its the only way I can see making everyone happy. Account Handles must be Unique meaning there is only one true Kilsin or Xilshale no matter what server you are on. Character Names however can be a mix of anything as long as the First Name and Last Name combined are unique. Meaning Kilsin Thegrey and Kilsin Thewhite would be valid Character names. You just couldn't have another Kilsin Thegrey in the game. The give us the options we want IMO in the easiest way possible. 

• 159 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:43 PM PST

Saicred said:

This is actually what I proposed, but with a way to please the RP folks by allowing us to go by our Character First.Last or Account Handle. I myself would love all my characters to be seen as Saicred, and if I one day wake up and want to be known by my character handle Turd Ferguson I'd have the ability to just toggle the option to show my Character Name vs Account Handle/Name. 

I'm not a fan of the toggleable first/last name if they show up in searches.  If it's a cosmetic "costume" for your name plate maybe....

• 187 posts
    February 21, 2017 6:49 PM PST

Xilshale said:

I agree with this. I really like my name, and it's upsetting when it's taken. If I log onto a server for the first time and my name is taken, typically I can go to another server... but not under this system.

I really feel sad that they're planning already for server mergers, too. Plan for server splits!

Xilshale said:No system will appease everyone, for all that you may as well just have each toon, each and every one, known by an account handle. 

Please no. Please, please, please no.

1. I like alts. I don't want to have all my alts have the exact same name.

2. I sometimes like to play an alt when my guild is raiding. I know, I know... I'm a bad person... But if I cannot hide IN the game, then I will find another game to play where I can hide for a while. Pushing people out of the game when they need a break from high pressure raiding or are just having a bad day and want to do a little tradeskilling and not take our frustration out on others... just a bad policy if you ask me.

Point being, while griefing is ONE reason for having multiple chars... there are loads and loads of legitimate reasons for it. It's like people telling me, "Well, you shouldn't be so worried about your privacy if you're not breaking the law!" Um, the fact is, it's perfectly legal for me to wear undies--even if I don't want the CIA to know what color they are. In short, even in games, there are many legit reasons to want a little privacy for a while. Letting the griefers spoil the cider is not a reasonable way to deal with griefers--it only hurts legit people because griefers find a way no matter what you do. Babies and bathwater and all that.

This post was edited by Amris at February 21, 2017 6:50 PM PST
    • 626 posts
    February 21, 2017 7:11 PM PST

I mean I get most don't want their Alts to have the same name, but I'm one who does. Everyone knows me as Saicred and even on my alts everyone calls me Saicred still unless then don't know me then I have to tell them "I'm Saicred"... Why not just make it a thing where we can choose to use an Account Handle vs Individual Character Names if we want :) - Doesn't mean everyone has to use it, and it could be optional.